PDA

View Full Version : New to Atkin's & Soon trying to become pregnant.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

deepti
Thu, Sep-16-04, 10:08
Hi! :wave:

I have been on atkins for 3 weeks now. Did induction for the first 2 weeks and have been on OWL since last saturday. I have lost Just over 15 pounds till now.

We are planning to start trying to concieve end of December. So I have about 3 months from now until then. :agree:

My delima is what should i do about Atkin's? :q:

I have read, one should not try to loose wt. while pregnant.
Tell me if this sounds correct. I think i should try to loose wt. and stay on OWL for another month (that's 1 month gone). Then for one month do pre-maintainence(that's 2 months gone). And finally start maintainence in the third month.

Or should i carry on with OWL ? untill when? Can and should i skip any Atkin's phases? What do i do? pls. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :help:

Rowan'sma
Thu, Sep-16-04, 21:06
I would stay on Atkins induction levels until you get pregnant. When you get pregnant, you will need to up your carbs, which means skip to maintenance (you will be just fine), eating about 60-100 carbs per day. You shouldn't be in ketosis while you are pregnant, so moving up to maintenance levels is necessary. Losing weight while pregnant should not be your aim. Instead, focus on eating all of the right foods so you don't gain more than you need to during your pregnancy.

Good luck to you, and don't stress yourself out over this!

Heather

lpioch
Fri, Sep-17-04, 09:24
I agree with Heather. But keep in mind things don't always work out the way you hope. This was always my plan with my 3 pregnancies, and by week 6 of each of the pregnancies, I couldn't LOOK at protein, much less smell it or eat it. Best intentions, but didn't happen. By the end of the pregnancy, I was hardly able to move around (they sprain my sacro illiac ligaments), so I couldn't cook - hubby was the "chef" through the last 4 months of pregnancy.

Hence, I'm back to LCing again, now that I'm healed and baby (#3) is 6 months old.

So don't be surprised if you intend to continue with Atkins maintenance but one thing or another out of your control gets in the way. Don't kick yourself or anything 'cause it'll be over soon enough and you can get back to this WOL (which you'll be doing the rest of your life anyway!).

Good luck with the conception!
-- Loretta

Faithnj
Fri, Sep-17-04, 11:51
Great advice, Loretta. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Faith
(Who is on cheat-free day #5, but couldn't even look at protein during the first trimester.)

C-u-lean
Sun, Sep-19-04, 14:22
I will be trying to become pregnant soon too. Some of the things I have heard to get through that first trimester are LC toast & chicken broth, both are bland and not high in protien (for those that can't stand protien the first tri.) Also LC yogourt is an idea. And if you have to eat carbs to get you through, make good choices with complex carbohydrates.

Does anyone have any advise of what I should do now, before becoming pg besides taking folate and a multi? I really would like to get to my goal before the start of this pg, but I can't wait too much longer because of school, I really would like to have the baby in the summer before fall semester starts, but not before spring semester is over. Good luck right? Haha!

Fireball
Tue, Sep-21-04, 08:54
We just started trying for #2. I went to my doc and showed her what I eat and she was very pleased and only had a couple recommendations - add more fruit and whole grains when I do become preg. I am also taking a prenatal vitamin. So I'm not changing anything until I do become preg - maybe I can lose a few more lbs before I gain pregnany weight! :)

Jill33
Sun, Oct-17-04, 16:15
I am trying to get pregnant too. My family dr. told me to go off Atkins because it is harder to conceive when on Atkins and very hard on the kidneys. So I went off just over 2 weeks ago and I am completely miserable. I have lost 105lbs. in 6 months and I have about another 50 to go. So after reading all of the advice from you awesome women (Women are incredible!!), I just started induction today and am planning to stay on Atkins until I get pregnant and then I will adjust at that time.
Anybody have any hints for getting pregnant at 41 years old???

Fireball
Mon, Oct-18-04, 16:51
Hey Jill,

My doc was really pleased with my plan - of course some doctors and people in general will have some negative comments about Atkins - so I just say I'm following a lc/high protein plan and then have a list of the foods you eat and or a sample menu. And that's exactly what I did with my doc and she asked me if it was like Atkins and I said "yeah - kind of." I mean honestly, what is so wrong with fish, chicken, beef, turkey, etc, veggies upon veggies upon veggies and gallons of water?!

With that being said - I am going to the doctor tomorrow to confirm the faint 2nd line I'm seeing on my home preg test! :yay: This was only my 2nd month trying/being off the pill! I would suggest a Trying to Conceive msg board - there are a few great ones out there - send me a private message if you'd like links to the sites. But one of the things I did this cycle was to drink decaf green tea from the end of my period until I ovulated. After ovulation I ate pineapple - as much as I could until it just burned my tongue! HA! I know - not exactly LC but I want another child! Some other tips - chart your temps and use OPK's (ovulation predictor kits). Both are very helpful in teaching you about your body and when is the right time!! Keep in mind the average healthy couple only has approx a 20% chance of getting preg each month - so anything you can do to help you understand your body the better off you are! :)

Good luck - send tons of baby dust your way! Drop me a line (private msg or through my journal) if you want some links!

Jill33
Thu, Oct-21-04, 17:58
Thank you Fireball for the baby dust... I'll blow some your way too !!!
I just love Atkins... I called my gynecologist today and he said that I can stay on Atkins until I conceive and then up the carbs.
I want to be pregnant so badly it hurts !!! Well, we have only been trying a month now... so we'll make a huge effort this month !!
I don't seem to be able to send private messages, however if you can send me one with the sites you mentioned I would greatly appreciate that.
Thank you

Tjenxs
Fri, Oct-22-04, 11:56
Hi Fireball!

My dh and I are TTC too. I know about the benefits of green tea (I think), but am not quite sure about the pineapples. Could you elaborate, please? Thanks! (Tried to send a private message but wasn't able to).

Fireball
Fri, Oct-22-04, 12:32
Hey Jill and Tjenxs!

I sent you both PM's!! Check 'em out!!

The green tea is supposed to help you increase your CM. And the pineapple is supposed to help aid implantation.

Good luck and baby dust ladies!!

Jill33
Fri, Oct-22-04, 17:55
Fireball... please help me !!! I have no idea how to find my private messages... It often tells me that I dont have access here and there. It shouldnt be so complicated- what am I doing wrong???It won't even let me send private messages.
THanks,
Jill

Fireball
Mon, Oct-25-04, 14:49
Hey Jill,

UGH! I'm sorry about the PM thing - I don't know what to tell you - you might want to check with a moderator. Maybe you have to have so many posts or something. Did you check your USER CP...do you have the ENABLE PRIVATE MESSAGING box selected under Edit Options?

How are you doing otherwise? Have you started a journal yet?

Good luck!