PDA

View Full Version : Smoking curbs debate in Scotland - what do you think about it??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Demi
Tue, Nov-09-04, 16:34
Come and join the debate - Should smoking in public places be banned in Scotland?

Smoking curbs debate in Scotland

BBC News Online - 9 November , 2004

The Scottish Executive is about to consider whether or not a ban on smoking in public places should be introduced in Scotland.

The discussion will take place at Wednesday's cabinet meeting and if a decision is reached, it will be announced later that day.

It follows the highest number of respondents to a public consultation exercise in Scotland.

A total of 53,948 people took part, underlining the depth of feeling on both sides of the debate.

Read more about it here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3978147.stm

When I first gave up smoking, I felt that as an ex-smoker I didn't really have the right to tell other people not to smoke if they wanted to. I am about to celebrate two years smoke free and my views on this have most definitely changed - I hate smoking so much now (especially the smell) that I would welcome a total ban in public places.

I object that, when I've been for an evening out, my hair and clothes smell like an over-stuffed ashtray. I object that I have to inhale other people's smoke. I object that I have to put up with somebody else's disgusting habit. And I most certainly object to the fact that now I'm a non-smoker and have lengthened the odds against dying from lung cancer, a heart attack etc., that I might still be susceptible to such diseases through passive smoking.

As a smoker, non-smoker or ex-smoker, how do you feel about it ???

nikkil
Fri, Nov-12-04, 09:18
Not sure about the laws there but it's been illegal to smoke indoors (except for private homes) for years here in Canada. Most people, even smokers, don't smoke in their homes/cars, etc. either. So, everybody's doing it outside. So that leads me to...

As a smoker, I'm wondering where the heck we're supposed to smoke?? Yes, everybody knows it's bad for you and a disgusting and expensive habit, but if a person still chooses to smoke where will they go? I am VERY, VERY conscious of not smoking close to people who are not smoking, keeping as much distance as possible and I make sure that I never blow my smoke towards anybody, etc. I never, ever smoke around children or in front of them (as much as humanly possible) and I also put out my cigarette and put the butt/filter back in my pack or pocket rather than throwing it on the ground, if there's no garbage handy. I also don't throw them out the car window or empty my ashtray anywhere except in a garbage can :)

I know where you're coming from, I agree with what you're saying, but I'm also addicted ;)

LukeA
Thu, Nov-18-04, 14:41
Just found this thread...

First of all not all of canada is smoke free in public places. ;) However my city has been since this summer, and so far so good imo. As a non smoker (and a asthmatic), i am finally able to go out to restaurants and bars. Before i could not even go to places that have seperate closed off smoking rooms because a lot of ciggarette smoke still gets into the non smoking sections even with special ventilation. Of my family and freinds that do smoke, they are actually for this legislation also, as even they know how harmful secondhand smoke is.

I am looking forward to this january when my whole province (saskatchewan), follows suit.