PDA

View Full Version : Corporate Drug Dealers

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Hellistile
Thu, Jun-24-04, 12:33
My dear fellow hunter-gatherers:

The following website is so interesting and intriguing that I just had to share it with you. Some of the articles are a bit dated (like last year), but oh so well written.

Here is an excerpt with which to "wet your whistle"

"These new discoveries have the potential to bring billion-dollar profits to any pharmaceutical company who can convince medical doctors, the FDA and the American public of the necessity of these new patentable drugs in ensuring health. Considering that these drugs have toxicity profiles that make marijuana and crack look like candy and that natural, inexpensive medicine derived from food are easily accessible and extremely effective, this endeavor looks impossible at first glance."

Let me know what you think.

http://www.newswithviews.com/Ellison/shane9.htm

MichaelG
Fri, Jun-25-04, 05:52
Hi, Hellistile

Exactly true about pushing drugs to the public, especially through the Web. At the moment there is a 'scandal' about the antidepressant "Paxil", a.k.a. "paroxetene" which was supposed to be a good substitute for people who are unable to tolerate Prozac. It appears that false claims were made.

A few years ago I was on a course of paxil because of depression, I am the most calm and polite person imaginable, and after a week on this drug I went to a hardware store and bought a crowbar with the intention of breaking every bone of my neighbour's body (he had a pile of firewood in a place I considered inappropriate!). Fortunately the crowbar is rusting in my shed and I have been off paxil for years, but it shows that companies can fake and misrepresent reports submitted to governments.

Cheers

Michael

Australia

Hellistile
Fri, Jun-25-04, 08:17
Michael: I had a similar reaction to sleeping pills in the early 70's. Within 48 hours of taking them, I became manically suicidal. Nearly committed suicide before realizing it was the pills.

TwilightZ
Mon, Jun-28-04, 19:00
The frightening upshot of all this is that you have millions of people out there driving vehicles, especially the elderly, doped up on all kinds of medication producing who knows what kind of mental or hallucinatory side effects, and all perfectly legal. Statin drugs, i.e. Lipitor, Zocor, etc., for cholesterol, are notorious for causing blackouts, amnesia, and other mental side effects--just think of bus drivers, railroad engineers, and airline pilots on this stuff. And in the name of keeping their employees "healthy," these people with whom we trust our lives are required to take statins if their cholesterol is too high. The terrorists can relax--the pilots will end up killing us.

All I can say is that it's not enough for us to stay healthy anymore--it's a jungle out there and you've constantly got to be on your toes as the rest of population self-destructs.

Hellistile
Tue, Jun-29-04, 08:15
All I can say is that it's not enough for us to stay healthy anymore--it's a jungle out there and you've constantly got to be on your toes as the rest of population self-destructs.

Unfortunately, it's the rest of them that are interfering with our lifestyles by feeding grain, chemicals and antibiotics to animals, prohibiting the sale of raw milk and cheese (if you still do dairy) and making it extremely difficulty for us to get our hands on pure, unadulterated, additive and chemical free edible products. If this insanity continues, statins may be added to our drinking water besides flouride which is already a poison.

I would love to just watch the self-destruction from the sidelines if I could but unfortunately I can't avoid it altogether.