PDA

View Full Version : Lifting for past 3 months

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sophotia
Tue, Dec-07-04, 10:09
Hello all...I have been lifting with my friend/trainer for the past 3 months (Was doing Curves a year before that) We minimally go 3 times/wk. I do very mimimal cardio if any...mainly due to the fact that I don't have time to stay at the gym and do it and I'd rather spend my hour there lifting than doing cardio.

Now my question is is it unrealistic for me to see much difference in my weight re: loss without the cardio? Since July I have been in the 170's. I am still in the lower 170's. Since July I have gone from a size 16 to 14. But not much else has changed. Now my diet hasn't been the best but it hasn't been much different that how I've been the last year and half before losing 65lbs. So since l started lifting my weight loss has slowed/stalled.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is "Can I lose weight doing weight lifting only as my only form of exercise?" :help:

lilli
Tue, Dec-07-04, 14:40
Yes, you can lose with only lifting. But you might not see big losses by the scale, because, especially as a relatively new lifter, you will be gaining alot of muscle (at same time as losing fat.) You have to really stick with your program and constantly challenge yourself to lift harder, though. We adapt to exercises quickly, and gain strength quickly, so if you're not working to your maximum potential every workout, you won't be getting much out of the lifting. Lifting the same 50 pounds of weight for your squat weeks on end won't cut it.

Work to your max and change your routine every couple of weeks and you should see dramatic changes in your body composition.

Cardio definitely adds to the fire, weightloss wise, but overall (IMHO, and i'm a dedicated lifter,) it isn't necessary to spend hours on a treadmill for overall health and conditioning. If you only have so long to spend in the gym, do weights. If you still want to do cardio, do it at home.

sophotia
Tue, Dec-07-04, 18:21
lilli thank U so much for your response!! And believe me...I do challenge myself every time. I know in my heart and & body if I'm not sore a day or so after I've worked a certain group of muscles then I didn't challenge myself enough. I actually had some idiot tell me recently that I was lifting too heavy. My trainer/friend informed him that I was stronger that he thought I was and that the weight I was lifting was fine.

Again thanx so much for your advice!!