PDA

View Full Version : LC & nursing?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

BellaLinda
Sun, Sep-12-04, 22:42
Is anyone here low-carbing while nursing? I've a 7 and a half month old and a 2 and a half year old I am nursing, and am now cutting my carbs more than ever before. I followed SugarBusters! when I was only nursing the elder girl, and that was just fine, but I am concerned about the impact on my supply that might come with lowcarbing. I know getting enough protein and enough water are the main things with supply, and I'm taking a multivitamin, but I don't want to chance shortchanging my younger nutritionally (the older, obviously, is eating enough other things I don't have to worry about her).

ElisaB
Mon, Sep-13-04, 03:55
Hi!

I personally think that it's best to include some healthy carbs while pregnant and breastfeeding, based on most of the info I've seen. For instance, AnnLouise Gittleman, the author of the program I'm following (the Fat Flush Plan, a moderate carb plan) recommends following the maintenance rules while pregnant/breastfeeding to make sure that there's a variety of nutrients being taken in and to fuel the additional needs of the mother's body while pregnant/nursing and the child, too. Afterall, mother's milk does contain quiet some carbs.

How about concentrating on eating whole foods, and limiting your carbs, but not excessively? What I mean is, if you concentrate on eating foods that haven't been processed and don't come from a package, fresh foods you make at home from fresh meats and veggies... and then add a portion of higher-GI carbs at every meal (like sweet potatoes, peas, maybe some beans) and otherwise make sure you eat a diet rich in "clean" (read: unrefined and unprocessed) foods, you'll do better and likely lose weight while still being able to nurse your little one.

Your priority should be to have a good milk supply, both quantity- and quality-wise. If you want to lose weight, it's best to make it a priority after you are done nursing your little one (which is up to you, but I seem to understand you are an AP parent so it may be a while).

That's my view, it may not be shared by some LCers. As an LCer and a mom, I can tell you that I'm planning on trying for another one, and during my next pregnancy and while breastfeeding I don't plan on restricting my carbs that much. Sure, enough not to mess up my blood sugar (and by now I know how to spot that when it happens) but not with weightloss in mind.

Good luck and (thouch I know I'm about 7 months late) congrats on the new baby! :baby:

redegg
Mon, Sep-13-04, 14:02
I'm not quite as concerned about nursing my little guy since he's 16 months and eats solid foods, but still want to make sure he gets the nutrition. But you're tandem nursing, which means you have two little ones to consider! I'm doing a modified Atkins diet, that is, I'm eating more vegetables than recommended in the weight-loss portion of the diet. Just cutting out snacking, sweets, breads and starchy vegetables has done a lot for me. :-)

I think you can successfully LC, if you aren't after a super quick weight loss, without affecting your milk supply and nutrition. (I'm actually eating healthier *on* the diet than I was before!) Just try to keep it balanced and make sure you get plenty of calcium, since breastfeeding moms often end up not getting enough anyway. Vitamins are a must, but you said you're taking one already. Also, be sure you drink your 64 oz. of water a day, and get enough calories, so your supply doesn't dwindle.

Personally, I find that lactation itself helps me lose weight faster than I could otherwise, so it's been going really well. I hope you have a similar experience!

Karenemt
Tue, Sep-14-04, 00:26
I am doing Atkins while nursing, started at maintenance carb levels and have remained there. The weight is slowly coming off, but the best part is I FEEL GREAT!

For me, I must have 100 oz of water daily, and even more when exercising a lot. If I don't, my supply suffers. I also eat veggies with every meal (even breakfast usually).

At this point, with you tandem nursing, I'd say just go nice and easy. I know my little guy was getting probably 90% of his calories from nursing at about one year.

If you can concentrate a little more on exercising, that might help you get the results you want. Once my son turned 1, we began bicycling together, and that helped me tone up.

Good Luck!

lpioch
Tue, Sep-14-04, 12:46
Wow! How the forums have changed, even in just a year. A year and a half ago, you couldn't find ANY posts on LC and pregnancy/nursing!

Anyway, I've been LCing only 1 week while nursing (she's 6 months and still doesn't eat much in the way of solids). I haven't noticed a change in milk production. Here's what I do:

5 to 6 meals a day (2+ hours between each meal).
10grams of carbs (fiber doesn't count) for each meal.
No LESS than 2200 calories a day.
Lots of water.
Lots of fiber (30+grams)

I didn't want to go into ketosis, since no one can say it is definitely safe for pregnancy/breastfeeding.
I didn't want to cut calories at all, since you're supposed to get 500 more a day.

So far, so good. Down 3 pounds in a week, and all measurements (well, except for chest) have gone down too. So I am hoping all is well.

I do weight lift heavily 3 days a week and walk almost every day.

-- Loretta

BellaLinda
Tue, Sep-14-04, 13:49
Thanks for all the input! I'm definitely a big one on veggies & am trying to avoid ketosis. I think I have reached a set-point, which is why I am trying to shake up my plan a little. I had been losing 1 or 2 pounds a week, but haven't had a change in more than a month. Realistically I know it is probably due to building muscle, but I got used to losing.

I'm monitoring the younger (the older nurses only about 2x/day) and she's not exhibiting any signs of hunger or being less satisfied from the milk, so I'm thinking we're OK. (But it hasn't been that long!)

hotmomma
Tue, Sep-28-04, 16:16
Well i have a 10 week old beautiful 14 lb baby boy!! I have been LC ing since he turned 6 weeks i have lost 13 lbs this month. :) I have TONS of milk much more than i did with my first son, he is 3. And i ate TONS of carb foods while nursing him, :o i also packed on 36 lbs in the year I nursed him. YUCK!

I am doing a modified low carb as well in the sense that i eat tons of veggies, salad and i do eat low carb bread, and tortillas and snuck in some watermelon, berries, and the lower sugar foods this last month.

The baby's dr as well as mine said that the baby weighing in at 14 lbs shows that all is working well so for me I will continue lc'bing.. :thup:

Just remember to keep taking in the H2O and vitamin. GOOD LUCK, Melissa

JoyfulOne
Fri, Oct-08-04, 15:41
I tried LCing (Atkins' ML) when my son was 4 months and would fluctuate between 2-4lb loss. Now that he's six month and eating solids I've been given the go ahead by his ped to LC. She basically told me to make sure I get my carbs from plenty of veggies and fruit, and to drink at least 64oz of water.

I believe I'm just one of the few women that BF and just don't lose weight untl they stop BFing. I actually lost 22lbs right away, but haven't been able to shed those extra pounds I shouldn't have gained in the first place :lol:

Oh. . . and. . . I read an article by Atkins that said it was okay to be in ketosis while BF (I'll look for the link and post it later) and that weight loss would be painfully slow due to hormones that support BF.