PDA

View Full Version : help starting low carb!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

EWest
Thu, Jul-15-04, 11:53
Hi everyone, I have been vegetarian for about 1 year and have recently just added fish back into my diet... i also eat eggs and dairy. I have 50 pounds to lose so I need all the help i can get :help: How much tofu can you eat on induction , it seems to be high in carbs?

I am also open to anyones thoughts on any other low carb plans besides Atkins which might be more suitable for semi vegs. Thank you

Elsah
Fri, Jul-16-04, 05:59
SBD is a little more veggie friendly for the induction bit because they allow beans but you have to watch fat so it can also make it more difficult. Atkins can be done with a slightly altered induction though. I used the soy veggie products along with tofu even during induction with no problem at all. I also made a lot of different veggie quiches for breakfast to help get me through. Breakfast was also the first place I made changes when I moved to OWL because I am not a huge fan of eggs to begin with. It took months out of induction before I added them back occasionally.

Best of luck to you!

Jenn

EWest
Fri, Jul-16-04, 14:42
Thanks Jenn! That is encouraging. I have looked at the sbd and it does seem to be a little more lenient in what you eat. I will look into that further as I will most likely get bored with what I am eating now. You have done a great job with your weight loss! keep it up :thup:

Thanks Erika

etoiles
Sat, Jul-17-04, 14:16
hello! :wave:

Welcome to the forum!

I have been on atkins a little over a year and have really enjoyed it. Technically, the approved induction list does not say you can have tofu but since I am vegetarian I ate it on induction anyways. it is not high in carbs if you subtract the fiber. Then it is quite low.

I also have eaten veggie 'meats' too, those help give some variety to the meal as well.

There are a lot of great recipes, you just have to check around in the recipe section and see what you can do to add some variety to what you are eating. I always list good recipes in my journal too if you are ever interested.

Good luck with your weight loss success!!!

EWest
Sat, Jul-17-04, 15:11
Hi etoiles! Wow you have done really well on atkins and as a vegetarian. Congratulations on your efforts!! I will definately check out your journal for some recipes.
Thankyou Erika

VegoMum
Thu, Aug-19-04, 04:49
HI Etoiles :wave: i hope its ok to come into your journal. I'm new at this , the forum and low carb vegetarian lifestyle. I read that you did the induction being vegetarian and wondered what you ate to give me a few tips. The more i read the more confused i get :q: . Some things say have high fat like cheese and cream and sour cream etc and others say limit those foods :q: What did you eat to fill you with the allowable vegies :q:
Thanks for reading my intrusion. :) VegoMum. :wave:

etoiles
Thu, Aug-19-04, 07:47
Hi guys! :)

yes feel free to look in my journal. A lot of the pages I try to include recipes or links to them so I hope that can be helpful. Elsah, another vegetarian who I write with also often has good meal tips as well.

Atkins does say to limit cheese type products to 4oz a day (sometimes I go over that) but I would eat the high fat ones for sure. You don't need to start eating the low fat dairy products until you get to maintenance (if even then) and start including more healthy carbs in your diet. Some other low carb diets such as south beach, you do eat low fat dairy, but that is because you consume a greater amount of carb.

Allowable veggies that are filling are up to you. I personally like salad greens, spinach (you can eat a TON of that with few carbs), green beans, and cauliflower. I guess it is your personal taste. There are many veggies out there you can try!

Best wishes to both of you in your weightloss success!! :)