PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I'm shrinking and I've nothing to wear!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

doreen T
Sun, Nov-26-00, 13:44
Okay, I want to know what do folks wear while shrinking?? I'm between sizes right now - the big stuff looks sloppy and baggy and slob-like. I own a few "skinny things" from a former life, but I'm not quite there yet. So how can I look nice for the holidays??

- I have very little money, and can't afford a new wardrobe each time I drop a size - and I do plan on dropping another size or two before I'm at Maintenance level.

- figure challenge - I'm small on top, big on bottom and my legs are quite heavy. Many well-meaning friends tell me how big baggy shirts over a pair of tights just fills the bill no matter what BUT - they all have long straight legs, and any excess weight hides under the baggy top. That being said, I do wear tunics & tights, but just at home or quick trips for groceries or the library.

- I do sew, that is an option in terms of saving money.

so, I'm open to any and all suggestions :)

thanks, Doreen

NNN
Sun, Nov-26-00, 16:17
Hi Doreen.
I have piles of new clothes and at a bargain. I buy them second hand at fleamarkets, yard/garage sales. Goodwill shops and Frenchy's. Some of then are designer clothes. I bought a silk cardigan yesterday for a few dollars at a second hand shop. I bought a long leather skirt a few months ago for 5 dollars. While being a student with 2 boys to raise this is what we had to do and I kept it up. I love it and it is great. Also relatives and friends clean out their closets; we pass things arpound and what won't fit or what we do not want goes to charity.
NNN

NNN
Sun, Nov-26-00, 16:23
I forgot to say that this summer I bought a pair of Liz Claybourne(spelling?) shorts for 75 cents and a pair of Tommy Hillfiger jeans for a buck. The shorts were just a wee bit small so I gave them to my sister and the jeans, well they fit but my son is into brand names more than I am so I gave them to him. Now I am off to boil some eggs
( Keeping this LC :o))
Norma
/\---/\
( @ @ )
___o0O___^___O0o____________

NNN
Sun, Nov-26-00, 16:27
/\---/\
( @ @ )
___o0O___^___O0o____________
Here is what I was trying to do but it shifted when I sent it away,
Maybe it will again
NNN
Norma
/\---/\
( @ @ )
___o0O___ ^__O0o__________

NNN
Sun, Nov-26-00, 16:39
I just saw a lovely whoosh fairy floating around. I am going to stael her!!
I still can't seem to get my cat face right even in previews
Norma Hey where did that illusive fairy go?
~~~~~/\---/\
~~~~( @ @ )
o0O____^___O0o______________________________________________

doreen T
Sun, Nov-26-00, 16:41
Hi NNNorma!

thankyou, thankyou - I forgot about consignment and Goodwill, etc. There are a couple of good consignment and recycled clothing outlets locally - must pay a visit this week. (They have fitting rooms). And the clothes are cheap enough, they'll get donated BACK to Goodwill in a few months time.

Oh yes, to keep the topic lowcarb, when I go shopping, I'll be sure to eat a high-protein snack before I head out the door :p

BTW, hope you are doing okay back at LC basics. I officially finished Stillman Thurs. night, so one full week. But I am keeping my carbs below 10 right now, for a few more days. It sure is good to have some fat though. First non-Stillman meal was a cheese omelet, cooked in real butter. Mmmmmmmmm........ it was so good.

Doreen

NNN
Sun, Nov-26-00, 17:03
I am a bit off whack this weekend although I did not eat any thing that was not low carb. One day I had dropped to 137.5 and the next day I was 140 again so I have decided not to go on the scales too much . Think I can do that :o)
I ssure want to eat all the time since I quit smoking. I guess it will pass one of these days. I eat too much raw cabbage at times.Other stuff as well. Wow you have been doing great. I am glad to hear that.
NNN

Jen
Sun, Nov-26-00, 18:24
Since I've just realised I had lost inches, I decided to go in my closet and dig up some stuff. I found a pair of jeans (size 12) put them on and they fit!!! And quite nicely I might add. OK, OK, they're stretch denim and stirrups (sp?) but at this point I don't care. The fact is they're not jogging pants so that's good enough for me.

Goodwill and consignment shops are a good idea. Although I have to say I never find clothing I like in these places. I'm not that picky, but I never seem to find my size.

Anyhow, I'm wearing a size 12 jeans as we speak, and I'm one happy camper.:) Jen.

kentid2k
Sun, Nov-26-00, 18:51
Doreen T.

Just keep wearing your old clothes. Even though they may be baggy and saggy, you'll probably get more comments from friends etc. about how much weight you have lost. At least, that what any good "Scotsman" would do.

Ken

NNN
Sun, Nov-26-00, 18:57
Hi Jen, That is great news about the size 12s. You can't have too much weight to lose. I am in a size 12 now and was in a size 10 a while ago. Trying to get back to 130 or less.
BTW I used to live in Kirkland and Beaconsfield. Are you anywhere near there?
NNN

doreen T
Sun, Nov-26-00, 18:58
(1) I do wear undies beneath my kilt

AND

(2) I love you anyway, say whatever you will Kenny

love from Doreen

Jen
Sun, Nov-26-00, 19:17
You're actually (or were) close to my mom's place. She's in Lachine (also a low carber). I'm in Gatineau.

I'm wearing my size 12 jeans, but I still have quite some weight to lose. I have to say though, the inches are coming off since I've started to exercise religiously (resistance training and power walking plus crunches etc). Regular denim jeans would definitely not fit me. Stretch denim is more "giving".
By the way Norma, I think it's great that you quit smoking, congrats, wish I could do the same. I know it's not a wish thing, you do or you don't. Willpower is one thing I do not have at the moment. I keep it for LCing. One day, one day.....:)

tamarian
Sun, Nov-26-00, 22:27
Originally posted by NNN
Hey where did that illusive fairy go?

She's still here, only shows occasionally though :)

Wa'il

r.mines
Sun, Nov-26-00, 23:12
Just wanted to say hi, and welcome to the board!

Rachel

Originally posted by kentid2k

Just keep wearing your old clothes....

Ken [/B]

Sharon
Mon, Nov-27-00, 18:03
Great another man!!! Hope you can handle us "sweet" deprived women. Welcome Ken...so nice to have you chatting along with us. (Wa'il you're saved!)

tamarian
Mon, Nov-27-00, 18:12
Originally posted by Sharon
Great another man!!! Hope you can handle us "sweet" deprived women. Welcome Ken...so nice to have you chatting along with us. (Wa'il you're saved!)

Yes, this reduces the emasculation effect :p

Wa'il

doreen T
Mon, Nov-27-00, 19:19
Originally posted by tamarian
Yes, this reduces the emasculation effect :p

Wa'il

Gee Wa'il, I'd have thought hanging around all us women would cause the opposite effect, what with all the testosterone and androgen surges...... ;)

Doreen

Norma June
Sat, Dec-02-00, 13:38
I think consignment shops, Goodwill, etc. are the best route. Not only can you get temporary designer clothing for a pittance but you will look like you're rich with all them "new" clothes.

O.T. Hey, how can I get a cute picture beside my name. Huh? Answer me that one Ricky Ricardo! :)

ciao & hugs,
Norma June (Barrie, ON)

tamarian
Sat, Dec-02-00, 14:22
Hi Norma,

Of course, and we encourage everyone to do it. Just send me any pic you want next to your name, and it will be posted. Either real pic, or a clip art etc. Some helpful information was discussed in the thread titled "The Frog" :) in this forum.

Wa'il

WendyM
Tue, Dec-05-00, 18:48
I made the decision when I began this WOL that I would wear my clothes as long as possible. Since I have a lot of weight to lose I didn't want to be buying clothes that I would have to give away in a few months.

So far I haven't been doing too bad. I've had to buy a couple of pairs of new pants. But since I never threw anything out as I gained weight I am slowly moving into the clothes that had been moved to the back of the closet.

I had never consider checking out the Goodwill. I think I will check them soon. If I can get some decent clothes at a good price it will be very helpful.

swelch
Wed, Apr-11-07, 11:59
i've been stuck in baggy sweats and my husband's tshirts for a while. Refuse to try something nice on yet and be disappointed.