PDA

View Full Version : Sudden unexpected water loss

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Raven
Mon, Sep-24-01, 09:13
Okay I need everybody's input to help me figure out what is going on with me today.

Starting early this morning, about 5am, I woke up with an extremely dry mouth and full bladder and a headache. I went potty, drank a glass of water and two advil and went back to bed. 20 minutes later, same thing...dry mouth, full bladder...drank a glass of water, back to bed. Repeat about 3 more times. Since 5am I've ingested about a liter and a half of water. Since yesterday was my monthly weigh in and I had a number, I went ahead and stepped on the scale today to see how much water I lost in just a few hours: 4 lbs worth!

Now I'm getting low potassium symptoms again and it's just like induction all over again. Muscles very weak. It was VERY hard to dry my hair this morning. Just holding the hair dryer up made my arm muscles almost give out on me - very fatigued.

So what happenned? Yesterday I had a good 3 liters of water, which is about my usual amount. I took all my supplements like I have been every single day. TOM finished about 4 days ago. There are only two things that were different: 1 - I ate 3 good size stalks of brocolli with dinner...and 2 - I did an hour of aerobics (Richard Simmons Disco Sweat - lot of fun by the way), at 3am. I couldn't sleep and had a lot of energy so I decided to make it productive. I drank almost a liter of water during and immediately after this workout

Today, I took an extra potassium pill and an extra cal/mag to see if I can do anything about my muscles being so tired. It's after 9am now, and I'm still pottying about every 20-30 minutes. I've been drinking a LOT of water to keep the headache away (it's gone now). I didn't even want my morning coffee this morning, just water.

Has this happenned to anyone else post-induction? I'm in my 5th week on Atkins and this hasn't happened to me since week 1. Any ideas as to what I may have done to cause this? Would appreciate any thoughts, as this is baffling my brain. I'm skipping my toning workout today due to my muscles not being able to handle it right now. If I can barely dry my hair, I don't think I'll be able to do any resistance training.

Thanks in advance....

Karen
Mon, Sep-24-01, 09:25
Raven, that's called a whoosh!

Fat cells fill with water when they empty and under a certain (don't know what they are!) set of circumstances, the water leaves. It's sometimes accompanied by induction symptoms. It happened to me twice during the study last month.

Karen

tamarian
Mon, Sep-24-01, 09:30
Originally posted by Raven
(Richard Simmons Disco Sweat - lot of fun by the way), at 3am.

Exercising this late can be the reason for waking up at 5. Exercise raises your metabolism for hours after the end of exercise.

Wa'il

Natrushka
Mon, Sep-24-01, 09:32
Originally posted by Karen
Raven, that's called a whoosh!

Yep, happened to me after the fat fast. You were due.. just a matter of time. Keep up with the water and the supplements and be sure to eat today ;) (that includes the broccoli!)

Nat

Raven
Mon, Sep-24-01, 10:22
Ahhhh so that's what a whoosh is! Funny that it happened ONE day after my monthly weigh-in, LOL. Guess I'll go ahead and update my stats since I weighed this morning.

Wow, I feel so much better now knowing that's what it was. Thanks, I love you guys!!!

Tara
Mon, Sep-24-01, 10:48
Way to go, Raven! I'm doing a happy dance for ya! ;)