PDA

View Full Version : PREGNANT-Overweight-Help

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Bambi
Fri, Sep-07-01, 05:16
Hello
Just throught I would introduce myself, Im Bambi and currently not on any diet, (no not because Im weak lol) but because Im 21 weeks pregnant, I have not been able to find anything positive about dieting while pregnant. Yes this upsets me. Anyway back in January I gave up smoking and really put the weight on, so February arrives and I now weigh 239 pounds, enough is enough, I started the Atkins diet, and over a period of time lost 22 pounds, and not trying, fell pregnant. Silly me also started smoking, so Ive gone a fill circle. Anyway while been pregnant I have gained 8.8 pounds, yes I know this is good, Im meant to gain weight, but when you already weigh 225 pounds????

What harm can there be I was six weeks pregnant before relising I was pregnant, so therefor there is six weeks of being on atkins while been pregnant. I really really do not want to be elephant size. Any positive remarks welcome, And hey its good to see the progress going on out there.

td2227
Fri, Sep-07-01, 06:31
I have just had my baby and I know exactly how you feel. I was so scared of going over the 100kg mark. I'm pretty sure I did but I just didnt let anyone weigh me towards the end. I told them if they weighed me I would end up crying and depressed for a month. They tried to force me to be weighed, because they said if I needed an emergency c-section the anaesthetist would need to know my weight, So I let them weigh me then but they were not allowed to tell me or write it on my card.

I waited until my baby was four weeks old then started on Atkins last week. I have lost 9 pounds in the week and feel so positive. I was really scared that I wouldn't be able to do it because I have so much weight to loose. Of course it is quite easy.

Just try not to worry about your weight, tell yourself you will deal with it once you have had the baby. Its the only thing I could do. I know how hard it is but as soon as you have your baby you will be able to get in and get rid of your weight!!!

:)

Tracie

deelight_99
Fri, Sep-07-01, 08:28
I'm not sure if it's safe to be in Ketosis while pregnant, but you can certainly cut out all sugar and "white" foods from your diet. That can't harm you in any way. It might also prevent you from gaining any more.

I'm sorry that you are in such emotional pain. I've never been pregnant but I know the emotional pain of being overweight.

I hope you find some peace and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

Deanna

Natrushka
Fri, Sep-07-01, 08:48
Hello Bambi, and welcome to the forum; you'll find all kinds of support and information. In fact, here's some right now : http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3840
This is a link to a discussion on LC and pregnancy. It should address most of your questions and concerns.

Congrats on your success and on your family addition!
Nat

Bambi
Sat, Sep-08-01, 02:46
:thup:

I just wanted to say thanks to the women that took enough intrest to reply to my post,

And this is what I have decied to do,
:confused:

Drink plenty of water, (being my only fliud intake)
and cut out the "sugars" and "whites"
eat heaps of vegies fruit and yes thats right Meat,

I will be brave and weigh myself, watching the weight and make sure I dont go into Ketosis, and keep you all informed on what happens,

:wave: Bambi

Sharon
Sun, Sep-16-01, 20:12
HI Bambi...I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant. I was put on a "diabetic" diet of 2400 calories a day...no sweets, no treats, you know what I mean. Anyways, I lost weight ....amazingly not even trying...I was eating 6 meals a day, following exactly what I was told I could eat from the charts. When I came home from the hospital I had to get my watch band made smaller as it didn't fit me!! I don't recommend that for anybody....but at the time I was 29 and for me just by cutting out the sugars I was able to lose weight. Now that I'm older...this wouldn't work for me quite as easily, I know it!!!!

In my opinion, don't worry about the weight while you're pregnant...just try and eat what you need to be healthy for you and your baby. You can make losing weight your next project!!!

We'll still be here to help you with your Low Carb journey after your baby is born.... In the meantime, read everything you can here and feel free to participate in all the discussions.... You'll be an expert by the time you get into really living this way of life.

Best wishes to you...

:bhug:

Aussie Jo
Mon, Nov-05-01, 18:05
Hi there all,

It's been quite I will since I have logged onto the forum, simply because I have been so busy. I have been amazed at how much the Aussie section has now taken off. There was almost just a private conversation going on between 2 of us for a couple of months.

Anyway, thought I would report my news. I have two children aged 3 and 20 months and with each pregnancy I kept finding I couldn't shift the last 5 kilos or so. Anyway, at the peak of my 2nd pregnancy I hit a whopping 105 kilos (when my pre-child bearing days weight was 69-70kg). I started following Atkins in April this year and now weigh in at 65kg's.

I am only 1 kg heavier than I was when I was married 8 years ago. I have lost 15 kg's since April. As I am quite tall this puts me in size 10 clothes and I am over the moon. So many people are asking me what I am doing that I am starting to think I should be making a commission from Atkins as I know quite of lot of people have since bought his book.

I am planning to have a 3rd baby next year and am convinced I will not experience the same weight gain next time. I am simply going to make sure that I eat at maintenance level and hopefully things will be fine!

I am also pleased to see that in recent months more low carb foods are coming onto the Australian market. Most notably in the confectionary area. So for those of you who love chocolate hop into Darrell Lea as they now have sugar free choc coated almonds & macadamias and fruit drops. Double D are also making a huge range of hard lollies so check them out to.

If anyone else who has been pregnant whilst eating the low carb was has any other advise to give I will be more than appreciative.

Thanks to all

Joanne :wave:

Bambi
Tue, Nov-06-01, 02:27
HI Joanne,

Joanne (Bambi) here from NZ, I have managed to find a great group, ( not that this one isent) The group is for pregnant, breastfeeding and women trying to get pregnant while low carbing, such as atkins, protein powerand so on, anyway if you would like to know more email me at jo-bambi~internet.co.nz

Regards Bambi

Aussie Jo
Sun, Dec-23-01, 16:14
Bambi,

Thanks for your note- tried emailing you but my PC didn't like the short cut & wouldn't send. Would like the details of the group in your post. I am planning to try & get pregnant with number 3 in Jan/Feb.

Merry Xmas

Jo

Bambi
Mon, Dec-24-01, 02:12
Hi, Bambi here again

anyway the group is PregnantAtkids, and they are at yahoo groups.com

I hope this helps, good luck with the baby making and I may see you at yahoo groups.

Aussie Jo
Sun, Jan-13-02, 19:55
Bambi,

Thans for the information. Will check it out as soon as I get time.

Jo.