PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable Crepes!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kingb123
Thu, Sep-02-04, 12:02
I made some FANTASTIC crepes yesterday. It sounds nasty but it comes out exactly like the real thing. Beat 1/2 cup cottage cheese w/ 1/2 cup egg beaters (or 2 eggs). Add a bit of vanilla and some Splenda and cook like crepes. You can serve w/ low carb syrup. I ate mine with a mound of whipped cream and Walden Farms strawberry jelly. TO DIE FOR! Buen provecho!

Malindi
Thu, Sep-02-04, 12:30
Thanks Kingb,

I was really out of ideas on what to do with my eggs in the morning..I can't wait to try it out tomorrow.:yum:

kingb123
Thu, Sep-02-04, 19:36
Let me know how you like it. You may not be able to beat all the curds out of the cottage cheese, but even if the batter is a bit lumpy, the crepes come out smooth and uniform. Just so you know.

brobin
Fri, Sep-03-04, 12:15
Try using ricotta cheese. Smoother and should work the same.

brobin

kingb123
Fri, Sep-03-04, 18:41
Many more calories though and the crepes come out smooth with the cottage cheese

ImOnMyWay
Thu, Mar-17-11, 01:15
I tried this recipe, whipping the ingredients in my blender. I cooked them with a griddle and egg rings sprayed with butter-flavored Pam. Since I only had two egg rings, I had to cook them in two batches, and still had to do one "freestyle" pancake. They were GREAT! I ate them with 5 sliced strawberries and 1/4 C SF Smuckers Blueberry Syrup and 2 Tbs sour cream. AWESOME!!! The pancakes by themselves were very tasty but the toppings put them over the top!
:yum:

findus
Fri, Dec-09-11, 04:31
Wow, this looks awesome. Doesn'r cottage cheese add too much sodium to this ?
Can you wash it before using ?

CityGirl8
Wed, Jan-18-12, 15:33
I think the results you get with this really depend on the type of cottage cheese you have, whether its large or small curd, thicker or soupier, etc.

I tried this today, but didn't have much luck with it. The cottage cheese was big lumps. They melted and stuck to the pan and made the pancake to heavy to turn without tearing. I can't imagine how you would get smooth batter just by beating it.

Still, I might try it again following ImOnMyWay's suggestion to mix it in the blender. That might smooth out the cottage cheese. Or try brobin's suggestion to use ricotta. But I usually have cottage cheese on hand and not ricotta.

bike2work
Wed, Jan-18-12, 16:43
If you can make crepes, you can make cheese blintzes.

lowcarbjo
Wed, Jan-18-12, 20:59
do you have pics?

Buttoni
Sat, Jan-21-12, 10:37
Haven't tried any LC crepe recipes yet. May give this one a try! Thanks for sharing here.

Fish4Life
Sun, Feb-19-12, 11:20
I used this recipe this morning to make crepes for my wife, they turned out excellent. I did spoil her by making a thin blueberry sauce. I took about 18 blueberries, just enough water to come up to a 1/4 way up on the berries, med/high heat until the berries started to pop, stirred them up real good and >1 tsp of Splenda.

graciejean
Sun, Feb-19-12, 13:12
BUMP for later

Buttoni
Sun, Feb-19-12, 15:42
Say, Fish4Life, I sure wish my DH could cook like that. He can put a sandwich together or scramble/fry an egg, but that's just about the extent of his cooking talent. Wish somebody would make me blueberry crepes for breakie! :)

Fish4Life
Sun, Feb-19-12, 18:26
Say, Fish4Life, I sure wish my DH could cook like that. He can put a sandwich together or scramble/fry an egg, but that's just about the extent of his cooking talent. Wish somebody would make me blueberry crepes for breakie! :)

Thanks, my wife really loved this recipe too. Before we had to change our eating habits I would make her real crepes with a cream cheese/whip cream filling with cherry pie filling. She thought these were just as good!

It was funny because I had made my son and his friend blueberry pancakes this morning and he was using regular blueberry syrup (the last, sugar free is replacing it!) my came into the dining room and seen the Blueberry syrup and yelled "What, you know we can't eat this!" I assured her it would be ok, did the quick carb count and left her a happy lady!

chermac
Mon, Feb-20-12, 10:12
I can't believe I've been on this forum for so long and only just now discovered this thread. The cottage cheese crepes sound fantastic and I can't wait to try them.

Nancy LC
Mon, Feb-20-12, 10:18
I think the results you get with this really depend on the type of cottage cheese you have, whether its large or small curd, thicker or soupier, etc.
The original recipe was for crepes, I thought.

Put the egg and cottage cheese into a blender. The whey in the cottage cheese will make it soupy but you want your crepes to spread easily and coat the bottom of your pan. If you have a good pan, you should be able to give it a toss to turn it.

I usually just make egg crepes. I add a Tbl. of water to a few well-beaten eggs. They spread just like a crepe. Sometimes I fill them with egg custard and top them with berries. Yum!