PDA

View Full Version : Quit smoking and stalls??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Merryheart
Sat, Dec-04-04, 02:25
I've been loosing weight steadily at an average rate of two pounds a week for a total of 40 pounds. Six weeks ago, I hit 240 pounds and there I stayed. I quit smoking 3 weeks ago, and joined a gym where I work out daily. Each week I weigh, I am 240 pounds.......week after week. I have not lost any inches either. I am getting very frustrated.

I am keeping my carbs between 20 and 30 a day, but my calorie intake is around 2100 per day.

Has anyone else out there hit a stall when they quit smoking, in spite of sticking to low carbs? How long did your stall last?? I still have another 100 pounds to loose, I need some encouragement and hope.

kelly77
Tue, Dec-14-04, 14:19
I'd say, be thankful you haven't gained any weight after quitting! Most people do, at least at first until they get their sugar cravings under control. Also, if you've just joined a gym and are working out, you are probably gaining muscle mass, which means more weight. I'm not surprised you may be in a stall, what with all the changes your body is experiencing just now. Maybe now's the time to lower your caloric intake. 2100 cals is a bit on the high side - it may be just the thing to bolt you back into weight-loss mode again. btw, congrats on your 3 weeks of being smoke free (I guess 4 weeks now). That's terrific!! That's more important than any weight loss at the moment, don't you think? You're holding steady on the weight. Just concentrate on keeping it all together and you'll be fine. I didn't stall when I quit (yet anyway) mainly because I also gave up caffeine and alcohol at the same time, which are two known roadblocks to losing.

Give it more time before you begin to worry - one day at a time will get the job done!

Jackee
Thu, Dec-16-04, 09:15
It is a fact that the chemicals in cigarettes raise your metabolism. Now you are stablizing after quitting. I think it is wonderful you are sweating it out at the gym. What a great way to combat cravings, get in shape and not gain any weight while yr metabolism stablizes. Hang in there. Hopefully everything will be track soon. I do know that for the average person, smoking raises their metabolisim by about 250 cals....so perhaps you need to decrease 1 thing from yr diet or add an extra 1/2 hr of exercise to yr routine (tough I know) to get yr weight loss back on the wagon. Good luck and take care!