PDA

View Full Version : Hunter-Gather Diet for Diabetes

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Hellistile
Fri, Jul-09-04, 08:10
Article appeared on Research thread advocating Hunter-Gatherer die for treatment of diabetes:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=2374355#post2374355

MichaelG
Mon, Jul-12-04, 00:23
My doc is a great 'blood' man, and sends me off for all sorts of tests: when he noticed that my resting glucose levels were a tad high, he sent me off for a glucose tolerance test, where I had to drink a bottle of disgustingly syrupy fruit flavoured thing, then sit around and get blood taken and do pees every so often for 3 hours. I passed ok, but as late onset diabetes is becoming more common, and even appearing now in kids, for Heaven's sake, they are pointing the finger squarely at obesity (I still need to lose 10 k, but not actually obese).

Obviously the healthy food pyramid (eat most of cereals, pasta, bread, rice, more bread, preferably all doused or spread with the products of the mega companies that did the so-called research which produced the pyramid) has failed in the case of diabetes, arguably because it has produced the two or three fattest generations ever to inhabit the Western World, so bring on the Hunter Gatherer Pyramid instead!!

One problem I do foresee with large numbers of people changing their w.o.e. is that it can take industries decades to 'take up the slack'. Here's a good example, here in Australia it has long been realised that with our ancient fragile topsoil, hoofed imported animals like cows and sheep are very destructive.
Kangaroos and other marsupials have soft feet like bunnies and do not damage the topsoil.

I have been in Australia for 25 years and it is only in the last couple of years that the message has got through, and there is now a demand for roo meat, with proper abbatoirs and a supply chain to supermarkets. Had roo meat balls the other day.. yum!

Now, imagine how long it would take for agriculture to plant the necessary nut groves, build new meat packing places to process Bison, etc, pay out all the canola farmers and get them to plant woodland suitable for forage-fed pigs..... the mind boggles!

At the moment, rather than embracing these new ideas, agribusiness, as always, is relying on such devices as "Another Atkins Girl Dies" stories to try and slow the decline in bread eating, to take one example.

Cheers

Michael
Australia