PDA

View Full Version : check it out!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

monkey boy
Sun, Aug-22-04, 16:40
I found this web site pretty cool www.caloriecontrol.com

Bearurr
Sun, Aug-22-04, 17:11
Notice they don't say Kidney problems on the tag line!

CindySue48
Sun, Aug-22-04, 21:15
Well MonkeyBoy, I'm not sure why you think is't a "cool site"....but:

Low Carbohydrate Diets May Be Hazardous to Those With Kidney Problems
Although popular, low-carbohydrate, high-protein diets are not for everyone. Having an excess amount of protein in the body, particularly from meat and dairy sources, can cause additional harm to the kidneys of people with kidney disease. Harvard researchers have found that the excess protein can deteriorate the kidney function of those with mild, moderate or severe kidney disease or kidney problems. Doctors also warn that high protein diets can cause the body to excrete more calcium through the urine, and may increase the risk of kidney stones. Before starting any low carbohydrate diet, a doctor should evaluate an individual’s kidney function, as well as check their history of kidney stones.

First off, while there are studies showing that people with "mild, moderate or severe kidney disease or kidney problems" have a problem with protein, there are also studies that indicate that people with kidney problems actually need more protein. (I'll look for links tomorrow, or just search the forum).

Second, from what I've read, low fat diets are a problem with calcium absorption, not low carb.

As for seeing your doc before going on a LC diet.....well you really should check with your doc before starting ANY diet.

This is one of the articles on how to do LC "safely"...their description of Atkins:

Atkins Diet

* Almost no carbs allowed (including fruits, vegetables, and whole grains)
* No calorie or fat restrictions (diet contains almost three times the recommended saturated fat)
* Overall, the diet lacks many nutrients including vitamins C, D, and E; thiamin, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium and zinc
* Diet contains very little fiber

*Atkins starts you off with 20 carbs/day, ALMOST ALL FROM VEGGIES. Fruits and whole grains are added later.
*No calorie restrictions, true...but the LC books I've read (DANDR and Protein Power) both mention that some people need to watch their intake and they also note that you shouldn't stuff yourself, but eat until satisfied. TRANSFATS are restricted.
* Well I've been on LC for almost a year and keep track of what I eat in FitDay. I take multi-vit a day and have NEVER been deficient in any vitamins or minerals or any other nutrients (except carbs, of course).
*LC should be high fiber! If you eat the veggies you should, you'll get plenty of fiber (If you really think it's important)

Nope, I personally wouldn't refer to this as a "cool site"....esp on a LC forum!

Rowan'sma
Mon, Aug-23-04, 00:46
How is this website relevant to Atkins?

Vydor
Mon, Aug-23-04, 05:42
How is this website relevant to Atkins?

Esply since it seems to be anti-atkins.

Auburn2932
Mon, Aug-23-04, 06:15
I like the site, some good information in there if you read it all.

Wickedways
Mon, Aug-23-04, 07:31
I eat MORE fibre now and more veggies now than pre-diets, low fat, no fat and every diet I have ever been on...I am SO SO sick of hearing this garbage about atkins, and having overweight people repeat these ignorant things, particularly when they could benefit most from low carbing.

Wouldn't it be nice if the truth was just accepted and people could decide for themselves if low carbing was right for them?? I KNOW its not right for everyone but good heavens give them the truth to decide with <---end of rant.

BlitzedAng
Mon, Aug-23-04, 08:36
:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

jimsbride
Mon, Aug-23-04, 08:47
Blitzed,

Your Hilarious!!!! :lol:

jimsbride

Nudizzle
Mon, Aug-23-04, 09:17
please don't feed the trolls...

Kristine
Mon, Aug-23-04, 09:44
*blank stare*

*chucks thread into War Zone*

TheCaveman
Mon, Aug-23-04, 09:51
Please, don't use our beloved War Zone as a trash heap.

jimjam
Tue, Aug-24-04, 07:11
There is good info on that site - I've used it many times. And like it or not, there is something to be said about the truth - and keeping an open mind to it - it's just plain common sense. And can't we all just get along???? :)

monkey boy
Tue, Aug-24-04, 10:53
Amen to that jimjam

potatofree
Tue, Aug-24-04, 11:05
Posting a low-fat, low cal website in the thread of a high-fat diet like Atkins just SEEMS like a dig.