PDA

View Full Version : Vegan/Vegetarian Low Carb Favorites

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

NoLogo
Sun, Dec-12-04, 10:16
I'm not sure if there is a thread similar to this one , but I thought I'd create my own and list some of the foods I find really good for a veggie lc.

So Nice Unsweetened Soy Milk (Fortified)- Great on it's own or in smoothies
Sol Burgers - Wheat-free ( I get the original )
Frozen raspberries/strawberries - Much cheaper when out of season , last longer when snacking
Mandarin Compressed Tofu- Made with organic soybeans, only additive listed is nigari (Magnesium Chloride)
Soy Protein Powder- Gives texture to smoothies

Well, those are some of the ones I really like. I'm interested to hear yours.

etoiles
Thu, Dec-23-04, 10:59
I have a couple of favorite things that I use on a regular basis.

- Morningstar veggie crumbles. They are an excellent and super easy substitute for ground beef in recipes and just taste great! Gives me a lot more recipe ideas

- Eden black soy beans - great to add to chili and high in fiber/protein

- Fantastic foods soup cups vegetarian/low carb versions- taste great, lower in calories, filling, what more could you ask for?

Will look forward to hear others' ideas

Sumayyah
Thu, Dec-30-04, 02:39
Hey there!!!

I am pretty partial to the Bocca burgers as well as the Morningstarcrumblers previously mentioned. The Bocca burgers do not fall apart when you fry them like some of the other brands..so it feels as though you are eating a real burger and not a mush patty!!! I have even given Bocca double cheeseburger to a meateater and he thought it tasted pretty good.

LC veggie eating is new to me..so I am still reading labels for everything else. I can not tell you how many times I have purchased soy milk and just left it in the fridge.!!! Scared to try it!!! Crazy right???

Sumayyah

VegLowCarb
Mon, Feb-14-05, 23:44
I have so many favorites, I don't know where to begin!

I love Dixie Diner's vegan Chicken Breast Fillets. Zero carbs and I love them best marinated and grilled on my stovetop grill. I make a mean Chick'n Parmsan with this product, and no one knows it isn't chicken.

Gardenburger's Buffalo Chicken Wings are out of this world good! 3g Net carbs. I'll have these with a giant salad and a hunk of low carb homemade bread, and that is a TV dinner made in heaven, in my opinion.

When I'm in the mood for a thick steak, I grab Momo's Kitchen's "Mo' Steak" and slather it with a rich marinade. Grills up in a flash and although it isn't exactly a steak, it comes pretty darned close.

Drat. Now I'm making myself hungry! LOL

aloethe
Fri, Mar-11-05, 04:52
Here you all are!! I so thought I was alone. This is what i came here for and here i was fighting with meat eating low carbers when what i really want to do is LOSE WEIGHT and stay VEGAN. My favorites? I am so into my salads. Spinach and lettuce with tofu or edamame beans, sunflower seeds, tomatoes, olives, a bit of shredded cabbage and carrot, cauliflower and olive oil and red wine vinegar. Smart dogs and smart deli and oh my god smart bacon with a tofu scramble with peppers and spinach, tumeric, curry, braggs and garlic salt in the morning !! Miso soup :) and veggie broth ...now i am really really hungry. I need to go to the store! Where do you do you get the sol burger? I have been trying to make my own wheat free veggie burger. I definantly want to do wheat free if i can but the smart bacon sure makes it more interesting even though before i did low carb i never really ate meat alternatives.. please keep posting stuff you all eat! oh yeah i love plums, tangerines, peaches and strawberries too!!!

Yay veggie low carbers!!! Peace and love to you!!

cmcole
Fri, Mar-11-05, 12:10
Schneider's Beef Tips (a new product, at least in Canada).
Tofu in all its forms. I'll even have it sliced with a little BBQ sauce on it, and some veggies on the side.
Deep frying my own tofu cubes and adding them to salads (even the flavoured type)
Flax Seed mixed with protein powder and boiling water as a hot cereal for breakfast

locarbbarb
Mon, Mar-28-05, 14:01
with thanks to cmcole for the inspiration!

This morning I took cmcole's advice about protein powder and flaxseed to make a hot cereal, but I added almond meal (ground almonds) and it was just GREAT and I wanted to share it with everyone:

1 scoop "Designer Whey Protein Powder" French Vanilla flavor
2 tbs. Bob's Red Mill Ground Flaxseed Meal
2 tbs. Ground Almond Meal

Add 1/2 to 3/4 c boiling water and about 1/3 pack of Sweet & Low

I could not have been happier to find a delicious hot cereal and keep it low-carb!

Here are the stats:

----------Whey Protein---2 tbs Flax---2 tbs. Almond
Calories:-------90------------60-----------90

Protein:-------18g------------3g----------3.5g

Carb:----------2g-------------0------------1
-----------------------(4 carb - 4 fiber)

Totals:
Cal: 240
Protein: 24.5g
Carb: 3g

Try it and let me know what you think! :heart:

spiderdust
Fri, Apr-22-05, 01:12
This thread dwindled, but I still wanted to share some of my low carb favorites!

Healthy Hemp Sprouted Bread (7 net carbs; a little on the high side, but much better than those puffy "low carb breads"
unsweetened soy milk
hulled hempseeds (great on salads; very nutty)
MetroMint unsweetened mint flavored water
black soybeans
Pete's Tofu2Go
Nutiva organic hemp protein powder
Trader Joe's soy & flaxseed tortilla chips
edamame
miso soup

Midori
Wed, May-04-05, 12:24
A big life-saver for me has been the Tasty Bites entrees. They are in the health food section of Fred Meyer; you can also order from their web site: www.tastybites.com

They have vegetarian, no preservative, pre-packaged dishes of Indian and Thai food. Some come with rice, but there are plenty of eggplant and spinach type dishes that do not. For about $3 a pop, I can take them to work, throw them in the microwave for 2 minutes, and have a tasty/exotic/low carb/vegetarian meal.

spiderdust
Wed, May-04-05, 14:03
I must be looking at the wrong Tasty Bites entrees. All of the ones I've seen usually have too many legumes in them.

Gaelen
Thu, May-05-05, 21:21
--Tasty Bites spinach paneer (spinach with cubes of Indian cheese)
--pappadums (at 3g ECC apiece, they can be a cracker, a sub for a tostada or quesadilla base, etc.)
--any version of Pete's Tofu2Go
--KEFIR! (higher protein and lower carb than yogurt)
--raw hulled pumpkin seeds
--almond meal, for muffins, toppings, pancakes, etc.
--ricotta cheese, to mix with berries or to bake with cinnamon and walnuts (sweet) or sun-dried roasted tomatoes and herbs (savory)

petcrazy
Fri, May-13-05, 12:09
Morningstar sausage patty and egg beaters!!!! I am addicted to them!!!

Cauliflower potato salad :) Very easy to make and tastes sooo good!!!

The dixie products are great!!! The carrot cake is amazing and only 2net carbs per slice.

spiderdust
Sat, May-14-05, 01:38
I first heard of the Dixie Diner products about 7 years ago, but I didn't know until recently that they had low carb products now. I'm curious about their no artificial sweetener/no sugar alcohol low carb bars!