PDA

View Full Version : Protein Power Shakes in Canada!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tamarian
Tue, Oct-31-00, 18:22
Torontarian have found Protein Power shakes at Loblaws with whey protein! Any one in BC found them?

Wa'il

IslandGirl
Sun, Nov-05-00, 21:30
I've found them; a year ago a Real Canadian Superstore (a first for the Island, and the Western version of Loblaws) opened in Colwood. They have the Protein Power shakes for $29.99, Chocolate and Vanilla only I think. Also, the Atkins' Shakes (Chocolate & Vanilla) at $34.99. Both 454g/1pound; both soy & whey protein blends, etc. These are just down from the mini-Diabetes Supplies section (Pharmacy)

In a different section (go figure), Supplements (Pharmacy) are the Canadian DynaWhey products, 907g/2pounds, and $29.99 each! and now in spiffy resealable bags instead of buckets, in Chocolate Banana, Strawberry Kiwi, Orange Vanilla Cream. Two newly carried Dynawhey lines are the EstroSoy (Vanilla) and MenoSoy (Cranberry); I have to get the prices and weights on those yet.

Nancy
Wed, Dec-27-00, 13:56
I live in Eugene, Oregon and will be coming to Vancouver next week. I was wondering where to go shopping for low carb products and anyone have any maps that you could e-mail me. I am looking for orange crush flavored with splenda and crm soda. Also 100% protein gluten. Anyone have any ideas for me, Thanks so very much!!
Nancy

IslandGirl
Fri, Dec-29-00, 14:21
Hi, Nancy.
I live in Victoria, not Vancouver, but have some experience on the shopping front so maybe I can help (sort of).

As far as I know, the Vital Wheat Gluten (proper full name) is max 70-80% protein and the rest carbs/fiber. There is no 100% protein gluten available retail in either the US or Canada. Bob's Red Mill makes it, and I think Arrowhead Mills, both of which should be available in Oregon at a Health Food Store. Nothing specially Canadian about the stuff, it's probably cheaper in the States.

We have Splenda (packets and 'bulk' spoon-for-spoon) as well as the original liquid SugarTwin (cyclamates) easily available here and have had them for many years. The Splenda might be cheaper here than it is in the States, depends where you shop. Both of these items are available in any "drug store"/pharmacy and lots of grocery stores.

I don't know why it is, but only VERY recently have we been able to get Splenda-sweetened goods in Canada, even though we've had the Splenda as a table-top sweetener for so long. Probably because many of the products are formulated and even made in the States, and the whole North American market is (was) geared to Aspartame and then Acesulfame-K. However, I haven't seen any Orange Crush or Cream Soda sweetened with Splenda, YET. I did spot some different Diet-Rite flavours with Splenda & Acesulfame-K on a recent trip to Washington, so probably within the next year or so, as the US products have more and more Splenda, so will the Canadian products.

As for maps, wouldn't do you much good unless you know where in the Vancouver region you're staying. It's big, is Greater Vancouver. I'd recommend you ask for the nearest drugstore or grocery store address to where you are staying, and then get a local map or look up the address on Yahoo maps.

Hope this helps some.

tomsej
Tue, May-11-04, 20:52
Hi,

Maybe the whey shakes are good - but stay away from the soy products. I've tried protein shakes since the late 70's and these are the WORST TASTING shakes I've ever had.

This puzzles me because the bars and cereal are really good.

Go figure ... with Low Carb products, anything is possible.

Tom.