PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Splenda (absolutely no carbs)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pages : [1] 2

IslandGirl
Tue, Oct-02-01, 11:52
It's TIME once again to make our voices heard, and to be persisent. There's a very good reason I'm saying this right now. I happened to be having a look at the http://www.LowCarbLuxury.com/featurearticles.html site (US-based) and RIGHT AT THE TOP is a 'rumour' as follows:

Here's the scoop! Liquid Splenda will be here shortly –– right on your grocer's shelf! It will first be available at the Splenda website to order online, then will go to general distribution! (Currently liquid Splenda is available only through several online merchants who import it from Brazil, hence it is considerably more costly.)

They're a bit off, the online merchants have lost access to most of the liquid Splenda (rumour has it the manufacturer J&J is leaning on them and the distributors can't get it). The present state of affairs in CANADA is that large quantities only can be sold to commercial operations that use it in products. Ouch.

So, I called the Splenda Canada 'hotline' at 1-800-561-0070 and made a FORMAL request (write this down, take my name and number) for Liquid Splenda at the retail level in this country. Here's the kicker... the lady I spoke to said that in a year she's only had 2 (I'm #2) requests for Liquid Splenda, lots of requests for Brown Splenda, more packets, stuff like that. I gave her a brief thumbnail sketch of the North American growth (explosive) of folks with an interest in zero-carb no-filler Splenda (i.e., hypoglycemics, diabetics and the glucose intolerant, just for starters.

ANYWAY! To make a long story short, if you want access to Liquid Splenda in the forseeable future:
- please call the 800 number above and ask for it, FIRMLY.
- ask your grocery store manager to ask his Distributors for it.
Repeat often.

Thank you! :wave:

IslandGirl
Tue, Oct-02-01, 12:11
It's TIME once again to make our voices heard, and to be persisent. There's a very good reason I'm saying this right now. I happened to be having a look at the http://www.LowCarbLuxury.com/featurearticles.html site (US-based) and RIGHT AT THE TOP is a 'rumour' as follows:

Here's the scoop! Liquid Splenda will be here shortly –– right on your grocer's shelf! It will first be available at the Splenda website to order online, then will go to general distribution! (Currently liquid Splenda is available only through several online merchants who import it from Brazil, hence it is considerably more costly.)

They're a bit off, the online merchants have lost access to most of the liquid Splenda (rumour has it the manufacturer J&J is leaning on them and the distributors can't get it). The present state of affairs in CANADA is that large quantities only can be sold to commercial operations that use it in products. Ouch.

So, I called the Splenda Canada 'hotline' at 1-800-561-0070 and made a FORMAL request (write this down, take my name and number) for Liquid Splenda at the retail level in this country. Here's the kicker... the lady I spoke to said that in a year she's only had 2 (I'm #2) requests for Liquid Splenda, lots of requests for Brown Splenda, more packets, stuff like that. I gave her a brief thumbnail sketch of the North American growth (explosive) of folks with an interest in zero-carb no-filler Splenda (i.e., hypoglycemics, diabetics and the glucose intolerant, just for starters.

ANYWAY! To make a long story short, if you want access to Liquid Splenda in the forseeable future:
- please call the 800 number above and ask for it, FIRMLY.
- ask your grocery store manager to ask his Distributors for it.
Repeat often.

Thank you! :wave:

doreen T
Tue, Oct-02-01, 12:13
I too have phoned McNeil (the Cdn distributor of Splenda) to inquire about filler-free Splenda, and received the same spiel as you. What I was told by them at the time is that in fact, pure sucralose is indeed manufactured here in Canada -- McNeil's head office is in Guelph Ontario -- but it is sent to the US to be further processed into the powder and packets, which are then shipped back to Canada ... and we pay for the extra shipping and duty.. :)

I'm doing some interesting (and nauseating) research on the maltodextrin filler ... it's used to bulk up all of the intense sweeteners, not just Splenda .. Equal/Nutrasweet, SugarTwin, Sucaryl, Sweet'n'Low ... the list goes on and on. Scary stuff.

Doreen

Natrushka
Tue, Oct-02-01, 12:42
Ok, I'm home today and I'll be on the phone shortly.

Thx Judy for the info.
Nat

IslandGirl
Tue, Oct-02-01, 15:59
{can I call you Dot?}

I think Bonnie said she called as well... but perhaps got a different person? Who knows. I believe the key will be repeat calls, and somewhat insistent ones...

On the other subject, I've had my subliminal feeling (not put into words thus far) that maltoD, like many of the manufactured sugars, acts much like fructose and therefore has an impact in the liver that Mother Nature never intended. Remember those commercials about "it's not NICE to fool with Mother Nature"?!? I can just see the finger wagging now...

Keep us posted on the research, dear heart?

IslandGirl
Tue, Oct-23-01, 11:14
So I'm wondering how many of you actually got a chance to make this free phone call?

For that matter, how many of you saw this post before it drifted off down the page under the press of other conversations.... hmmmmmm.

Natrushka
Tue, Oct-23-01, 11:27
I did! I did! The guy who answered didn't seem all that "aware" of things, but I made him take down my name and info with the understanding that I wanted Liquid Splenda available to the public.

Nat

IslandGirl
Tue, Oct-23-01, 12:08
Nice to hear from you!

You can probably look forward to some free coupons, including one for a full box of the Splenda, from their Marketing department... complete with form letter.

I'm of a mind to (when I get a minute) write back and get a bit snippy about wanting a real response about the possibilities of the liquid, I certainly wasn't scouting for coupons(!) fer gawd's sake....

Ah well.

IslandGirl
Tue, Oct-23-01, 12:10
Dearest Natrushka,
as I am not an Administrator/Moderator for this particular forum, can I ask if you will make this Thread/Poll "sticky" so it floats at the top and more people get to see it??

If you could do this, I'd really appreciate it.

Ruth
Tue, Oct-23-01, 12:40
Judi,

Thanks for the tip! I'll call tomorrow when I have time. Life is crazy today, 3 appts in a row. Gotta go,

Ruth

Natrushka
Tue, Oct-23-01, 12:42
Originally posted by IslandGirl
Dearest Natrushka,
as I am not an Administrator/Moderator for this particular forum, can I ask if you will make this Thread/Poll "sticky" so it floats at the top and more people get to see it??

Done!

I will be watching for my coupons. Wonder if it will include any for liquid Splenda? ;)

N

madpiano
Wed, Oct-24-01, 06:55
Hiya

I actually ticked "Right Away", even though I will not be able to make the call. It is a bit expensive from the UK...But I would like to see Splenda on our shelves full stop. Liquid or any other form ! I believe they will be selling it in early 2002, but I am not sure, if we will get the liquid version.

Greetings
Sabine

Debster
Wed, Oct-24-01, 20:24
Is it just in Canada?

I looked for it at the grocery store today and they didn't have it. I live in California.

Is the 800 number just for Canada?

IslandGirl
Thu, Oct-25-01, 00:06
Debster, the 800 number is the Canadian number, BUT I might have the US number around here somewhere... though you probably don't need it as you can click directly on http://www.splenda.com and you'll be at the US website (mucho info there) . Also, both the packets and the 'bulk' Splenda ARE available in most US stores, it depends strictly on the stores so ask 'em if they don't have it on the shelf. The liquid Splenda isn't available anywhere except South America right now, and that's far far away from everyone...

Just a sec, I'm going to go rummage... dang, no I cleared that email with the US 800 telephone number but I bet you can get good contact information at the Splenda website above.

MadPiano, I appreciate your support, however remotely applied :wave: ... by the way, I could look into shipping, for example, 2 boxes of the 'bulk' to you in England, I'd have the measurements, weight and Splenda-cost of the package, and could estimate what it would cost you in Canadian dollars (or the equivalent in English pounds). PM me if you are interested, with your mailing address? It might be worth it as the Splenda is quite inexpensive in this country... and postage by slow-boat :rolleyes: might not be TOO prohibitive.

IslandGirl
Thu, Oct-25-01, 00:49
Addendum

The US number to call about Liquid Splenda, and your opinion on whether it should be available in carb-free no-filler liquid form, is 1-800-561-0070

Go!

Bez
Fri, Oct-26-01, 12:53
Hi Judi,

Want to offer my support and if madpiano doesn't mind and takes you up on the offer I would like to have a package of splenda too if she or any others would like to be included, we could split the cost.

Let me know if postage and costings are expensive as I use a really good courier company through work and they might do me a deal if I ask nicely :D :D :D

Thanks for all you efforts with this and if I could I'd phone up too, we don't have any decent sugar substitutes here :(

Bez

:wave: :wave:

PatHawk
Fri, Oct-26-01, 15:43
From one island gal to another - I will call right away, will also visit the website.

LadyRider
Fri, Oct-26-01, 16:06
I'm in the US... and we can't get it anywhere.. I called the online vendor that I purchased it from previously, and she told me they had an order pending and hoped to have it back in stock by Christmas.

I'm just glad I bought 3 bottles last time!.... EBAY anyone? LOL

Actually, I wouldn't give it up... I'll have to use it more sparingly.

Thanks for the info.

tamarian
Fri, Oct-26-01, 16:47
LadyRider!

Welcome aboard. I just love your sig, very creative!

Wa'il

Ka3n
Fri, Oct-26-01, 17:33
Here's the US number: 1-800-777-5363

IslandGirl
Sat, Oct-27-01, 01:21
Greetings, Earl/Bez! The same applies as in my post to madpiano... I can't do any estimating without a mailing address, and you can reach me with such private stuff either by clicking on the logo below (there's a contact email address on the webpage attached to the LCFE logo) or PMing me here on the forum.

As for you and madpiano getting together, hmmmmm, interesting notion but are you in the same region, never mind city, in the UK?

:wave:

ps: thanks, PatHawk!

Elihnig
Sun, Oct-28-01, 06:48
Though, I went to the website and e-mailed my request.

Funny though, it did not give me a message saying it got my message, it took me back to my post. I checked to make sure that I filled in the required fields. Just to be safe I sent it again!

Elihnig

Kay
Sun, Oct-28-01, 23:17
Hi Judy,

I phoned in shortly after I read your original post. The woman gave me the information about liquid Splenda being unavailable except from Brazil and explained that it would be extremely expensive to buy in Canada. She wanted to know how much I would be willing to pay for it. This sounds to me as if they are at least listening and considering.

lilwannabe
Wed, Oct-31-01, 11:36
Hello Island Girl...from one to another....What is the benifit of liquid splenda...verses the powder form? I have the powder form...and like it for making sweets.

IslandGirl
Thu, Nov-01-01, 23:13
Hi, Lilwannabe, the important difference is that there are zero (none, nada, zilch, diddly squant) carbs in the liquid versus the carbs used in the filler for ALL packets or measure-for-measure ("powder") sweeteners. Example: 1 Cup of Splenda powder, used in baking, is 24 carbs. Liquid equivalent is zero.

This is probably more important to those on the lower carb programs (CALP is not so rigorous) or those that are more sensitive to maltodextrin...

Hope that helps.

lilwannabe
Fri, Nov-02-01, 12:21
Well Thank you...Now I know

Caro
Sat, Nov-03-01, 18:11
I live in the UK, so can't easily participate in your phone poll.

However I e-mailed Splenda last week.

I got very cross when I couldn't get hold of Carbolite brand sweetener, which is Splenda without the carbs (they used fibre as filler instead of Maltodextrin). So having complained to Carbolite about them discontinuing their sweetener (their reply - 'It was not a good seller"), I started on Splenda for their liquid sweetener.

I got the following reply from Splenda:

"At this time, neither a liquid nor a tablet form is available in the U.S. for home use.
I will forward your request to our Sales & Marketing Department."

If anyone else wants to e-mail Splenda the reply address on the e-mail is: --Send a PM--. The phone no on the e-mail is 1-800-777-5363.

I only have one box of Carbolite sweetener left - what chances Splenda come through before it is finished!

2big
Wed, Nov-07-01, 08:37
I went to their web site at http://www.splenda.com and filled out a customer comment card, which is another way to get the message across that we want it in liquid form. I have also started using erythritol, which is available in granular form and contains zero carbs. I think it may be about the same $ as using the liquid Splenda. The erythritol is grainier than Splenda and costs twice as much as powder Splenda, but it is worth it to me when I want to avoid carbs in the things I make. It is available at www.carberschoice.com and at www.beyond-a-century.com if anyone is interested.

russ
Sat, Nov-10-01, 03:08
I just emailed my request. I never knew that a liquid form would be zero carb. Now i'm interested.

Victoria
Sat, Nov-10-01, 15:37
I just bought my first box of Splenda yesterday. I could only find the packets.... But I tried it in my coffee this morning and it was pretty good. Now does it have any side-effects? And if it's made from sugar, then how come it has no or less than 1 carb? Also, I live in California, is it available in other forms than the packets. I've copied down some recipes from this website and want to try them. But I can't find the baking kind of Splenda. I will be waiting for the U.S. toll free number and will call to make let them know we want more availability. Thanks for the info!! :wave: Victoria :rheart:

gecolon
Sun, Nov-11-01, 12:57
I live in Pennsylvania, and here they sell liquid splenda in Kmart.
The powdered splenda list 0 carbs, but it actually has carbs in it.

IslandGirl
Sun, Nov-11-01, 18:26
Victoria: ;)
You can use the packets in all kinds of recipes, just convert them ... 1 packet equals about 2 teaspoons of the granular ("baking") Splenda. Information about how the stuff is made from sugar (it's a chemical conversion) is widely available, both on the Splenda website and all over the web. Also, using the Search button on this website will get you lots and lots of information on this subject. Recipes, too. You don't have to wait for the phone number, it's listed several times in this very thread (collection of posts), you can call them anytime and they will probably send you more information, too, maybe some coupons. By the way, it's up to the store what kind they carry, you might want to check in different stores (grocery, drugstore, health food store) and see if they have the granular kind as well as the packets. If they don't carry it, ask them to. It's the only way they know what their customers want.

Gecolon:
Liquid Splenda? In the US? In K-Mart? Are you positive? Both Splenda Canada and Splenda US are pretty clear right now that you can't get the stuff without their permission. Hmmmmmm, I wonder if it's available in Mexico? If at all possible, could you get information from the label and share it with us here? The place it's made, the full name, the Ingredient List? Would be very helpful to your fellow lowcarbers. :wave:

gecolon
Mon, Nov-12-01, 11:30
Well, I had ordered liquid splenda online about 5mos ago. When I ran out I asked a coworker [who is also lo carbing], she advised me that they sell it at K-mart. I am going to check (for myself) this weekend, and I will get back to you. :roll:

*When I tried to order some more online I was advised that the demand outweighed the supply and there just wasn't any available. I used to order it from here: www.synergydiet.com

** sucrose information deleted :) by Moderator **
** SUCROSE is the chemical name for SUGAR, not Splenda**
** SUCRALOSE is the chemical name for the artificial sweetener in Splenda; Splenda is the registered brand or trade name **

Victoria
Mon, Nov-12-01, 11:51
Thank you Islandgirl,
I will check out the Splenda website again. I'm new to this computer thing. Just got my very 1st one a month ago. Also thanks for letting me know I can use the packets for baking. I will try that. I just used some in whipping cream this morning as a special treat for my coffee. I probably only used a quarter of the packet and it was wonderful. Not too sweet!!
I did see the U.S. number since I had posted, so will call. It's good to let them know what we want. :) I have tried to stay away from asparatame, so splenda seems to be a good alternative. I noticed on the Splenda website that Diet RC had Splenda in it rather than Nutrasweet. That helps a great deal, although I don't expect to drink too many soft drinks. I drink water mostly, sometimes ice tea without sweetener. But there are times when the whole family is drinking sodas(like at a picnic) and I would like to have one also. :rolleyes: Always good to have alternatives, so I don't find myself "tempted".
Again, thank you for your imput! Victoria

IslandGirl
Tue, Nov-13-01, 20:34
2big, thanks! for filling out the customer comment card.

Just so you know, though, Erythritol is not QUITE zero carb as it is a "sugar alcohol".

The potential issues with sugar alcohols are listed quite extensively in Doreen's article "the truth about low carb sweeteners info" (see the quick link over on the right there), and I"ve just posted some details on the stuff in this very forum, under its own thread.

FYI and hope this clarifies things!

gecolon
Sun, Nov-18-01, 11:41
No liquid Splenda at Kmart [just granulated]. Da Vinci (sp) syrups and Diet rite are made with liquid splenda. I guess I am going to have to go out and purchase those until the liquid is available again.

IslandGirl
Wed, Jan-02-02, 13:00
This is from the Canadian Splenda webpage, at Splenda Canada, FAQs (http://www.splenda.ca/en/about_splenda/faqs.html), where despite the comments from the 800 Operator (see way at the beginning of this thread) about there being very few requests for Liquid Splenda (HA!), there is actually a FAQ (or Frequently Asked Question) about, yes, you guessed it, Liquid Splenda.

There's other handy info on this page about how much and what you can use Splenda for... have a look.

kristin
Thu, Jan-03-02, 15:58
Splenda now has a new 1-800 number:

1-800-7-SPLENDA (1-800-777-5363).

But I went to their website and also found that you can submit your comments on-line --> just go to www.splenda.com and click on the Contact Us button on the top and submit your request for Liquid Splenda in your local grocery store!

Please, let's get them to do this for us! :hyper:

K.

IslandGirl
Thu, Jan-03-02, 16:17
Splenda now has a new 1-800 number

Yep, that's the US-based Splenda 800 number and website ....

just as a refresher:

Splenda Canada is at http://www.splenda.ca and the Splenda Canada 'hotline' is 1-800-561-0070 .

Now, if there are any volunteers who can come up with a European-based phone number and website , that would be very helpful to some of our other members!

Meanwhile, if you have ANY interest in Liquid Splenda (with NO filler carbohydrates like dextrose or maltodextrin or glycerin) being available, no matter where you are, contact the websites and/or the free 800 telephone numbers and make your wants known. Perhaps even MORE effective? Let your favourite Store Manager or Customer Service person know you'd very much like this product!

doreen T
Thu, Jan-03-02, 16:24
From the Splenda.ca FAQ page, link given above (thanks Judi :thup: ) .. here's a list of the countries where Splenda is currently available:Where can I find the product?

SPLENDA* products can be found in grocery stores, pharmacies and discount department stores. It is available internationally in:

Argentina
Austrailia
Bahrain
Brazil
Canada
Dominican Republic
Georgia
Lebanon
Mexico
New Zealand
Qatar
Romania
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Tadjikistan
USA Doreen

JustAGirl
Thu, Jan-03-02, 17:18
i've never tried liquid splenda but i called anyway :D
hope it helps
:heart: girl

JustAGirl
Wed, Jan-09-02, 00:47
Originally posted by LadyRider
I'm in the US... and we can't get it anywhere.. I called the online vendor that I purchased it from previously, and she told me they had an order pending and hoped to have it back in stock by Christmas.

I'm just glad I bought 3 bottles last time!.... EBAY anyone? LOL

Actually, I wouldn't give it up... I'll have to use it more sparingly.

Thanks for the info.

LadyRider,
have you heard from the online vendor?

donnaj
Wed, Jan-16-02, 18:44
I just finished asking about the liquid splenda. I hope this help with us getting it sooner. :wave:

TerrieP
Wed, Jan-16-02, 19:21
Here is the US number.

1-800-7SPLENDA
1-800-777-5363

The comment card is not working properly, so best bet is to call.

donnaj
Thu, Jan-17-02, 07:18
Thanks Terry,
I will call this morning. :wave:

chnklberri
Sun, Feb-03-02, 12:58
I just tried to call the 1800 number. Today is Sunday (whoops!), so I'll call tomorrow. In the mean time, I will visit their website and request there.

I know that Dr. Ann de Wees Allen (Glycemic Research Institute) is not a proponent of the Atkins diet, but she does have zero carb/low glycemic sweeteners on her website:
http://www.anndeweesallen.com
under "Dr. Allen's Products."

She also has zero carb sweetened coffee and tea. I think she also has an energy drink. I haven't tried it yet but I think I'll order some to try it.

The article she has on the coffee/caffeine
thermogenic connection was quite interesting.

I have ordered the Trutina Dulcem sweetener and it tastes like sugar. A little goes a long way. I think I'll order the Ki-Sweet also. Let you know how it tastes...

Misuzu :wave:

clwydd
Mon, Feb-04-02, 14:42
The site very carefully does not claim that this is zero carb, rather that it has a zero glycemic response. I did a search and found a site that says it has just under 5 g of carbohydrates per teaspoon, which is the same as sugar.

There was also a legal battle going on between Dr. Allen and Suzanne Somers over Somersweet, a product with similar claims. Do a search for Somersweet and fructose to find out more about it.

Susan

chnklberri
Mon, Feb-04-02, 15:00
Susan,

You are correct. The product has zero GLYCEMIC RESPONCE, NOT zero carbs.

I did not know about the conflict between Dr. Allen and S. Sommers. Thanks for the info, I'll look into it.
What is Sommersweet? What are the ingredients?

Misuzu
;)

clwydd
Mon, Feb-04-02, 21:42
There are some posts about Somersweet on the site--just click the search button at the top of the page, and type it in. I mentioned Somersweet and the legal thing, because the products appear to be very similar (one is based on kiwi, the other on a fruit called lo han), so reservations people have expressed about one would probably apply to the other.

Susan

chnklberri
Tue, Feb-05-02, 01:38
Hi Susan!

I went to Suzanne Sommers website. I wanted to try the SommerSweet but they are back ordered on the product.

I went to Target today and found a diabetic sweetener called"DiabetiSweet"
The ingredients are: Isomalt and Acesulfame-K.

I checked the Sugar and Sweeteners Report and they are both low glycemic.

I hope it tastes good.... I'll let you know.

OK, I'm going to the SommerSweet thread!

Talk to you soon! :roll:

wate
Fri, Feb-15-02, 09:21
Hi! I'm newly registered here and found the forum during an online search for liquid Splenda. Someone mentioned being able to get liquid Splend online from Brazil. Does anyone know a website that source for liquid Splenda online? Thanks!

donnaj
Fri, Feb-15-02, 19:26
Wade,

Welcome to the forumn. If anyone know where to get it well be these ladies.

Donna :wave:

IslandGirl
Tue, Feb-19-02, 13:12
Hi, Wate, and welcome.

No new news, but I do recommend you read ALL of this conversational thread about the Liquid Splenda. Then you will have your answer.

Enjoy!

wate
Wed, Feb-20-02, 15:27
I e-mailed Splenda through their website telling them what a benefit liquid Splenda would be to low carb dieters and this is an exerpt of their reply: "Although we do sell a liquid form of SPLENDA (TM) No Calorie Sweetener in other countries,
SPLENDA (TM) Granular and Packets have been overwhelmingly popular and are the preferred forms among consumers in the United States. " :eek:

Hard to know how they know its preferred when they have never offered it here. Must something they got from some focus group. Go figure!

donnaj
Fri, Feb-22-02, 10:45
It is hard to believe that companies think they know what ccnsumers prefer. I have ask my local grocery store to order more low carb food and the manager said it would not be profitable for them. I try to explain that thier is a growing population of lo carb dieter or people watching their diabetes. West Virginia is number one in the nation with the population dying of complication of this disease. It is hard to believe that money has overruled the benefits of such products as liquid splenda. Well I am sorry to ramble but I feel better getting it off my chest.
Thanks,

wate
Fri, Feb-22-02, 11:54
After giving up my search for liquid Splenda, (I even went to yahoo, Brazil to try to find a place that sells it but no luck) I ordered some sugar free syrups from naturesflavors.com. I ordered a chocolate and a vanilla. They are sweetened Splenda and have no carbs. I got them today at work and just used the chocolate to sweeten my coffee. Not bad at all--it makes a pretty good mocha. I'm going to try to fiddle with some recipes to see how they work in sweetening other things--maybe cheesecake. Now I'm wondering what flavor syrup would be good in ice tea! I'll have to look at the fruit syrups--maybe peach or raspberry.

donnaj
Fri, Feb-22-02, 16:59
Hi Wate and welcome to the forumn. I too have searched the internet for sugar free splenda and haven't found it yet. I love the DeVinci syrups(sugar free). They are wonderful. My favorite is raspberry. I use the chocolate and raspberry together with coffee, splenda and cream. It is out of this world.

For flavored ice tea get Bigelow herbal tea and place five bags in hot water and let stand about 5 minutes. It is a very nice treat. I love the peach myself.

Well better go for now.

IslandGirl
Wed, Feb-27-02, 20:33
Check out this VERY interesting post over in the LowCarb Kitchen, here's a direct link to the post:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=35388

wate
Thu, Feb-28-02, 09:49
Wow! I'd searched the web every way I could think of and had come up empty. I was sure it wasn't out there. Thanks so much. I've already ordered.

schnebbles
Fri, Mar-01-02, 12:13
I emailed them, does that count??

chnklberri
Fri, Mar-01-02, 13:51
Hello Kathy and Wate!

Welcome!!!!

Agave nectar/syrup:
(From the label)
"25% sweeter than sugar so you can use less and save on calories. Glycemic index very low.
1 serving Blue Agave Nectar = A free food (less than 20 calories or 5gr Carb)"
Distributed by the Original Beverage Corp., Malibu, California (310)838-9431

DiabetiSweet:
Serving Size: 1 tsp.
Calories: 8.9
Total Fat: 0g
Sodium: 0mg
Total Carbohydrate: 4.4 g
Alcohol Sugar: 4.4 g
Protein: 0g

Ingredients: Isomalt, Acesulfame-K
(From the Sugar and Sweeteners Report, both low glycemic.)

This stuff looks like sugar and tastes like sugar! Haven't read the report on Ace-K yet, let you guys know what I find out.

Misuzu

WaytoGo
Fri, Mar-01-02, 21:55
I will call first thing Monday Morning. I did e-mail Splenda last week and got a wishy-washy reply about liquid Splenda. I did not know they had brown sugar Splenda but I am interested in that too.
I go to Montral a lot and will check their shelves.....
I love the regular Splenda and everyone in my family uses it.
Together we can move moutains... or to paraphrase... Splenda Co. and the US laws.... ;)

colinjn
Tue, Mar-12-02, 10:50
Hi Island Girl,
Thanks for all your calculations. I contacted Splenda as well. We have to think like a marketing manager and show that there is demand and help them to have the resources to pitch the new product at meetings. Remember that there is competition inside the company as well as out. Each product manager is competing with another for company resources. Don't assume there is not interest, just lack of ammo. Who knows who or what you/we are up against.

My question is on the bulk Splenda you had a link for. I am unfamiliar with ordering across the border. Are there a lot of hidden costs?

Thanks, Colin

wate
Tue, Mar-12-02, 11:11
chnklberri-- Thanks for the welcome. I'm mostly lurking so far but am learning a lot from the wisdom of the people here. I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but with a history of diabetes in my family, low carbing seems to be a good route to staying out of trouble on that front as well as a sensible way to lose weight.

I have been trying to find agave. I read some where (maybe the sugar busters forum) that it is getting extremely hard to find becuase the growers can get better prices selling it to the tequila makers. It is not being sold in any of my local health food stores. I'm going to call the supplier you listed. Thanks!

On the other hand I got pure powdered sucralose--no added ingredients--from Best Body Products. One teaspoon of it is equivalent to about 3 cups of sugar, so to make measuring easier, I mixed a teaspoonful with a cup and a half of water to use to sweeten my coffee and tea. I haven't tryed it in any recipes yet because I only got it yesterday.

chnklberri
Tue, Mar-12-02, 14:12
Hi Wate!

I got my 100% sucralose in the mail the other day... What a great idea.... I haven't done anything with it either. I will mix my own liquid Splenda. Thanks for the tip!

I purchased 3 great books using Splenda as an ingredient. They are:

Slendid Low Carbing
Splendid Desserts
More Splendid Desserts

I haven't tried any recipes but they look easy to prepare and DELICIOUS!!!! All 3 books are paperback and have excellent color pictures. I purchased them from www.sweety.com The authors name is Jennifer Eloff.

Take care and happy low carbing!

lizbethann
Tue, Mar-12-02, 16:54
Could anyone tell me where you ordered this from, I would be so grateful, I cannot have maltodextrin so this would be a blessing!

thank you, Liz

chnklberri
Tue, Mar-12-02, 17:20
Hi Liz!

I purchased mine from Best Body Products. The telephone number is 858-751-2460. The email address is bestbody~myrealbox.com

They have a website as well. I don't have it handy at the moment. I'm sure if you email them they can give you the web address as well.

wate
Wed, Mar-13-02, 09:53
The web address for Best Body Products is http://home.nethere.net/smilodon/bbs/sucralose.htm

I ordered from them and found them to be helpful and the delivery was fairly quick.

Karla
Thu, Mar-14-02, 10:30
Well, I called McNeill, the makers of Splenda, to ask about liquid Splenda. The person I talked to said that it is only available to consumers in Australia or New Zealand. They do sell a highly concentrated liquid to large food processors here, but it is 600 times sweeter than sugar and she said it just wouldn't work in small recipes. They even encourage small bakeries and small food processors to use the granular version for that reason.

I did stress that, there would probably be a good market for the less concentrated liquid here, but who knows when or if they'll make it.

In the meanwhile I am going to try the liquid sucralose from Best Body Supplements. Anything I can do to reduce the carbs in desserts and sweet recipes is a good thing.

Karla

colinjn
Thu, Mar-14-02, 11:02
Here is the reply I got From McNeil.

SPLENDA* in liquid form is not currently available in any country as the cost is prohibitive to most consumers. As you may know, sucralose is 600 times sweeter than sugar. SPLENDA* Granular is diluted with maltodextrin so that it is more convenient to use in a home kitchen environment. Although SPLENDA* Granular is not carbohydrate-free, it contains only 0.494 g per tsp. Should you require more information on acceptable dietary levels of carbohydrates, please consult your dietician or nutritionist. Please be assured that your comments have been transmitted to the appropriate personnel in our Marketing Department for review.

IslandGirl
Thu, Mar-14-02, 23:01
Colin, to answer your question (better late than never) :D , if you opt for Ground Shipping, e.g., UPS, you will run into surprising brokerage/border fees from the courier company. They often forget to mention this, and the vending company doesn't often realize it (though they should). Always ask for Postal (reasonable) or Air shipping, and you MAY get a Customs person working in the Post Office (normal) randomly pulling your package, eyeing it, deciding it gets a GST bill and a $5 Customs "service" charge :D and sending it on to you. That's not TOO bad.

Everybody else talking about the pure sucralose from Best Body supplements in San Diego, it's NOT liquid, it's the pure powder, without any carriers (water OR maltodextrin) whatever. It's VERY concentrated. Making a liquid out of it is a good way to be able to handle it. I do that with white stevia extract as well (before you ask, 1 teaspoon white stevia extract to 3 tablespoons of filtered water, and then I put it in a dropper bottle). I recommend, especially for you newbies here, that you read this whole conversational thread because every question you've asked here in the last couple of days has already been answered!
:D :daze: :D :daze: :D :daze: :D :daze:

fleadogs
Mon, Mar-18-02, 14:27
I got all excited about ordering conc. high intensity sucralose, but when I clicked on the hypertext for the Best Body Products company I get a "the page is missing or does not exist" HELP!

Thanks, fleadogs

Karla
Thu, Mar-28-02, 13:32
I received my pure sucralose from Best Body Supplements yesterday, and today I made an Almond Flour Poundcake from the lowcarbluxury site.

First I put the sucralose in a glass jar, but some stuck to the sides of the plastic bag in which it was packed. So I poured water in the bag, then poured that into another small jar and kept adding water until it tasted like something I might put in my coffee.

For the cake I creamed the butter, added the eggs and the flavorings, then mixed the baking powder and the sucralose with the almond flour before mixing that with the butter and eggs.

After reading here that 1 tsp of sucralose is equal to 3 cups of sugar, I replaced the cup of Splenda called for in the recipe with 3/8 tsp. of the sucralose. :cool:

Well, of course I couldn't even wait for the cake to cool before I tried it, so I can report that it is delicious! It's sweet enough but not too sweet. And by my calculations, if you cut the cake into 12 pieces (it's baked in a 9-inch cake pan) it has about 3 grams of carbs each, since the entire cake has 35 grams.

That's low enough to slap on a few sliced strawberries and some whipped cream and call it strawberry shortcake! :cheer:

Since I don't know how far and ounce of sucralose will go, I am keeping a log of how much I use; when it's gone I can do a cost comparison with Splenda. Comparing the cost to that of sugar would be too stressful; this WOL is healthy, but not necessarily cheap! :daze:

Karla

donnaj
Fri, Mar-29-02, 05:53
Hi Karla, your cake sounds wonderful and the carb count WOW!! I love this way of life.

juliemacg
Wed, Apr-03-02, 19:16
I, too, have called Splenda and gotten both mixed information and total avoidance to direct questions. I have also e-mailed twice full letters requesting explanation, and received precious little in return. So, what to do? LET SPLENDA KNOW that we all nokw erythritol is coming out soon, is already available to large commercial producers, and is better than, and in combination with, makes Splenda BETTER than it is without erythritol. It is absolutely amazing! It is the most-like-sugar product I've ever sampled, and truly has no after taste. Experimenting with 4 willing volunteers on my day job, not one of them could determine that it was an AS.
So, take heart and be patient, but in the meantime, LET'S LET SPLENDA KNOW WE WILL DROP THEM THE MOMENT ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE IS AVAILABLE IF THEY DON'T START TREATING US BETTER!
Anyway, that's my feeling on the subject.

Splenda dejected and rejected in DC,
j

juliemacg
Wed, Apr-03-02, 19:26
Liquid Splenda, Look Out!! Erythritol is on the Way!
I, too, have called Splenda and gotten both mixed information and total avoidance to direct questions. I have also twice e-mailed full letters requesting explanation, and received precious little in return. So, what to do? LET SPLENDA KNOW that we all know erythritol is coming out soon, is already available to large commercial producers, and is better than, and in combination with, makes Splenda BETTER than it is without erythritol. It is absolutely amazing! It is the most-like-sugar product I've ever sampled, and truly has no after taste. Experimenting with 4 willing volunteers on my day job, not one of them could determine that it was an AS.
So, take heart and be patient, but in the meantime, LET'S LET SPLENDA KNOW WE WILL DROP THEM THE MOMENT ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE IS AVAILABLE IF THEY DON'T START TREATING US BETTER!
Anyway, that's my feeling on the subject.

Splenda dejected and rejected in DC,
j

IslandGirl
Fri, Apr-05-02, 20:05
Julie,
erythritol, like maltitol, isomalt, lactitol, xylitol and sorbitol, to name a few, is a sugar alcohol, legally a carbohydrate and a BULK sweetener that has calories, not an artificial sweetener which is non-bulking, calorie-free and concentrated.

Take care in your enthusiasm to eat this product. There are previous posts in our forum on the erythritol, you might want to SEARCH and also to review our TIPS webpage (see the orange menu bar above).

juliemacg
Wed, Apr-10-02, 20:24
Cause I sent info inquiries and requests and the such for Liquid Splenda too, and was told no one in the US wanted it, that consumer desire made Splenda market only granular as the overall favorite in the US. I replied why that was not accurate and got no individual, constructive reply. I have saved the msgs if you want them. Splenda is ignoring and placating us. I presume there is some lobbying effort (by big commercial suppliers) that superceded our efforts, and that Splenda may be locked into some venture with them, and so cannot release Splenda Liquid to us without breaking that distributor agreement. E.g., Lucky Leaf products. Anyway, that's my best guess, and it makes me really, really mad!

Any suggestions out there as to what we might do? We are, after all, the very people the commercial manufacturers are selling these Splenda Liquid products to, so how can we force Splenda to make the Liquid available to us? Any cost issue is a big stinking lie, as we all recognize for reasons obvious. So, where from here?

Julie

Atrsy
Fri, Apr-19-02, 14:24
Let's hope it gets us some action on the retail Splenda.

Sandy34683
Fri, Apr-19-02, 17:53
Hi Atrsy,

I have decided to get used to no sugar period. Splenda has not been tested for long. Bottom line, stay slim and healthy by eliminating all foreign chemicals. You will get used to the taste. Try it for a while. Have a sugar free jello once a week instead.
We must learn to have stronger minds than to let a product dominate us.
We are learning the atkins life style, so we are strong. To me, atkins is forever. I feel confident, strong and energetic when I can stay on it.
:agree:

tofi
Sat, Apr-20-02, 09:16
The response I got was that "SPlenda is 600 times sweeter than sugar and you couldn't use that small an amount of liquid". Dumb, eh?
I just went to this website:
http://www.bestbodyproducts.com/supps/fatloss.htm

and found the message that "Best Body Products no longer sells sucralose." I guess McNeil got to them. Darn :mad: :( Or the FDA

Bonnie
Sun, Apr-21-02, 08:28
In all honesty I haven't read through all the posts of this thread and this info may have already been posted...having been following this WOL since 99; I check LC sites from time to time to see what is new and up and coming in the LC World...

Discontinued Products:

Splenda - Liquid and Tablet Form

REASON/STATUS:
Import Issues.

McNeil, patent/license holder in the U.S. for sucralose stopped the import of foreign (without fillers) variations of Splenda brand sweetener.

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/farewellproducts.html#gone

Another item that I would like to bring to the attention of folks who do use Splenda in the individual packets...while in Florida I shop at Sam's Club (division of Walmart)...they just recently introduced Splenda on their shelves in the 700 count box net wt. 700 g... I think I paid around $12.00 for the box... a post from another LC board suggests that Costco is also carrying this as well...

Bonnie

IslandGirl
Sun, Apr-21-02, 18:59
I just couldn't understand how J&J/McNeil could repeatedly say to its consumers, by email or phone, that there was little or no demand or market for carb-free Splenda (liquid or tablets) in the retail marketplace in North America while AT THE SAME TIME they were heavily leaning on those companies who went to the effort and found it SOMEWHERE (outside the US, in other words) because they could sell it like hotcakes (pardon the carb joke!).

I wouldn't mind them using their legal patent/licensing ownership NEARLY so much if they would just go to the effort of producing the wanted products themselves and stop telling such (as my Brit friends would say) such PORKIES!

Such "dogs in the manger". Really pi**es me off! :mad:

Jacquie
Tue, Apr-23-02, 11:18
Does any one know where to find liquid sucralose (Splenda)? I would prefer to use it over the packets because it contains no carbs.

Deb
Tue, Apr-23-02, 11:25
but i don't think it's available to the general public. Look in the low carb products forum. Island girl runs a low carb co-op and she had posted at one time that if she can get liquid sucralose, she would post it on that forum.

Deb

Jacquie
Tue, Apr-23-02, 11:27
Can you tell me more about Island Girl's Co-op. Where can I find it? I'm new here. Thanks.

Deb
Tue, Apr-23-02, 11:59
Go to the main forum page on this board and look for lo-carb products discussion.

then click into lo-carb co-op

click into any post by island girl and click onto the red/white flag that says Low Carb Food Experts. That's Island Girls co-op and you can read all about it there or even e-mail her for more info.

Hope that helps

deb

doreen T
Tue, Apr-23-02, 12:16
I've moved this discussion to the Low-carb Products forum for you, so folks in-the-know can find it. There's a "Sticky" thread right at the top of the list here, all about liquid Splenda, and the efforts in trying to make it available to consumers.

Doreen

IslandGirl
Tue, Apr-23-02, 18:37
Thanks, Doreen, again, for looking out for our folks. :wave:

Jacquie, you might want to page BACKWARD through this whole long discussion about the search for Liquid Sucralose (or any unfillered Splenda/Sucralose) in North America. It's quite interesting ... :devil: and welcome!

Roe
Tue, Apr-23-02, 23:46
I saw on another board a posting for pure sucralose. And I have seen post from others who have made their own liquid sucralose. I followed a link but the site noted they were not selling the sucralose anymore.
Does anyone have another reference, link or dealer (that sounds so undercover). I am interested in purchasing
TIA

Karen
Wed, Apr-24-02, 00:52
We have the thread going in the Low Carb Products Forum.

Poll: Liquid Splenda (absolutely no carbs) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22256)

Karen

Just Lisa
Wed, Apr-24-02, 05:21
I sent them an email (have also called) regarding both Liquid and tablet form, told them if there was no requests for it in the US, why would they bother exerting their influence on people who can sell it to us. I also told them if they didn't change their mind I was going back to tablet form of Equal. Of course, I didn't hear anything from them. Big surprise. While I think that Sucralose may be a bit better for us than Equal, I'm not going to give them my business if they won't bother to answer emails, phone calls, etc. from us, their customers.

IslandGirl
Wed, Apr-24-02, 21:45
Hi, Roe! There's no getting away from it, if there's unfillered sucralose/Splenda out there, this is the conversational "thread" it's likely to show up in, one way or the other.

Welcome back :devil:

Lisa in MD
Thu, Apr-25-02, 07:18
Here's the reply I received from them. I told them I had a small low carb bakery that I was interested in purchasing Liquid Splenda to use. Okay, so it's a VERY small bakery, ...in my house...
At least they are "aware" FWIW.

Dear Lisa,

Although we do not have any plans at this time to extend our product line to include a liquid version of SPLENDA(R) No Calorie Sweetener, we are always exploring potential line extensions. We are aware of the low-carb consumer base that is interested in
having a liquid version of SPLENDA(R) No Calorie Sweetener available in the United States and as we plan for the future we will take this into consideration.

Tracey Ely
SPLENDA Consumer Relationship Center

Voyajer
Wed, May-08-02, 15:32
Has anyone tried to purchase bulk liquid Splenda in the US? Normally only food manufacturers would do this, but why couldn't a group of low carbers go in on the deal? I think some of us here are desperate enough for it. The minimum appears to be 4 containers that are almost 1 gallon each. Any takers? Anyone tried this?

http://ingredient.splenda.com/buy/usa.asp

Available in a case of (4) 3.6 Liter containers or a
20 kg drum.

Catherine A. Neumann
Sales Development Associate
501 George Street
New Brunswick, NJ USA 08903
Phone: 732-524-6278
1-800-7-SPLENDA
Fax: 732-524-2866
cneuman2~mspus.jnj.com

IslandGirl
Thu, May-09-02, 00:26
A few thoughts on an interesting suggestion:

(1) I believe J&J/McNeil/Splenda having been "leaning" on any resellers who dare to distribute unfillered Splenda (which is why Best Body Supplements is the latest to be NOT selling the Splenda/sucralose any more, I'm sure).
(2) I think you have to be a commercial manufacturing organization before they'll sell it to "you".
(3) I think nobody's really got the upfront cash (not cheap, this much "stuff") to front and organize for such a 'syndicate' of lowcarbers. You willing to take on the planning, organization and payments?

Tough questions... keep on thinking, we may solve this yet...

Karla
Thu, May-09-02, 11:10
The group buy sounds like a good idea; anyone know someone with a food business? Although after using the powder I'd prefer that to the liquid form because then I can control the concentration.

Of course, since a teaspoon of the powder is equal to 3 cups of sugar, buying a kilo would be like buying 900 pounds of sugar! :dazed:

Karla

Voyajer
Thu, May-09-02, 21:36
Karla,

According to Splenda website, liquid Splenda is 25% Sucralose and the rest is water and preservative. This still allows control over concentration since you still must add water and has other benefits. For one, dry Splenda powder is light and fly-away easily dispersed like ashes. When you mix your dry Splenda with water, it has a definite shelf-life which is not posted on the website but that is why Splenda puts preservatives in their liquid mixture. Besides 14.4 liters of a 1:150 solution is less than 1 kg of powder at a 1:600 solution considering the weight of the powder. (These are the minimum orders.)

Copied from the website:

• Approximately 150 x sweeter than sugar

• Clear, colorless, highly soluble solution

• Available in a case of (4) 3.6 Liter containers or a
20 kg drum.

Percentages in Liquid Splenda

Water

Sucralose (SPLENDA® Brand)

Citric Acid, anhydrous

Sodium Citrate, hydrous

Potassium Sorbate (FCC)

Sodium Benzoate (FCC)

Sandy34683
Fri, May-10-02, 08:18
Hi Voyager:

Stay away from Splenda. I had a web page on the horrible effects on use. I literally got sick from it. It has not been studied thoroughly by the FDA. Check out the site on Splenda studies.
Anyway, once you stay away from sugar for a few days, you detox and don't crave it as much.
It was hard for me, but I had a noticeble change in my body by eliminating sugar.
Try it.
:D

Voyajer
Fri, May-10-02, 09:00
Dear Sandra,

Thank you for your concern and warning. Unfortunately, I have tried abstaining from sugar for as much as 1 month at a time, but the craving never went away. You must be one of the lucky ones. Many of us will never be able to completely cut the sugar out of our lives and Splenda gives us a fighting chance.

I believe it is too early to throw in the towel on sucralose. You do not mention the site that you referred to. I have read several sites and studies on Splenda toxicity, etc. however it appears to be less harmful than the current sweeteners on the market.

Splenda has the chemical composition of sugar (sucrose) with a few less Hydrogen and Oxygen atoms and additional Chlorine atoms. About the chlorine, we drink it everyday in tap water.

They are now saying that chocolate can cause lead poisoning, but in the hundreds of years of people eating hundreds of pounds of chocolate, I've never heard of anyone dying of lead-poisoning.

Bonnie
Fri, May-10-02, 09:08
Originally posted by Sandy34683
Hi Voyager:

Stay away from Splenda. I had a web page on the horrible effects on use. I literally got sick from it. It has not been studied thoroughly by the FDA. Check out the site on Splenda studies.
Anyway, once you stay away from sugar for a few days, you detox and don't crave it as much.
It was hard for me, but I had a noticeble change in my body by eliminating sugar.
Try it.
:D

Please remember we all individuals here and having said that we all react differently ... I have used Splenda for several years with no ill effects and it has been approved for use in Canada for many years now...actually in PP the Eades recommend that if you do indulge in sweetners that Sucralose is the best so far in moderation... as with Splenda, Soy and other products that seem to create controversy there are many sites pro and con where research and studies have been conducted.... please take a minute to read through the entire thread I have attached...I think it offers food for fodder....

http://bbs.eatprotein.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=202868

Bonnie

Sandy34683
Fri, May-10-02, 10:00
Hi Voyager:

Go for it. I prefer not to use it.
Kicking the sugar habit is extremely hard. I didn't say it was easy. Once in a while, I do give in to sugar free caramel from the mall. That high will last me a week.
I am starting to feel so good about my weight that I really focus on the result of anything I put in my months. This is due to years of struggling.
Keep up the good work. :D

Lolabug
Tue, May-14-02, 12:13
I know someone from Brazil. does anyone know what liquid splenda is called down there?

Sandy34683
Tue, May-14-02, 14:06
:cheer:
If you all enjoy and benefit from Splenda. Great.
I have finally reached a point (after struggling for years with equal, sweet n low, and everything else out there) where I don't crave sugar daily. When I do, like yesterday. 3 scoops of ice cream! That sugar high will last me for weeks.

I see results of my hard work, and that is why my will power is at an all time high. You will all get to this point. It has taken me years. I never thought I would stick to the Atkins life style this long. At first, it looked like another yo-yo diet.

Keep up the good work. Whatever makes you feel good and get through is what will always work for you.

Voyajer
Tue, May-14-02, 15:57
It would be difficult for Splenda to be hazardous to anyone's health since to be used as sugar you have to mix 1 tsp of sucralose (pure Splenda) with 3/4 of a gallon of water.

I'm sure if you are using tap water, you are far more likely to die from the radioactivity, chorides and sulfate in the water supply (not to frighten anyone), but to show the incredibly small amount of Splenda that is eaten.

The box of Spenda you buy in the store actually contains about 99.9% Maltodextrin and 0.1% Splenda. In other words in the 110 gram box there is less than 1/4 teaspoon of Splenda (sucralose).

---------

By the way, Splenda is called sucralose in every country.

Bonnie
Tue, May-14-02, 16:21
Hi Sandy,

I personally am pleased that you have found your niche in this multifacteted LC WOL and most importantly WOE and for that I will attach a Hip Hip Horrah gal for ya... :cheer: ... I guess the part of your post that I question is when you state " I see the results of my hard work and that is why my willpower is at an all time high. You will all get to this point." :q: I may be interpeting your statement incorrectly and I certainly hope I am but it appears as if you are stating that only when Splenda is eliminated from the diet will we have results and willpower comparable to yours...as I stated in a previous post, there are many folks following this WOE who could not get through this WOL successfully without the use of some products... one example that comes to mind; "How could we possibly make all those wonderful desserts that Karen has taken the time to post without the use of Splenda, Sugar Twin etc... are you suggesting we ignore those few small pleasures in life that we indulge in on occasion?...if I may inject a little levity here... I on ocassion like to have a little indulgence with the Captain' s... a little Captain Morgan's Spiced rum and the occasionally Captain Black Cigar... does this mean that I have reason to feel guilty in indulging in life little pleasures.... is my willpower any less than yours in my mind's view and following LC...I think not....the same goes for Splenda....Bonnie

IslandGirl
Tue, May-14-02, 16:34
Lolabug, if you read through this whole thread, you will get a lot of information about the Splenda product.

Just to reiterate and clarify:
- sucralose is the patented sweetener which will be on the Ingredient List.
- Splenda is the trademarked retail brand name.

I believe that ONLY the Splenda brand name (Johnson & Johnson, McNeil) has rights, at this point, to be making and selling tabletop sweetener, liquid or packet or granular, anywhere in the world. They will have trademarked or patented this right in each country. It is this right the company enforces when they lean on other retailers that want to sell the sweetener as a 'tabletop sweetener', filler or no filler.

They also have the license/rights to selling the ingredient to food product manufacturers, as an ingredient only, not as a 'tabletop sweetener'.

There ya go.

IslandGirl
Tue, May-14-02, 16:39
Sandy and Bonnie, this thread is about Splenda/sucralose the product, and about efforts and ideas to obtain it without fillers.

Please take any discussion of the alleged health effects of Splenda, personally or otherwise, to the Health and/or Technical forums... and posts about caramels and Captain Morgan should probably go to the Confession Booth :D forum!

If you prefer, I will gladly set you up a separate thread around this discussion, and then move it for you...

Thank you both.

Voyajer
Tue, May-14-02, 16:51
I have first hand evidence of a girlfriend of mine in Massachusetts that anyone working for any hospital laboratory, medical laboratory, research project, etc can get free samples of Splenda in its pure form.

In order to purchase it in the larger quantities, I am told by her that one must sign a legal and binding contract to use Splenda for only the specified research purpose and not to use it for resale in its pure form.

Perhaps those in the medical or research fields might benefit from this post.

Bonnie
Tue, May-14-02, 17:10
Confession Booth :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bless me father for I have sinned! ;)

Seriously Judi... I was just rebutting to a post made re: supposed hazards of Splenda...my apologies for any disruption... :( I think you know that I am as committed as you are to seeing Liquid Splenda become a reality here in Canada :agree:

Bonnie

Sandy34683
Tue, May-14-02, 21:00
Hi Voyajer:

Glad to see your close to your goal.

As for splenda. Go for it. :D

Lisa in MD
Tue, May-28-02, 10:05
I'm having a lady in Australia send me some Splenda tablets, does anyone know if the carb count on them is the same as the packets? I prefer hauling around tablets rather than packets. :p

Bonnie
Tue, May-28-02, 10:46
According to the LC Nexus Site the following info was provided:

Splenda® Tablets
Splenda® tastes like sugar, because it is made from real sugar! Try the new tablet form in the pocket-sized dispenser - convenient when traveling, or at a restaurant! This form of Splenda® contains no maltodextrin, so it adds NO carbohydrates! The powdered form of Splenda® contains maltodextrin, as does the small packets. Maltodextrin is used as a bulking agent in the powdered varieties of Splenda®. However, with no maltodextrin in the tablets... the tablet form is carb free! Enjoy your beverage when you are out on the town... carb free, and calorie free!

One tablet is equal to one level teaspoon of sugar.

Bonnie

Bonnie
Tue, May-28-02, 11:16
Serving Size: 1 tablet
Servings: 200
Calories per serving: 0.3

Ingredients: Lactose, Sucralose, Croscarmellose sodium, L-leucine

Karla
Thu, Jun-13-02, 13:16
Bonnie,

What and where is the LC Nexus site?

And why is it that they seem to sell the liquid and tablet forms of Splenda in Australia and New Zealand and not here? That just makes me cranky!

Karla

Bonnie
Thu, Jun-13-02, 13:28
Here is the site Karla:
http://www.lowcarbnexus.com/Item_STC1.htm

You may contact us at:
Low Carb Nexus™
2209 N. Centennial Street
High Point, NC 27265

(336) 812-8845

Toll Free 1 (866) LCNEXUS (526-3987)

and as far as the other questions posed:

Take the floor Miss Judi on this one..... ;)

Bonnie

IslandGirl
Thu, Jun-13-02, 18:10
Karla, dearest, the reasons the Splenda corporation uses to decide which country they'll sell what form of the Splenda ... well, they've been questioned in this very thread many many times, and the bottom line is only they know for sure... but they keep saying there isn't a demand, in North America.

Bull-cookies.

Please do join the queue, and call either the 800 number or go to the appropriate webpage (both listed here in this thread in many places) for either Splenda USA or Splenda Canada and tell them JUST how cranky you are about all this!

Thanks!

Karla
Mon, Jun-17-02, 08:40
IslandGirl,

You're right, and I have called them a couple of times to ask about liquid Splenda and got the same story. But I'll never believe that there is a big enough market for the liquid and the tablets in New Zealand, but not in the U.S. and Canada. Sheesh!

I will confess that I bought sucralose from another source before they had to stop selling it, so I am just going to use that and not buy Splenda until that runs out or they relent and sell the liquid and tablets here. (Somehow shen I bouhgt it, it didn't dawn on me that these other people weren't supposed to sell it, but I have it and I'm going to use it!)

Karla

IslandGirl
Mon, Jun-17-02, 20:57
Indeed, Karla, there's quite a few of us :devil: who nabbed quickly onto a source of un-fillered pure sucralose while we had the chance... we knew what would happen, having seen it with a few vendors over the last year or more... :tears:

However, if we let those Splenda people know, without fail, that not only would we like to see unfillered sucralose on the market everywhere as a consumer CHOICE, we WON'T :nono: be buying the fillered kind until we do... it's only a LITTLE fib ! :blush:

Lisa in MD
Wed, Jun-19-02, 06:37
I sent a general whine email to the LCNexus people, and here's the response I got: (I asked about tablets)

"I wish we could get them! The FDA has stopped their import into the country. I tend to think it is our (U.S.) lobbyists that are preventing its importation into our country. All our sources have dried up!"

Now if that doesn't tick you off... :thdown:

IslandGirl
Wed, Jun-19-02, 12:00
Splenda corporation (owners of licensing) leans on the FDA (makers of rules) who in turn leans on the importers...

evil, I tell ya, evil :devil:

Jamori
Sun, Jun-23-02, 02:39
The use of liquid splenda was mentioned several times by whomever runs the lowcarbluxury site in various product reviews .. is it available now? where can i get it?

Bonnie
Sun, Jun-23-02, 03:40
Jamori, if you take a peak under the products review section at Low Carb luxury you will find a listing of unavailable products:

Splenda - Liquid and Tablet Form
REASON/STATUS:
Import Issues.

McNeil, patent/license holder in the U.S. for sucralose stopped the import of foreign (without fillers) variations of Splenda brand sweetener.

Also take a few minutes to read through this thread...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=22256

Bonnie

In_Control
Fri, Jun-28-02, 21:23
I was cruising www.synergydiet.com (http://www.synergydiet.com/low-carb-cooking-ingredients.html) and I saw this. Doesn't it look like liquid splenda???

However, you click on it and it takes you to the packets of splenda. Interesting.

Roe
Tue, Jul-02-02, 00:03
Island Girl,
I have a question. Can you purchase liquid Splendra in Canada anymore. My parents are going to Michigan and if you can I plan to send them across the border to purchase.
Can you recommend a few stores they would be able to find it in.
TIA

IslandGirl
Tue, Jul-02-02, 13:32
Can you purchase liquid Splendra in Canada anymore.

Nope. Never could, actually. It was only sold for a brief time by a number of US-based online retailers that got it from distributors that imported it from South America.

You're thinking of the granular Splenda, no doubt, that was available and legal in Canada for 10 years before it was 'legalized' in the States. Or maybe you're thinking of the famous Canadian version of the liquid Sugar Twin, that is cyclamates-based instead of saccharin-based? Or maybe our Brown Sugar Twin (also cyclamates)? If so, any large grocery store or pharmacy usually carries the sweeteners.

fiona
Sat, Jul-06-02, 01:38
Roe: Can you purchase liquid Splendra in Canada anymore.

Nope. Never could, actually

When I was in Vancouver a couple of months ago, I saw Stevia in a lot of shops and most of the supermarkets I popped into.

I bought a large bottle of Herbal Select Stevia Liquid Extract. On the bottle it says liquid leaf extract in a base of vegetable glycerine and water..... contains no sugar, wheat yeast, dairy products, barley, corn, eggs, soy, starch ....

Before I went to Canada, I did research into Stevia and Splenda and decided to go for Stevia - forget the details of my reasoning to be honest. It tastes very sweet. I have not used much of it so far. I am a little wary of it because of its ban (or at least anti-feeling) in the UK Health Food Stores. Seems safe enough but I am not a Product person.

Take care,

Roe
Sat, Jul-06-02, 07:17
Thank you but Stevia has a bad after taste to me I would rather have dirt . Give me the un-natural man made stuff. :p

Fooz_u
Thu, Aug-08-02, 13:33
I called splenda, mentioned my desire to have liquid form, and the operator made like that was silly. She said she would put it on a 'wish list'.

skyspinner
Tue, Sep-03-02, 15:57
Originally posted by Ka3n
Here's the US number: 1-800-777-5363

Open 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Eastern time. :)

skyspinner
Tue, Sep-03-02, 16:00
Originally posted by Roe
Thank you but Stevia has a bad after taste to me I would rather have dirt . Give me the un-natural man made stuff. :p

Me, too! Stevia sucks. :thdown:

skyspinner
Mon, Sep-09-02, 12:17
OK. I made my call! Got a fairly good reception. Lady seemed interested and very supportive, and promised to relay my request to the suits.

But.....somehow I think there's not a huge interest in this thread.

Where's the committment?

Where's the conviction that the mighty and righteous wrath of The Consumer can be brought to bear on this issue?

Where's all the other LCers on this board rising up to demand a zero-carb sweetener?

Hmmm??? Can't you envision a life of no carbs in sweets? Doesn't that make your taste buds tingle? Your mouth simply salivate? Call to you to come out of your cravings into the sunlight of ZERO CARBS? Doesn't it?

C'mon, folks, make that call. You know that enough public interest will make them bring this product to market! You don't have to put a bumper sticker on your car, attend any public input meetings, write a letter, or boycott anything...ya just gotta make that FREE call.

Splenda Canada 'hotline' at 1-800-561-0070

Splenda US 'hotline' at 1-800-777-5363

Go get 'em, Tigers!!!

:thup: :thup: :thup: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :help: :help: :help: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :thup: :thup: :thup:

IslandGirl
Mon, Sep-09-02, 18:34
SkySpinner, your PMail box is full so I couldn't reply to your message.... so here's my reply! :lol:

... you think it could help gather even more support and discussion to make it sticky, or post other msgs pointing to your poll? I'll do anything to help, just let me know how.

Well, actually, SkySpinner, this thread has been Sticky since day 1 (and you might have noticed the date on the first post so that's quite a while).

You might consider actually making a written request thru the Customer Service where-ever and whenever you buy sweeteners, especially Splenda in any form; it's that kind of market pressure that will work, the actual bulk & commercial buyers making much noise, in the longer run. Email Splenda and ask for updates at regular intervals; email your friends; etc.

Meanwhile, consider letting Splenda know that SOME of us have found a reasonably practical alternative, a combination of sweeteners available in liquid or tablet form makes a nice blend that's ALMOST as good as the Splenda and has the zero carbs we demand... an example would be a mix of liquid saccharin and some dissolved Stevia. It goes a lot further when there's a synergistic blend so you can use less for the same sweetness and less aftertaste.... or mix up Ace-K (Sunette) and liquid saccharin (Superose), thin with filtered water, for half the carbs and double the sweetness. Maybe competition will get their attention?

skyspinner
Tue, Sep-10-02, 07:46
Huh...that's odd about my PM box being full...I went to look, and had only 3 in my Inbox. Surely the limit is >3! Anyway, I deleted those, so should work better now.

Thanks for the suggestions on how I can personally affect the manufacturer and the retail outlets. I can do that each time I shop...those little request cards are right out there at the checkout.

How about some good ideas on how to affect this group to moblize and put some heavy pressure on? I did see that this thread has been going on for quite a while, and I am disappointed that more activity hasn't seemed to occur.

Any ideas? :)

And I shall try the mixtures you suggested...I detest sacharin (see, I can't even SPELL it!), but maybe I'll dink around w/ some of the others. I found a sample size of liquid stevia for around three bucks, so I have that...maybe I can find small "travel size" bottles of some of the other sweeteners, and I'll give it a shot. Lord knows, I need to find something, 'cause I don't seem prepared to give up sweets in this lifetime. :lol: And powdered Splenda is just too costly in carbs.

Thanks!

IslandGirl
Tue, Sep-10-02, 15:44
Just a quick tip, SkySpinner. Your PM box is full probably because you haven't cleaned out your SENT folder lately (everything you ever sent, copy of)... Check the other folders in there. I do believe there's several sticky threads about dealing with full PMailboxes in the Comments Box & Technical Forum right off the main Forum webpage.

As for motivational aspects here? Consider thinking on products that you KNOW don't have Splenda (check Splenda's website for a list of those that do) but you sure would like to have with Splenda in and are willing to buy, then

(a) post a NEW thread here in the Products Forum for discussion on those products, or to collect ideas or run a poll of your own on a product by product basis?
Probably a SUBJECT line like Diet Coke with Splenda, want to help get it? would generate some interest...

(b) contact the manufacturer of said products (and your stores' customer service, too) and/or hunt down the specific contact information (website, email, phone numbers - especially tollfree) and post it in the new product discussion thread with a SUBJECT LINE of manufacturer-name & product-name- contact info, for example...

I suggest these things because I think that ANY market pressure on Splenda (even in products instead of just the "tabletop liquid" formulation) and especially if it's known to come from a specific group, like us LOW CARBERS here at THIS website gives us market power and might make them pay more attention.

Hope this helps!

barefoot1
Sun, Sep-29-02, 06:48
Keto advertises the Keto Sweet product as Splenda without fillers.

Although it is Splenda in a granular form, wouldn't it accomplish the same purpose as liquid Splenda? ( i.e. - zero carbs ?)

Terry

Dwayne
Sun, Sep-29-02, 23:54
one 75ml bottle of liquid sucralose is equivelent to 4 pounds of sugar. I believe this is why you can't get it in the USA in liquid form. J&J would not be able to make as much money. Selling the packet version will make them much more money due to the fillers that are added.

I am still using my first bottle of liquid sucralose, I have had it for over a year.
The packet of liquid sucralose says 3 drops = 1 tsp. But I think it is much sweeter than that. It also mixes well with cream chease and Cocoa where I find the packet stuff turns bitter.

If you can read Portugese here is the web site: http://www.slimdiet.com.br/ado_pp.htm

I can't read portugese so when my last bottle is gon

Dwayne
Mon, Sep-30-02, 00:03
Sorry I got cut off.

I was going to say "When it's gone its gone"
any way if you go to the web site you have to klick on the Avancar button on the right to see the liquid sucrlose.

IslandGirl
Sun, Oct-06-02, 19:18
Originally posted by barefoot1
Keto advertises the Keto Sweet product as Splenda without fillers.

Although it is Splenda in a granular form, wouldn't it accomplish the same purpose as liquid Splenda? ( i.e. - zero carbs ?)

Terry

Terry, although Keto might advertise the Keto Sweet as being LIKE Splenda, it ISN'T Splenda (a brand name) and it contains no sucralose (patented by the Splenda people). If you have a look at the product ingredients of Keto Sweet on the Keto website at www.ketofoods.com, you will clearly see that the ingredients are a mix of glycine (an amino acid that is mildly sweet in flavour but has zero carbs) and acesulfame-K.

It does rather accomplish the zero-carbs desire, but the flavour is a bit different and it doesn't (and won't) work precisely the same as liquid Splenda... the reason folks want liquid Splenda (or even those tiny little tablets) is to get the flavour of the sucralose without the fillers of the maltodextrin.

tml326
Wed, Oct-09-02, 13:22
Well I know this conversation started a long time ago but I work in Guelph and called McNeil Consumer Healthcare here and the consumer relation person I spoke to just said it wasn't available but she would pass my request to the marketing department and that they have had quite a few requests for the product recently.

Tracy <----------trying to particiapte more and not "lurk" so I'm not deleted/politely removed from here :) ..lol

leanybean
Wed, Oct-16-02, 06:20
Hi Y'all:

As a manufacturer, I can tell you a little bit about McNeil. First of all, they are extremely cautious with their product. We buy the very concentrated form of Splenda in both the powder and liquid form. This stuff is soooooooo concentrated. We wear masks when we work with the powder, because it gets everywhere. You can taste the sweet for the entire day. Same goes for the liquid.

They do not allow just anyone to use the name "Splenda". You must get their approval and they must scrutinize your labeling first. Also, you cannot resell any of their products as a sweetener. You cannot mix with other sweeteners and sell either.

We had to fill out tons of paperwork just to do business with them. Also, they are the only game in town. You can't get sucralose anywhere else! So, as a manufacturer, it's best to play by their rules. They can and will cut you off if you don't. This is most likely what happened to "Better Bodies" and some of the other distributors.

Anyway, hope this answers some of your questions.

Warm Wishes,
Colleen

barefoot1
Thu, Oct-17-02, 09:02
Island Girl -

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention.

In order to cut down on the carbs from the filler in the granular Splenda, in the absence of liquid Splenda, I've been using more Da Vinci syrup in my recipes.

In other words, it appears that Da Vinci is almost a form of liquid Splenda with flavoring added.

So what I've done is adjusted the amount of the other liquid ingredients in a particular recipe and added the syrup in place of some of the granular Splenda.

This is a work around that seems to turn out ok in many recipes.

Thanks again, Terry

BFranke
Fri, Oct-18-02, 14:53
I emailed regarding liquid Splenda and received the following reply. I sure wish they had this
in their plans, like NOW, but at least they are aware of those of us who need this item.
Bette

Subject: Re: Splenda No Calorie Sweetener / reference 2801372A
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 02 16:30:02

Dear Elizabeth (bfranke),

Thank you for visiting the SPLENDA (TM) No Calorie Sweetener website. We hope you became more familiar with Splenda during your visit to the site.

Although we do not have any plans at this time to extend our product line to include a liquid version of SPLENDA (TM) No Calorie Sweetener, we are always exploring potential line extensions. We are aware of the low-carb consumer base that is interested in having a liquid version of SPLENDA (TM) No Calorie Sweetener available in the United States and as we plan for the future we will take this into consideration.

We hope this information is helpful, however, if you would like to learn more, you are welcome to contact us again through e-mail or call a Splenda representative at 1-800-777-5363.

Tracey Ely
SPLENDA Consumer Relationship Cente

carlakapla
Wed, Nov-13-02, 14:17
Would these products be helpful to anyone? I'm kind of a newbie to artificial sweeteners and didn't come on the scene until after Sucralose had come and gone (direct to the general public) and so am not familiar on how these compare. But it is liquid Splenda, sort of. I have the fiber fit, which doesn have 1 carb, but that's fiber and I seem to do fine deducting that. I think the syrups are carb free, but I've never tried them. (If anyone here knows, I'd like to know the difference between the acidic and neutral base!)I like the fiberfit -- 1 teaspoon supposedly has the sweetness of 4 teaspoons of sugar, and that's the ratio I'm going by when using it in foods and recipes and it seems to be doing the job.
Just thought this might be suitable for someone who hadn't yet heard of it.

http://www.bestbodyproducts.com/fiberfit/

http://www.naturesflavors.com/default.php/cPath/14_39/from/fp

IslandGirl
Wed, Nov-13-02, 16:28
CarlaKapla, the FiberFit is a brand-new product just out on the market, by the same BestBodySupplements company we discussed earlier in this conversational thread.

I believe yours is the first post about them in this Products Forum, and your input is appreciated.

You will find many posts about the Nature's Flavors brand of sugarfree syrups in the Products Forum (you will enjoy using the SEARCH function on the upper right hand of your screen and finding ALL KINDS of useful info for a 'newbie' :D I'm sure). They have the 'bases' which is shorthand in foodservice terminology for flavourless sweet sauce or syrup.

The neutral base will therefore be just sweet and the acid base is highly like to have some citric acid added, and would be a good starting point for, say, adding citrus flavours.

Hope this helps some?

noladq
Sun, Dec-29-02, 09:09
Never mind! I just saw where others have seen naturesflavors.com

erinb
Mon, Dec-30-02, 17:15
I thought i would post this in this thread. I own my own soap and toiletries business. I make lip balm, which is next to impossible to sweeten. So i started thinking about the pure suralose. i found a contact number for Mcneil Pharmaceuticals. Turns out they will sell me either the liquid or powder form. They sent me out samples of both today. Now the problem, i do not need either a kilo of powder or 18 liters of liquid, but that is the minimum order. First of all, i don't want to get in trouble for doing this, but i know a lot of you are looking for pure sucralose. i feel like a drug dealer or something. i am wanting to know if there is enough interest from you guys wanting to buy some of my extra,
for me to order. I am leaning towards the powder, which is 600 times sweeter than sugar. The salesperson told me that one ounce is equivalent to 96 cups of sugar. If i could get some feedback about this, i would really appreciate it!
Thanks!
Erin

BFranke
Mon, Dec-30-02, 18:19
Erin......YES,YES,YES,
I would certainly be interested in purchasing some sucralose. The question is where are you located? Cost of product and then shipping costs?
I am sure the powder would be most economical to ship, just as the powdered stevia is more economical to use. Then we could dilute it with our own distilled water, and have a carb free product.
So, if you will email more particulars, I bet I can find a few more interested in purchasing this!
*****.******~*****.***
Thanks,
Bette
erinb
Turns out they will sell me either the liquid or powder form, and sent me out samples of both today. Now the problem, i do not need either a kilo of powder or 18 liters of liquid, but that is the minimum order. First of all, I don't want to get in trouble for doing this, but i know a lot of
you are looking for pure sucralose. i feel like a drug dealer or something. i am wanting to know if there is enough interest from you guys wanting to buy some of my extra, for me to order. I am leaning towards the powder, which is 600 times sweeter than sugar. The salesperson told me that
one ounce is equivalent to 96 cups of sugar. If i could get some feedback about this, i would really appreciate it!
Thanks!
Erin

lorettagay
Tue, Dec-31-02, 20:47
I just joined this forum today. I ran across it while doing a google search for liquid splenda. I sent my email via the splenda.com site.

IslandGirl
Tue, Dec-31-02, 23:00
ErinB, not to rain on your parade, but you might want to have a good read through this thread about the Liquid Splenda.

You will read that McNeil/J&J frown HEAVILY on anyone marketing unmodified/unlicensed sucralose other than themselves. They have CLOSED a couple of businesses and cut off their supplies in the process.

Please just be warned, what you want to do is not legal/licensed.

sig: Products Forum Moderator

erinb
Wed, Jan-01-03, 01:30
Yeah, i started thinking about it. I can't do it, it wouldn't be right. I really wanted it for my lip balm too, but i don't see myself using a kilo. I do apologize for any problems, i just didn't think it through before i posted.
Thanks,
Erin

IslandGirl
Wed, Jan-01-03, 19:58
It's no problem here, Erin, I just wanted you to be warned. No point in getting in the 'bad books' with McNeil.

I'm in business, too, and if it were me (I can't use a kilo, the stuff is super concentrated), I'd consider trying to find out from McNeil if they have any other small businesses making enquiries, perhaps you and some other small businesses could share an order.

Another possibility is to contact one or two of these small businesses yourself, like maybe BetterBody/FiberFit (there's a website for them listed right here in this thread and I'm sure there's a contact email or some such) and ask if they can see a way to share an order for commercial purposes only... might have to clear it with McNeil but if you ask together, it COULD work, just maybe.

Good luck to you.

sig: Products Forum Moderator

Taotejen
Fri, Jan-03-03, 15:12
The number listed has a no longer in service recording. It's funny I came across this today... I called the US number earlier today to register my request - which the operator promised to pass on. She also indicated that the requests are few and far between. The US number is: 1-800-7-SPLENDA. Please call them!!!

BFranke
Wed, Jan-15-03, 15:51
Called the 800 number, talked to someone who will put my request on the list, and she said that they are getting a lot of requests. Yea, LowCarbers, we are getting them thinking anyway.
Then I called back and asked them about the tablets. I got a pkg some time ago, and now wish I had bought a boatload. They work very well and no Dextrose or Maltodextrin. Anyway, she said it was not planned, but I insisted she put it on the wish list.
Keep calling, the more calls they get.......well, it has to help.
Bette

nicksmom
Tue, Feb-04-03, 07:35
As a newbie, I have been wondering what you all thought of fiberfit as a sweetner? I saw it is a liquid, but don't see too many comments on it. Am I looking in the wrong area?

Karen Fait
Fri, Feb-07-03, 19:05
Hi Everyone,

I just came upon this thread for the first time today. I just wanted to tell you that I called the Splenda company about two months ago. I told them that I was LC'ing and asked them where I could buy liquid Splenda. They said they had gotten a lot of calls from people who were on LC diets, but they still had no plans for distributing it in the near future :( So, everyone, we just need to keep "hollering" until our voices are heard, right? :lol:

I'll bet there's others like me, who haven't looked around much at the other forums (I usually just read the CAD/CALP one), who would be interested in calling and asking for liquid Splenda.

It would be great if some of the big companies like Coca-Cola would start manufacturing drinks using Splenda. The only ones we can get around here are Diet Rite and Diet RC, which is not much of a choice!

:wave: Karen Faith

Rmary
Mon, Feb-10-03, 10:25
Hello,

I'm a new member here. I have been a member at low carb luxury, which has a new forum and the subject of liquid splenda came up. I was doing a little looking around and that's how I came across this thread and joined.

I've also posted the link at the other forum to email the request to bring back liquid splenda.

This how liquid splenda problem is really starting to make me mad. It's really absurd. From reading through some of this thread, I am really getting the impression that we are being treated like some kind of lunatic fringe and a simple irritation.

Sorry to be so grumpy, but I'm really feeling irritated about this. There IS a market for liquid splenda. It seems absurd that we have to beg them to give it to us.

Rmary

catspaw
Thu, Feb-13-03, 16:41
Does anybody know when the patent protection for sucralose ends? Their web site says that sucralose was discovered in London in 1976. Once the patent protection ends there may be companies offering generic sucralose, and perhaps we might have better luck.

IslandGirl
Tue, Feb-18-03, 13:53
Hmmmmmm.

Tate & Lyle UK (who 'discovered' it in 1978 or thereabouts) actually holds the patent for sucralose and it's licensed to and produced by McNeil / Johnson & Johnson US (these corporate tangles are a wonder to me). There are further licensing and production arrangements in 30 countries around the world but those are within the parameters set by the FDA or their equivalent in each country...

I've not been able to find out easily when the patent actually does expire except for a hint that it's a minimum of 5K days or about 5 years (I think) from approval which is May (?) 1998 in the US.

Did find out that the patent on aspartame, for instance, expired in 1992 so if we can figure out when it was actually patented, might get a hint as to patent periods in general...

Any lowcarbing patent lawyers out here?? :devil: :D :devil:

JustAGirl
Mon, Feb-24-03, 20:47
so, are you saying liquid sucrolose might possibly be back on the market from another brand as early as this summer?

Parrothead
Wed, Feb-26-03, 19:55
I have a very good friend who travels back and forth to Rio quite often. He is there now and is buying an entire case of liquid splenda for me as a "gift". Isn't that sweet? ;) I thought I would let everyone know if they'd like a "gift" of it sent from Texas, just email me at newlyweds ~ at ~ tropicaltexans-dot-com and I will get right back to you. He is currently trying to find someone there that will be happy to continue sending me gifts of liquid splenda on a regular basis so I can share them with my friends and family. :)

MODERATOR NOTE: we strongly DISCOURAGE the posting of email addresses, to avoid SPAMbots picking them up and other such security breaches. I have edited the email address this time so it can be read by a human but not by a SPAMbot, but will delete it entirely if it is reposted. This is for the security and comfort of all members of this Forum. Please use the Private Messaging feature (available to you once you have reached 25 posts) to communicate privately OR just communicate right here in these forums...which IS what they are for.
SIG: Products Forum Moderator

Red
Thu, Feb-27-03, 09:44
I just tried to send you an e-mail, and it was rejected. The message says that it is not a valid e-mail address. Any Ideas???
I am very interested in your offer!! :eek: And quite suprised that you are willing to share your liquid Gold!!
Carolyn

catspaw
Wed, Mar-19-03, 00:56
Is anybody else getting notices that there is a response to this thread only to discover the 28 Feb post from Red as the latest? Maybe it's just me?

IslandGirl
Wed, Mar-19-03, 02:01
It's a little technical glitch that occurs occasionally, I think on Sticky posts/threads mostly. This Liquid Splenda one has been doing it for a while, says Red is the last poster and the date changes.

Matter of fact I came in here because not Red but YOU :D are the last poster today :lol:

As the forum moderator here in Products, I recommend you report this (if it concerns you) in the Technical Questions forum, CatsPaw, though as I say, it happens now and then.

By the way, how do you manage to be getting email notifications? I thought they had been turned off (see that Technical Questions forum again)...

Hmmmm.

doreen T
Wed, Mar-19-03, 09:35
Originally posted by catspaw
Is anybody else getting notices that there is a response to this thread only to discover the 28 Feb post from Red as the latest? Maybe it's just me? Not sure how you're getting notices about the posts, unless you mean when you check the Subscribed Threads list in your User Control Panel, it shows that there's a new post in the thread??

OK, this happens whenever there's a POLL, and someone votes. The date and time of the VOTE will be recorded, and will bump the thread up to the top of the list, even if they don't post a reply to the thread. It's confusing, yeh I know ... but otherwise, if it didn't bump up, nobody else would see the poll.

In the case of Sticky threads, they will always be "stuck' at the top of the first page of threads in any given forum, BUT they too will "rearrange" themselves according to which one has the most recent post (or vote in a poll ;))

Hope that makes it clear as mud now :D :lol:

Doreen

catspaw
Wed, Mar-19-03, 16:55
Thanks Doreen & Island Girl!

That actually does make it clearer. It was being listed when I check the user control panel for subscribed messages with Red responding on different dates.

The main reason I asked here instead of the technical forum was just to see if my post would post, so to speak... :p

Thanks again,

stilt0
Tue, Apr-01-03, 00:41
Hello all,
You're an interesting bunch! The liquid sucralose concentrate saga is fascinating. See my post in the trading post section titled 'pure sucralose' . It's a travesty all right. As I mentioned there , McNeil don't think the market is big enough yet in the States for a seriously zero carb form of Splenda(tm) . Who can guess at their real reason. I can almost understand their reluctance in making the powder concentrate available to the general public. For one, even a tiny amount is very expensive. Because it's so concentrated , it's very difficult to measure accurately . It reminds me of the hilarious Woody Allen cocaine sneezing episode. But we're adults and reasonably intelligent after all. It's hardly rocket science. And the liquid concentrate is simply a no brainer!. Besides the apalling waste of money ,even if you did sneeze your stash of powder concentrate into oblivion, the Material Safety data sheet is quite specific about the low respiratory irritation risk from inhalation. It would hardly be very pleasant , but it's not going to do you any harm.

So if you want either the powder or the liquid concentrate email me privately. The supply details are in the trading post post. I've no idea how you get my email address. Ask the moderator. Apparently I'm not supposed to post it. Fair enough.

This is a typical example of corporate arrogance with a small market. I daresay in five years there will be supermarket shelves full of no ( I mean zero) carb sweeteners. We evolved to have a sweet tooth. I want to be able to enjoy sweet foods without the tedious metabolic risks of carbohydrate. Interestingly enough I don't personally have an excess weight problem. In fact I've actually became interested in low carbing because I've alway's had trouble keeping weight on. As my stats attest , since starting low carbing (and I have to point out that I've spent most of my waking life insatiably hungry, eaten like a pig every couple of hours, and stayed skinny anyway. You excess weight battlers probably read this with envy, but believe me , it was no fun !) Since ditching the carbs I've put on a few kilo's , look years younger and much healthier and am moderately hungry three times a day. For the first two days I have to admit I did feel a bit mentally fogged up. But even with that temporary discomfort I'd still recommend doing the transition cold turkey . Not that I've ever had to give up smoking , but I think paradigm change is by far the best policy. By far the most fascinating difference has been that I now feel satisfied with about a quarter of the calorie intake eating Atkins and yet I'm putting on weight . I've still got a few kilos to gain. And I'm in no doubt that when I reach about 150 pounds I'll stop putting on weight automatically. Like everything else in the universe , as in life, there is a natural equilibrium that we disturb at our peril - usually through ignorance. Thank heavens for maverick pioneers like Atkins. The amazing thing really is that he was hardly the first . The guy (I forget his name) who wrote ' The Saccharin Diseases' late in the 19th century sussed it so clearly all those years ago . Yet look how much human misery has had to be endured since then , not to mention untold billions of dollars wasted in medical costs , until the dinosaur of medical research starts to get it's act together. I remember going to see Nathan Pritikin when he was roaming the globe about twenty years ago selling his ultra low fat gospel. He was one very sick looking dude. Admittedly he had leukemia, but he probably could have lasted years longer , and saved himself the tragedy of suicide , if he'd just looked at a little paleontological evidence.

Anyway I seriously digress . My point is that low carbing is not just for overweight people. I probably escaped the inconvenience not to mention the drastically shortened lifespan of type two diabetes by gnat's whisker. I never thought I'd be able to give up fruit . I really was a big fruit eater. The truth is I don't miss it at all .

And one of the reasons I don't miss it is down to pure sucralose. Its a gift. I'm curious about the idea that just eating anything sweet(i.e. artificial calorie free sweeteners) triggers insulin surges, even if blood sugar stays low. None of the studies I've looked at that claim to document this effect are longer than one meal. It's only a hunch , but my guess is that your insulin mechanism very quickly adjusts to sweet tastes not meaning actual glucose challenges and doesn't bother to rouse the troops. Any one seen any well designed research in this area?

Cheers,

Stuart

jiskiyan
Wed, Apr-02-03, 15:53
Hi everyone.

I thought I would share this email I got from Splenda asking when/if they'd be making the liquid (absolutely no carbs!) variety available to the general public (right now it is used by food manufacturers only and can't be bought anywhere that I'm aware of). Here is their reply. Thought I'd share this "update"-- if you can call it that! LOL. I love how they reference us low-carbers... they must be getting a lot of noise from us!

Jill in sunny Phoenix, AZ :wave:
-----------------------------------------

Dear Jill,

Thank you for visiting the SPLENDA (TM) No Calorie Sweetener website.
We hope you became more familiar with SPLENDA during your visit to the site.

Although we do not have any plans at this time to extend our product line to
include a liquid version of SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener, we are
always exploring potential line extensions. We are aware of the low-carb
consumer base that is interested in having a liquid version of SPLENDA
No Calorie Sweetener available in the United States and as we plan for the
future we will take this into consideration.

We hope this information is helpful, however, if you would like
to learn more, you are welcome to contact us again through e-mail or call
a SPLENDA representative at 1-800-777-5363.

Tracey Ely
SPLENDA Consumer Relationship Center

di52
Mon, Apr-07-03, 07:26
Hi - I just called the US # (800.777.5363). The woman told me that liquid splenda was only available for industrial use. I asked what about in other countries and she couldn't tell me anything about that. So I mentioned that I have been switching to liquid stevia when a liquid would do the job, but so far I was still using powder when that was necessry (baking) She perked up when I mentioned I was switching and took my name, etc. Maybe she'll pass that info on to someone whose job it is to care.
Diane

bound2him
Mon, Apr-07-03, 20:49
Is the liquid better than the granules??

Just learning
Lori

Michele-67
Sun, Apr-13-03, 14:33
Hello everyone,
I have been lurking on this and other low carb sites for a while. I just saw a post on Low Carb Friends about a "Sugar free concentrated drink/syrup base" made with liquid SPLENDA. Apparently TrishZ has received approval from Splenda to market and distribute this product. The proportions will be 1 1/2 tsp = 1 cup of sugar and it has zero carbs. Has anyone elso heard about this? I don't think she is up and running yet but I thought it sounded promising! :wave:

IslandGirl
Tue, Apr-15-03, 01:54
More detail would be great. A webpage address? A member (of this forum) name?

This is new, I haven't heard of it yet. Be very interested in details.

Michele-67
Tue, Apr-15-03, 19:04
Here is the link to the thread.

http://www.low-carb-friends.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=80323

I emailed her last weekend to get the link to her website but I haven't heard back yet.

If you want more details let me know. I don't know this person. I just read the thread and wanted to know what you thought about it.

Thanks,
Michele

IslandGirl
Fri, Apr-18-03, 13:50
Originally posted by Michele-67
Here is the link to the thread.

http://www.low-carb-friends.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=80323

I emailed her last weekend to get the link to her website but I haven't heard back yet.

If you want more details let me know. I don't know this person. I just read the thread and wanted to know what you thought about it.

Thanks,
Michele

Thanks, Michele, for taking the time to answer this. I'll go follow the thread on AtkinsFriends, but if you do get more information before I do (always possible! :D), it would be great to post it here. When you hit 20 posts here, you can also PM me if you wish.

Thanks again.

jeanyyy
Sat, Apr-19-03, 16:27
Heard on another list that this site sells sugar-free syrup base, too. Price is reasonable and it seems they ship to Canada via USPS if desired:

http://www.naturesflavors.com/default.php?cPath=64_71&pitem_id=14

IslandGirl
Sat, Apr-19-03, 21:50
Thanks for reiterating this one, Jeanyy. It's probably buried so far back in this thread and/or in the Products Forum itself, it's hard to find.

There's some discussion about the acid-base and the neutral-base versions from Nature's Flavors, too.

Jaxx
Mon, Apr-28-03, 21:57
Just learning - LCing and to cook :D - What is the difference bewteen the liquid and the powder????

The liquid is always recommeded in the receipes.....

and the powder suggests 1 = 1 to sugar.

Is there a difference??

If the receipe suggests liquid - how much powder should be used???

:confused:

IslandGirl
Tue, Apr-29-03, 12:20
Jaxx, the liquid has no carb-based fillers (maltodextrin, a sugar) so is truly zero-carb per serving.

The powder is 0.5g carb per serving, 24g carb per Cup.

Can't get the liquid in North America which is why this whole thread of information and polls about getting Liquid Splenda exists.

IslandGirl
Fri, May-02-03, 14:50
Check out this thread in the main Products forum, has a link to a spiffy petition online about getting Splenda, liquid or concentrated -- though it's a US-based petition, it may be helpful to add your "voice" and sign up.

Even we Canadians could possibly benefit if filler-less Splenda becomes available in that big market to our south...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?&threadid=102229

Here's the petition link itself, if you don't want to cruise that thread right now:

http://www.petitiononline.com/Splenda1/petition.html

vicrock
Thu, May-08-03, 14:25
Is liquid Splenda available in Australia?

I have a business trip down there in July and may be able to stock up! <G>

IslandGirl
Thu, May-08-03, 17:18
Not liquid, but little tablets with almost no filler.

That would be cool.

Chloë Mae
Sat, May-10-03, 19:16
I emailed the makers of Splenda, USA, and asked about the liquid, etc.

They replied that they had no plans to introduce the liquid form in the USA.

And they also stated that they knew of no source for the liquid in another country.

BOO HISS !!! :mad:

kenisswell
Tue, May-20-03, 03:22
Any word from Trishz and her "Sugar free concentrated drink/syrup base" made with liquid SPLENDA.

I looked around at that other forum and looks like there has no new news about the product for a month or so. Looks like TrishZ has a co-op but I dont know how to get hooked up with that.

Anyone know or have any info?

Ken

sue222
Tue, May-20-03, 04:06
Ken,

Trishz had the co-op running last month to pre-sell the first 90 bottles, but she sold out, closed the link and hasn’t gotten a new one open yet. She pre-sold to help with all the original expenses of getting the bottling going.

I purchased a bottle of the “syrup base”(liquid splenda) about 4 weeks ago from the co-op, and was told that she would be mailing out any time now. She was waiting for the safety bands that go around the top of the bottles to come in. I did notice a post on the lowcarbfriends site that said that one of the buyers got their order delivered a few days ago.

I will let you know when I get mine, and if she has another web site set up for more sales.

Sue

Michele-67
Tue, May-20-03, 16:04
Thanks for the update, Sue. My Mom also ordered it from the co-op. I noticed that the website for the co-op is no longer working.

I have been checking the bulletin board on lowcarbfriends to see if anyone mentions her new website.

Let us know when you get your order.

Thanks... Michele

timco
Wed, May-28-03, 18:12
sounds good

sasquatch
Sun, Jun-01-03, 20:28
The new website will be up in a couple of weeks, i'm told

sue222
Wed, Jun-04-03, 16:52
I got my bottle of liquid Sucralose Syrup Base (liquid Splenda) today from Trishz's co-op. I usually use a whole packet of powder Splenda in my coffee, I used 8 drops(equal to 2 teaspoons of Splenda) of the liquid and it was a little too sweet. I am VERY pleases with this product so far!!!!

I will be using it later today to make an Almond Flour pound cake, which will save me 24 carbs! I will let you know how it turns out.

Sue

kenisswell
Wed, Jun-04-03, 17:26
Is the co-op reopen? Please post the address.

Ken

sasquatch
Wed, Jun-04-03, 19:39
the co-op site isn't up & running yet
(patience IS a virtue!! LOL:daze: )

RSLW
Thu, Jun-05-03, 10:56
I've been reading here and there that the company who markets Splenda has no plans of selling this in the USA, but I used to be able to buy it from one of these online low carb stores. I remember that it looked like it was packaged for sale in Brazil.

Does anybody know if it's still available anywhere?

TIA! :)

whyspers
Thu, Jun-05-03, 11:50
There was a link for it posted here yesterday I believe. You might want to do a forum search and check there.

L

RSLW
Fri, Jun-06-03, 08:05
:)

LoLa Girl
Fri, Jun-06-03, 08:11
I just bought liquid splenda last night at www.naturesflavors.com. They have free shipping for orders over $25 which is nice.

RSLW
Fri, Jun-06-03, 08:45
Did you buy the Splenda Sweet Base Syrup?

Sox
Fri, Jun-06-03, 10:04
That is not liquid splenda. That is a base for making soda etc. It's not pure anyways but may fit your needs. I did order some as well and hope it works out OK in coffee. It's also flavored with vinalla.

IslandGirl
Fri, Jun-06-03, 17:28
Originally posted by RSLW
I've been reading here and there that the company who markets Splenda has no plans of selling this in the USA, but I used to be able to buy it from one of these online low carb stores. I remember that it looked like it was packaged for sale in Brazil.

Does anybody know if it's still available anywhere?

TIA! :)

It's all in this conversational thread, makes interesting reading if you go and take a look back.

There WAS imported liquid Splenda from South America, there WAS a liquid Splenda made and sold by www.synergydiet.com (I think) and both of them got leaned on by the makers of Splenda, who also own and sell the product licensing and won't be sharing the "tabletop sweetener" market with anybody anytime soon.

The Nature's Flavors brand isn't a liquid Splenda, technically, it's a plain syrup "base" to be used for making flavored syrups, or using as a "simple syrup" substitute.

kenisswell
Sat, Jun-07-03, 00:21
Does anyone know how strong (sweet) the Nature's Flavors Splenda Syrup Base is?

How does the Nature's Flavors Splenda Syrup Base compare to Trishz "Sugar free concentrated drink/syrup base" in flavor and strength? (if anyone has both)

(Nature's Flavors) Sweet or Acidic? Is this a result of the type of preservative required by FDA?

Ken

timco
Fri, Jun-13-03, 00:53
Well, I don't know if it has been mentioned on this board, but Atkins' maple syrup w/sucralose is delicious and has zero carbs in a 1/4 CUP serving (which means, I assume, that it must be made out of liquid splenda to have a zero carb count for such a large portion). Anyway, if you are looking for a zero carb sweetener and maple flavoring wont screw up your plans, I recommend trying this syrup. I just mixed some with a bit of soy-nut butter and it tasted exactly like honey-roasted peanut butter. It was so good that I had to throw out the container of soynut butter 'cause I would have finished the whole thing tonight.

mnc6
Fri, Jun-13-03, 13:03
I could not find the Brazillian or any other link to buy liquid Splenda ??? guess I'm blind could some one post the link?

timco
Mon, Jun-16-03, 21:59
is there any difference between splenda and sucralose and can you buy sucralose or is Splenda the only form of sucralose for sale to the consumer?

kenisswell
Mon, Jun-16-03, 22:06
Originally posted by timco
is there any difference between splenda and sucralose and can you buy sucralose or is Splenda the only form of sucralose for sale to the consumer?

Sucralose is the actual name of the sweetener product.
Splenda is a brand name of Sucralose.

Right now 'Splenda' is the ONLY brand of Sucralose. (as far as I know)

I wish I could buy a different brand of Sucralose. In fact there are many people waiting and waiting to get there hands on the "pure" non diluted form of Sucralose, but this is apparently incredibly difficult to get.

(In fact I think it would be safe to say it would be easier to purchase heroine than pure liquid or powdered Sucralose.)

ken

timco
Tue, Jun-17-03, 22:14
Managed to get my hands on some pure sucralose (splenda in powdered form w/o the maltodextrin bulking agent). Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Thinking of trying to make some homemade chocolate (just melting the stuff in with a high-quality baking chocolate).

And sorry, can't reveal (yet) how I got it. But it's not a reliable, ongoing supplier so nobody get too excited.

What would you do if you had a container of this stuff? Any ideas better than making chocolate?

Also, please explain why everybody on this board so desperate for liquid splenda doesn't just use vanilla flavor Atkins or Divinci syrup? I guess it depends on what exactly you intend to use it for, but it's hard for me to imagine that the vanilla flavor is going to throw off whatever recipe you have in mind.

sue222
Wed, Jun-18-03, 00:36
Hi timco,

One of the reasons I like the liquid sucralose (I got mine from Trishz’s Co-op) instead of something like Da Vinci or Atkins flavored syrups is the difference in liquid volume. I would have to add 1 cup of Da Vinci to my cakes, muffins etc. where as I only need just over 1 Teaspoon of Trishz’s liquid sucralose to equal the sweetness. One cup of extra liquid would drown many of my recipes and I don’t have to deal with the overpowering flavor 1 cup of Da Vince would add.

Also, the liquid sucralose works out much cheaper then the flavored syrups. One 8 ounce bottle of Trishz’s base (I paid $24.00 including rural delivery fees) equals 32 cups of Splenda powder, and about 10 large bottles of Da Vinci syrup (at least $70.00!)

Trishz’s liquid syrup base is also much more concentrated then the syrups bases from Natures Flavors. 1 ½ teaspoons of Trishz’s base equal 1 cup of sugar/powdered Splenda. Natures Flavors base is more like an unflavored Da Vinci syrup in volume.

For those of you wanting to know when Trishz will have more of her liquid syrup base (liquid splenda), her web site says some time in July.

I really was a bit skeptical about buying the liquid syrup base from Trishz’s co-op, but now I wish I had ordered more then 1 bottle, it is great!

By the way, I know I sound like a commercial for Trishz’s co-op or her best friend trying to get her business, but I have never met her, and just stumbled across information about her co-op while on another low carb site. It’s too good a product not to share information about it!!!

Sue

mnc6
Wed, Jun-18-03, 04:39
so what is Trishz’s website?

sasquatch
Wed, Jun-18-03, 07:41
Originally posted by mnc6
so what is Trishz?s website?
Her site for the "Syrup Base" liquid won't be up until she is ready to take orders
-stay tuned!!! :wave:

timco
Wed, Jun-18-03, 18:53
Oh man, I really screwed up with the pure splenda! I wanted to make a homemade granola with all types of great stuff in it from a variety of nuts, to soy granules, to flaxseed, wheat germ, etc. Went to the local healthfood store, bought everything and mixed it all together in a huge $20+ granola concoction. Everything was going well till I decided to sweeten it with that pure sucralose that I got. I added what I thought was a conservative amount, but I was going by the portions that I use of the splenda that comes in the packets.

The end result was that my granola turned out so ridiculously artificialy sweet (with a bit of a nasty aftertaste) that I'm going to have to throw it out and start over. I guess this stuff isn't such a blessing after all.

Red
Wed, Jun-18-03, 19:49
:eek: Do you think you could put it in the freezer to keep, and just add part of it to some additional ingredients to spread out the spenda? I'm not sure that it would work, but you could try it with a small amount, and see.
Good Luck
Carolyn

timco
Wed, Jun-18-03, 20:25
What I've done is put the stuff in a strainer and run water over it to try to wash away some of the splenda. Now I have what's left in the oven baking at 300. It may turn out OK after all.

timco
Fri, Jun-20-03, 18:01
sue222,

How do you use this pure splenda? I have it in powdered and liquid form and I can't manage to get the right amount into my recipes, everything keeps coming out WAY too sweet.

sue222
Fri, Jun-20-03, 19:28
Timco,

If you have the pure, uncut sucralose, what you have is much, much more concentrated than what I have. Mine has been cut so that 4 drops equal a teaspoon of sugar/splenda sweetness. I seem to remember reading that the pure, uncut sucralose should be measured literally on the head of a pin!

I did a search on the lowcarbfriends web site and found the following posted information-hope it helps!

Sue222

Sucralose powder is 600 times as sweet as sugar. Therefore 1 teaspoon powder equals 600 teaspoons of sugar. Dividing 600 by 48t/cup sugar = 12.5 equivalent cups of sugar per teaspoon. Therefore you would use 1/12.5 teaspoon powder to equal 1 cup of sugar. Several of us have found it easier to mix in water for these smaller measurements. If you can measure 1/16t powder, it will equal 37.5t sugar. That would be half of 1/8t powder plus a little to get to 48t sugar...I would probably use 1/8t powder for the equivalent of 75t or 1.5 cups for a little sweeter batch.

Here a post about making smaller amounts of liquid Splenda from the powder which will result in a mixturel yielding the equivalent of 1 cup of sugar per 1/4 teaspoon of liquid splenda:

1 oz. powder (4 tablespoons) in 2 cups water
2 tablespoons in 1 cup water
1 tablespoon in 1/2 cup (4 oz. water)
1/2 tablespoon in 1/4 cup (2 oz. water)

timco
Thu, Jun-26-03, 06:17
Let me start out (and finish) by saying: I don't agree, but I understand.

I don't agree with the decision not to make pure sucralose available to the public, but after experimenting with the stuff in liquid and powdered form over the last couple of weeks I do understand why they wont let us have it.

This stuff is so vastly sweeter (600x sweeter, according to sue222, and I would say AT LEAST that much now from personal experience) than regular sugar or regular splenda that I have managed to pretty much ruin everything I have tried it in, no matter how small the amount I seem to add. This stuff is not easy to use and I would imagine that it is pretty common in the world of food production not to make such powerful products available directly to consumers. So, first of all, it is difficult to use.

Second of all, what would they charge for this stuff? Just thinking from a business perspective, it seems like they could make so much more money by just selling the watered down (or powdered down) stuff than by selling this. If pure sucralose is 600x sweeter than what we buy as splenda, and splenda comes in boxes containing 50 packets, they would have to charge us what they would charge for roughly 12 BOXES of diluted splenda for a single tiny PACKET of the pure stuff (how is that for an SAT question?). I mean, they pretty much know that all of us clamboring for the pure stuff are just a well-informed, tiny minority that is going to by the watered down stuff anyway, so what would their incentive be for selling us the pure stuff?

In closing, let me assure you that I am not an employee of splenda or of one of its subsidiaries (if it has any subsidiaries), and I am certainly not looking to get anyone too worked up about this (I know it is a sensitive topic).

Again, I don't agree, but I do understand.

IslandGirl
Fri, Jun-27-03, 15:10
Originally posted by timco
... all of us clamboring for the pure stuff are just a well-informed, tiny minority that is going to by the watered down stuff anyway...Again, I don't agree, but I do understand.

Actually, I must point out that you ALMOST understand...

The vast majority of the clamoring, as you put it, is for -- as in the title of this very 'thread' -- Liquid Splenda , which is pure sucralose literally watered down to an easily usable form because the 'filler' or carrier is carbohydrate-free water instead of maltodextrin or dextrose...

It would actually be more profitable, I think, because though sugar is cheap in manufacturing, water is cheaper!

timco
Fri, Jun-27-03, 15:43
Oh.

potatofree
Sat, Jun-28-03, 12:50
I live about two miles from the Canadian border.. I'm ready to roll the minute liquid Splenda hits the shelves on either side of the "line".. :roll:

KristieP
Wed, Jul-02-03, 22:07
http://www.locarber.com/store/index.php?&catID=CS-01

Make your low carb recipes taste great with our 0 Carb Syrup Concentrate! It has the same great taste as sugar without the carbs and no aftertaste like other sweeteners.
(8oz) bottle equals the sweetness of 32 cups of sugar
4 drops = 1 tsp of sugar sweetness
1.5 tsp = 1 cup of sugar sweetness

That is a saving of over 768 carbs over the equivelant amount of powdered artificial sweetener. And on average a savings of $40.85 over 50 ct or 2 cup bulk boxes of powdered sweeteners.

I am ordering some tonight!

KristieP

kenisswell
Wed, Jul-02-03, 22:16
They don't list any of the ingredients. :( Is this trish's super syrup containing sucrolose????
ken

Make your low carb recipes taste great with our 0 Carb Syrup Concentrate! ...
...I am ordering some tonight!

KristieP

julienne
Wed, Jul-02-03, 22:26
thanks trish, order on its way, hope you become a millionaire,

julienne

asalvato
Fri, Jul-04-03, 09:35
I just ordered and this is definately Trish's web site. When I paid using PayPal it showed Trish as the one being paid. Moderator, it would be really super to do a new thread with this web site. I just spent 2 hours going through this thread to find that we really can not get a liquid for sweetening with zero carbs.

asalvato
Fri, Jul-04-03, 09:37
sorry meant NOW not NOT

We can NOW get a liquid for sweetening with zero carbs.

potatofree
Sat, Jul-05-03, 22:56
sorry meant NOW not NOT

We can NOW get a liquid for sweetening with zero carbs.

I know it's not Splenda, but I've been using Sweet-n-Low liquid. It's saccharine, I believe, but still water-based, with 0 carbs. It'll do for now.

asalvato
Sun, Jul-06-03, 14:37
I just received an e-mail from Trish. She is not yet selling the liquid sweetener. If I hear anything more from her I will let you all know. Meanwhile I ordered Splenda tablets from a pharmacy in Australia. If I actually get them, I will let you know where to order and what they cost me in US$.

Michele-67
Sun, Jul-06-03, 21:34
Has anyone from Canada ordered and received Trish's liquid Splenda? I heard that it was getting sent back at the border. Just wondering...

Thanks... Michele

IslandGirl
Mon, Jul-07-03, 19:18
Trish's webpage at www.locarber.com (http://www.locarber.com) keeps changing, but I was looking at it just a couple of days ago and it said quite prominently "US Shipping Only".

IslandGirl
Mon, Jul-07-03, 19:25
I just ordered and this is definately Trish's web site. When I paid using PayPal it showed Trish as the one being paid. Moderator, it would be really super to do a new thread with this web site. I just spent 2 hours going through this thread to find that we really can not get a liquid for sweetening with zero carbs.
Anyone can start a new thread, I'd recommend (if you want it to be specific to TrishZ's new product of "0-Carb (Splenda) Syrup Concentrate") that you use that exact phrase in the Subject line...

I'll put these posts about that particular product in there for you if you start the thread....

PS: a quick tip if you're wanting to look through a thread that has many pages ... start at the 'back' and work your way through the most RECENT posts first, it'll save you a lot of time. You can also set your Preferences on your Profile to sort out your displayed threads in most-recent-first order...

KristieP
Mon, Jul-07-03, 20:10
I emailed the site that I found and got NO REPLY. I guess it's not in business or they just don't care.

KrisiteP

timco
Wed, Jul-16-03, 17:04
So, I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this before, but here is my Splenda conspiracy theory.

Remember how it took so long for Splenda to be approved in this country, despite it having been available for years in Canada and elsewhere? Has anyone suggested that this delay was caused by major behind-the-scenes maneuvering by Nutrasweet? Anyone who has delved into the Aspartame controversy knows that the only reason the stuff was approved was because Nutrasweet had so many shady connections to the FDA and the panel that approved the sweetener, despite a pretty overwhelming amount of evidence that the stuff could be bad for you. It wouldn't seem like too much of a long shot that Nutrasweet called on these connections to keep a competing product (especially one that was vastly superior in both safety and taste) out of the market for as long as possible.

Any thoughts on this? I haven't really seen any negative reports on the health of effects of Splenda, so why did it take so long for the FDA to approve its use in this country?

Annalise
Mon, Jul-21-03, 08:05
I dunno just sounds like an instant laxitive to me, imagine the damage that could be done to brownies!

asalvato
Mon, Jul-21-03, 13:48
I received my order of Splenda tablets from Australia. I ordered 4 bottles (200 tablets each). 1 tablet has sweetness equivalent to 1 teaspoon of sugar. The cost Australian $ was $7.19 each plus $7.00 S&H for a total of $35.76. I checked my credit card and the total in US$ is $24.99.

I ordered from National Pharmacies at www.nationalpharmacies.com.au. Look at my previous message for the date I ordered them. Sorry I don't remember. I charged them to my American Express card.

KristieP
Mon, Jul-21-03, 15:32
Anything that the government approves is always a long time. Check out some of the drugs that have been approved in other countries and took years to get approved in the US.

asalvato
Mon, Jul-28-03, 07:20
I ordered Fiberfit from Nutragenics. Ingredients: water, soluble fiber, sucralose, gluconic acid, guar gum, irish moss an preserved with less than 1/10th of 1% potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate.

One teaspoon has the sweetness of 4 teaspoons of sugar. Calories 4, fat 0, carb 1, fiber 1, sugar 0, sodium 0, protein 0.

I have used for cooking and it is great. I have used in it coffee and tea and it is great. The extra fiber cannot be bad and the effective carb count is zero.

Tiff
Mon, Jul-28-03, 09:58
I have liquid splenda that is 4 drops =1tsp sugar equivalent. I have been using it in my coffee and tea but would like to cook with it. When I substitute it for the granular splenda in recipes, what do I replace the bulk with? I mean 1 cup of "substance" would be missing and replaced with just 1.5 tsp liquid. Any suggestions? Thanks!

asalvato
Thu, Jul-31-03, 10:44
Where did you get liquid splenda?

I use not/Sugar. This adds the texture that you get from sugar in a recipe. The recommendation on the package is to use 1T for every C of sugar left out of a recipe.

c6h6o3
Mon, Aug-04-03, 09:27
I have liquid splenda

WHERE DID YOU GET LIQUID SPLENDA? This is very important. Thousands of us want it and it's been taken off the market in the US.
WHERE DID YOU GET IT?

Ophelia42
Mon, Aug-04-03, 14:17
Well this was posted on page 15:

http://www.locarber.com/store/index.php?&catID=CS-01

It says it will be available Mid August... I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Ophelia42
Tue, Aug-05-03, 17:50
Hmm, can someone edit my last message?

This is not available yet (though should be soon!)

welder
Wed, Aug-06-03, 20:43
Don't count on it I've used these people before and had nothing but problems with them. The products don't come when they promise and they are very rude!

potatofree
Thu, Aug-07-03, 17:43
WHERE DID YOU GET LIQUID SPLENDA? This is very important. Thousands of us want it and it's been taken off the market in the US.
WHERE DID YOU GET IT?

It hasn't been taken OFF the market.. it's never been ON the market...that's the problem..<grumble>

tofi
Thu, Aug-07-03, 19:24
And I couldn't see anything that said that the 0-carb syrup concentrate WAS Splenda. It doesn't say what it was. Too bad.

I have tried the Splenda tablets from Australia and they taste better than the bulk or the packets.

The packets have less filler & fewer carbs than the bulk. But the filler is necessary to duplicate the results of baking with sugar. Of course, the filler IS a form of sugar so no wonder.

I sure wish people would sign the petition in my signature.

tofi
Thu, Aug-07-03, 19:26
Actually, pure powdered Splenda used to be available online from a couple of sites. I understand that it was imported from Brazil and resold. I also have read that the McNeil company, who are the ONLY firm allowed to sell Splenda in North America, forced the sites to stop selling the powder. Drat!

nicksmom
Thu, Aug-07-03, 21:57
Tofi, I signed up under your signature! :dazzle:

tofi
Fri, Aug-08-03, 19:14
Thank you - it might just work if we can get to 15,000 signatures.

tammy39
Mon, Sep-08-03, 19:38
has anyone tried sweet-10,its a liquid sugar substitute.it has 0-carbs 0-cals i got it at a texas grocery store called brookshire bros. i have a pumkin pie in the oven that i made with it,i made it with the sweet-10 and brown sugar twin,i will let you know how it turned out Tammy

Stephen596
Tue, Sep-23-03, 06:37
I want some of this stuff, will keep looking

asalvato
Thu, Sep-25-03, 16:56
http://www.locarber.com

I ordered from Trish and my order arrived this week. It took a while--probably 4-6 weeks but she did warn that it would be at least 4.

Zero Carb Syrup Base-water, liquid sucralose, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, citric acid.

4 drops = 1 tsp sugar
3/4 teaspoon = 1/2 cur sugar

asalvato
Sun, Oct-12-03, 09:28
I have had the liquid Splenda product from Trish for a while now and it is great. I used it to cook and bake and it works very well.

MyJourney
Wed, Oct-15-03, 08:13
They told me that liquid splenda is available in Australia and somewhere in south america.

The lady said she couldnt tell me where to find it and there arent enough requests for them to market it in the US.

She also told me she didnt know any websites where I could get it from either. I guess I will need to look at an australian search engine or something.

Liquid splenda has my support!

-MJ-

Kristine
Sun, Oct-19-03, 19:24
Argh! I knew they wouldn't ship to Canada. :mad:

Rosebud
Tue, Nov-04-03, 16:29
They told me that liquid splenda is available in Australia
Nope, not available here. We do have the tablets here though, which are very low in carbs. 0.075 carbs per tablet (equivalent to 1 teaspoon sugar) and 3.6 carbs for 48 tablets (equiv to 1 cup of sugar), as opposed to 24 carbs for 1 cup of granular Splenda.

HTH

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

allerfree
Sat, Nov-15-03, 17:17
I'm allergic to corn and the maltodextrine they use in the splenda made me sick. Supposedly to broken down to cause problems... REALLY wrong.. I'll keeep pushing.