PDA

View Full Version : VERY Drunk last night !!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

brighton
Sat, Sep-25-04, 09:16
Although i lost loads of weight in the 1st 2 weeks i stayed in last night and had quite a few whisky and diet cokes, i got so drunk i actually blacked out !!

I can usually handle that amount of alcohol easily but last night WOW.
So glad i stayed in, had i gone out i might have made a right idiot of myself !
The last i can remember is dancing around my living room with the wife. Oh well, at least i didnt do anything to bad.

I presume that is the effects of no alcohol for a while and the diet making the drinks stronger.

Head hurts. Watch out people.

lpioch
Sat, Sep-25-04, 13:56
I think it is true of many people...definitely true for me...
LOW CARBING MAKES IT MUCH EASIER FOR YOU TO GET DRUNK!

Normally, it wouldnt be until a 2nd glass of wine that I would feel the woozy effect. Now it's before I'm halfway done with the 1st.

CUT DOWN ON THE DRINKING because it will affect you much faster!
-- Loretta

4biddenEve
Sat, Sep-25-04, 14:26
Discovered this the hard way. Had not had a drink since I started Atkins. Went out with my sister and drank vodka matini's. Must of had at least 8 drinks. Ended up throwing up and so drunk I could not drive back home. In the past I did not have a problem with this. I guess LC makes you more supceptible to alcohol. :lol:

binki
Sun, Sep-26-04, 19:37
I too went from being a heavy drinker to an Atkins lightweight!

I think part of it is some chemical thing that happens due to not having carbs in the usual role as what gets burned for energy.

Part of it is that many of us quit or cut way back on alcohol, especially during Induction, and get out of practice.

And part of it is, it's easy to forget: we weigh less! We're not the big bulky people we used to be, who could metabolize all that booze. We're skinny little cheap dates!

weighty
Sun, Sep-26-04, 20:14
Is vodka and Soda okay to drink on Atkins Induction?

tholian8
Sun, Sep-26-04, 20:38
You have experienced the Low Carb Lightweight effect. Let me explain how this happens....

When you go low carb (Atkins Induction, let's say), your body responds, at first, by dumping its glycogen. This also dumps a lot of water, usually 3-4.5 pounds for a woman, 5-7 pounds for a man, unless you're supersized, in which case it can be much more. This is water weight only, it has nothing to do with fat loss. But keep in mind that a full liter of water weighs 2.2 pounds--so when you go on Atkins, your body could dump more than 2 liters of water in the first week, in addition to whatever fat you lose.

As long as you stay in ketosis, this water does not come back into the body. That's the reason you have to drink so much water on low-carb diets. Atkins and PP are diuretic diets. You are literally dehydrated the entire time, unless you supplement by deliberately drinking extra water. There is nothing medically wrong with this state, as long as you remember to keep yourself very well supplied with liquids.

When you drink alcohol on a low carb diet, it will affect you as if you weighed 20 to 30 pounds less. This is because of the dehydration and resulting reduced blood volume on a LC diet. Due to the lack of water in the blood, you will have a greater Blood Alcohol Concentration than you would have if you weighed the same but were fully carbed up. Greater BAC = more drunkenness.

So that's the scientific-ish explanation. Yes, you do become a cheaper date on LC.

Busyamom
Mon, Sep-27-04, 12:26
weighty, no alcohol while on Induction!!!!!

After Induction, a glass of white wine isn't bad (1.5 g of carb per 8 oz glass)...and the hard liquors are zero carbs but watch out! Alcohol will affect you much differently while you're on the LC.

rissa
Mon, Sep-27-04, 12:43
Alcohol - especially liquors can have an effect on you - because you're thining your blood, for one, secondly, it dehydrates you, third, your body will burn alcohol before fat, and it has been known by some to give cravings.
You're not supposed to have alcohol on atkins induction, or at anytime in the Stillman 1st stage diet. Even though alcohol doesn't have any carbs, it does have calories and you must be careful what you mix it with. Tonic water is very high in carbs - about 19g per serving. There are diet tonic waters available but most pubs won't have that as an option - so you're better off asking for it with a diet pop or just soda/seltzer (seltzer is better - no sodium)
The lightweight effect can be reduced a bit by alternating alcoholic beverages with a glass of water. It helps keep you hydrated and also helps to get the alcohol out of your system a bit faster, reducing the dizziness and nausea that could occur. Now, this isn't a license to go out and get completely schnockered and make an arse out of yourself - just something to help you get through a 2 or 3 drink evening if you must ;)
I know I'll be doing that this weekend - we're having a "hunting widows party" as all the men are headed to the woods for bow season (I'm not bowhunting this year due to time restrictions) So us girls are going to go out, have a couple of drinks and dance our pants off ;) I may not drink, just dance my pants off and drive everyone :) I think I could do that :) I'm not supposed to drink and last weekend it set me back a couple of days - although this is the last time I will have the opportunity to do it for a while! At least until newyears! We'll see! Its not really all that important to me to drink - I just want to go out and have fun with my friends :) Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze my bum into some jeans!

dwmw613
Tue, Sep-28-04, 09:39
Thank you for explaining "why" I get buzzed so quickly anymore. I have switched to Crown Royal and water with a twist of lime (was drinking wine but too much sugar alcohol)..

dekdahl
Tue, Sep-28-04, 14:21
Does anybody have the recipe for sf jello shooters???

erinleigh
Tue, Sep-28-04, 14:33
Everyone gives me crap about this too!! I have become such a lightweight ever since I started drinking! Which is alright, I save money, but, its just amazing, casue the drinks that I use to throw down, I throw up!!! LOL!!

O-well, I guess we all learn our lesson when it comes to drinking on Atkins!

dwmw613
Wed, Sep-29-04, 07:34
Use any flavor sugar free jello ( orange, cherry and watermelon are my favorites)

boil water as directed.

In place of the cold water - use VODKA but I have found to 1/2 vodka and 1/2 cold water.

Follow directions on package. Pour into tiny cups (I get these at Sam's Wholesale Club) and get the tops too. That way you can stack them in your frig... :agree:

I make these at every party I have..

rissa
Wed, Sep-29-04, 08:16
I've found that using schnapps is a great way as well - using knox gelatin and the schnapps makes it the true flavor of the schnapps and you can add an artificiall sweetner if you like it a bit sweeter.

adkpam
Wed, Sep-29-04, 09:19
I've been drinking since I started Atkins :) and it's very true that my capacity isn't what it was. But then, my hips aren't what they were, either! Thanks for the nice explanation, tholian8.

I can have just as much fun, I just go slower and wind up having only a few in the course of an evening. For me, the biggest problem is that the sugar laden mixed drinks, like margaritas, can be more tempting that a nice low carb glass of wine...so I've become pretty good at mixing my own drinks at home, and popular too!

dekdahl
Wed, Sep-29-04, 11:21
Thank you so much!!!

dekdahl
Thu, Sep-30-04, 07:37
Use any flavor sugar free jello ( orange, cherry and watermelon are my favorites)

boil water as directed.

In place of the cold water - use VODKA but I have found to 1/2 vodka and 1/2 cold water.

Follow directions on package. Pour into tiny cups (I get these at Sam's Wholesale Club) and get the tops too. That way you can stack them in your frig... :agree:

I make these at every party I have..

Are you using a small box or does it have to be more concentrated to jell the vodka?

RCFletcher
Thu, Sep-30-04, 12:55
Drinking while in ketosis really isn't a good idea. Your brain still needs some glucose. Normally the liver can make it from protein and all is well. If you drink alcohol however, your liver is so busy processing the alcohol that it's glucose making abilities are seriously impared.

This, I believe is the reason why people appear to get drunk more quickly. Their brain is running short of glucose. The fact that you actually blacked out might indicate that this is exactly what happened. I have heard it speculated that this might even be fatal in the case of someone who had used up all their blood sugars in excercise before drinking.

Atkins had a reason when he said we mustn't drink during induction.

Now, if I know I'm going to have a drink I have some carbs first. I don't get drunk so fast and I don't feel any worse than I did when I used to drink before I adopted a LC lifestyle.

dwmw613
Fri, Oct-01-04, 07:27
"Are you using a small box or does it have to be more concentrated to jell the vodka?" (quote from dekdahl)

Yes I just buy the standard jello package. I have found you need to add the jello to the boiling water and desolve before adding the vodka/water.

It will set-up just like regular jello.

Good luck. :Party:

dekdahl
Sun, Oct-03-04, 12:34
:help: "Are you using a small box or does it have to be more concentrated to jell the vodka?" (quote from dekdahl)

Yes I just buy the standard jello package. I have found you need to add the jello to the boiling water and desolve before adding the vodka/water.

It will set-up just like regular jello.

Good luck. :Party:

I asked if you were using a small box. You start with: "Yes." I also asked (meaning larger box) does it have to be more concentrated to jell vodka? Which question were you answering?