PDA

View Full Version : low carb drinks and pregnancy

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

rotorres1
Thu, Oct-28-04, 05:44
I just found out that I am preganant! YEAH! I have been LCing for a year and love it. I started to add more carbs(good ones of course) into my diet and am up to around 50 grams per day. I know I should be around 90-100, butI am trying to let my body is adjust slowly.
So, with no, caffine and no diet pop, what can I drink? I am getting a bit tired of water. Should I be limiting my splenda intake too? Are there any juices that are better than others? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
RO

Fireball
Thu, Oct-28-04, 08:36
:Party:CONGRATULATIONS!!! :Party:

I have been drinking Diet Rite - the grape - IMO - is much better than the cola. If I'm going to have cola I prefer to have diet, caffeine free Pepsi. When I was preg with DD my doc told me I could have 1-2 cups of a caffeinated beverage a day - coffee - soda, etc. So when you get to your doc ask them! I'm sticking mainly with decaf coffee and teas but like today I really needed something to get my butt in gear so I had regular coffee!! And I know as an LC no-no OJ is out of the question but I have added 1 glass per day back into my LC Preg Plan. As far as splenda goes - don't quote me as I believe baby brain has set in already :lol: but I thought I read that splenda is better for us as far as artificial sweeteners go because it's made from sugar...I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me!

Congrats! And have a happy & healthy 9 months!!!

Hilary M
Thu, Oct-28-04, 18:39
According to my doctor and all the pregnancy books I have read, Splenda is totally OK during pregnancy. So, I drink Diet Rite and Kool-Aid or iced tea that I make with Splenda. For breakfast try Diet V-8 Splash, which is a fruity drink made with Splenda. Hood Carb Countdown milk is pretty good, at least the chocolate flavor. My doctor said to "limit" caffeine and aspartame, so I have about three Diet Cokes or Diet Dr. Peppers a week and don't feel guilty about it.

Something else you might like to know: I just recently read in What To Expect When You're Expecting that sorbitol, the sugar alcohol that's in LC ice cream, is safe during pregnancy. I was so happy, because I'd been avoiding LC ice cream cause I wasn't sure if it was OK. I can't tell you how excited I am to be eating it again!

P.S. Especially if this is your first baby (it's mine), I highly recommend getting the books What To Expect When You're Expecting and The Girlfriend's Guide To Pregnancy. Congratulations!