PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

P8STX
Fri, Sep-07-01, 14:40
HI,
I really like this site. I will tell my sob story if anyone is willing to listen. I started Atkins about 8 weeks ago. I have lost 10lbs. I am not starving so that is a plus. My last diet was 1200kals in any food form. I however lost weight but put it back because I was hungry. With Atkins I am not hungry, I do not crave carbs at all, just food and yes surgar. I have been very good haveing aprox 20-25gm of carbs a day give or take. I do use coffemate in my coffee and have been since day one. I just started drinking country time sugar free lemonaid and that has been such a big treat for me as well as sugar free jello. I do cardio 5 days a week for 1hr maybe longer but nothing happens. I feel I should go back to my regular diet. Any suggestions?

BaileyWS
Sat, Sep-08-01, 08:16
I actually logged on this morning to see what others had done about plateaus. I have been following Atkins for 6 weeks now. The first week I lost real fast ... but I haven't lost anything over the last 2 weeks. Is this normal? I'm not cheating at all on the diet and following a pretty strict 20-25 carbs a day. And I've been working out -- a combo aerobic/weight program -- five days a week. I am in ketosis -- according to the ketostix and the awful taste in my mouth. So what's going on?

Anyone who's BTDT?

Natrushka
Sat, Sep-08-01, 08:53
Wendy, check out the Stalls and Plateaus (http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips008.html) article written by Doreen under "Low Carb Tips" at the top of the page.

A stall after the 2 week induction period is not uncommon. Your body is adjusting to your new WOL and is stubbornly hanging on to its fat. It will adjust. Give it some time. In the meantime, have you been taking measurements? It is quite normal to lose no lbs and yet drop inches. Taking meausrements also helps to motivate when those pesky scales do not cooperate.

Hang in there!
Nat

BaileyWS
Sat, Sep-08-01, 09:57
Thanks Nat.

I found the TIPS article soon after I posted -- it is really good. A couple of things I have to try. 1) be real good about drinking my water and not skipping meals. 2) keep a good food diary -- I even downloaded a carb tracking program into my PALM so I can use it everywhere -- just haven't been using it. :-(

It could also be the exercise program. I started four weeks ago. On Monday (after 3 weeks) I was weighed and measured. I had lost 6.5 pounds and 7.5 inches. But I didn't really see the plateau until these last two weeks. I suppose it could be that I'm building muscle :-)

For those who take measurements .... how often do you measure? I get the measurements done every month at the exercise program -- but that's still another 3 weeks away!

I'm going to hang in there and see how it goes. Thanks for the support.