PDA

View Full Version : Doreen's Study Journal - Aug/Sept

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

doreen T
Wed, Aug-15-01, 09:49
I will be starting officially on Sunday 19 August, in oder to keep the fasting days, and dairy-free high-calorie days from Monday through Thursday. I anticipate some conflicts with weekends over the next 4 weeks that might make adhering to those parts of the plan difficult.

For the most part, I will post facts and data ONLY in this journal, and plan to maintain my Bootcamp journal with the musings and ruminations ... ;)

Doreen

doreen T
Sun, Aug-19-01, 11:43
(I'll fill in the required data at the end of each day).

Just wanted to document here that I did a trial Fat Fast day yesterday, stuck to it faithfully ... if anyone's curious, I posted the menu with all nutrient counts and recipes in the Fat Fast Recipes thread in this forum, or click here to read it (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=138460&t=63#post138460).

doreen T
Sun, Aug-19-01, 18:48
Week 1, Day 1 .. Sunday, 19 Aug.

Today’s Program: regular Lowcarb day

Foods eaten :

- 3 Tbsp flaxmeal "porridge", tsp butter, dot vanilla, stevia
- 3 oz can tuna, 1 c. shredded lettuce, 6 radishes, curried mayo, small dill pickle
- rib steak, marinated in olive oil, minced garlic & herbs, 1 c. steamed cauliflower, tsp butter, lemon pepper
- 1 Tbsp flax oil, sipped
- 3 coffees, 1/2 Tbsp heavy cream in each
- pot o' tea, 3 liters water

calories : 1668
Fat: 130g (71%)
Carbs: 28g (4%) / Fiber: 12g = 16g ECC
Protein: 103g (25%)

cal per lb = 9.5

Activity : Did mega-housework like a fiend for 2 hrs. Worked up a big sweat, now I'm wiped!

Measurements :

- ht. 5'6", wt. 180
- bust/41", ribcage/33.25", waist/32.75, hip 6" below waist/42.5", hip 9" below waist/44.75", thighs (Rt)/26", (Lt)/25.5", knees (Rt)/19", (Lt)/18.75", ankles (Rt)/9.75", (Lt)/9.75", upper arms (Rt)/14", (Lt)/14", neck/13.5"

I will report my weight and measurements again at halfway, then again at the end of the Study, which for me will be Sunday 16 September.

Thoughts : Menu for tomorrow (Fat Fast) is planned. Different from the trial of yesterday. Variety is going to be a challenge; I hate eating the same things over and over .. :rolleyes:

Doreen

doreen T
Mon, Aug-20-01, 10:50
Week 1, Day 2 .. Monday, 20 Aug.

Today’s Program: Fat Fast

Menu :

- pkg orange diet jello, made as directed, then 1/4 cup heavy cream whipped and folded in when partially set ..... to snack on through the day
- 1 Tbsp flax oil, sipped off the spoon
- 1/2 avocado (black-skin variety is higher fat, lower carbs) in chunks, 1 cooked egg yolk, chopped, 1 Tbsp toasted pine nuts, with dressing of 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice, dash chili powder, 2 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp mayonnaise. Fold gently, then serve on a bed of shredded raw spinach and boston lettuce (1 c. of each). I plan to have 1/2 for lunch, the other half for supper. For a bare trace of carbs (mostly fiber ;)) I think I'll add some chopped fresh cilantro to the avocado-egg yolk salad.
- 1 cup sugar-free chicken broth, seasoned, to go with supper salad
- 1 Tbsp cream used in my coffee this morning.
- 5 liters water .. :cool:

calories : 1022
Fat : 101g (89%)
Carbs: 17g (4%) / Fiber: 6g = 11g EC's
Protein: 17g

Activity : none

Thoughts : (late Monday p.m.) - I wasn't hungry at all early in the day, but once that sun went down .. phwoom ... bored and hungry. Bad mix. Anyway, I staved it off with two big glasses of water, some clear tea, and lo' and behold I still had some diet jello w. cream that I'd saved from this afternoon... :cool:

Doreen

doreen T
Tue, Aug-21-01, 09:51
Today is Day 3, calorie-boost day. Somehow or other, I have to cram 2300 calories into my face by the time I go to bed tonight. I ate a big breakfast (for me), now it's pushing noon, I'm still stuffed and I honestly don't know if I can force down as much food as I've planned for ... without being sick... :(

It's odd, you know, I think back to highCARB days, and 2300 calories would be nothing ... two glazed donuts rack up over 500 cals, washed down with a double-double large coffee at 140 cals .. a Harvey's reg. cheeseburger & fries rack up over 700 cals. I'd eat that, and be hungry a couple hours later.

Wish me luck

Doreen

doreen T
Tue, Aug-21-01, 09:58
this is what I've planned to eat today

Tuesday 21 Aug.

Today's Program : Calorie Boost, dairy-free

Menu -

- 4 strips low-salt bacon, 2 egg +1 egg white scrambled, 4 oz. daikon hashbrowns (cooked in bacon fat) w. green onion, 1/3 bag pork rinds crumbled
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken from deli (I promise to eat the skin), small salad, 1 Tbsp ranch drsg .... it will likely take me lunch and a snack to eat all of this .. :eek:
- 3 oz each shrimp and scallops w. cauliflower & red pepper, ginger, garlic, coconut milk, lime, chilis & cilantro
- 2 coffees w. coconut milk (I tried it, it's palatable, more so than black)
- tea, water ....

calories : 2338
Fat: 175g (67%)
Carbs: 30g (4%) / Fiber: 6g = 24g EC's
Protein: 172g (29%)
cal per lb. = 13

Activity - went for a long walk in the rain, after massage therapy. My neck and shoulders are really bad lately; too much time parked on my butt in front of this computer!!

Thoughts - I'm finding it really, really helpful to plot my menus a day or two in advance using Fitday.com

Doreen

Sadai
Tue, Aug-21-01, 10:31
Doreen
I agree with the menu planning in advance and since you sound like you really know what your doing… I am trying to follow your menus, hope you don’t mind, as I am really bad at figuring out the math part?? But I am having a bit of a problem, could you tell me what the following are?? And where to find daikon hash browns, pork rinds also Cilantro I asked at Safeway and they never heard of them???

“ - 3 oz each shrimp and scallops w. cauliflower & red pepper, ginger, garlic, coconut milk, lime, chilies & cilantro”
Regarding mixture (which sounds yummy) what amounts should I use??? I am really stuck at figuring out my portions… ??? I guess I will have to add some more calories for the Carb Boost day, as I must make it to 2700??? Can you imagine, *lol* you are so right with your comment about how easy it could be with the doughnuts and cheeseburger… :D Thanks Doreen

You can post your reply in my journal, or whichever's most convenient for you ??? Sandi

doreen T
Tue, Aug-21-01, 11:11
daikon, also known as long white radish, lo bok or oriental radish, there have been endless discussions in the Lowcarb Kitchen forum ;), and many of them in the last couple of days. Here's a link to my recipe for the hashbrowns .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4437 .. and here's a link to a picture of daikon that I posted .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=97953&t=7089#post97953 .. so you can recognise it at the grocery store. If you absolutely cannot find it, then just substitute ordinary red radishes, the common kind that you can buy everywhere ... they lose their bite and become very mild and sweet-tasting when cooked. You'll also see in the thread about the hashbrowns that Rachel came up with the idea to add a handful of crumbled pork rinds, which I have done to add a few more calories/protein to my menu. (for me, I weighed the daikon, 4 oz., 1 green onion and 1/3 bag pork rinds, and cooked it in 2 Tbsp bacon drippings. I scrambled the eggs in the same pan - after putting the hashbrowns on the serving plate - to get the last bit of fat and flavour)

You will have to adjust the portion sizes to get the higher calories. Uggh, and good luck (from one chronic undereater to another ;))

Cilantro is a fresh green herb, also called coriander or chinese parsley. It looks like parsley, often with the roots still attached ... when you rub the leaves, the scent is like grated orange peel. Some people don't like it, I've heard it described as tasting like soap ..:p .. It's a staple ingredient in Mexican, and East Asian cooking. I love it. Here's an article about it, with a picture .. http://www.cnn.com/2000/FOOD/news/09/11/cilantro.lat/

Easiest way to add calories is to bump up the fat intake. A Tbsp olive or canola oil or bacon drippings has 120 calories. If I can't eat all the protein foods today, I will make up the difference with oil. No kidding, I will sip it off a spoon if I have to. I am so SICK of being stalled, and doing everything right .. and I am determined to do this right to the letter and make it work.

For the thai-curry - 1 c. cauliflower, 1/2 medium red bell pepper, 1 clove garlic, 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger, 1 Tbsp canola oil to stir fry in, plus 1 tsp toasted sesame oil added at end for flavouring, juice and grated rind from 1/2 lime (on the seafood) I usually just throw stuff together according to whim, so sorry that it isn't a proper recipe. 1/2 cup canned coconut milk ... add at the end, and stir over med. heat till thickened a bit. Serve with a handful chopped fresh cilantro over all.

hope this is helpful, and as the weeks progress, I'm sure you'll get some ideas and recipes of your own that will fit in. Use the Fitday.com and plug in your planned menus a day or two in advance, and then you can see where you need to increase fat, or cut back carbs etc...... that's how I've been doing it. At the top of the Fitday page, where you select the foods eaten, you can click on the forward >> arrows to advance to the next day, or days and weeks ahead, and so your menus are all there and ready to go.

Doreen

doreen T
Tue, Aug-21-01, 21:51
Well, I did it, I ate everything I'd planned but it was a challenge. 2300 calories is a lot, but looking at the nutrient breakdown, I see that I could increase the fat, and cut back on the meat/protein. That's what was the hardest thing. For me, a single chicken breast or a leg quarter is a serving, and to force in half a chicken took me all afternoon. It wasn't a particularly big chicken either.

Fat intake was 67%. Maybe I will bump that up to 75%, that would be 191.7g of fat. I could use more olive oil, and have an avocado, maybe a handful of brazil nuts. That level would allow me to drop my protein to 125g, which would be a lot easier for me to consume. My next Calorie Boost day will be Thursday. I definitely will need to do some planning... ;)

Doreen

Karen
Tue, Aug-21-01, 23:57
Excellent! You survived!

Oh, oh! Here comes nag girl....

"25 grams of carbohydrates in the form of green vegetables only." ;)

Karen

doreen T
Wed, Aug-22-01, 08:49
AAAhhh .... so daikon and cauliflower are not considered "green". I guess I was thinking in terms of green as in "lowcarbiness". As opposed to orange or red (carrots, tomatoes). Hmm, and I did have red bell pepper instead of green. I'll have to rethink my menu for the next Cal-Boost day... which just happens to be tomorrow. Oh yes, the carbs in my morning coffee are quite green ;)

I double-checked the carb counts, and total for the day was actually 28g minus 6g fiber. So I gather the rule is for 25 TOTAL carbs, not effective carbs. This is not specified in the guidelines.

At least I didn't eat 30g protein on my Fat Fast day. Neener, neener .. ;)

Doreen

doreen T
Wed, Aug-22-01, 20:03
Week One, Day 4 .... Wednesday, 22 Aug.

Today's Program: Lean Protein "Stillman"

Menu

- custardy thing, made of 3 oz silken tofu, 1/2 c. dry curd cottage cheese, 2 egg whites (recipe is in the Stillman thread)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (total 10 oz), poached in 1/2 cup broth w. bay leaf, then added 1/2 tsp chipotle paste to the broth, and used as a dipping sauce :)
- 6 oz flounder fillets, spread w. a little dijon, black pepper .. broiled, not bad, the dijon kept the fish from drying out
- 1 cup diet Jello
- black coffee, 3 liters water

calories: 1029
Fat: 12g (11%)
Carbs: 4g (2%)
.. Fiber: 0
Protein: 211g (87%)

Activity - hike, about 5 km

Thoughts - after the Calorie Boost yesterday, I still felt "full" this morning, but was fine as the morning progressed. Coffee will do that ;) .. Today, using broth and mustard to keep the meats moist made them more palatable.

I'm planning for the next Calorie Boost day tomorrow, and I learned my lesson yesterday .... EAT MORE FAT! Pork rinds dipped in mayo, here I come.

Doreen

doreen T
Thu, Aug-23-01, 00:08
..... for a couple days. And yes, I plan to stick to the Study. Tomorrow is Calorie Boost/Day 5 of the cycle. I've prepared sirloin burgers to cut into strips and eat cold, and a marinated GREEN veggie salad w. olive oil, and pork rinds, and yes mayo. dip. I have a small freezerpak thingy to keep stuff cold for several hours at least. I can order steaks or rotisserie chicken, and I'm taking my own olive oil in a tiny bottle to add to any salad that I order.

I am determined to do this, and hopefully the results will be worth it .. ;)

Doreen

Stina
Thu, Aug-23-01, 00:10
Have a great weekend Doreen and hopefully the results from this study will really help you!

r.mines
Thu, Aug-23-01, 08:17
Have a good trip, Doreen, 'see' you when you get back! My the Whoosh Fairy ride on your left shoulder....

Rachel

doreen T
Sun, Aug-26-01, 20:49
Thursday, 23 August

Today's Program: Lowcarb, Calorie Boost

Menu

- 2 tbsp flax oil
- grd sirloin buger, dipped in 3 Tbsp mayonnaise + 1 tsp chipotles
- 2 oz bag pork rinds
- 2 Swiss Chalet chicken leg quarters, including skin, 3 cups salad, ranch drsg
- 8oz tenderloin filet steak broiled in butter, spinach & mushroom salad w. warm vinaigrette (couple Tbsp minced cooked egg white on top)
- 1/2 oz dried salted squid
- 5 coffees, 3 of them with cream. Gasp!
- 1.5 liters water

calories: 2542 .... :eek:
Fat: 182g (65%)
Carbs: 23g (2%) / Fiber: 8g
Protein: 205g (33%)

cal. per lb = 14.1

Activity: Spent the day in Toronto, walked till I had a blister .... talked and laughed till I had a hoarse throat. Thanks Karen .. ;)

Thoughts: Well, I put cream in my restaurant coffees. So shoot me.. :rolleyes: .. It was all Karen's fault. **LOL** Just kidding, she actually was gasping, eyes bugged out of her head and trying to pry the cream pitcher out of my hand .. "No, no, no dairy!!" Sheeeesh! But at least the salads were GREEN

Doreen

doreen T
Sun, Aug-26-01, 21:17
Friday, 24 August

Today's program: regular Low-carb

Menu

- 6 oz. SF headcheese (beef & pork), 1 stalk broccoli, steamed, butter, lemon pepper
- 6 oz grd sirloin patty, 2 Tbsp mayo & 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp chipotle purée for dipping, 2 cups mixed greens salad, ranch drsg
- 2 oz bag pork rinds, 1/4 c. sour cream w. 1/4 c. PC salsa
- 3 coffees w. cream
- pot of green tea, 2.5 liters water

calories: 1774
Fat: 149g (76%)
Carbs: 25g (4%) / Fiber: 9g = 16g ECC
Protein: 89g (20%)

cal. per lb = 9.9

Activity: hiked 5 km

Thoughts: So relieved to be just eating regular lowcarb. I didn't have a set menu planned for today, but I did make a point to eat more vegetable fats and oil.

doreen T
Sun, Aug-26-01, 21:37
Saturday, 25 August

Menu

- whey protein shake, w. Tbsp cream and Tbsp flax oil
- chicken leg quarter w. skin, marinated veggies (broccoli, red pepper, carrot .. ), Greek salad .. kalamata olives, small cantaloupe wedge
- 1 oz edam cheese
- 4 oz hamburg patty (tossed the buns) .. jack cheese, bacon, tomato, dill pickle, lettuce, mustard, small caesar salad, no croutons
- 5 coffees w. cream
- 1.5 liters water

calories: 1787
Fat: 136g (68%)
Carbs: 35g (8%) / Fiber: 7g = 28g ECC
Protein: 114g (24%)

cal. per lb = 9.9

Activity: +++ walking, hill-climbing .... my legs are aching still today

Thoughts: I packed a lowcarb picnic lunch for my mom and younger brother (who has lost 45 lbs lowcarbing :)) .. spent a great day hiking and prowling out of the way places.

doreen T
Sun, Aug-26-01, 22:06
Sunday, 26 August

Menu

- cottage cheese/sour cream/almond butter/eggs blended w. stevia & nutmeg and baked in well-buttered dish ... was great, like a rich pudding .. nibbled at it through the day
- huge salad w. baby spinach & mixed greens, sweet red peppers, slice of sweet onion, raw mushrooms ... 5 oz leftover chicken, dijon & olive oil vinaigrette w. tsp balsamic
- 3 coffees w. cream
- pot of green tea, pot of ginseng tea, 1.5 liters water

calories: 1871
Fat: 160g (77%)
Carbs: 33g (6%) / Fiber: 7g = 26g ECC
Protein: 83g (18%)

cal. per lb = 10.4

Activity: housecleaning, laundry ... in this heat and humidity, and the sweat I worked up, counts as aerobic exercise in my book :)

Thoughts: Tomorrow is Fat Fast day ... I have the necessary ingredients, just haven't plotted the menu yet. Better go do that before I go to bed, and print it out. I don't want to be unprepared.

Doreen

doreen T
Mon, Aug-27-01, 09:36
Monday, 27 August

Today's program: Fat Fast

Menu

- 2 egg yolks microwaved in 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 c. home-made chicken broth, 1/2 c. avocado cubes, white part of scallion, 1 Tbsp olive oil .... puréed into soup
- 1 c. mixed baby greens, green part of scallion, 1 Tbsp mayo, 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp fresh lemon jce, 1/2 tsp dried dillweed, 1/2 oz. goat cheddar grated
- 2 coffees w. 1 Tbsp cream in each in a.m.
- 1 coffee in p.m., black ... I didn't die from the experience, maybe I'll live through the next 3 days cream-free ;)
- 4 liters water, probably more before I hit the pillow

calories: 1020
Fat: 104g (91%)
Carbs: 11g (3%) / Fiber: 5g
Protein: 15g (6%)

Activity: walked downtown, briskly, carrying load of books both ways - switched arms frequently and carried close to center of gravity ... ~ 1 hr. Legs & shoulders are fine, but wrists and lower arms will pay tomorrow .. :(

Thoughts: black coffee ... I used to prefer it that way, before all the meds I have to take now. We'll see over the next few days how my gut holds out from the assault. Tomorrow is Calorie Boost day. The menu is set out and my fridge is ready .. :cool: .. It's easier to boost fat intake than protein, that's for sure.

doreen T
Tue, Aug-28-01, 20:59
Tuesday, 28 August

Today's program: Low-carb Calorie Boost

Menu

- 1 Tbsp flax oil
- 2 eggs + 2 whites omelet, filled w. 1/2 c. zucchini & 1 scallion sautéed in bacon fat, 4 sl. low-salt bacon
- 5 oz grd sirloin patty, 2 c. broccoli dribbled w. meat drippings
- 1 very special can of salmon, 4 Tbsp mayo, on a bed of baby greens and extra baby spinach
- another Tbsp flax oil
- 3 black coffees
- herb tea, 3 liters water

calories: 2324
Fat: 183g (72%)
Carbs: 25g (3%) / Fiber: 10g
Protein: 147g (26%)

cal. per lb = 13

Activity: 1/2 hr yoga stretching (video), 45 minute walk after the thunderstorm... it smelled wonderful. We haven't had serious rain for so long!

Thoughts: Increasing fat is definitely the way to go. I didn't feel so stuffed today, as I did last week, when I ate over 200g protein plus all the fat and carbs. Tomorrow is Lean Protein/Stillman day, and no doubt I will eat -- or try to eat -- 200g prot. but I won't be having much of anything else. I bought myself 1½ lbs King Crab legs to munch on .. :cool: .. Zero carbs and minimal fat.

doreen T
Thu, Aug-30-01, 12:37
Wednesday, 29 August

Today's program: Lean Protein/Stillman

Menu

- 1/2 pkg lite silken tofu
- 4 egg whites
- 6 oz crabmeat (real, not fake)
- 8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup home-made chicken broth
- 1 cup diet Jello
- 2 cups black coffee
- 750 ml bottle Perrier, 3 liters water
(note - the lite silken tofu has a higher water content, thus 6 oz = similar nutrient count, calories etc as 3 oz regular tofu)

calories: 748
Fat: 14g (17%)
Carbs: 7g (4%) / Fiber: 0
Protein: 140g (79%)

cal. per lb = 4.3 :eek:

Activity: Long walk in am. Had acupuncture treatment in afternoon and felt totally bagged-out afterwards. It often brings my pain and muscle spasm to a head ... like a cleansing reaction .. so I go through a horrid day and night, then feel lots better.

Thoughts: I'm not going to subject myself to the vileness of drycurd cottage cheese ever again .. :p .. Actually, I think I'm going to avoid COWdairy for the next little while (except for ghee) .. and use goat & sheep milk products on the allowed days of the program. The fat fast day can done without dairy fat.

Doreen

doreen T
Thu, Aug-30-01, 21:20
Thursday, 30 August

Today's program: Calorie Boost

Menu

- 1 Tbsp flax oil
- extra special can of tuna, 6 Tbsp mayo. 2 tsp horseradish - half in 4 large celery stalks, the other half on a bed of mixed greens
- 7 oz x. lean beef patty cooked in olive oil, 2 cups broccoli dribbled w. toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 bag pork rinds
- samples of home-made beef jerky (had to test if it's done ;))
- nibbles of dried squid
- another Tbsp flax oil
- 2 black coffees
- 3 liters water

calories: 2315
Fat: 176g (70%)
Protein: 157g (28%)

cal. per lb = 13.0

Activity: housework, 30 min. yoga stretching .. in a bit of a flare today :(

Thoughts: After yesterday's Stillman day, I had no appetite this morning. I made myself eat the tuna salad ... I couldn't bring myself to fire up the stove and cook eggs. Yesterday's silken tofu & egg white custard was very good actually ... better than last week's which I made with the dry cottage cheese. Nicer texture.

Looking forward to the weekend, and regular lowcarb days :) .. I have some goat cheddar I'm dying to have in an omelet.

Doreen

doreen T
Fri, Aug-31-01, 21:36
Friday, 31 August

Today's program: Regular Low-Carb

Menu

- 3 Tbsp flaxmeal porridge, tsp butter, cinnamon
- 2 oz. home-made SF beef jerky
- 2 large smoked pork/turkey sausages (1.3 carbs each), 1 cup steamed spinach, tsp butter, squeeze of lemon
- 1/2 oz dried squid
- 3 black coffees
- 2.5 liters water

calories: 1426
Fat: 111g (71%)
Carbs: 24g (3%) / Fiber: 12g
Protein: 89g (25%)

Activity: walked downtown ~ 1 hr, totally bagged after ... the unsettled weather causing fibro. to flare :(

Thoughts: Absolutely no appetite after the Calorie Boost yesterday ... I still felt "full" when I got up this morning. Had to force breakfast. I really don't like feeling so uncomfortably stuffed. My body likes the higher fat intake though -- When this project is over, I think I may continue a pattern of alternating fast days ... but follow each with a regular lowcarb day, not forcing such high calories. I like the dairy -free though; that may also prove beneficial to me in the long run to limit my cheese and dairy intake, even if I choose goat or sheep products rather than cow.

Doreen

Karen
Fri, Aug-31-01, 22:34
I know what you mean. It's 9:30 here and I need to pound back 300 more cals and 6 more gr of green veg. I can probably do a bag of pork rinds and another stick of celery around 11:00. But now, I feel full.

I'm beginning to see a picture here. Fat dense foods and greens. The greens need some more research. Olive oil and arugula soup? :eek:

Oh goody! An almost dairy free convert! ;)

Karen

doreen T
Fri, Aug-31-01, 22:39
Originally posted by Karen
I Oh goody! An almost dairy free convert! Not quite. I still need my goat cheese. I'm so baaaa-aaa-aad!

;)

Do

doreen T
Sat, Sep-01-01, 21:05
Saturday, 1 September

Today's program: Regular Low-carb

Menu

- 1 Tbsp flax oil
- "soufflette" : 2 eggs + 1 egg white, 1 pkg lite silken tofu, 3 Tbsp mayo, 2 oz unripened chèvrette (goat cheese), capers, fresh dill ... puréed, then fold in 4 oz real crabmeat and 1 cup cooked spinach finely chopped .. baked 375° for 40 min. Good hot, just as good cold. Had half for brekkie, half for afternoon "snack"
- chicken breast, stir-fried w. broccoli, red pepper, scallion, garlic, ginger, chilis, canola & toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup diet Jello
- 3 black coffees
- pot of green tea, 3 liters water

calories: 1692
Fat: 129g (70%)
Carbs: 28g (5%) / Fiber: 9g
Protein: 108g (25%)

cal. per lb = 9.7

Activity: vacuumed; walked ~ 1/2 hr

Thoughts: Well, no great epiphany here. Just my observations, as I look to starting Week 3 tomorrow :cool:

1. I'm eating more calories overall. Going back through Fitday and my own journal in the Bootcamp forum, I'm eating 1600 to 1800 calories a day on the regular lowcarb days alone. Before, it was 1300 to 1400 per day, sometimes under 1200 though. Mostly by eating more fats and oils especially, and I've bumped up the protein to at least 90 - 100g per day (was ~ 70)

2. My body is happy with a higher fat intake, closer to 70% of total calories or at least over 125g per day.

3. Although I haven't been recording here, I have been following my daily weights. I gained both weeks with the calorie boost days. Then I'd lose it again gradually over the 3 regular lowcarb days and the Fat Fast. No loss after the lean protein day, just stayed the same.

4. The lean protein days go beyond blunting the appetite .. I felt nauseous, and had to force the food into an unhappy stomach. Especially immediately following a Calorie Boost day. Haven't decided yet if it's due to the unpalatability of dry meats or if it's due to the appetite-suppressing effect of the protein. Whichever ... the calorie boost day following is absolute torture. ... I crawled out of bed feeling like I used to after a highCARB Thanksgiving dinner, already full but knowing that I somehow had to stuff in 2300 calories. Get the spoon and start slugging back the oil! Oh well, only have to endure it 2 more times.

Doreen

doreen T
Sun, Sep-02-01, 20:21
Sunday, 2 September

Today's program: Regular Low-carb

Menu

- 1 Tbsp flax oil
- 1 egg + 1/4 pkg lite silken tofu, 1 Tbsp melted butter, liquid SugarTwin, vanilla, nutmeg - baked as custard
- 1 oz home-made beef jerky
- 1 cup diet Jello
- whey protein shake w. Tbsp lecithin granules
- 8 oz chicken stir-fried w. broccoli, red pepper, garlic, ginger, cilantro, canola & toasted sesame oil (ya, I had it last night too -- the veggies were almost past their prime, and since tomorrow is Fat Fast day, figgered I'd best eat 'em up today)
- another Tbsp flax oil
- 3 black coffees
- pot ginseng tea, 2 liters water

calories: 1622
Fat: 122g (68%)
Carbs: 24g (4%) / Fiber: 9g
Protein: 115g (28%)

cal. per lb = 9.3

Weight: 174.5

Activity: hiked 3 km .. cut short, I twisted my ankle :mad:

Thoughts: I rambled on and on in my Bootcamp journal ... my measurements are there too. Finally seem to have broken the 8-month stall -- hope it's a trend, but I realize that my weight yo-yo's a few lbs normally ... we'll see by next weekend how it goes.

Doreen

r.mines
Sun, Sep-02-01, 22:52
Doreen, you've lost over 5 pounds!!!:D That's terrific! Here's crossing my fingers and holding my breath - hope it's a trend. Way to go!

Sorry about the ankle, though.....

Rachel

doreen T
Mon, Sep-03-01, 23:15
Monday, 3 September

Menu

- 3 Tbsp flax oil (not all at once!)
- 2 h/b egg yolks (will have whites tomorrow)
- 1 cup home-made chicken broth
- 1 small Hass avocado
- 1 Tbsp mayo + 1 Tbsp olive oil
- large handful Italian parsley, chopped
- small green onion
- 1 oz unripened soft goat cheese
- 2 black coffees
- 2 pots of green tea, 4+ liters water

calories: 1011
Fat: 104g (92%)
Carbs: 10g (2%) / Fiber: 4g
Protein: 15g (6%)

Activity: ankle still sore .... so stayed home to do marathon housecleaning ... walls, ceilings, windows ... shop-vac'd the balcony (hundreds, and i mean hundreds of spiders and their webs. I sprayed yesterday, so they didn't really protest to the vacuum ;)). The joys of living next to a swampy river.

Thoughts: Made usual avocado soup with broth, 1/2 avocado and green onion, puréed, w. egg yolks crumbled on top -- it was pretty good. Wasn't hungry at all today, thirsty mostly ... drank clear tea and water. By 7 p.m., realized I'd better eat the rest of my day's quota ... made a salad with other 1/2 avocado, the goat cheese, mayo & olive oil drsg. I felt stuffed after eating only 1/2 of it, but forced in the rest. Felt overfull and uncomfortable for an hour after.

Calorie Boost should be fun tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Doreen

doreen T
Tue, Sep-04-01, 21:16
Tuesday, 4 September

Menu

- 1 Tbsp flax oil
- baked custard - 1/2 pkg lite silken tofu, 2 eggs, liquid SugarTwin, vanilla, nutmeg ... I'm getting to like this very much!
- grd sirloin patty, 2 c. mesclun greens, ranch drsg w. 1 Tbsp olive oil added
- other 1/2 pkg silken tofu made into dip w. 3 Tbsp mayonnaise, dill pickle juice, tsp grainy mustard
- 4 large stalks celery cut up, 2 oz bag pork rinds
- 5 oz mahi mahi fillet, sautéed in canola oil w. lemon wedge, 2 c. broccoli w. flax oil & lemon pepper
- 3 cups black coffee
- pot tea, 2.5 liters water

calories: 2245
Fat: 181g (73%)
Carbs: 26g (3%) / Fiber: 9g
Protein: 135g (24%)

cal. per lb = 12.92 (close enough!)

Activity: lifting and lugging boxes of junk & memorabilia, walked to library ~1 hr.

Thoughts: I set my alarm to get up an hour early today. Why??? So that I could start EATING earlier, so that I wouldn't be stuck late at night having to eat more food close to bedtime. Well, it worked, ate the rest of the pork rinds and tofu dip at 9 p.m. I'm still finding that I feel stuffed, uncomfortably full and unwell. Even with using fats for over 70% of the calories. Part of me is thinking though, I bet I could rack up the calories fast if I was having cheese or dairy fats.

Stillman/Lean Protein day tomorrow. I bought some Break-free egg substitute, so I can create an omelet of some kind. I was thinking maybe a taco omelet, using seasoned extra-lean grd beef. And I'll have mahi mahi for lunch. Yum, what a delicious fish ... and here I thought it was high-fat like salmon. Well, the pkg states there's only 0.9g fat in a whole 140g fillet!! :D

Doreen

Karen
Tue, Sep-04-01, 21:24
Here comes the Queen of Nag again who is not sure if this is a naggable point, but I'll say it anyway...

Tofu has carbs! I know there is 1 gram per 100 grams too. ;)

Karen

doreen T
Tue, Sep-04-01, 21:33
The lite silken tofu has lower carbs and fat than regular block tofu that floats in a tub of water. The whole 369g pkg has just over 2 carbs. And 22g protein, and 2g fat. The tofu and my coffee come to under the allowed 5 carb leeway.

So there. Pffflllttt!

;)

Okay, just kidding ... BUT .. did you know that dried squid has 3 carbs per oz?? I wondered, it tastes kinda sweet, and in the back of my mind, squid was one of those carby seafoods I remembered. Sure enough, Fitday, Netzer and USDA ... 3g per 4 oz raw, 3g per 1 oz dried. :(

Do

Karen
Tue, Sep-04-01, 22:39
I knew it had carbs, but I didn't know there was a listing anywhere for dried squid.

I served it before dinner last night, along with pork rinds. Some people will eat anything.

Bought a package of rather flexible tofu skin tonight and the counts check out. 5 grams per 100 grams, and thats a lot of skin! It may be good cooked in a Chinese style chicken soup, cut into thin strips like noodles.

Also bought dried cabbage - only cabbage and salt - and preserved Chinese cabbage - same ingredients as above. Looking forward to CALORIE BOOST tomorrow! ;)

Karen

doreen T
Wed, Sep-05-01, 22:11
Wednesday, 5 September

Today's program: Lean Protein/Stillman

Menu

- 1 pkg diet Jello made w. water and 1 c. dry curd cottage cheese
- taco omelet, recipe is posted in Stillman (lean protein) recipes thread (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15937)
- 5 oz. mahi mahi fillet, broiled w. lemon juice, grd fennel seed (yumm!)
- 6 oz bnless, bnlss, sklss chicken breast "poached" in 2 Tbsp broth
- 2 oz home-made beef jerky
- 2 mugs coffee, 1 cup decaf.
- pot green tea, 3 liters water

calories: 1004
Fat: 22g (21%)
Carbs: 9g (3%) / Fiber: 1g
Protein: 182g (76%)

Activity: hike 5 km :cool: ... perfectly beautiful day.

Thoughts: rambled away about Body Image in my Bootcamp journal. Today went ok. Not looking forward to Calorie Boost tomorrow.

Doreen

doreen T
Thu, Sep-06-01, 22:01
Thursday, 6 September

Menu

- 1 Tbsp flax oil
- frittata - 8 Tbsp egg subst. + 1 whole egg, 4 slices salt-red. SF bacon, 1.5 c. broccoli, 1 green onion, cooked in 1 Tbsp ghee
- 8 oz salmon steak, topped w. 2 Tbsp herbed mayo, broiled, 1 c. mesclun greens salad, 1 Tbsp olive oil & dijon drsg
- 12 oz beef "stew" w. 2 Tbsp olive oil, 1.5 c. chopped cabbage, 1/2 sm green pepper .. garlic, bay leaf, pepper, (tasted ok, but really, really needed onions :()
- another Tbsp flax oil
- 2 black coffees
- 2 liters water, pot mint tea at the moment to settle my upset stomach :mad:

calories: 2281
Fat: 169g (68%)
Carbs: 24g (3%) / Fiber: 7g
Protein: 163g (29%)

cal. per lb = 13.1

Activity: walked downtown, then had to hurry home because it was time to eat again :rolleyes:

Thoughts: not suitable for family entertainment. Once again ... got up early to get the eating underway ... took ages to eat .. each bite was forced into an already full, bloated stomach.

Bit, I don't give up; I will see this through. In fact, I plan to continue on afterward .. modified of course. No torture aka Calorie Boost, and might do the Stillman day first, with the Fat fast day coming later in the week. It seems to have a positive effect on my system. And,

Looking forward to regular lowcarb tomorrow. Mostly because I won't have to eat so much.

Doreen

doreen T
Sat, Sep-08-01, 09:58
Friday, 7 September

Today's program: Regular LowCarb

Menu

- 2 Tbsp flax oil
- Mock Danish (w. goat cr. cheese), 0 carb SF syrup --- way too sweet :exclm:
- 3.5 oz can tuna (oil-pack), 2 hb egg whites, mayo, dill pickle ... puréed as dip for celery sticks, red & green pepper strips
- 1 oz pork rinds
- pan-fried pork loin chop w. herbs, 1 c. sliced zucchini sautéed w. pork
- 3 coffees, w. cream ... man, did it taste GOOD
- 2 liters water, 1 L Apollinaris (water)

calories: 1779
Fat: 139g (71%)
Carbs: 24g (4%) / Fiber: 5g
Protein: 109g (25%)

cal. per lb = 10.2

Activity: hike, 4 km

Thoughts: It's turned really hot and humid again. Uggh. I'll take advantage though, and head out for another hike .. it's kinda nice this time of year .. no mosquitoes or blackflies. Lotsa snakes instead. As well, it's supposed to be thunderstorms etc tomorrow, so take advantage today.

I had cream in my coffee and it tasted so good. While I certainly will keep the appropriate days of the Study dairy-free ... I'm afraid I must indulge this one taste. I'm careful to measure exactly 1½ tsp per mugful, so I don't go overboard.

doreen T
Sun, Sep-09-01, 11:32
Saturday, 8 September

Today's program: Regular LC

Menu

- 2 Tbsp flax oil
- 2 big fat fresh SF bratwurst .. casings removed, meat cooked & crumbled (grease drained away), 2 c. kale, braised in butter & chicken broth, topped w. crumbled sausage & tsp crushed caraway ... Mmmmm....
- 1 oz pork rinds
- 4 oz each shrimp & scallops, sautéed in butter & garlic, squeeze of lemon jce, mixed green salad, cucumber, 1/2 small tomato, olive oil & dijon drsg
- 3 coffees w. cream
- 2 liters water, bottle mineral water w. lemon wedge

calories: 1733
Fat: 135g (71%)
Carbs: 28g (5%) / Fiber: 4g
Protein: 101g (24%)

cal per lb = 9.9

Activity: took air-conditioner out of window and put away (despite the mini "heat wave" we're having at the moment) ... washed and put window back together ... What a job! To put the a/c back in its spot in the storage closet ... I had to move my old relic rowing machine out of the way. I looked at that thing, then decided, hey .. I've got it, might as well use it. So, it's now taking up space in my living room .. :)

Thoughts: Well, I gained weight back over the Calorie Boost and high protein Stillman days this week, back up to 178.. :mad: .. It's not TOM nor am I constipated ... in fact the opposite. I'm beginning to think like Rachel, that there's a limit to how much fat & protein my digestive tract and system can handle in a day .... In striving to reach a calorie level of 13 times my weight ... to consume 70% of that as fat ... is overwhelming. And more than 150g protein in a day is also stressful. On the other hand, I'm finding that I feel well and may ultimately have the most weight loss success beyond this Study, by keeping my intake at 10 x my weight CONSISTENTLY ... and ensuring that 65 to 70% of that is from fats, especially oily fruits (avocados, olives), raw nuts and seeds ... and their unrefined oils.

Hopefully, the lbs gained are temporary .... certainly my abdomen is more bloated .. but I'm not experiencing swollen ankles as I did previously when I retained fluid.

Doreen

doreen T
Mon, Sep-10-01, 03:18
Sunday, 9 September

Today's program: Regular LC

Menu

- 1 Tbsp flax oil
- fritatta - 2 eggs + 2 whites, 2 oz chèvrette, 100g spinach, 1 c. sliced mushrooms, 1 green onion, cooked in 1 Tbsp ghee
- 2 oz home-made beef jerky
- 4 oz chicken breast stir-fry w. 150g eggplant strips, 1/2 red bell pepper, 1 green onion, garlic, ginger, chilis, canola & toasted sesame oil
- 3 coffees w. cream
- 2.5 liters water, bottle mineral water

calories: 1487
Fat: 111g (68%)
Carbs: 32g (6%) / Fiber: 11g
Protein: 95g (26%)

cal per lb = 8.9

Activity: rower - 15 minutes + 10 minutes upper body work w. increased tension

Thoughts: Weight shot up to 181 .. :( .. abdomen is very unhappy. So am I. It's hard not to be discouraged.

Doreen

jomil
Mon, Sep-10-01, 08:11
Doreen, sorry to read about your discouragement of your weight rebounding to 181.

Have you considered the possibility that the high calorie requirements of Calorie Boost days are helping create your problem?

Nowhere that I can find, do the books tell you to overeat your comfort level.

But as this is a Group Study, I guess we should follow the requirements of v.1.4.

Hope you find a solution soon in order to pick up your spirits.

Regards
Joe

r.mines
Mon, Sep-10-01, 08:41
If you abdomen is feeling bloated and unhappy, it's probably water weight you're retaining? I hope so, anyway. You can't possibly have gained five pounds of fat in a couple of days, especially given what you're (not) eating.

May the Whoosh Fairy fly in your general direction!

Hugs,
Rachel

doreen T
Mon, Sep-10-01, 15:37
The Calorie Boost

I've thought a lot about this today. I agree with the concept of keeping the caloric/energy value high to offset the reduced intake of the Fast days. I've looked at my menus over the last couple weeks .. and I see that a lot of the problem I'm having with feeling overstuffed and overfull ... is because I'm choosing the wrong foods. Yes, fats and oils will make up a good portion of the day's calorie intake .. but I see that I've been choosing very lean proteins .. egg whites, chicken breast, lean fish, seafood. Very low carb veggies .. spinach and salads .... these foods are great ... but ya have to eat a LOT of them to get the necessary calories. That's the problem ... it's not the higher calories, it's the VOLUME of food. If we choose high-calorie foods, we won't have to eat as much! .. :D .. A well-marbled steak has more calories than a large chicken breast ... Steamed green beans dribbled with clarified butter or olive oil have more calories than a big bulky salad. It can be done, just takes more planning.

I think the current bloat/fluid retention is that my Irritable Bowel is flared up. The large volume of bulky low-calorie, low-carb foods was an aggravating factor. By choosing denser, higher calorie foods, I won't have to eat such a huge amount ... and will give my poor tum a rest!! Some acidophilus and digestive enzymes might help too ... (and some Immodium :rolleyes: )

Doreen

jomil
Mon, Sep-10-01, 16:16
Doreen, I see that you have thought out the situation very thoroughly.

Will you continue to prove out your theory by continuing the Group Programme after the 4 weeks?

I am seriously considering to do it until I can establish exactly what makes my body "tick".

I am following Karen's advise and checking out all the Internet information on "basal metabolic rates". So far I have done three different assessments and the majority specify that with my weight, age, and lack of activity, that I am using between 900 to 1650 calories a day.

This works out to between 5 and 9 calories per pound of weight. Therefore 13 calories seems a might too much for my body.

But I have not finished my study on this. Every source has a slightly different formula to arrive at the results.

Meanwhile I wish you the best of luck in achieving your goal. I will be watching your postings with great anticipation.

Regards
Joe

r.mines
Mon, Sep-10-01, 22:17
Originally posted by doreen T
A well-marbled steak has more calories than a large chicken breast ... Steamed green beans dribbled with clarified butter or olive oil have more calories than a big bulky salad.

I think the current bloat/fluid retention is that my Irritable Bowel is flared up. The large volume of bulky low-calorie, low-carb foods was an aggravating factor.

Get thee to the supermarket! Thick juicy steaks .... pork ribs .... chicken with crispy skin .... lamb chops .... macs by the fistful .... :yum: .... I've been on Stillman too long! :rolleyes:

Seriously, Doreen, I'm not happy that your IB is acting up, but I AM happy that you've figured out that's what it is and how to deal with it. Hope that fluid retention's gone soon so we can see the new svelte you!

Rachel

doreen T
Tue, Sep-11-01, 14:51
Well, the weight has come back down to 177 today, ankles a bit puffy, so definitely a fluid retention problem. My tummy is happier too after the Fat Fast yesterday .. I'll get around to posting the menu sooner or later. At the moment I'm afraid I haven't been keeping up with the requirements of the Calorie Boost. My appetite is turned right off, what with the horrors unfolding in the US today. I'm managed some eggs, added an extra yolk ... and sipped some flax oil .. so I might consider today as another Fat fast day .. and proceed tomorrow with the Calorie Boost .. and so on with the final week of the program.

That's my plan. My heart isn't really in it today.

Doreen

doreen T
Wed, Sep-12-01, 07:49
Monday, 10 September

Menu

- 2 Tbsp flax oil
- 3 Tbsp Snøfrisk (goat cream cheese) w. 2 egg yolks, 1 Tbsp melted ghee, vanilla, nutmeg, dot liquid SugarTwin .. baked in toaster oven ... nice and golden and "crusty"
- 3/4 c. shredded spinach, 1/4 c. chopped parsley, 1 green onion, 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 c. home-made chicken broth .. puréed
- 2 mugs black coffee
- pot green tea, 4 liters water.

calories: 1002
Fat: 104g (93%)
Carbs: 8g (2%) / Fiber: 2g
Protein: 13g (5%)

Activity: rower 15 min + 10 min upper body w. incr. tension

Thoughts: Tues. 11 September 2001 ... shall remain a black hole in this Group project. I ate very little, drank 6 coffees w. cream, and I lost count of the clear tea. Lots of water too. No appetite ... I cooked up a simple grd. beef patty, but could barely eat half. The rest I threw out. I'll carry on today with the Calorie Boost ... so that my days in the cycle will be set back by one day.

Doreen

Weight is 176 today.

doreen T
Fri, Sep-14-01, 05:59
Wednesday, 12 September

Menu

- 2 Tbsp flax oil
- 2 eggs, 6 slices crisp bacon
- Broccoli Dip (recipe posted in HighCarb Green Veg. thread), bag of pork rinds (I used 175g broccoli)
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken from deli, 150g steamed green beans, 1/2 Tbsp ghee
- 2 black coffees
- 2 L water, 1 L mineral water

calories: 2237
Fat: 181g (74%)
Protein: 130g (24%)

cal per lb = 12.8 (close enough ;))

Activity: yapped on the phone all day, thankful for cheap long-distance rates! Walked dowtown ~ 1 hr.

doreen T
Fri, Sep-14-01, 06:22
Thursday, 13 September

Today's program: Stillman/Lean Protein

Menu

- 11 oz. lean grd turkey, cooked and chili-seasoned ... used half in a "taco omelet", other half on salad greens later in day
- 8 Tbsp BreakFree egg substitute + 2 egg whites
- 140g mahi mahi fillet w. grainy dijon .. broiled
- 6 oz. chicken breast
- diet Jello
- 1 cup mesclun greens
- 2 black coffees
- 2.5 L water, 1.5 L mineral water

calories: 894
Fat: 29g (31%)
Carbs: 5g (2%) / Fiber: 1g
Protein: 143g (67%)

cal per lb = 5.1

Activity: rower 15 minutes, 10 minutes upper body/arms;

Thoughts: had massage therapy ... every Fibro. tender point is active. Ouch. Stress this week is high, wonder why? :(

Weight is levelling off at 175 --- my IBS flare had settled, then I went and ate those salad greens Thursday ... and within 2 hrs ... bloat, gas, cramping .... I think I'd better lay off raw veggies for a few more days. Or take Beano ...

Doreen

IslandGirl
Fri, Sep-14-01, 17:38
and happy happy happy this study is going to end soon, though I also will be taking away elements of learning and (I hope!) continued progress.

Hang in there, dearest Doreen, we can only send our best and most positive thoughts around the world right now (and wear r/w/b ribbons or something).

:there:

doreen T
Sat, Sep-15-01, 10:54
Friday, 14 September

Menu

- 1 SF bratwurst, cooked and crumbled w. 1 egg + 1 white "quiche"
- bag of pork rinds w. Brussels Sprout Dip (used 150g sprouts)
- 12 oz eye of round, marinated in olive oil, garlic, red wine vinegar, salt & pepper; 1 cup green beans w. 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 2 black coffees
- pot tea, 2 liters water

calories: 2439
Fat: 202g (76%)
Carbs: 26g (3%) / Fiber: 9g
Protein: 130g (22%)

cal per lb = 14 :eek:

Activity: walked ~ 1 hr

Thoughts: weight today seems to want to dip back below the 175 mark again -- I'll wait till the end (Monday a.m.) to officially measure and record. I may also choose to discount my recorded starting weight .. 180 ... since that was an overnight spike of 2 lbs (I had been averaging 178 for weeks) ...So, for the sake of accuracy .. it would be better to keep 178 as my start weight. Tentatively, it seems I've lost 3+ lbs overall, during the 4 weeks of the study. For me that translates to success .. but I need to sit back, compile (and digest!!) the data .. and sort out what things were helpful ... what were not. Hopefully I'll come up with a plan for the future ... using the insights I've gained from participating in this group project.

Doreen

Sharon
Sat, Sep-15-01, 12:03
You've put a lot of work and thought into the last few weeks of eating. You've got great dedication....

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Three pounds is great....I'll take that!!!

doreen T
Mon, Sep-17-01, 01:23
Saturday, 15 September

Menu

- 2 Tbsp flax oil
- bacon, goat cheese, spinach, green onion, red bell pepper quiche (2 eggs + 8 Tbsp BreakFree egg subst) .... ate half at brekkie, other half cold for lunch
- 3 chicken thighs, topped w. mayo & herbs .. baked, skin eaten
- 1 cup brussels sprouts, butter, fresh lemon juice
- 3 coffees, 1 tsp 18% cream in each
- 1.5 L water, 1 L mineral water

Total: 1709
Fat: 126g (68%)
Carbs: 23g (4%) / Fiber: 6g = 17g ECC
Protein: 117g (28%)

cal per lb = 9.82

Activity: hike 4.5 km

Thoughts: almost over yayyyy!!

Doreen

doreen T
Mon, Sep-17-01, 02:01
Sunday, 16 September ... final day

Menu

- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds as porridge, 1 tsp butter, 1 Tbsp SF Irish cream syrup .. not bad at all
- 3 chicken thighs, cold ... small mesclun greens salad w. olive oil & dijon
- 4 oz. fresh cheese curds
- 1/2 salmon quiche, w. zucchini, red pepper, green onion and herbs ... no cheese ... canned sockeye, 2 eggs .. will have other half tomorrow.
- 3 coffees w. 1 tsp cream in each
- 3 L water

Total: 1750 calories
Fat: 131g (68%)
Carbs: 27g (3%) / Fiber: 12g = 15g ECC
Protein: 124g 497 (29%)

cal per lb = 10

Activity: hike 2.5 km, new area .. I plan to go back tomorrow w. camera :)

Thoughts: The actual Study is complete for me. However, I will now go back over the 4 weeks, and work out the raw data etc .. and my thoughts on what I have gleaned from this.

wt. this morning = 174, will measure in a.m.

Doreen

jomil
Mon, Sep-17-01, 06:40
Congratulations Doreen on surviving the Group Experiment.

I am looking forward to reading your analysis after you have absorbed the raw data in your posts.

Some points you may want to consider;

1. Which low calorie "Fast" days do you consider healthier to continue on an ongoing basis. Fat Fast or Stillman's? And why?

2. Which is more important; Certain percentage ratios of Protein, Fat, and Carbs, or just Low Carbs? If the former, which percentage ratios should we try to achieve?

3. Can we relate the calories per pound of body weight more closely to our activity level? If so, how? I have tried to analyse the methods of arriving at BMR and AMR from Internet calaulators and have found them all over the "map". The original BMR calculation is based on a design created nearly a hundred years ago and I feel is out of date to the current life style.

4. What weight loss rate per week or month should we consider to be healthiest based on age, height, and starting weight?

Something to mull over, Doreen.

Regards
Joe

P.S. Anyways congratulations on you successfully breaking the "plateau"!

doreen T
Mon, Sep-17-01, 14:08
Today's weight: 173.5 .... 4½ lbs net loss over the 4 weeks of the study. I'm still digesting this happiness ... this is my lowest weight since 1996. I'm so afraid it will go away, and tomorrow, I'll jet right back up to 180 and stay there till Christmas.

Measurements: differences are from the beginning of this study.

- bust 40" ... (-1")
- ribcage 33.25" ... (n/c)
- waist 32" ... (-0.75")
- hip 6" below waist 42" ... (- 0.5")
- hip 9" below waist 44" ... (-0.75")
- thigh Rt 25.5" .. (-0.5") / Lt 25.5" (n/c)
- knee Rt 18.75" .. (-0.25") / Lt 18.75" .. (n/c)
- ankle Rt 9.5" .. (-0.25") / Lt 9.5" .. (-0.25")
- upper arm Rt 13.75" .. (-0.25") / Lt 13.5" .. (-0.5")
- neck 13.5" (n/c)

Inches lost during this 4 week Study: 4.5

Thoughts: I'll take some time to muse over what this study has done for me. Insights, revelations, concerns ... given my own personal health and nutrition needs, etc. And how I'll use what I've learned as tools for the rest of my lowcarbing life :)

I'll try to offer suggestions to others Joe, as we all work over the next week to sort out our individual experiences.

Doreen

tamarian
Mon, Sep-17-01, 14:13
Well done Doreen and congrats.

I think we've all learned a lot from this experiment, and I think we will learn from it, and possibly future experimentation!

Wa'il

tofi
Tue, Sep-18-01, 18:26
congratulations doreen - the loss is great news. May they NEVER come back. It has been very interesting to follow your plan and success.

BarB

Natrushka
Tue, Sep-18-01, 20:13
WTG Do!

It couldn't have happened to a nicer and more helpful person. I'm so happy for you!

Nat

Sharon
Tue, Sep-18-01, 20:21
I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts about the study.

I agree with all the others....you certainly work hard at everything you do and deserve all the success that comes your way.

:yay:

doreen T
Tue, Sep-25-01, 13:31
start weight - 178 lbs, end weight - 173.5

Daily Average - for the full 4 weeks

(note - actual daily counts used, divided by 28 days)

calories: 1673
fat: 126g (66.5%)
protein: 114.6g
carbs: 21.6g / fiber: 6.8g/ ECC: 14.8g
cal per lb = 9.56

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fat Fast Average

calories: 1014
fat: 103.5g (91.5%)
protein: 15g
carbs: 11.5g / fiber: 4.3g / ECC: 7.2g
cal per lb = 5.79

Stillman/Lean Protein Average

calories: 915
fat: 20.5g (21%)
protein: 165g
carbs: 6.8g / fiber: 0.5g / ECC: 6.3g
cal per lb = 5.22

Calorie-Boost Average

calories: 2352
fat: 182.6g (70.8%)
protein: 155.1g
carbs: 25.2g / fiber: 8.6g / ECC: 16.6g
cal per lb = 13.44

Combined Fat Fast, Stillman & Calorie Boost Average

(note - actual count for each day used, divided by 16 days)

calories: 1658
fat: 122.3g (63.5%)
protein: 122.6g
carbs: 17.3g / fiber: 5.5g / ECC: 11.8g
cal per lb = 9.47

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Regular Low-Carb Average

(note - actual count for each day used, divided by 12 days)

calories: 1691
fat: 131.5g (70.5%)
protein: 104.1g
carbs: 27.5g / fiber: 8.4g / ECC: 19.1g
cal per lb = 9.66

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

COMPARISONS

Calories

overall average - 1673
combined fast/cal. boost days - 1658 :thdown:
reg. low-carb days - 1691 :thup:

Fat g (%)

overall average - 126g (66.5%)
combined fast/cal. boost days - 122.3 (63.5%) :thdown:
reg. low-carb days - 131.5g (70.5%) :thup:

Protein

overall average - 114.6g
combined fast/cal. boost days - 122.6g :thup:
reg. low-carb days - 104.1g :thdown:

Carbs / Fiber / ECC

overall average - 21.6g / 6.8g / 14.8g
combined fast/cal. boost days - 17.3g / 5.5g / 11.8g :thdown:
reg. low-carb days - 27.5g / 8.4g / 19.1g :thup:

Calories per Lb

overall average - 9.56
combined fast/cal. boost days - 9.47 :thdown:
reg. low-carb days - 9.66 :thup:

Analysis to follow. Will then post in "Observations and Speculations" thread, in this Study subforum for comments. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20338

Doreen

IslandGirl
Thu, Sep-27-01, 12:58
and provides a stimulus to be working on my stats further...

Thanks.

PS: Why not post these delightful stats right in the Observations... thread? It's where I would have expected them...

doreen T
Thu, Sep-27-01, 13:50
Originally posted by IslandGirl
PS: Why not post these delightful stats right in the Observations... thread? It's where I would have expected them...
Um, because they're not digested yet. It's kinda the raw data .. and I'm looking at them comparitively to my weight over the weeks, and activity levels too. Remember I had that big spike in there and other things. Plus other variables, such as the first week or two I was eating veggies that were not green on the Cal boost days (and yet that's when I lost the most weight :p) .... I think there's going to be a special place for us to post our Conclusions. I just wanted to have this particular piece of the puzzle handy ... and ya, well ... maybe as a guide/hint for others to follow ;)

Doreen

IslandGirl
Fri, Sep-28-01, 16:45
:hyper:

Raw Data ... Speculation ... Observation ... empirical stuff, all.

Final conclusions aren't what we're talking about, eh? Go on, join us in the thread, we're nothing without you!! :dazzle: