PDA

View Full Version : LCing during pregnancy???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

AnjelBaby
Wed, Jul-14-04, 08:35
I posted this on the newbies question area but I guess it would be better asked here.
I am trying to concieve or may already be pregnant.I need to be sure that I do this correctly. I am not neccesarily trying to loose during pregnancy but more so establish a healthy lifestyle so that I won't over gain and blame it on pregnancy. I know I should gain weight for a healthy baby not dispute there but I just need to know some comments from people that have actually done it before. Are the cravings so outrageous that it makes it hard to maintain a healthy way of eating.

My last 2 pregnancies I ate whatever whenever with my only restriction being that I wouldn't get up at night and eat. This time I want to be more health concious to prevent myself from gaining unnecessary weight.

Thanks again

:angel:

A~Hope~
Thu, Jul-15-04, 07:38
I am 6 months pregnant and I had the same concerns as you at first. In fact, the first several months, the cravings were terrible and I wasn't sure I could lc. Then I realized if I wasn't careful, I would gain 80# like I did the first time!

So, I decided to get stricter with my low carbing. It's been wonderful. The last time I went to the dr, I had lost 4#, before that I had lost 2#. So, the only weight that I have gained came from those first 3 months when I was not eating as I should. Right now I weigh about 5# more than when I got pregnant. I have to say, I feel a lot better this time around. My dr is fine with my weight loss so I feel comfortable with what I am doing. I should say that it wasn't my intention to lose, it just kind of happened.

Best of luck to you!!!

msmum1977
Fri, Aug-13-04, 13:14
ON the Atkins site, there is a woman who describes her pregancy LC eating. She ate more dairy (obviously!) in the form of LC yogurt and ate a piece of fruit with her breakfast in the morning. She gained ---are you ready for this 22 lbs total....nixed the fruit after delivery and took the weight off 1 week after delivery.

I ate anything I wanted during pregnancy, and lucky me, gained only 37 lbs (I was already 252 when I conceived). It came off soon after, but I gained it back with a negligent life style.

The most important thing...if you are thinking of conceiving or might be pregnant --- get your pre-natal vitamins ASAP. They have things like folic acid in them that prevent birth defects. Most foods that are fortified with folic acid are breads, pastas, fruit juices...you see where I'm going with this? All high carb fare. Vitamins vitamins vitamins can only help a LC pregnancy. :baby:

redegg
Mon, Sep-13-04, 14:09
The most important thing...if you are thinking of conceiving or might be pregnant --- get your pre-natal vitamins ASAP. They have things like folic acid in them that prevent birth defects. Most foods that are fortified with folic acid are breads, pastas, fruit juices...you see where I'm going with this? All high carb fare. Vitamins vitamins vitamins can only help a LC pregnancy. :baby:

I just wanted to mention that you can get folic acid naturally on a LC diet by eating lots of dark green leafy vegetables. It's much healthier to get the vitamins you need from natural sources rather than supplements when possible, but I would agree that a supplement *in addition to* dark green veggies is a great idea during pregnancy. (And as the March of Dimes points out, "all women who could become pregnant!") :)

Rosean
Wed, Sep-29-04, 14:52
A-Hope
Hey. It sounds like you are doing great. I am only five weeks pregnant and need some suggestions on what to eat and how much. I have already added fruit in and some vegetables. I've been adding the lower carb fruits and vegetables. Can you give me any suggestions? How many carbs do you eat a day. I haven't been counting--I know its more now with the fruit. Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rose

aztecbeuty
Mon, Oct-04-04, 23:25
ohh Rosean can we possibly low carb together? PLEASE!!! I cannot afford to gain tooo much weight!! :help: :wave:

octobersba
Tue, Oct-05-04, 09:10
i'm pregnant also (due june 5th) i had concerns about lc and being pregnant but with some research i've found that sticking around 60 or so carbs is fine. i've been low carb for the better part of 3 years. i had recently gained 20 lbs though as i had been drinking heavily and eating a ton of crap. i learned my lesson real quick though when i found that my size 8's no longer fit me and i now wear a 12. my last pregancy left me at 260 lbs and i won't be letting that happen again.

Rosean
Tue, Oct-05-04, 10:09
Hey Aztecbeuty. Congratulations. How long have you been doing low carb? I've been doing it for almost a year and now am pregnant, so I've had a hard time adjusting to eating more carbs than you are really supposed to. But, I'll do what I need to for the health of the baby. I'm really new at this lc and pregnancy, but I'll help out in anyway I can.

Rose