PDA

View Full Version : for those on Gluphogage

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jun keater
Sun, Jul-04-04, 06:49
Do you use a Glucose monitor to check your sugar levels?

PollyEster
Sun, Jul-04-04, 16:14
Yes, I check my BG when I wake up, and 2 hours after meals, sometimes at bedtime too.

huxster
Mon, Jul-12-04, 19:19
Hi - I take 2,500 mg of Met a day to help with PCOS. I asked my doctor whether or not monitoring my sugars would help me (my last fasting was 117 - but that was almost 2 years ago - new tests next week). She said that insulin levels couldn't be predicted by sugar readings - my sugars could say normal but my insulin would be sky high. Only after a period of time would my sugars creep up - after my pancreas was not producing enough insulin or the insulin was almost ineffective.

I'm wondering - how does monitoring help you? Are your sugars already high and that's why you check? Just wondering. I'll try anything that helps.

Thanks, Anne

OtistheCat
Wed, Aug-04-04, 19:34
Hi there... perhaps someone can explain some things to me. I am a newly diagnosed Diabetic (2 months). I test my BG 2 to 3 times a day, most of the day it's OK, but in the morning when I first get up it's quite high. I try not to eat late, I test just before bedtime and it'll be good, like 120, but when I test first thing in the AM it's high.... it's never been below 130. Can anyone give me an idea what may be causing my early AM tests? I am not on meds. I am trying to control my Diabetes by losing weight, and eating low carb.
Any information is appreciated. Thanks :wave:

Lisa N
Wed, Aug-04-04, 19:57
I am a newly diagnosed Diabetic (2 months). I test my BG 2 to 3 times a day, most of the day it's OK, but in the morning when I first get up it's quite high. I try not to eat late, I test just before bedtime and it'll be good, like 120, but when I test first thing in the AM it's high.... it's never been below 130. Can anyone give me an idea what may be causing my early AM tests?

It sounds like Dawn Phenomenon to me. You can read more about it here:
http://www.diabetic-talk.org/dp.htm

There have been a number of threads involving the Dawn Phenonemon here in the diabetes forum along with various things that members have tried to improve it. For myself, it seemed to dissipate with the amount of time I stayed on low carb to where my morning blood sugars are only rarely higher than my bedtime readings. Do a search and I'm sure you'll come up with quite a lot of reading on the subject. :)

OtistheCat
Thu, Aug-05-04, 09:20
Thanks Lisa... I'm researching all that I can, and doing whatever I can to "normalize" my BG. I have started with eye involvement, (that's how I found out I was Diabetic). I am hoping that I will be able to bring the BG into "normal" ranges. Thanks again Lisa, I will check on that website. :wave:

OtistheCat
Thu, Aug-05-04, 09:54
Lisa, what great information. The Dawn Phenomenom etc. I had heard of DP but really didn't understand it. Obviously that is what is happening to me. There are ways to control this, the information was in the site you gave me. Thank you so much. :wave: