PDA

View Full Version : Weight Training Question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

supergirll
Sun, Oct-31-04, 14:35
I am currently weight training at a fitness club. I go 3 days a week. I also do 3 days a week of cardio at home on days I'm not lifting. Currently I'm doing a full body workout on the 3 days. Is it better to focus on a muscle group a day than to do full body training? I have been working out since July and I'm seeing some results now. I want to continue to do so though. I still have a ways to go.

joe1500
Mon, Nov-01-04, 14:01
I think the answer depends on your goals, level of experience, age, etc.

I train my son three days per week on a full body workout. I keep the emphasis on multi joint movements but try and not promote heavy resistance as hitting each muscle three time per week could become stressful. I'm looking for him to build good technique and a strong foundation in his body. If he progresses well I would then have him challenge himself with heavier weights but that may mean cutting back to just two days in order to handle the increased resistance.

I like full body routines. They are efficient and you can cover a lot of ground with simple basic exercises. Currently however I'm on a 3 day per week program but am splitting the body into three parts. My goals are not super strength at the moment and I'm challenging myself with a quicker pace, higher reps, more sets. As a result doing a full body work out would be too much for me because it's taking 50 miniutes just to do 1/3. This period for me gives me a break on the joints because the poundage is lighter but the pace and volume is faster. In addtion I get in include new and fresh movements that I could not fit into a full body routine.

I would say at some point experiment. I think it's good to mix it up from time to time to avoid getting stale. However I don't think one is better than the other for general resistance training. If you're starting to see results now then maybe stick with what you're doing for now. My only advice would be to watch yourself hitting the same muscle groups three days per week if you're going to start focusing on larger and larger weights.

Joe

supergirll
Mon, Nov-01-04, 16:40
My strength is definitely increasing now. I'm lifting heavier weights in order to challenge myself. Maybe I'll stick to what I'm doing now for now and switch to not working the same muscles all three days, as I'm able to lift heavier weights.

joe1500
Mon, Nov-01-04, 20:23
My strength is definitely increasing now. I'm lifting heavier weights in order to challenge myself. Maybe I'll stick to what I'm doing now for now and switch to not working the same muscles all three days, as I'm able to lift heavier weights.

Yes. Given you started in July and you're experiencing strength gains I'd say stick with it. Some day it may become stale and if it does you can experiment with branching out. Good luck.

Joe