PDA

View Full Version : Wheat-free and Soy-free Protein crepes/wraps/pancakes

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

neo_crone
Wed, Sep-29-04, 08:35
So simple! These are great for making wraps for picnics, for breakfast with bacon, for dessert with sf syrup, or making cheese blintz.
I make up a batch and freeze them ready for any occasion.

Makes about 10 small crepes or 6 large ones

3 eggs
3 scoops plain unflavored whey powder
dash of salt
75 - 100ml water
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 tsp of bicarb*

Mix the xantham gum with the whey powder. Whisk the eggs, add the salt, then gradually add the whey powder and whisk hard until all the lumps are gone (yes I do this by hand! But you can use a FP or blender) Whisk in the water. Use the smaller amount if you want thick american-style pancakes*, and more if you want thin crepes. Omit the bicarb for european style crepes.

Cook in the usual way. Heat regulation under your pan is crucial. Too hot and they will brown underneath before they are set through. Too cool and and it will dry out and break up when you try to turn it. I use a teaspoon of butter or lard in the pan for each.
For thin crepes, roll the batter around the pan, coating the edges so they are not too thin there. Turn them carefully with a palette knife when they are set and browned underneath and cook briefly on the other side. Stack them on a plate while you cook the rest of the batter.

I get 10 thin crepes using my 6" pan.

Bronx_Guy
Sat, Oct-09-04, 15:48
what is bicarb?

clk
Sat, Oct-09-04, 18:36
I assume it's bicarbonate of soda, otherwise known as baking soda.

Cherie in Montreal.