PDA

View Full Version : Lossing weight long term

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lessara
Tue, Sep-25-01, 10:37
This Friday will be my 6th week on the Atkins diet.
This is my question:
My weight loss is quite um... unsteady.
I will lose 5 pounds, gain 2, lose 4, gain 3, lose 6, gain 4
Now I do weigh myself every other day. I don't have a scale in my home but the drug store that I go to, does. And I weigh myself only on that one scale. Should I be weighing myself less? Is what is happening to me normal? I have lost 2 inches in my waist and hips, 1.5 in my chest. I feel healthy though if I eat too much animal fat I do have problems digesting it. I also can't eat cheese but I'm not hungry and I'm not addicted to sugar (which is the biggest plus for this diet so far) I'm walking alittle more.
I have been overweight for all my adult life (19 years).
Thank you!

r.mines
Wed, Sep-26-01, 10:34
Yes, losing in 'fits and starts' is normal. Many people, especially women, lose and gain water rapidly, depending on exercise, salt intake, hormonal fluctuations, etc. As long as the general trend is downward (as yours is), don't worry about it. Your measurements are shrinking, too, which is another indication that you're doing things right.

Rachel

Tazmani77
Wed, Sep-26-01, 17:13
That is the one strange thing I too found about this WOL. :daze: When I was on WW I didn't have this flucuation. My weight went down steadily, however I was hungry all the time and my every thought was comsumed by food. :cry: That is the one thing that keeps me doing this WOL. I hate to feel hungry and now I don't have to. Just wait it out it will all fall into place in the end. With Lc'ing the key is patience :sunny:

Lessara
Thu, Sep-27-01, 06:49
Patience is something I've got to learn on this WOE, patience about water, weight, and all.

Raven
Thu, Sep-27-01, 07:01
This is a big reason why I suggest weighing only once a month and using measurements and how your clothes fit as a guide in the meantime. You'll miss all those annoying daily fluctuations and keep from getting frustrated as a result of it.

Try once a month and I bet you'll be much happier for it.

Natrushka
Thu, Sep-27-01, 07:09
Originally posted by Tazmani77
When I was on WW I didn't have this flucuation. My weight went down steadily, however I was hungry all the time and my every thought was comsumed by food

I wonder if this has to do with losing body fat as opposed to lean muscle mass? Fat cells are notoriously unwilling to give up their fat, or their water.... hence the up and down ....lean muscles on the other hand... ?

Nat