PDA

View Full Version : Holy Grail of all diets?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Willam
Wed, Oct-20-04, 19:25
OK, I agree that the Don Gorske Diet may not be perfect but Atkins has it’s shortcomings as well. I’m now doing Atkins and have been stalled for three months!! :mad: Atkins generally is great but as we all know, in the stall department it really sucks. If nothing changes, I’ll be stalled forever.

It’s common knowledge that thinking outside the box leads to innovation and creativity. Dr. Atkins and Don Gorske were both doing that when they created their diets 30 years ago. Both concepts were extremely controversial when first introduced but today are revered by thousands worldwide.

With the Atkins and Gorske methodology in mind, I’m considering combining the Atkins and Gorske plans. Two meals a day on Atkins and one meal a day on Gorske seems reasonable. I’m not for a moment suggesting a drastic change to Atkins, just a slight tweaking with a tiny bit of Gorske added in. It would still be almost pure Atkins.

Combining different diets seems to work for others. Could this blend of two plans be the answer we’ve all been praying for? Might this out of the box concept lead us to the Holy Grail of all diets?

William

mcsblues
Wed, Oct-20-04, 19:50
So you have stalled for 3 months. So what? Do you feel great? Do you have much more energy than you did when you started low carbing?

Then why would you want to go back to eating junk food - even for "one meal a day" :lol:

Up your exercise program. Concentrate on healthy fats and protein. Watch your portion sizes And rejoice that you have found the way of life that has made you this fit and healthy.

Cheers,

Malcolm

Samasnier
Wed, Oct-20-04, 22:15
Stalls happen on all diets, it's not as though they're unique to Atkins.

potatofree
Wed, Oct-20-04, 22:20
Well, it might be the Holy grail you're looking for. I guess we all have to adapt our plan to suit our own bodies!

Nancy LC
Thu, Oct-21-04, 14:39
Yeah, stalls happen. People do all kinds of things to figure out how to make themselves start losing again. For me, it was nothing fancier than cutting calories.

CindySue48
Thu, Oct-21-04, 16:00
"OK, I agree that the Don Gorske Diet may not be perfect but Atkins has it’s shortcomings as well. I’m now doing Atkins and have been stalled for three months!!"

1. What is the Don Gorske Diet?
2. Stalls happen....no matter what the diet
3. You posted in August, 2 months ago that you'd broken your stall by refeeding.....is that inaccurate?

KoKo
Thu, Oct-21-04, 16:53
Oh William!!!!! I've missed you :bhug: :lol:

(Gorske - wouldn't be German for Ritz would it) - don slap me William :lol:

Lisa N
Thu, Oct-21-04, 17:05
1. What is the Don Gorske Diet?

Don Gorske is the guy that has eaten over 20,000 Big Macs and pretty much lives on a couple of Big Macs, a small fry and regular Coke (and not much else) every day.
http://www.wasteoftechnology.com/motw123.shtml
He says his total cholesterol (note: we know nothing of the breakdown) is below 160.
Let's see...transfats, acrylamides and sugar...Oh, my! ;)

Willam, if you really want to mix chowing down on Big Macs with Atkins, it's certainly your right to give it a try, but I doubt you'll find too many people that think it's a great idea. I'd also suggest that you get your cardiac profile done before you start this plan and then have it checked 3 months in. ;)

nikkil
Fri, Oct-22-04, 04:22
that video repeating his bites of the big mac is gross!

IMO, you're looking for an excuse to go off plan (LCing)...

I'm thinking this guy just has the "right" metabolism/genes to be able to handle this diet.

mio1996
Fri, Oct-22-04, 08:27
I know that personally I am so addicted to sugar that I will, at times, find any insane justification to eat it to excess. It shows, in my opinion, how addicted to junk you really are William, if you are thinking about mixing Atkins with big macs. I sympathize, of course, with the addiction. However, I don't think you'll find much support to try losing weight with big macs.

You are so close to goal, William. Why not just stay on a plan you know is healthy?

AFwife
Fri, Oct-22-04, 08:32
OK, I agree that the Don Gorske Diet may not be perfect but Atkins has it’s shortcomings as well. I’m now doing Atkins and have been stalled for three months!! :mad: Atkins generally is great but as we all know, in the stall department it really sucks. If nothing changes, I’ll be stalled forever.

It’s common knowledge that thinking outside the box leads to innovation and creativity. Dr. Atkins and Don Gorske were both doing that when they created their diets 30 years ago. Both concepts were extremely controversial when first introduced but today are revered by thousands worldwide.

With the Atkins and Gorske methodology in mind, I’m considering combining the Atkins and Gorske plans. Two meals a day on Atkins and one meal a day on Gorske seems reasonable. I’m not for a moment suggesting a drastic change to Atkins, just a slight tweaking with a tiny bit of Gorske added in. It would still be almost pure Atkins.

Combining different diets seems to work for others. Could this blend of two plans be the answer we’ve all been praying for? Might this out of the box concept lead us to the Holy Grail of all diets?

William

Perhaps you need to revise your menu. Maybe you are doing something to cause this stall, even though stalls are common in any weight loss plan.

It could be the simplest of things, you may not even realize you are doing it. Or you do know you are doing it but don't want to admit it or think it will get better on its own. :lol:

Try posting some menu's so we can help ya find where you are going wrong.

Good luck finding that Holy Grail.

Lisa N
Fri, Oct-22-04, 08:40
It’s common knowledge that thinking outside the box leads to innovation and creativity. Dr. Atkins and Don Gorske were both doing that when they created their diets 30 years ago.

While I agree that "thinking outside the box" leads to innovation and creativity, let's take a look at why Don Gorsky says he eats almost nothing but Big Macs and Coke:

Gorske eats almost nothing but Big Macs and drinks basically nothing but Coke and has been doing so for 25 years now. "I admit I'm obsessive compulsive," he says. "I have so many compulsions."

Thinking outside the box (hmm...don't Big Macs come in a box? ;) ) had nothing to do with Don Gorsky has been eating for the past 25 years, obsessive/compulsive disorder did and it's just fortunate for him that his body hasn't completely rebelled by now.

tom sawyer
Fri, Oct-22-04, 12:21
Eating Big Macs gives most people a big butt. So only eating them half the time, and doing Atkins the other half, would quite naturally be a half-a$$ed approach.

adkpam
Fri, Oct-22-04, 12:25
It reminds me of a social history book I just read, "The Fasting Girl."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1585421359/qid=1098469503/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-3756908-7993439?v=glance&s=books

Samuel
Fri, Oct-22-04, 15:00

Has Don Gorske ever been obese before he started his dite? According to what I read, he is just a man who maintains the same weight no matter how much he eats. This is nothing extraordinary, there are people like him everywhere. Don't ever assume that your body will react the same when you eat his food.

Anyway, Big Mac is not too bad. It's a complete meal, it gives 600 calories and only 44 net carbs. You can reduce the carbs substantially if you eat it without the bun. Eating Big Mac is not against Atkins rules unless trans fats are used to make it.

Willam
Fri, Oct-22-04, 15:56
Oh William!!!!! I've missed you :bhug: :lol:

(Gorske - wouldn't be German for Ritz would it) - don slap me William :lol:

KoKo

Missed you also!! :bhug:

Thanks again for your support and assistance researching the Ritz Project. It’s still an important component of my WOE. ;) It's beginning to look like I might need a little support here also.

William

Willam
Fri, Oct-22-04, 16:29
http://app.mcdonalds.com/bagamcmeal?process=item&itemID=5

Please, please, please folks, I’m serious here. Check out the above nutritional information and you’ll see that the core ingredient of the Gorske plan is actually a relatively healthy food choice. I’m not for a moment suggesting that we utilize anything more than this one key component of his diet.

Do you actually think that 560 calories is excessive for a complete meal? Even the evil trans fats are squat compared to most other foods we encounter. Jeeze, its got more sesame seeds than trans fats.

To me, this two meal a day Atkins and one meal a day Gorske plan just seems logical. The nutritional benefits of Atkins would certainly offset the minor shortcomings of the one Gorske meal. The low calorie Gorske would probably reduce the total daily caloric count for most and who knows what will happen to our metabolism. I’m thinking “jump start” here. Also, knowing we’ll have a scrumptious Gorske treat for dinner also might curb our daytime temptations.

Am I just rationalizing here or might this actually work?

William

LondonIan
Fri, Oct-22-04, 16:40
McAtkins...it could work. :)

CindySue48
Fri, Oct-22-04, 18:42
Don Gorske is the guy that has eaten over 20,000 Big Macs and pretty much lives on a couple of Big Macs, a small fry and regular Coke (and not much else) every day.

So it IS that guy!?!?!?!?! I did a search on the name, but figured it had to be someone else! :lol:

potatofree
Fri, Oct-22-04, 18:56
Very creative... it sounds SO much more scientific than "I want to eat a Big Mac every day."

Samuel
Fri, Oct-22-04, 20:03

Please, please, please folks, I’m serious here. Check out the above nutritional information and you’ll see that the core ingredient of the Gorske plan is actually a relatively healthy food choice.

To my knowledge, McDonalds fries the meat. Do they fry the meat in butter, oil or margarine? This is where the transfats to wory of could be.

Their website mentioned that their bread contains some hydrogenated soybean oil, but this should be too small amount to wory of.

You are talking about Don Gorske as a man who has a diet plan comparable to Atkins'. Where did you get this? All I could see is that he is a man who have eaten plenty of Big Macs without gaining weight. There are many people who can eat pizza every day without gaining weight too.

toopoles
Fri, Oct-22-04, 20:14
MdD's fries the meat on a grill, but doesn't add any butter, oil or margarine other than what is left over from the eggs that were cooked earlier in the day.

Samasnier
Fri, Oct-22-04, 22:57
I think you're just rationalizing.

Are you still doing the three Ritz a day thing?

mcsblues
Sat, Oct-23-04, 01:41
"Also, knowing we’ll have a scrumptious Gorske treat for dinner also might curb our daytime temptations."

Scrumptious?? :lol: McDonalds burgers are revolting! If you can't make yourself a MUCH better burger with NO trans fats NO hydrogenated soybean oil and NO high fructose corn syrup filled bun - then I suggest you take some very basic cooking lessons.

"Am I just rationalizing here or might this actually work?"

You are just rationalizing and attention seeking. Wow you got half what you were after! :lol:

Cheers,

Malcolm

gapgirl420
Sat, Oct-23-04, 12:22
FAST FOOD DIETS WORK!~~~ When I lived in Lexington KY,
the Weatherman on one of the TV stations lost 75lbs eating at WENDYS for lunch and supper every day...he ate a double cheeseburger, fries and that milkshake thingy they have...
When you set your mind to it, I guess anything could work!
I'll stick to my meat and veggies though....YUMMMMMMMM

GAP

Redbeard
Sat, Oct-23-04, 14:01
I have twin daughters who can eat anything they want. If I SMELL fresh baked bread I gain 5 pounds. Of course, if I smell it I have to eat about 3 loaves with honeybutter. :lol:
Low carb isn't really a mystery.
Those of us who tend to be overweight also tend to have a slight insulin resistance so when our pancreas produces insulin we fail to deal with the blood sugar appropriately. Then we make MORE insulin and MORE and MORE until our bodies get the expected reaction... then we have too much and our blood sugar drops like a brick.
I can only speak for ME, but after a big sugar/starch hit I feel generally sluggish for a couple hours, maybe even a headache and crabby and when the low blood sugar thing hits with full force I feel weak and know that I have to eat if I don't want to pass out. So I eat, and since my blood sugar level is low I crave more carbs. I go through that every couple hours until I get to sleep at night, then early in the morning I start all over again with some cereal with lots of sugar, coffee with lots of sugar or maybe a donut... oh yea, it's the sugar free variety :yum: :lol:
If I count up the calories, I've probably had over 5000 because of all the between meal snacks brought on by low blood sugar.
On a LOW CARB regimine we don't go through that high/low blood sugar routine. I don't get hungry between meals. I don't get crabby. I don't get weak and I can eat a lot less and feel full.
Yes, we process protein and fats differently than sugar. But the big thing is we aren't constantly eating, or at least I'm not.
Yes, I've stalled at 225. Been here for a while and I'd like to get down a few more pounds. But I also have to face the fact that I'll probably be a big man for the rest of my life or until I come down with some kind of serious illness. I don't mind not looking like Tom Cruise.
I've lost a lot of weight but have kept most of my muscle mass. I'm not a big exerciser, but I do get out for the occasional bike ride and get serious about physical work. I'm doing far better than I was BEFORE I lost the weight. I don't break out in a sweat when I climb the stairs. I don't feel weak like I did when I was going Low Cal. And I don't get cold in the miserable winters around here.
Getting stuck is the body's way of dealing with what it considers to be famine conditions. We go into famine mode and attempt to preserve resources. Sometimes we just need to eat MORE carb free foods.
Anyway... that's my rant. I've been pretty successful on this and have persuaded my brother to go on LC as well. He's lost more total weight than I, but then, he had further to go. I'm still the "younger, smarter, better looking brother." :cool:

Elihnig
Sat, Oct-23-04, 14:08
adkpam: I have another of the books on that link, Fasting Girls The History of Anorexia Nervosa. It is a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0375724486/ref=pd_sim_books_2/102-7596341-1056107?v=glance&s=books

Beth

Lisa N
Sat, Oct-23-04, 14:48
FAST FOOD DIETS WORK!~~~ When I lived in Lexington KY,
the Weatherman on one of the TV stations lost 75lbs eating at WENDYS for lunch and supper every day...he ate a double cheeseburger, fries and that milkshake thingy they have...
When you set your mind to it, I guess anything could work!
I'll stick to my meat and veggies though....YUMMMMMMMM

GAP

Yes, but work for what? If weight loss is all a person is after (and they have the sheer willpower to pull it off), dropping calories to say...1,000 a day should do the trick.
However...that doesn't mean that once you reach goal weight, you will have a healthy body or will have learned anything about how to eat to keep the weight off.
Whether a person wants to consume transfats or not is up to the individual, but studies have shown that as little as 2 grams of transfat a day (like that Big Mac and a couple of Ritz crackers) can cause major cardiac health problems.
Remember, low carbing isn't just about losing weight. It's about eating healthy and avoiding foods known to cause health problems (like transfats) and consuming foods that have the highest nutrient value for the carbs they contain so that your thinner body will also be as healthy as possible. After all, what good is it to be thinner and wind up with health problems anyway because of poor food choices? :idea:

jadefox26
Sat, Oct-23-04, 15:09
Of course, you could eat a big mac every day on atkins....but you'd have to forgo the bread....but then I do regularly go for a burger king minus the bread....I don't think I would want to revert back to the old way of eating anyway, bread just doesn't hold its power over me like before

MsTwacky
Sat, Oct-23-04, 16:31
I think this post is really really funny!! :lol: :lol:

William,

Eat what you want and see if it works for you. If it doesn't you can always come back here for our help and support. It's that simple. ;)

Willam
Sat, Oct-23-04, 19:03
LondonIan, Potatofree and others, thank you for your overwhelming support of the new McAtkins nutritional approach. ;)

Someone said, “If you talk the talk then you have to walk the walk“ so today is day one of a seven day Atkins Gorske study. "Boldly going where no man has gone before" comes to mind here.

My Atkins breakfast and lunch have not changed in months and will remain the same for the next week. Dinner will consist of one mouth-watering Gorske.

My start day stalled weight is 173.6

Dinner is near so I’m off to Gorskeville. :yum:

William

mio1996
Sun, Oct-24-04, 11:22

You are just rationalizing, but it may work anyway :)
Good luck is all I can say, William, and enjoy the big mac! If it breaks your stall, you will be a noted lc pioneer, but if it is your undoing at least you enjoyed it :lol:

adukart
Mon, Oct-25-04, 10:38
Kind of sounds like CAD here, have you read about CAD Willam? Or CALP?

loserbaby
Mon, Oct-25-04, 15:11
William, I have trully missed your most entertaining posts. What you're going to do does pretty much sound like CAD. If this is what you have planned, I would suggests bringing your Ritz's with you, I bet they go great with Big Macs. But,carbs and calories aside, did you see Supersize Me? I'm not sure that those fries and sandwiches should even be classified as food.
P.S: KoKo: LOL!!!!

LondonIan
Mon, Oct-25-04, 15:39
I do have a problem with your proposed WOE. As a Brit, I condsider half of it to be a terrible alien intrusion. Fish and chips anyone?

black57
Mon, Oct-25-04, 16:10
I have been stalled weightwise for a year. I have spent more time being "stalled" in this sense than I have in losing weight. BUT!!! I have been losing inches, therefore I am not stalled. It is just hard to believe that I could be stalled this long but continuing to shrink. I have never lost the consistancy of doing htis way of eating. This is my way of eating for life. If I ate a big mac every day, my stall would be broken. My weight would go up and my migraines and painful joints will come back. I don't see any shortcomings in the diet. It is of value to appreciate that everyone is different.

dodg4kat
Mon, Oct-25-04, 16:15
I laughed out loud as I read this post and have to add in my two cents. I noticed some of you mentioning stalls. I agree that all diets have stalls and some people just seem to lose weight in bunches with gaps in between instead of evenly from day to day. The other reason stalls happen though is that goal weight has been met and the body is struggling to maintain it. While I do not feel it is my job to say "You should weigh this much" I can say that sometimes you need to take a step back and look at the reasons behind a stall. Have body fat comp done either in a gym or on the computer so that you are armed with information. Once body fat goes below a recommended number it can be dangerous for men and women, where continued wieght loss will start to strip muscle too.
And the McAtkins sounds suspiciously CAD to me, btw.
Anyway, just my two pennies!

PilotGal
Mon, Nov-08-04, 13:12

I've tried every cheat food along with my Atkins plan.... and no matter how I wear my hat...... it doesn't work! ;)

Paminifarm
Sat, Nov-13-04, 14:16
Hello,
I have given up.
After my polyp surgery followed by a
horrible candida attack around my mouth and
nostrils, i am now adding to my other additions
“Candida Killer Meals”. Adding health and
healthy foods to the Atkins diet to stay
healthy; along with sneak foods; now the
candida foods, plus giving up because of my
age, i am ballooning. I have also become less
active since my surgery because of the
Fungus fear i now get every time i think of
going back to my gardening, which is what
helped me keep my weight from going up. I
am actually in a state of panic . . . and am
frozen in this “given up” mode . . . hahahaha,
and you all thought you had problems tsk tsk
. . . I never touch burgers however, unless i
ground my own burger, and just how often do
you think i feel like monkying around with
that mess . . . I do at least “feel” a lot better
since i quit the wine.

carrottop
Wed, Nov-24-04, 15:26
MdD's fries the meat on a grill, but doesn't add any butter, oil or margarine other than what is left over from the eggs that were cooked earlier in the day.

I did a job coaching job at McD's with an employee. They slathered the grill on a regular basis with the same oil that they used for the fries. Do you really think they want those precious patties sticking to the grill? That oil = trans fats. One thing I learned from job coaching: What a restaurant advertises and what happens behind the scenes are two different things.

But if you want to eat the burger, William, why not take your own low carb bun and hold the sauce.

BTW, one person's personal history is anecdote, not evidence.

AtkinsBOY1
Wed, Nov-24-04, 15:41

Please, please, please folks, I’m serious here. Check out the above nutritional information and you’ll see that the core ingredient of the Gorske plan is actually a relatively healthy food choice. I’m not for a moment suggesting that we utilize anything more than this one key component of his diet.

Do you actually think that 560 calories is excessive for a complete meal? Even the evil trans fats are squat compared to most other foods we encounter. Jeeze, its got more sesame seeds than trans fats.

To me, this two meal a day Atkins and one meal a day Gorske plan just seems logical. The nutritional benefits of Atkins would certainly offset the minor shortcomings of the one Gorske meal. The low calorie Gorske would probably reduce the total daily caloric count for most and who knows what will happen to our metabolism. I’m thinking “jump start” here. Also, knowing we’ll have a scrumptious Gorske treat for dinner also might curb our daytime temptations.

William

Look at yourself u are askind silly questionS :lol: First of ALL YOU CAN NOT simply eat bigmacs on the ATKINS! It is probiited. There is on bread allowed at all. Only healy bread such as whole wheat wich soulnd even be eaten more than two slices a day. Also remeber you are not doing the atkins diet if you do this you will just be doing another american diet. Eating high fat with carbs is very unhealthy. MAn stop whining and crying. its just a stall it happened to me and its going to happen to u get used to it. :o Also you can not have trans fat on the atkins. I can see it now your going to drop dead of a heart attck bcause combinding low carb with high carb is completly dangerous for your health. It like saying im on a low fat diet and it wont kill me if i just have 3 eggs with bacon and some sasuage. Now wouldnt that be harmful if you were in a low fat high carb diet. Its the same thing as what ur saying. I think you shoudl slap yourself a couple of time becuase of mr.Atkins heard this he would have a fit lol
Sorry I missspled many things becuase im really buzy doing studying for bio chemisrty :q:

AtkinsBOY1
Wed, Nov-24-04, 15:48
I've tried every cheat food along with my Atkins plan.... and no matter how I wear my hat...... it doesn't work! ;)
You guys simply dont get it! Cheating is a no no on the atkins. It can also be danerous to your health.

AtkinsBOY1
Wed, Nov-24-04, 15:50
LondonIan, Potatofree and others, thank you for your overwhelming support of the new McAtkins nutritional approach. ;)

Someone said, “If you talk the talk then you have to walk the walk“ so today is day one of a seven day Atkins Gorske study. "Boldly going where no man has gone before" comes to mind here.

My Atkins breakfast and lunch have not changed in months and will remain the same for the next week. Dinner will consist of one mouth-watering Gorske.

My start day stalled weight is 173.6

Dinner is near so I’m off to Gorskeville. :yum:

William

yea i will watch you drop dead of a heart attck your really acting silly. Go read the Atkins book I mean what ur doing is pointless

carrottop
Wed, Nov-24-04, 16:12
William I encourage you to work in the kitchen of a McDonald's for one week. I promise you that you will never eat there again. You can watch the difference among the employees (who come and go due to slave-like working conditions). The ones who eat very carefully keep the weight off. The ones who eat the burgers with the buns blow up like balloons.

I gained 15 pounds in the first three weeks there before I got smart and started bringing protein drinks. They tried to tell me I couldn't drink my protein drinks publicly there and I told them to stuff it because I wasn't technically a McD employee. My work there caused me to gain back 15 of the 20 pounds I had lost on induction. You want to do waistline suicide, go ahead.

AtkinsBOY1
Wed, Nov-24-04, 19:14
William I encourage you to work in the kitchen of a McDonald's for one week. I promise you that you will never eat there again. You can watch the difference among the employees (who come and go due to slave-like working conditions). The ones who eat very carefully keep the weight off. The ones who eat the burgers with the buns blow up like balloons.

I gained 15 pounds in the first three weeks there before I got smart and started bringing protein drinks. They tried to tell me I couldn't drink my protein drinks publicly there and I told them to stuff it because I wasn't technically a McD employee. My work there caused me to gain back 15 of the 20 pounds I had lost on induction. You want to do waistline suicide, go ahead.

not to mentition a heart attck

AtkinsBOY1
Wed, Nov-24-04, 19:49
also u know why the diet is not working for you i dont call ritz cracker and ceral on the atkins. Dude If i were u i would serisouly get a copy of the atkins becuase there is no crackers on the atkins and there is no ceral on the atkins either. You are satring to scare me by trying to cominde big macs with atkins thats just going to cause u a heart attack or even worse death, Seriously i would speak to a docotor you really need help. :idea:

Redbeard
Thu, Nov-25-04, 12:24
I went to a get-together for a group with which I'm involved, and one of the other attendees was discussing his "failure" to loose weight on his current diet. Of course, mention the word "diet" and I'm all over it, so we started talking about his efforts to loose weight on Atkins and how he didn't find it too difficult to stay on the diet, but he had not lost any weight in the three weeks that he'd been trying it.
We talked some more and he mentioned the low carb foods that he was eating and how it wasn't that hard for him since he had such a variety, so I finally got suspicious and asked him how many carbs per day does he take in. He replied "50".
Of course I told him that 50 per day is "maintenance level for some, and that he has to start off at about 20 and see how his metabolism works with carbs before he ever goes to 50.
What else can I tell him? How can I be encouraging but at the same time give him the information that he needs to make low carb work?

gracewrite
Fri, Dec-17-04, 18:06
All I can say is....I ate one meal a day, McDonalds Happy meal, for a coulple of months and lost 40 lbs and I didn't die of a heart attack.

Now that I'm reading this thread, I'm thinking about doing that again...

It sure as heck didn't make me near as sick as the Atkins has been making me for the last two weeks of my induction.

Duparc
Fri, Dec-17-04, 18:33
It is interesting that Don Gorske is not dead; yet!

How many illnesses has he had? How old is he? Most, but, not all people, remain resilient until early old-age (around 55) and it is thereafter one sees what type of life-style they've led. It is then that the dreaded old-age illnesses begin to arise. He doesn't look as if he has reached that stage, yet.

Lisa N
Fri, Dec-17-04, 18:36
All I can say is....I ate one meal a day, McDonalds Happy meal, for a coulple of months and lost 40 lbs and I didn't die of a heart attack.

Now that I'm reading this thread, I'm thinking about doing that again...

It sure as heck didn't make me near as sick as the Atkins has been making me for the last two weeks of my induction.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller.nutrition.categories.kidsmeals.index.html

Gracewrite, you will not find one person out there who knows anything about nutritional requirements who would call that a wise or healthy way to lose weight; low fat, low carb or otherwise. What you were eating amounted to a maximum of 640 calories a day and provided less than 50% of your RDA for most vitamins and minerals. I'm not surprised you lost weight on that (and probably some hair and quite a bit of muscle tissue as well). Heart disease also does not develop in a matter of 2 months of unhealthy eating. However, 2 months on a very low calorie diet such as you describe above can really mess up your metabolism.
As for Atkins induction making you sick for 2 weeks, some daily menu examples would be helpful there. Most people don't feel quite up to speed for 3-5 days, but longer than that may indicate that you are cutting carbs, calories or both too low.
You could probably lose weight using your previous method again, but you'd also likely find that you can't maintain the weight loss once you reach your goal due to a lowered metabolism and lower lean body mass.
Unless, of course, you have no problem with the idea of having to eat no more than 800-1000 calories a day to maintain. :p

LondonIan
Fri, Dec-17-04, 18:45
until early old-age (around 55)

:lol: :lol:

Come on man, you are only a nipper yourself!

gracewrite
Sat, Dec-18-04, 10:45
Actually, I didn't lose any hair and had a great deal of energy. I also didn't gain any weight back after I reached my goal weight. I kept it off for years until I got pregnant. Also, I pretty much ate whatever I wanted, (Like I do now and don't gain any weight) and didn't gain any weight to speak of. I maintained my goal weight quite easily. Also at 185 pounds I've maintained that quiet easily as well eating whatever and whenever I want. It's bizzare.

This last pregnancy however, it's stayed on. I haven't really tried all that hard to take it off until now.

Lisa N
Sat, Dec-18-04, 14:16
My point is, if I starve myself for a few months and drop all this weight quickly, stay on vitamins and minerals and watch heart rate while doing that, I really don't see the harm.

Grace, there are some things here that you may not be taking into account. Our bodies are wonderfully complex organisms with a myriad of protection systems built in to prevent us from dying. One of those is that if calories are cut extremely (as you've done) the body often responds after a few weeks by cutting how many calories it burns.
This may have worked for you in the past, but after one (or more) pregnancies, your body is not the same and never will be again.
I also hope that your definition of "healthy" isn't just that something won't outright kill you in the short term.
In answer to your question of "where's the harm", you may find some of these links informative:
http://fatloss.com/skip.htm (the body is not selective about which muscle tissue it will use. Your heart is a muscle as well and could be damaged from long-term protein deficiency)
http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/0698metabolism.htm
http://atkins.com/Archive/2002/1/11-918650.html

Grace, I can appreciate not wanting to think about food all day but if eating normally makes you crazy and obsessive about food, you may want to consider speaking with a professional about that. Eating 3 meals a day should not lead to thinking about and abusing food all day and if it does, perhaps there are some issues that need addressing?
Very low calorie diets cannot provide the vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, essential amino acids and protein requirements that your body needs and in the long run, it will suffer from it. Yes, you can take vitamins but what you take in pill form is not nearly as well absorbed or utilized as what you would get naturally from healthy foods. Some vitamins also require certain types of fat to be absorbed properly.
Please be kind to your body; you have more than yourself to think of now. :)

gracewrite
Sun, Dec-19-04, 11:30
Why is it when I make a statement that makes people uncomfortable and challenges their beliefs, a few feel the need to tell me I need to seek professional help? Calling me a crazy fool would be far less condecending and irritating.

Darlin' I don't need professional help, I can assure you. Your statement is not about me, it's about guess who? You.

Anyhoo, I just finished reading the Omega plan and it seems to be the most balanced, healthy, easy "diet" I can adhere to. I only need to buy about four extra things for my kitchen with this one.

I believe cutting out entire food groups can never be healthy in the long run. It's about balance. Maybe I hate eating during the day because; a) I don't get hungry and b) my choices on these diets are so limited?

Perhaps that's what makes me and millions of others who have the same reaction and obsess about food when they go on these radical diets? So are you saying that myself and millions of others on these diets need professional help? Well, you may be right. Who knows, since you are here, maybe you do too.

Paminifarm
Sun, Dec-19-04, 11:48
Hello,
I was about the same way:
Before eating i didnot feel hungry; while eating i got hungry;
after i ate my meal, i became obsessive for food, and could
very well eat until i died all in one sitting. Horses are like that,
in that they will eat themselves to death, however i think humans
and horses are the only animals that do that. HEAR THIS!!!!
Now that i am on Diflucan for Candida: i get a healthy hunger
before meals; eat normally; donot feel like gorging after eating,
and the best part is my energy has gone through the roof; the
sky is the limit . . . I only just started the Diflucan, and my next
appointment is this coming week, so i donot know what to say
at this point as to what will happen now. The Candida isnot
gone; only "going" very slowly. I donot know if the Diflucan
will ever get rid of the Candida or i have to stay on it for
many months or what. I do know you have to stay on
some anti-fungals for from 3 to 6 months before the
Candida is "dead".
Now then the starvation dieting: The reason it works is because you
arenot feeding the Candida, so the Candida is too weak to make you
goofy. It doesnot kill the candida; the candida just goes into hibernation.
I wonder if while on a starvation diet; doing the Homeopathy treatments
for Candida would be a time when it would work (kill the rotten little suckers)
All i know is it didnot work for me, and the Diflucan is working. :D

Lisa N
Sun, Dec-19-04, 12:21
I believe cutting out entire food groups can never be healthy in the long run. It's about balance. Maybe I hate eating during the day because; a) I don't get hungry and b) my choices on these diets are so limited?

Gracewrite, if you can find a plan that works for you, great. However, I do need to point out that even on induction, the only "food group" that is cut is grains and those are added back in again later in moderation (or not at all if it turns out you are sensitive to grains and never realized it until you cut them out of your diet for a while). Also, The Omega Plan doesn't advocate eating only once a day, either.
With 58 different vegetables/fruits and a wide variety of protein sources available to choose from, choices don't seem that limited even during induction; it's only as boring as a person chooses to make it. As soon as that 2 week period is over, the choices available increase dramatically with the addition of nuts, berries, melons and a range of additional vegetables and eventually whole grains as well.

Why is it when I make a statement that makes people uncomfortable and challenges their beliefs, a few feel the need to tell me I need to seek professional help? Calling me a crazy fool would be far less condecending and irritating.

I'm sorry if you feel that I'm being condescending to you, but my comments were in response to your statement that one of the reasons that you don't eat during the day is to control obsessive and abusive patterns with food;
if I don't think about food all day long, I don't abuse it all day long.
That's one warning sign of a potential eating disorder as is starvation type dieting. If it doesn't apply to you, my apologies, but one can only go by what is presented on these boards.

gracewrite
Mon, Dec-20-04, 12:23
Actually I don't eat during the day because I'm never hungry during the day it's not like I'm doing it on purpose! If I do sometimes eat during the day and don't become obsessive about food.

I only become obsessive about food when I'm freeking dieting!!!!!!!!

And I didn't say the omega you could only eat once a day. You eat three times a day with snacks in between. It's a good sound diet.

Anyway, I've settled on juice and water during the day, and eating a sensible meal at night. It's when I drop the most weight and don't have to feel like I'm dieting. I've cut out all the refined foods, hydronated oils and the like.

this is the way I've been eating for over 20 years. It's what my body likes. so instead of drinking coffee and cokes all day long, I've switched to water and juice. I no longer feel like I'm fighting with my body. We're finally happy with each other's choices.

Everyone's body is different and it seems mine needs carbs to lose weight.

Duparc
Tue, Dec-21-04, 04:06
Hi LondonIan,

Only a nipper myself, did you say? 74 in 2 months and lost something like 24 of my contemporaries? Yes, I am young, fit, healthy, still have an interesting libido, recently remarried, have a workout with weights twice weekly, and still believe that I have a future. I've been LC since the late 60s (prior to the Aitkens' publications) so it gets the credit.

I suspect you may have misinterpreted my comment.

AndreaBash
Tue, Dec-21-04, 05:01
this is the way I've been eating for over 20 years. It's what my body likes. so instead of drinking coffee and cokes all day long, I've switched to water and juice. I no longer feel like I'm fighting with my body. We're finally happy with each other's choices.

It doesn't sound like what your body wants has given you the results that you want, though. Why would you continue to eat the same way you have when it's obvious it hasn't been working for you?

I don't know anything about the plan that you're talking about, but if you're guzzling juice all day it's obviously not a low carb plan... so it seems like you're kinda just here to bash Atkins? Is that about right?

AJourney
Tue, Dec-21-04, 08:23
I find that when we start looking at other plans, it is due to boredom....start researching new recipies and things and I bet that will give you the incentive to stay on!

gracewrite
Wed, Dec-22-04, 08:20
Not here to bash anything accept for my weight. Atkins is fine and so are a lot of other diets. Just disappointed it made me so sick

KoKo
Sat, Jan-01-05, 16:51

William

William - I'm so excited :yay: look what I found for you!!!!

MyMcDiet Dot Com (http://mymcdiet.com/daily.htm)

He lost 46.2 pounds eating McDonalds 3 times a day (once in a while he dumped the top bun and skipped the fries) he did walk TO the McDonalds though and is training for a 60 mile walk ;) to raise money for breast cancer

I think too, that I may have discovered the problem with the cracker a day on Atkins - you should have been eating goldfish crackers NOT (according to silly diet rules they would count as protein) Ritz :agree: - I have been searching for a new plan on this footbally New Years Day.

Below is a quote from his summary of his McDiet -

do not respect the efforts of Morgan Spurlock (creator of SuperSizeME the movie), his pal Jarod, nor Subway for their attacks on McDonalds. If you listened to Jarod's commercials, they are very deceptive, by inferring that Subway had something to do with his weight loss, I intend that it was his exercise that led to his weight loss. That is only my opinion and I would have respected him much more if he was honest about that, so people understood and were motivated by him. If the commercial said "Hi, I'm Jarod and I lost weight by eating a balanced meal which included Subway and exercised regularly. You can too."

Every time they attack McDonalds I think less of them. Why? Because I ate only McDonalds for four months and successfully lost weight. 45 pounds in 4 months while eating everything on that menu, including the delicious Chicken Selects. I didn't lose weight only eating McDonalds, my walking overshadowed any consumption. I believe the same for Jarod. Difference is that he is worth a million dollars forgetting to say that part on his commercials. And if I hear anyone say Subway has evolved one more time... They are no different than anyone else, read on, not even your Moms cooking is better. I just love it when someone says "McDonalds burgers are bad for you" OH, and you make a better one? I worked in the Stockyards of Chicago with my stepfather, at a meat packing plant during a summer when attending high school. I don't want to hear about your "better burger".

So you can see I love to get fired up about things but you will also see we have lots of fun losing weight and raising money for charity.
Please read my disclaimer listed at the bottom of the page and then click on Learn about BFD (BigFatDiet and yeah, I know). Then check out the journal. Tell friends or family, email me and share you experiences with me. If you are an animal lover and do not like the restaurants I like, I am sorry. I do not wish to offend you. You have your beliefs and I have mine. Think of it this way, I promote weight loss which translates into less food consumption which means less animals lost. So help me. If I can get 10 percent of the world to cut back on their consumption and exercise more, then I would have to believe that 100 cows will rest easier each night.

ColbyJax
Tue, Jan-04-05, 08:45
Not here to bash anything accept for my weight. Atkins is fine and so are a lot of other diets. Just disappointed it made me so sick
The reason it makes most people sick is because Sugar is no different than any other drug when you come off it.

People need to realize that sugar wouldn't be considered food if it was invented today. It's a drug. You get sick when you withdrawl from it.

Now, back to the main topic...

Atkins is a lifestyle that was prescribed to people. It only became a diet when people realized how good it worked. Dr. Atkins wouldn't be hated so much if he only helped those who wanted to learn about what they were doing. This is not a diet.

The three reasons I knew it was for me..

1) Atkins didn't want a cent from me after I read the book. 5 bucks is a small price to pay to change my life.

2) I felt sick the first 5 days. I knew my body was withdrawling. It was a shock to my body, and I knew it was working. It told me what was happening each day in the book.

3) After I finished induction, I felt better than I have ever felt in my life. I focused at work. I had energy to move. And, I lost 17 pounds in 2 weeks.

If you walk into this not reading anything, and expecting it to be easy, you've come to the wrong place. All the people who give Atkins a bad name are slowly leaving. I'm happy. Now maybe people will take the time to understand the lifestyle instead of jumping on the bandwagon.

JL53563
Tue, Jan-04-05, 13:48
"Atkins is a lifestyle that was prescribed to people. It only became a diet when people realized how good it worked. Dr. Atkins wouldn't be hated so much if he only helped those who wanted to learn about what they were doing. This is not a diet.

The three reasons I knew it was for me..

1) Atkins didn't want a cent from me after I read the book. 5 bucks is a small price to pay to change my life."

Not only that, but practically all the information that is in the book you can also get from his website for FREE. That really impressed me. How often can you actually get something of value for free anymore?

Redbeard
Wed, Jan-05-05, 09:53
I remember something that one of my professors discussed YEARS AGO, when I was still young enough to be in college and interested in coeds.
The professor was discussing addictions; heroin, caffeine, nicotine, coccaine... and food.
He explained that our reaction to food is exactly the same that goes on with other addictive substances. In fact, the withdrawal process is much the same. If someone has been fed I.V. for an extended period of time, he must be re-introduced to food. In addictive terms, he/she must become addicted again.
The whole addictive process is probably in place to keep us from starving to death. If we didn't feel a drive to eat, why would we bother?
It's just that some of us... ok, I'm speaking for myself here, seem to overdose on food.
Atkins seems to be able to reduce if not eliminate the addictive process, for me at least. I often don't even realize that I could eat until my wife asks if I'm hungry. I simply reply, "I wasn't, but now that you mention it, I could eat." :lol: