PDA

View Full Version : New Member Needs Help

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

dianabeuch
Tue, Dec-07-04, 07:33
New Friends -
I thought I would give you a little running report on my progress in hopes you might be able to spot red flags before I can. I hope this doesn't bore you guys too much! :-)
Short history: I am 44, 5'8", weight 168 now and lost 50 lbs. on Atkins two years ago and kept most of it off until going on a cruise last March. Still battling the last 13 lbs, which won't seem to budge. I lift with my Bowflex alternating u.b. and l.b. every other day with a 1/2 hour on my treadmill at up to 7.5 mph (don't do cardio and lifting on the same days). I am following the Body for Life plan, without the carbs. I am getting weak-feeling in my workouts and the scale's not budging. Yes - I do look a lot better than two weeks ago, but I was looking forward to a dramatic loss like I got last time. Last time, I was also working out, but maybe not as hard.
Yesterday, with the help of DietPower.com, I logged all my food and my workout. The program said losing 13 lbs. by Christmas was "absurd". I might be pushing it, but I've easily lost ten lbs. in two weeks on Atkins before. Anyway, I want to see how far toward that goal I can get, and if the scale won't budge, at least I'd like to see the lower abdomen fat pad leave or at least get a LOT smaller. ;)
Anyway, to my horror, the two lc EAS shakes I drank yesterday to give myself five meals added up to 10 grms. of net carbs and that, with the rest of what I ate, added up to 56 carbs! OMG! I had no idea how quickly things added up. Ordinarily, I would have also added a big bowl of lc icecream for dessert, adding at least another 6 grams to my day. I'd already decided to cut that out. Do you think I should also cut out the shakes? Sometimes when I'm busy, I don't have time to eat. I thought they were a way to keep my body fueled up for my active lifestyle (horse trainer) and my workouts. Could they be sabotaging me? But I also ate a large handful of cashews, out of desperation. It seems there's nothing left to satisfy my need for a "treat"! I gave up my beloved beer, then wine, then diet coke (with aspartame). I'm running out of things to make myself feel happy about!
Should I stay below 20 grams of carbs/day for a couple weeks even though I'm in training and don't have much energy in my lifting? Help! I don't know whether to eat more carbs or cut back!
Any help would be grately appreciated,
Diana

rodmick
Thu, Dec-09-04, 06:23
Warning I'm a 4 yr lcer who let herself regain ! I would substitute almonds or another lower carb nuts for the cashews. I never had any problems with the shakes personally besides the bad taste. The bars are another story!
I'd say if your doing hard workouts dont be afraid to have the carbs a bit higher. Just make sure they are healthy carbs (veggies).

dianabeuch
Thu, Dec-09-04, 15:43
Thanks, Rodmick. I'm back on induction now and only working out with my Bowflex to keep my muscles up. When I feel like running again I will. I've lost 3 lbs. in 3 days. :)
Thanks for your imput,
Diana

rodmick
Thu, Dec-09-04, 15:55
Way to go! 3 lb in 3 days!

nets33
Thu, Dec-09-04, 16:23
I'm following BFL as well but not restricting carbs to Atkins levels. (I follow the BFL program by the book.) I probably have 100 to 200 g of carbs a day. My weight loss averages 1 to 2 pounds a week steady since my first challenge, which is a very healthy weight loss. A total loss of 50lbs and counting.

If you are feeling weak after lifting you might want to consider a smaller carb-up on these days to get your body/muscles through the workout.

I do think that 13 pounds in three weeks is asking your body a bit much and wouldn't be a sustainable weight loss. Since it appears that you've been on this WOE for a while it will take some time to get the 13 pounds off. Don't be dissapointed with 1 to 3 pounds a week - it's still a loss.

I would agree that bars and shakes can stall weight loss. Some people react negatively to the stuff in these things. I always feel much better when I have a "real" meal. Can you cook up a batch of chicken ahead of time and have it on hand when you have to eat on the run? I cook up meals for an entire week at at time and freeze them so that they are easlily accessible and eaten.

And that's my $.02... :)
Kiks

dianabeuch
Thu, Dec-09-04, 17:52
Thanks, Kiks!
I found it hard on BFL to not gain weight. I may try it again, or some semblance of higher carbs at least, once this 10 lbs. comes off. I think I may be just highly sensitive to carbs.
I lost 10 lbs. my first two weeks on Atkins last time, so I know its possible for me and easy. I've kept all but 10 lbs. off for two years, and that came on during a five day cruise. :)
Thanks for your imput,
Diana