PDA

View Full Version : I'm so Bad!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Hellistile
Wed, Jul-28-04, 08:34
Ok I've finally beat the cravings but in a very un-NeanderThin way. I went out and bought 2 packages of cream cheese and 1 liter of heavy cream. I made a crustless cheesecake using the cheese, heavy cream, vanilla extract, stevia sweetener and 1 teaspoon Amaretto (lol). The fat in this cheesecake is devastatingly high. However, I've had two servings per day plus my regular 2-3 egg and bacon breakfast, meat salad or canned fish and 1 fruit for lunch and cooked veggies, salad and meat for supper and all my cravings for carbs have disappeared. Cheat free for 3 days and cravings gone. So maybe I should modify my way of eating to include more dairy? I had tried upping the fat and sticking to paleo but it just didn't do the trick. What does everyone think? Any feedback appreciated.

batgirl
Wed, Jul-28-04, 11:02
As long as you are not experiencing any side effects from the dairy, it should be ok. Especially if you stick to the highest fat dairy. Just be mindful of any joints that are achier (is that a word?), or if your nose gets stuffy, or you chest feels tight, you know all the standard signs of allergies, I'm sure.

I myself had always thought I was lactose intolerant and not sensitive to wheat. But lately I found out this may not be true. I, too, started eating some dairy, and had no problems with it, surprisingly. However, I cheated once with onion rings (batter dipped, of course) recently. By that evening, my chest was so tight I had trouble breathing! So, for me anyway, grain is way worse than dairy. I would much rather eat a little cheese than eating a piece of cake.

Hellistile
Wed, Jul-28-04, 12:43
Batgirl: No my asthma and allergies are not worsened and my knees actually feel better but I think that's because I'm not eating carbs. Now that I am free of carb cravings I will eat less dairy but not eliminate it altogether.

MichaelG
Wed, Jul-28-04, 20:52
Hi, hellistile, your post prompted me to try to find out how long we may have been using cattle for dairy.

Came across an interesting not to mention cute page showing the sorts of animals our ancestors would have found in the wild. It comes from Britain and is charmingly and accurately described as "Animals: a companion for dinner"!

http://www.gallica.co.uk/celts/animals.htm

Cheers
Michael

MichaelG
Thu, Jul-29-04, 02:22
Hi Hellistile , me Michael again,

Something i've been wondering for a while.
Just a personal thing, and it's quite up to you .. a few posts ago you mentioned that although you were born in Yorkshire you were not ethnically British (whatever an ethnic brit is, maybe pict mixed with viking mixed with Norman or whatever). However it piqued my interest because, being a baby boomer I grew up with a lot of migrant's children who came in with the end of the second world war because of labour shortages. Some of my very best mates luxuriated in names like Dave Singh, Paul Chandra and Johnnie Chang and I just wondered which part of the world your parents came from.

Like I said, it's just a personal thing but what I do appreciate is that the influx of people from the former super-important and oh so Superior Empire has made chicken tikka masala the most popular meal in Britain (and it was apparently invented in Glasgow).

Also I lived in Cardiff for ten years and had some good black mates who were sixth or seventh generation Welsh a-la-Shirley Bassey and were as Welsh as a Welsh Cake.

Best Regards
Michael
(Born Pontefract from a long line of anglo_norman_pictish peasants)
Australia

Hellistile
Thu, Jul-29-04, 08:22
Michael: My parents, both unmarried at the time, living in Eastern Europe, and about 18 years of age were forcebly taken into slavery by Hitler in 1942 (when he invaded) and shipped to Germany in cattle cars to work there in factories, farms, etc. Hitler's agenda at the time was that while he killed off the Jews and Gypsies, he would use Slavs as slaves until it was their turn to be eliminated. Their living conditions were left to the whim of whomever they were assigned to (owned by). Upon the end of the war they were herded into displaced persons camps where they luxuriated for a couple of years and were given a choice as to what country they wanted to live in of the countries that agreed to take post-war survivors. They independently chose England, travelled to Yorkshire, found work in textile mills, met each other, married and had me. Mother never wanted to leave England as she really liked the people there. She always told me how the British were very kind to her and helped her immensely, since she spoke no English and was not familiar with the customs. Father didn't like the rainy, foggy, damp weather conditions there and decided in 1953 to immigrate to the Canadian Prairies which closely resembled my parents homeland. My ancestors were probably one of the first peoples on this planet to adopt an agricultural lifestyle, as excavations in my home country have proven. Perhaps this is why my body is better able to tolerate certain carbs and dairy and there is an extremely low incidence of diabetes and absolutely no history of cancer in my family. However, asthma, allergies, heart disease and stroke take about 50% of family members, the other 50% living well into their late 90's. The saving grace to my mind is that my family has historically never liked sugar, sweets, pastries, preferring instead rye bread, potatoes, corn meal, fermented vegetable and dairy products, bone and vegetable broths, saturated fat and animal products of all kinds.

I know, more than you asked for initially, lol but once I started I couldn't stop.

zedgirl
Thu, Jul-29-04, 18:38
The saving grace to my mind is that my family has historically never liked sugar, sweets, pastries, preferring instead rye bread, potatoes, corn meal, fermented vegetable and dairy products, bone and vegetable broths, saturated fat and animal products of all kinds.

Have you read Sally Fallon's book 'Nourishing Traditions'? It full of recipes and information on fermented foods and bone broths etc. It sounds right up your alley.

Hellistile
Fri, Jul-30-04, 08:02
Have you read Sally Fallon's book 'Nourishing Traditions'? It full of recipes and information on fermented foods and bone broths etc. It sounds right up your alley.

I have not read her book but I do frequent the Weston Price Foundation website and am a true believer in a lot of the old traditonal ways of eating because that was how we ate for the first 12-14 years of my life. It didn't help my allergies unfortunately, but for the first 12 years of my life I did not experience a cold, flu or any other illness besides the mumps and the red measles. Didn't get chicken pox, german measles or any other childhood or other diseases and we lived in a very poor, immigrant area. Mom bought raw milk from a local farmer which we drank as is and also let sit on the top shelf of a kitchen cupboard until it soured. This was one of my favorite drinks as a child - sour milk.

MichaelG
Sat, Jul-31-04, 02:40
Hi Hellistile,

thanks for your BIO; had many Polish and East European friends as a boy, we actually had a wooden-building camp (ex army barracks) for "refugees" near us and many of the kids went to my school.

Your last post reminds me of my Yorkshire Gran who would send me down the street to the local farm to get a couple of pints of milk, straight from the cow. When it went sour, it didn't go like smelly socks like todays homogenised stuff, but more like a yogurt flavour.

Many people used to let the milk go sour deliberately to make scones (Americans read: "biscuits") and Yorkshire pudding.

It interests me that in the last ten years as food "standards" have been tightened and everything is now supposed to be bacteria free, suddenly there is a need for us to deliberately take "good bacteria", such as fermented acidophilus drinks.

For heaven's sake, where did people get their good bacteria from 20 thousand years ago before Safeways opened?

Michael
Australia

MichaelG
Sat, Jul-31-04, 02:57
Hellistile:

Me again, and totally off subject, but the Third Reich also had plans apart from exterminating the Slavs. "impure" races such as Scandinavians and particularly the British, who were sort of second class Ayrians, were to be totally uprooted and sent to Brazil and Africa to replace the (presumably exterminated) populations there.

Today we can sit around and talk about nutrition and things but just imagine what the world could possibly be like now if things had gone the other way!

It's nice to be able to talk to someone of my generation who can truly regard each day as a wonderful gift in a relatively "sane" world! Thanks increasingly to the web and related technologies.

Anyway, back to subject.

Cheers

Michael

paula7
Sat, Jul-31-04, 06:20
What a truly sobering history lesson. Did any of you see Band of Brothers? My 12 year old daughter was obsessed with this series, watching every show and asking so many questions about the war. I was very grateful that she took it so seriously. Hanks and Speilberg made it, and they tried to keep it as real and factual as possible.

At the beginning of each show, they had the real men there, the men these shows were about (who were still alive), interviewing them. One man said, when the war ended and he came home (these were all Americans), he didn't care what he did, where he worked or where he lived; didn't worry about taking any chances on business, etc, or losing money, or even losing all he owned---he was alive, and his body worked---he was the luckiest person! And happy just to be alive.

We went to the libray and rented the entire series so we could watch it again without all the commercials. It was just so moving; so real. Yes there was a lot of gore at times, during the battles. But this is something I believe no person in this world should ever forget. It's reality of what could happen if good men do nothing. I want my children to know.

paula