PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to 5 minute smoke break

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Dylan
Mon, Nov-29-04, 22:56
I believe that when you make a conscious effort to do something it should happen at that moment. Just do it! However, I also believe in making a plan of action. For someone like myself who requires routine this is going to be a difficult challenge because this of the routine I have developed with Low Carbing includes my smoking habits.
My first step is to do more searches on the support I can recieve when I make that first step to STOP smoking. Secondly, I want to make a list of alternatives that will help replace the 5 minutes it takes to smoke a cigarette. Thirdly, make that goal day.
Basically I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or personal experiences in such a situation.

EXLarge
Wed, Dec-01-04, 18:03
You had it right the first time, just do it! Don't make a plan, because your just putting it off.

I think I'm just the opposite of people here. I actually started LCing again, because I stopped smoking. I hadn't smoked for over 3 years then went without a job for 18 mnths and started again 6 months into it. So I smoked this last go around for about a year. This was the 3rd time I had started, I guess you could say I'm a yo-yo smoker. This time I had made a promise to quit once I got a job. Once I finally started my new job it took about two months of reminding myself I was going to quit, then one day I just did it. Something clicked in my head, I made up my mind, and there wasn't anything that was going to stop me.

After about two weeks, I realized. Hey, that stubborn side of me is really paying off for a change. So having lost 30 lbs the prior year doing LC, I decided I would use the same attitude and finish my goal from the year prior. So here I am back at it. The mind is a terrible thing, if you don't use it.

I wish you all the luck in the world in quitting, it is something that is extremely hard to do. But if you get that feeling in your head, you know what I"m talking about, just do it right then. Take the pack and throw it away, no matter how many are left. I've found this is a great place to chat and release for LCing, so use it for smoking as well.

Good luck :thup:

Dylan
Thu, Dec-02-04, 05:19
You know what? You are right! My mother quite smoking 7 years ago just like that because she just said "that's enough!".
Ive been trying to put my life in perspective and saying that "once I have done this or that" is just delaying. Whether or not I am focusing on LC'ing strictly right now, shouldn't give me the excuse to master this and then quit smoking. Thank you , I know this---- I just needed to hear it.

EXLarge
Fri, Dec-03-04, 09:11
Give'm hell, If you can go for two weeks, your done. Keep that in mind. 2 weeks. If you stop today, you'll be a non smoker by christmas. It's a hard road, but you have the right idea.