PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news: vegetable oils and Blindness

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MichaelG
Thu, Jul-15-04, 08:06
I posted a similar message on the Paleo / Neanderthin forum and realise that this would be of interest to this current forum.

Apparently in Australia (and possibly other western nations) the sight disorder known as Macular Degeneration (loss of vision starting in the centre of the field of view) was once rare but has increased ten-fold over the last couple of decades, and is now almost an epidemic.

It has now been linked to the consumption of vegetable oils and margarines.

The theory is that optic nerves (nervous tissue is mostly fat) is getting a build up of trans fats and other heat damaged veg oils instead of the natural animal fats they need. These unnatural oils are building up and causing nerve damage in the eyes.

This has been suppressed by the major oil industries but recently a major Australian author, Colleen McCullough has become affected and is kicking up a major stink which has hit the Aus press and will soon be world wide.

To read more, go to:
http://seven.com.au/todaytonight/story/macular2

It will take you a few minutes to load as there are hundreds of thousands of Poeple trying to get on at the moment.

Michael
Australia

bike2work
Thu, Jul-15-04, 16:16
Thanks for posting, Michael. I had heard only that Collen McCullough had been diagnosed with macular degeneration. The link to vegetable oils hasn't been in the press here, I don't think.

My grandmother has macular degeneration and it's hereditary. She's completely blind in one eye and nearly blind in the other.

I wonder if vegetable oils include all non-animal fats. Would they include nut oils or coconut oil? I'll have to look into it further.

ProfGumby
Mon, May-09-05, 21:55
huh, I can see that all making sense...trans fats are worse for you than almost anything, IMHO....

Justin_UGR
Mon, May-09-05, 22:14
Time to eat some animal fat!

Zuleikaa
Tue, May-10-05, 05:39
This has been linked to transfats and soy oils. Just about all fats in Australia have been replaced with soy. It's also been linked with thyroid malfunction in children as young as 6.