PDA

View Full Version : Wheat-free and Soy-free Protein Nut Cake-Bread

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

neo_crone
Tue, Sep-28-04, 11:52
I don't eat wheat or gluten or soy products. I'm sure I'm not the only one :wave:

I'm not sure if this is a cake or not. I make it semi-sweet, but its easy to up the sweetness. Either way, a hunk is a damn good fast breakfast with a cup of coffee.
I expect you could make this into a chocolate version by adding cocoa powder and using choc SF syrup. I have not experimented with this, not being a chocophile :) You could also top it with a flavoured cream cheese spread for high days and holidays.

I keep it ready sliced in the freezer. It only keeps a few days in the fridge, and I can't eat it that fast.

60g Flax seed ground fine
60g Ground Almonds
25g Sesame seeds
180g Mixed nuts/seeds (I use pecans, brazils, hazlenuts and almonds)
90g Whey powder (I use plain or vanilla)
150g Peanut Butter (the kind with just peanuts and salt in it)
2 Large Eggs
4 tbsp SF Syrup or your sweetner of choice (I use splenda tabs)
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
1/2 tsp Bicarb
Lo-salt to taste
Water

9 x 12 x 2 inch rectangular pan greased and lined.

Whizz nuts and seeds up in Food Processor, leaving some medium chunks for texture. Add the rest of the ingredients and process, adding enough water to make a dropping consistency. Turn into prepared pan and smooth out top, hollowing it towards the centre.
Bake for 30-45 mins in a moderate oven till pale golden on top and
risen. Leave to cool in pan. Turn out and peel off paper. Mark and cut into 16 -24 bars.
Store in fridge/freezer.

Carb and calorie count will vary with your whey powder and nut choices.
My last lot came out at 175 cals and 2.5 carbs a slice.

clk
Wed, Sep-29-04, 06:33
It sounds like a great recipe. Can you tell me how many Splenda tabs you use? Thank you.

Cherie in Montreal.

neo_crone
Wed, Sep-29-04, 08:02
Darn, I knew someone would ask me that! I had a blank moment when I wrote the recipe up. I guess it was 10-12? I crushed them up and mixed them in with the nut and whey before adding the wet stuff. This was using a sweetened vanilla whey. I would probably up the number of tabs if using a plain whey powder to compensate, but as I said I don't have a sweet tooth, so you better taste and adjust to suit. Hope you like it!

clk
Thu, Sep-30-04, 10:29
Hi. Thanks for the info on how many Splenda tabs. Now to really push my luck, any idea of how much water you normally add? Do you want the mixture to be like a muffin batter? I don't really understand "dropping consistency".

Cherie in Montreal

neo_crone
Thu, Sep-30-04, 12:55
I don't really understand "dropping consistency".

Oh okay.....dropping consistency is when the mix is loose enough to 'drop' from the mixing spoon without too much wrist action :lol:
Thats an expression from the days before food processors of course. I run the FP and add water through the chute til the mix seems ...uh.....not too thick and not too runny.....oh help! How to say this? Not stiff and gluey, not thin and watery, but 'just right'! I feel like Goldilocks here :lol:
I'm not familiar with muffin batter (you are talking to a Brit here) so I can't compare it, but I'll bet it is about right.

I'm happy to measure the water quantity and report back to you, but as I've just made up a batch that won't be for a while yet. In fact, I'll make a promise to quantify the loose ends in the recipe next time I do it. All I can say right now is that it was probably between 75 and 200ml.

Hope that helps?

IslandGirl
Thu, Oct-14-04, 15:06
Hi. Thanks for the info on how many Splenda tabs. Now to really push my luck, any idea of how much water you normally add? Do you want the mixture to be like a muffin batter? I don't really understand "dropping consistency".

Cherie in Montreal
Think "drop biscuits" or "spoon biscuits". Thicker than muffin batter but too sticky and wet to roll out.

neo_crone
Sat, Dec-04-04, 09:36
I just made another batch of this. I faithfully measured the water and splenda before mixing up, so I could report back as promised.

60g Flax seed ground fine
60g Ground Almonds
25g Sesame seeds
180g Mixed nuts/seeds (I use pecans, brazils, hazlenuts and almonds)
90g Whey protein powder
150g unsweetened Peanut Butter
2 Large Eggs
20 Tabs of splenda, crushed (or use granular splenda)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp Bicarb of soda (baking soda)
1/2 tsp Lo-salt
150 ml Water (or SF Syrup instead of the splenda)
50ml Sunflower oil (not on original list of ingredients - added for extra moisture)

9 x 12 x 2 inch rectangular pan greased and lined.

Method

Whizz nuts and seeds up in Food Processor, leaving some medium chunks for texture. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until wel mixed. Turn into prepared pan and smooth out top, hollowing it towards the centre.
Bake for 45 mins in a moderate oven till pale golden on top and
risen. Leave to cool in pan. Turn out and peel off paper. Mark and cut into 24 bars.
Store in fridge/freezer.

neo_crone
Sat, Dec-04-04, 09:44
Opps, I sent that last post off without saying I also made a batch of Choc-Nut using the same recipe, but adding 80g of cocoa powder and an extra 50ml of water. If I'd had choc flavour protein powder and choc syrup that could have gone in too, but I did not have any in the cupboard.

I must say that the choc is much better than the plain vanilla, even to me who is no great chocoholic. I can't wait to have this for breakfast with coffee :yum: