PDA

View Full Version : I feel like I'm losing it...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

PAcarber
Mon, Nov-08-04, 09:00
I'm in my 7th week and I cannot find any relief of feeling nauseated all day long. My posts don't seem to get much feedback so maybe I'm on the wrong type of support forum. I am trying to stay low carb but sometimes the only thing that I can stomach is a McD's cheeseburger. I recently purchased teas; ginger, peppermint & chamomile & lavendar (the last one seemed to help temporarily). Nothing I do is helping and I've read that the nausea comes on from going to long inbetween meals, or eating too much, to being dehydrated and so on...but I cannot feel any normal signals to know what my body need, I force food down...I just feel sick all the time.

I try to do what I need to do but will someone let me know...does this get better? Can you give me any suggestions to try for relief? Sometimes I wish I'd get physically sick, then maybe I could get past this ever constant feeling. I feel really lost and it's only been like this for a week, but nothing has made me feel better. :-(

rotorres1
Mon, Nov-08-04, 10:41
I know what you mean about this board. I am only five weeks, but I notice that this is not a very active discusion board. I know what you mean about the nausea. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I know that eating saltine crackers sometimes helped the morning sickness. Can you try eating some whole grain crackers? Im not sure, but I think triscuts are whole grain.
Also, try not to get to the point where you are hungry. Eat a little bit every few hours. Also, if you are able to do the mcdonalds cheeseburgers, why not just request it with no bun!
Good luck and I hope you are feeling better!
RO

rhall859
Mon, Nov-08-04, 10:48
Hey guys! Give everyone a chance, I think a lot of them work during the day, the board seems to reaL active in the evening. My newest daughter will be 8 mos on the 11th. My first two pregnancies I was rarely sick, just when I caught a really fowl smel! A lot when nephew was over! LOL Anyway, with this last one I had a really hard time finding anything to eat that didn't make me nauseas. I wasn't even doing low carb then. It seems like the only thing I was able to eat and not feel sick was vegetable soup?!? So that's what I ate! Don't know if this helps any, but thought I'd give my 2 cents! Good Luck!

Renee

Elsah
Mon, Nov-08-04, 11:03
My morning/noon/all day sickness didn't pass until a few months in. It's better to eat carbs then to eat nothing at all. (doesn't mean you have to go for pure junk though) It will pass but it's going to take time. You will just have to do your best with the things that you can tollerate. For me, yogurt smoothies really helped me through. Blend LC yogurt, frozen berries, cream cheese a few ice cubes and soymilk. Tastes like a milkshake. :) Other than that I lived off of hot teas, soups and low carb toast until I could eat again.

Jenn

Fireball
Mon, Nov-08-04, 11:42
PA - I'm sorry you're still so sick. I wish I could help you. Last week I ate more carbs. I bought whole grain english muffins and put cheese on them, I bought whole grain cereals and I even ate foods I really shouldn't - as I'm finding the cravings are much more difficult to fight while pg - if baby wants it - baby gets it. Have you tried some Crystal Light lemonade? There are remedies out there but what may work for me may not work for you or anybody else. You need to just experiment with what you can handle for now. Do you take Tums? You might want to ask your doctor if you can take Emetrol if your yucky belly is that bad. I wish I could help more! :bhug: Hang in there!!

bailey17
Mon, Nov-08-04, 21:21
Boy, do I remember those days where you get sick even thinking about food! If you finally get a break in the nausea when you think about cheeseburgers, by all means...eat one! I wish I had known to eat LC (without trying to lose weight) while I was pregnant, because I gained so much weight that after two years I'm still trying to lose it! However, right now, the main thing is that you are able to eat something and keep it down! Good luck to you!

byrdie16
Mon, Nov-08-04, 21:42
Hi PAcarber!
I lived on Cinnamon Altoids, juice, and little else with my first baby until month 7. I actually lost 5 pounds in that time then gained 30 in 2 months (not really what's supposed to happen :rolleyes: ). It does help to just get some ideas of what other people have found helpful. I even tried the motion sickness bands people use while traveling! Or eating a few bites during the night when you get up to use the bathroom...
I agree eating is more important than LCing, especially if you're not tolerating much food. There's some great soups you can try. Graham crackers have an anti-nausea value to them for some people... Hang in there! It is helps, with each pregnacy I had the nausea lessened greatly each time. Carol

dodg4kat
Mon, Nov-08-04, 23:06
Hi ,

I was horribly sick for the first 12 weeks of my preg. (son is almost 2) Nothing helped and I was sick three or four times a day, every day. It totally sucked. The one thing (and SOO not LC) that I could keep down on a regular basis was Mountain Dew, really cold and full sugar version. I tried to be LC but eating something and keeping it down was better than nothing. It does get better, hang in there. After I hit 12 weeks I was rarely sick again. I have heard that those motion sickness bands work wonders..a girlfriend who just hit 17 weeks swears by them.
Good luck!

Kagior
Mon, Nov-08-04, 23:59
Try taking your preg vitamins at different times too. When I was pregnant with my first, I used to get really nauseous every morning AFTER I took them. I found that for me, moving them to suppertime when I could stomach real food helped in a huge way.

Eat what you can stomach in those first weeks, but try to go low carb as much as you can. I wish I had known about low carb back then. With each of my pregnancies I always lost 15 pounds in the first four months, then gained back and more. I think it was cuz I cut all the crap, high carb foods out and ate healthier. Good luck to you, babies are worth every hard moment you will go through!

mgood
Tue, Nov-09-04, 00:48
I hope you feel better soon.
I would just eat what you can seem to tolerate and worry about weight loss when the baby is here. Maybe just be "carb aware" when making food choices.
You definately need to keep hydrated, that is the main thing. WATER, WATER AND MORE WATER. just keeping your body hydrated will make you feel better.
Most women that experience this say that it will eventually go away. if not totally, maybe it will only come at a certain time of the day. Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.:O)

PAcarber
Tue, Nov-09-04, 07:30
Ladies...thank you so very much to all of you that replied. :)

It really does help to read the feedback. I don't feel any different/better but I'm dealing the best I can. I am trying different things and doing my best to keep LC in mind. Well, except yesterday, we had a work meeting and we brought in lunch, subs and pizza (it seemed appetizing) so I had a little of each and for about 20 minutes thereafter I did not feel sick...but then got a headache from all the carbs...(I just can't win). That's not something I plan on doing everyday but I was amazed of the relief I felt.

I will keep you updated and let you know how things are going.

Thanks again!

Maamel
Wed, Nov-10-04, 06:31
Hi PA,

I think I posted in another thread of yours, but here goes again! You seem to have tried the peppermint and other teas, although they don't seem to have helped, but have you tried crackers and chewing gum and ginger seems to help me sometimes? Also I second the suggestion that if good (higher) carbs help then it's better than going without. I have two slices of wholemeal toast on some mornings or All Bran cereal with full fat milk and this keeps me full up for a long time. Unfortunately some women suffer queasiness all through but most of it should pass by the 12th week. That's what happened with my DD and I'm hoping it'll happen with this one as well.

Hope you feel better soon and good luck!

PAcarber
Wed, Nov-10-04, 08:32
I called my doc yesterday just to get some input. She regrettably(sp?) assured me that what I am experiencing is 'normal'...how lovely. :) She said that only if I was physically getting sick and starting to dehydrate that that's when they would take action. She said right now the babies organs are developing and the pregnancy hormones are raging, it's a very crucial time but as long as I'm able to eat, drink and get rest, that that is most important.

She asked if I was eating saltines and I said no, I have kavli crackers and I asked if the salt makes a difference, she said possibly, everyone is different. She also recommended fresh ginger stating that food form was better than supplements. I 'love' pickled ginger and had actually purchased some.

Yesterday I left work early...I just felt awlful. I got home by 2:30 ate the rest of my ginger and just crashed until 4:30, my husband went out and got me saltines. I also took some tums drank water and ate saltines. Then miraculously I was relieved...I don't know if it was the salt, or the sleep but whatever it was I fully appreciated feeling normal. My husband made us chinese with tofu and shrimp...it was awesome...I'm totally into spicy foods. I tended to needed chores and just felt myself, I was soooo thankful for those few hours.

This morning I'm home today....I just need a day to recoop. My stomach is not so hot today, I had my saltines, tums, water and some LC yogurt. The only thing I'm missing is the ginger. I plan to run out and hope to get more, hoping I've found a combination that will tame feeling nauseas.

Again....I really apprecaite everyone's feedback and plan on trying some of your suggestions. I can only hope that this posting will help some future moms-to-be as the changes we go through are quite challenging and extensive. Thank you.

bailey17
Thu, Nov-11-04, 09:42
Ditto on the vitamins. I always had to take them at night just before I went to bed, otherwise I was as sick as a dog!