PDA

View Full Version : Baked Breakfast Custard

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Alina_V
Sun, Jun-20-04, 23:14
I found this recipe here http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/breakfast113.html
some time ago and tried it four or five times. I think it's great. I simply copied it from that site now, but you can try to change it to make it your own cooking invention.

1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup whey protein powder
1/2 teaspoon stevia
1 1/2 cups soy milk
1 2/3 cups cottage cheese
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine milk, protein powder, stevia and soy milk. Add eggs and beat well. Place five custard bowls in one inch of water in a baking pan. Spoon 1/3 cup cottage cheese into each bowl. Pour in the liquid mixture, dividing evenly. Give each bowl a stir. Bake at 300 in the pan of water for one hour.

protein 17.6 g
carbohydrates 4.6 g
fibre 1 g
effective carbohydrates 3.6 g
With soy milk instead of whipping cream
protein 17.8 g fibre 1.3 g
carbohydrates 4.4 g effective carbohydrates 3.1 g

Maffie
Wed, Mar-14-07, 11:30
I am definitely going to try this recipe. I just started Atkins and I am finding breakfast to be the most difficult meal of the day! My husband thinks I'm nuts since his idea of breakfast is bacon and eggs every morning! Anyway, this is a silly question but here goes... what is stevia?

MuskokaGal
Thu, Mar-22-07, 04:51
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 c 1/2 and 1/2 or cream
3 tsp Splenda or other heat stable sweetener
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg, cinnammon or pumpkin pie spice

Lightly beat the egg and yolk. Add rest of ingredients expect nutmeg. Pour into two ungreased 6 ounce custard cups. Spinkle with nutmeg. Set in pan containing 1/2 to 1 inch of hot water. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until set.

Yield 2 servings.

This recipes is from on on-line low carb cookbook that I downloaded but I do not have the count. It is YUMMO!

Kisal
Thu, Mar-22-07, 06:42
what is stevia?This link gives a good description of the history and usage of stevia. Unfortuately, they also want to sell it to you. Read the information, and if you decide you want to buy some, just look around until you find the best price. It's commonly available. You might even be able to find it in a grocery store or health food store in your town.

http://www.vitabase.com/supplements/vitamins-minerals/herbs/stevia.aspx

Maffie
Fri, Mar-23-07, 07:26
Thank you MuskokaGal and Kisal! I will go to the health food store this afternoon and see if they carry Stevia and tomorrow morning I'm going to try the custard! Have a great weekend.