PDA

View Full Version : Filet de Bœuf au Madère

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

BillT
Fri, Sep-21-01, 02:20
Beef Fillet in Madeira
Ingredients for 6 persons: 1 2.5 lbs beef fillet, 1 bottle of Madeira, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon butter, salt, pepper. Sauce: 1 onion (4.8 ECC), 2 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon flour (5.7 ECC), 1 tablespoon beef broth, 1 8 oz. mushroom can (5.7 ECC), 1 glass of Madeira (1.7 ECC).
Preparation: 25 minutes. Cooking: 35 minutes. Resting time: 5 hours.
Preparation: Place the beef fillet in a hollow dish and pour Madeira over it. Cover and marinate for 5 hours refrigerated. Preheat the oven to 475° F. Drain and wipe the meat. Brown it in 2 tablespoons of oil on medium-high heat. Butter an oven-proof dish and place the drained beef fillet in it. Add 3 tablespoons marinade and cook in the oven 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper at the end of the cooking. Sauce: Thinly slice the onion and sauté them in the butter. Sprinkle with flour and stir. Add the beef broth and the juice from the canned mushrooms. Whip until it boiling and simmer for 5 minutes. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary. 5 minutes before the end of the cooking, Add the mushrooms and a small glass of Madeira to the sauce and continue simmering for another 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cut the fillet in slices and serve it with the sauce in a sauceboat on the side.
Total ECC: 17.3; per person: 4.3 ECC.

gmurphy
Mon, Oct-22-01, 11:38
This recipe sounds great...but I want to assure I've got it right (before I screw up an expensive cut of meat!). I like my beef rare, how long would you suggest it cook? Also, what does ECC mean? Is that the grams of carbs? I'm kind of new at all this so will appreciate your help!

BillT
Tue, Nov-06-01, 12:17
Originally posted by gmurphy
This recipe sounds great...but I want to assure I've got it right (before I screw up an expensive cut of meat!). I like my beef rare, how long would you suggest it cook? Also, what does ECC mean? Is that the grams of carbs? I'm kind of new at all this so will appreciate your help! gmurphy, the best thing to do is to pick the piece of meat you like at the store, ring the butcher and ask him the recommended cooking time for that exact piece of meat you’re holding in your hand at your desired specs. ECC means "carbs minus fiber": because humans don't metabolize fiber, it can be deducted from our carb counts…