PDA

View Full Version : Must one stay on Glucophage forever?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Quagga
Fri, Sep-03-04, 05:51
My doctor gave me Glucophage to treat my insulin resistance and PCOS symptoms, but she said that I should only take it for 3 months and that's it...

She says that she will do more bloodtests in 3 months' time, and if there is an improvement, then I don't need to take the Glucophage anymore...

This does not make any sense to me though.. I would think that while I am taking the Glucophage, my insulin resistance WILL obviously improve & the blood tests will all be OK...
Surely, then if I stop taking it, it will get worse again??? So it does not make sense to me to only take it for 3 months?? I don't want to go through a whole on / off thing the whole time, and wait till I get worse again....

What's the longest one can take Glucophage for? Can it be taken continuously for years, without any long term serious side effects? :help:

Are there any medical articles which say one can take Glucophage for extended periods for treating PCOS? Then i could print that out & show my doctor...

notorious
Wed, Sep-08-04, 13:25
..on several factors. Some people can manage PCOS with just diet and exercise, some cannot. It is a matter of how IR you are, if your IR is gene-based or lifestyle based, how active you are and how long-term your diet is.

I have been on met for 3 years. Many diabetics are safe on the meds long term, and since my family history are high for diabetes and my IR began way back when i was thin and exercising (ie not strictly lifestyle based) my Dr wants me on met long term.

There are no long term red flags with met as long as you are taking a good multi-vitamin and get your liver, kidney and b12 labs checked at least once per year.

I have to agree with your train of thought on this in your situation. 3 months isn't even remotely enough time to give your body the full effect of the meds, and even if it helps, your insulin will likely be back to square one when you stop. I was on met for over a year before my labs normalized, so 3 months seems too short. If it were me, I would either ask your Dr to look at the long term studies of met in diabetcis, or find a dr that will at least give you a fair trial of the drug.