PDA

View Full Version : interested in dating a girl with pcos...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

somatropin
Sun, Sep-19-04, 20:25
I've been friends with a girl for about a year. I'm interested in dating her. I recently learned from her that she has pcos. I've been aware of her mood swings and her direct personality for some time now. It's never waved my persistance in persuing her. After learning of her health situation, a lot makes sense now. I've been reading through the forum and will likely have many questions....

1) Where can I find articles on fertility and this condition?

I wasn't aware of weight issues being apart of this condition until I read it in this forum. She's in her earily 20's and is about a 100lbs. She's known of this since she was 15. She's had surgery for a cyst already. I think she said laparoscopy, I don't think she said laparotomy. I'll have to ask her again.

2)In what way does this condition affect insulin resistance? I don't understand the connection here at all.

3)Is depression a mood that is experienced with this? Shes never said anything about this nor has she shown any signs of depression to me, but I was curious.

4)Can high stress (out side influences, such as stressful work etc.) trigger bouts of abdominal pains?

5)What is she emotionally going through? I believe she's likely on the pill (don't know for sure as we haven't talk about the pill) I can just assume thats what is the case here. Sh'e told me they (the docs) don't think she can have kids.

6)She seems to cling to constants in her life(things that don't change) Is this a way of coping with the influx of emotions?

Dave

cdoleshal
Wed, Sep-22-04, 13:18
Those of us with P.C.O.S. know what she's going through! It is an emotional turmoil! The giggles and stares of those ignorant of your disease can sometimes be unbearable.
The doctor told me I couldn't have kids many years ago, despite this and without his help I did have one, but ended up having my daughter 2 weeks early (I don't know if the disease had anything to do with that or not.)
Don't give up on her though, my husband says I have mood swings something terrible too, but he still loves me! :agree: (Although, I don't know how you men can deal with it though! You must all be a lot braver than me! And I AM a woman!)
The best thing my husband does for me is reminding me I am a woman and treating me to a special dinner once in a while.
Lots of Luck! There are a lot of web-sites for P.C.O.S., some of them are pretty good.
Cindi D. :wave:

MsTwacky
Thu, Sep-23-04, 16:07
There are many websites regarding PCOS a good one full of facts is
http://www.inciid.org/faq/pcos.html
also there is a support website at http://www.soulcysters.com/

Both are filled with a lot of facts and articles regarding PCOS. For many weight is an issue but the fact that she doesn't have a weight problem just proves that PCOS is not a result of being overweight. Many Dr.s like to tell women with PCOS "Just lose weight and you'll be ok"

Infertility is just one of the problems...there are many more. Does she know your looking this stuff up? It's very sweet but may be embarrasing to her as some of the symptoms are very personal.

somatropin
Thu, Sep-23-04, 21:40
Thanks for all the links.

Were very open and she's given me a lot of info already. I've spent a number of years going through my own health challenges too. We've been open and have shared a number of our experiences with each other.

Your right though. Yes, we both trust each other knowing that what ever info we share with each other regarding our own situations, doesn't go beyond either of us.

We do respect each other a great deal. Nothing between us is looked upon as judgement.

Dave

WantsMore
Fri, Oct-01-04, 08:01
All I can is tell you my experience. IF she suffers from the excessive body/face hair part(even one hair) do NOt bring it up. I am near her age and it is a source of embarassment to think someone notices that. I read that half of people with PCOS get insulin resistance regardless of weight or diet. I was one of the thin ones who gained weight from it. Some of us with PCOS have hormones that are unblanced, I'm sure that can play a part in mood swings or depression. But it wouldn't hurt to see a psychiatrist to rule out anything else. The having to have a constant in her life "may" be a sign of something else underlying. The only linked emotional problem I have had with this is facial hair and not knowing if I will have children. But with all the treatments I don't worry about that for now. The prospects are very good due to all the new technology. Also if she is on the pill that is good, it helps regulate things, though she has to make sure that it's a certain pill. PCOS can be made worse by most birth controls. I forget at the moment which hormone is the cause of that, but some do not contain the hormone. These are the ones she needs to be on. I've had abdominal pains but I couldn't tell you if it was the fibriods or my cysts.

somatropin
Mon, Oct-04-04, 00:59
Thanks for your insights. She is very dear to me and if only she can understand someday that I'd accept her the way God has made her, everything would be dandy lol. On the surface she's always said she doesn't care wwhat others think, but I know from my own experiences that's not always easy. I know we all can present a tough exterior at times...when inside were going through something entirely different.

Well, I guess I'll just be at her side until she's confortable knowing she has a true friend here. I'm a patient fella lol

She's great and I enjoy her for who she is.

However I'm not really sure what is meant by excess facial or body hair really. I've never noticed anything. We've spent time looking into each others eyes on occasion. I've never looked for anything, or would really care if there was something. I like her for who she is, no matter the circumstances.

Dave

csb2
Mon, May-02-05, 08:27
Wow! What a guy. You MUST really care for her and she is a special person to have you in her life. That, alone, will help her. I thought I was the only one with such a special man!!