PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Cream v. Low Fat Milk

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

essjay
Sun, Sep-23-01, 09:59
It seems that they have the same number of carbs (whipping cream v. 2% milk) per serving. Why use cream over milk?

Michelle
Sun, Sep-23-01, 10:06
Because it tastes better? ;)

My Netzer carb counter book list whipping cream (35%) as 6.6g per cup, while milk(2%) is 11.7g per cup.
If I need something with more of a milk consistency. I could use a half cream/half water mixture and save myself another 3g or so.
Plus cream is just so much more decadant. Cream on berries, cream in coffee, cream in a protein shake, cream by itself...Ok off to get some cream!
HTH!
Michelle

Karen
Sun, Sep-23-01, 10:11
Hmm. Where are you getting this information from?

One of the best tools in the low-carb tool kit is a carbohydrate counter. There is one in Low-Carb tools at the top of the page. Corrinne T. Netzers Complete Book of Food Counts is a great portable one to have around. I referred to it constantly when I first started this way of life.

Karen

doreen T
Sun, Sep-23-01, 10:11
The higher the fat content, the LOWER the carbs. So, full-fat cottage cheese, regular sour cream, ricotta etc .... is going to be lower in carbs than the low-fat and especially the fat-free types. Not only do lowfat dairly products have more lactose in NATURE, but often manufacturers will add starch ingredients to thicken product, to make up for the missing fat.

Doreen

p.s. - Check out our online carb & nutrient data counter ... click on Low Carb Tools from the menu bar at the top of the page. You can find out the true carb counts of foods.

essjay
Sun, Sep-23-01, 10:43
At the bottom of both nutritional panels it says:

calories per gram

fat 9 carb 4 protein 4

The 2% and the whipping cream are exactly the same. This is different than carb content?

doreen T
Sun, Sep-23-01, 10:53
Actually, that is not the carb/protien/fat content of the milk or the cream. In fact .. that is data explaining to the consumer how many calories there are per gram of fat, carbs and protein.

Fat has approx. 9 calories per gm, Carbs approx. 4 calories per gm, and protein approx. 4 calories per gm. Doesn't matter if the food is meat, vegetable, grain or dairy ... that is how they calculate how many calories are in the food.

You need to look closer at the actual nutrient data on the label for grams of protein, fat and carb per serving of the particular food. Not sure where you're located, but in the USA, labels are permitted to list a food as "zero" carbs if one serving of the food has less than 1 gram in it. For heavy cream, a serving is considered as 1 Tbsp ... which has 0.4g carbs in it. The label will show zero, so you might be misled into thinking that a whole cup of the cream will still have zero carbs in it!!

If you want to be successful with lowcarbing, it really would be good to get your hands on an accurate carb counter book, or to use the online carb counter tools we've mentioned for you.

Hope this clears up the confusion for you :)

Doreen

Soon2BSlim
Sun, Sep-23-01, 12:01
I know that you can't always rely on what the Nutritional Values tag says...but I've been under the understanding that heavy whipping cream had no carbohydrates. I knew that they would fidget with a carb here and a carb there...but 3 carbs??? That doesn't seem to make sense....*thoroughly confused now* :confused:

Karen
Sun, Sep-23-01, 13:06
Trust no one, especially food manufacturers. ;)

Most dairy products have carbs. Even butter has carbs. Shift your understanding to dairy products having carbs and it will make more sense. I know Atkins lists dairy as a free food, but it's not. It has to be included as part of the count.

That is why we stress self-education through reading, researching and asking questions. With this way of life, knowledge is power.

Karen

Ka3n
Sun, Sep-23-01, 14:34
I knew that they would fidget with a carb here and a carb there...but 3 carbs??? That doesn't seem to make sense....*thoroughly confused now*

Soon2BThin,

Where are you getting the 3 grams of carbs? That would be the amount of carbs in almost 1/2 a cup of heavy whipping cream.

I agree about how confusing it all is. I buy the Horizon Organic Cream and it says 0 carbs for the 1 TBS serving size. As Doreen pointed out, it really has 0.4 carbs.

Katherine

europoz
Sun, Sep-23-01, 15:33

Soon2BSlim
Sun, Sep-23-01, 15:54
Katherine -

I mentioned the 3 carbs (1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream) mainly because I use the cream in some of my recipes...and it was a little frustrating to go from 0 grams to 3 grams extra per 1/2 cup.

I make this KILLER mushroom cream chicken (If any of you would like the recipe - let me know!!!)...and in it, I use about 1 cup of heavy whipping cream. I was just frustrated to know that there were about 6 more grams of carbs to the recipe than I thought (it's still well within the limit...but just a little annoying).

Thanks for all the advice you guys!!! :)

doreen T
Sun, Sep-23-01, 17:11
Originally posted by europoz
essjay, if you don’t feel like purchasing Corinne T. Netzer’s Complete Book of Food Counts or if you want a completely free —though American— carb counting resource, I would like to suggest the inevasible USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference (http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl). :) hi europoz :)

If you click on our Low Carb Tools link, on the menu bar at the top, you'll see that Our Very Own Excellent and all-round Amazing webmaster Wa'il (tamarian) has created a Carb Counter tool for us that is linked to the USDA, the most recent release #14, July 2001. It is more user friendly, in my most humble opinion ;) .. and very versatile. When you type in the name of the food, the first page you will see contains listings of carbs, fiber, protein and effective carbs for a 100g portion. All you have to do is click on the food name -- you will then be taken to a nutrient data sheet, with a full nutrient listing, vitamins and minerals, as well as the option to choose different portion sizes, such as 1 cup or 1 Tbsp, or 1 medium (eg, a whole vegetable, or an egg) or 1 oz.

He has also developed a very useful "Hidden Carbs" calculator, for processed foods which may have undeclared carbs hiding in the ingredients. Check it out!!!

(A book is still a good thing to have for when you're not on-line ;))

Doreen

Raven
Sun, Sep-23-01, 18:30
Not sure where you're located, but in the USA, labels are permitted to list a food as "zero" carbs if one serving of the food has less than 1 gram in it.

That is sooo annoying, I wish the FDA would get on their behinds and make them list actual counts. However, today I looked at my bag of Kraft shredded cheddar cheese and the carb count said:
carbohydrates: <1.

Yay Kraft for at least admitting there's carbs in there!

http://www.themelee.com/smilies/s/ups/mazmaz/cheeeeeese.gif

Blondie28
Sun, Sep-23-01, 19:26
I like this topic,, I switched from skim milk and low fat salad dressing and margarine and light cheese slices to HOMO milk and regular dressings and tonnes of mayo and butter and bacon and cheese I was prepared to blow up like a pig and have a heart attack from clogged arteries on the way.. hahahaha So imagine my surprise when I started to loose weight....

I realized that this plan was indeed onto something and we have been misinformed for years about what to eat and what not to eat. I can finally be at peace and know that what I am eating my body was built to burn....????

The proof is in the pudding!

I love my fats.. yummy yummy!

Shannon

europoz
Sun, Sep-23-01, 20:06

doreen T
Sun, Sep-23-01, 20:19
Yes, when I type in Paprika into our Carb counter Tool, I get a listing for paprika 100g ... Food item, 100 g portion.
Click on items for full details. Spices, paprika 55.74 g (carb) 20.90 g (fiber) 14.76 g (protein) 34.84 g (ECC or effective carbs)

So, you take yer mouse, and click on spices, paprika (http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-tools/carb_count_detail.html?item_id=2028) ... you'll be taken to a page that gives you the complete nutrient data for 100g of paprika, all the vitamins, cholesterol, saturated fat etc ..... At the very top, you'll see a Serving Size menu box, where you can choose your preferred portion, such as 1 Tbsp or 1 tsp of the spice. :) ... Just click on change, and voilà, there you have it.

Hope this has been helpful, take care

Doreen

europoz
Sun, Sep-23-01, 22:49

tamarian
Sun, Sep-23-01, 23:08
Originally posted by europoz
Will take me mouse and click from now on… ;)

Actually, I think the results displayed need a change of looks to make it intuitive. Maybe a little icon as a magnifying glass. An alternative is displaying a link for each serving size available in the database.

Any suggestion for improvement are welcome, we have the exact data as in the USDA, and then some (we kept records the USDA deleted for fast foods).

Wa'il

Ka3n
Mon, Sep-24-01, 12:53
Soon2Bthin,
I would love a copy. If you aren't going to post it, will you please send it to me via private message.
Katherine

Natrushka
Mon, Sep-24-01, 13:14
Originally posted by tamarian
Any suggestion for improvement are welcome

Remember you asked for 'em ;)

Just one suggestion. It took me a while playing with the carb counter to figure out that if i clicked on the food item it would take me to more information. How about making those links appear as actual links. i.e. underlined (as it is now they show as underlined links when my mouse is over them). Of course I just now noticed that it states "Click on item for full details"
:doah:

Nat :D

tamarian
Mon, Sep-24-01, 13:39
Originally posted by Natrushka

Remember you asked for 'em ;)

Just one suggestion. It took me a while playing with the carb counter to figure out that if i clicked on the food item it would take me to more information. How about making those links appear as actual links. i.e. underlined (as it is now they show as underlined links when my mouse is over them).

Done. :)

Wa'il

europoz
Sat, Oct-20-01, 16:52

Karen
Sat, Oct-20-01, 17:33
Is the post above conceptual, free-form posting? Or is there something there that I can't see?

Karen

madpiano
Sat, Oct-20-01, 18:14
Hey europoz, your picture has gone :( I liked looking at that ( was that you ??)

I found another way, how cream saves on carbs :

Not only has it less carbs per volume than milk ( especially the low fat stuff we get at work), but I use less in my coffee, than what I used to put in as milk (my coffe was usually half milk, half coffee, now I use 2 fl oz double cream at the most)