PDA

View Full Version : Pesco Vegetarians/no red meat, pork or poultry, join me!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sweetmango
Thu, Jun-17-04, 15:42
:) I read some info on vegetarians, this was a plan close to what I was doing already,I do eat seafood and fish, dairy, and atkins plan included, vegetarian way, this is a life time change for me, and I am so glad I was referred to this site, more of kind of pen pals :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: i started really getting into my paln june 7th, I try to eat chicken again could not tolerate it, let's continue to support each other!! I do need some pen pals. I also enjoy mod. exercise, weights, walking , some arobics!! :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

sweetmango
Thu, Jun-17-04, 16:08
:) I read some info on vegetarians, this was a plan close to what I was doing already,I do eat seafood and fish, dairy, and atkins plan included, vegetarian way, this is a life time change for me, and I am so glad I was referred to this site, more of kind of pen pals :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: i started really getting into my paln june 7th, I try to eat chicken again could not tolerate it, let's continue to support each other!! I do need some pen pals. I also enjoy mod. exercise, weights, walking , some arobics!! :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

This plan just fits more into the plan I want to do for the rest of my life, We can still share ideas, since we all have eliminated meats , but still eat fish/seafood mostly or not eating any animal products, This site has a lot more in common compare to the others that are meat eaters, and are not planning to change any ways soon. :thup: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

sweetmango
Thu, Jun-17-04, 16:22
In order to continue loosing weight my carb level should remain under 80 , no more than 20, I only eat fish/seafood, any sugestions. :)

Ollie179
Thu, Jun-17-04, 21:05
I, too, am a pesco vegetarian. In the Judaic tradition fish is considered "nuetral". (Of course shellfish is strictly forbidden). I love smoked salmon and I often have a generous portion of it with 2oz. cream cheese for breakfast. Kippers are another delightful food and a real flavor treat for breakfast. Sautee them in butter and serve them with eggs for breakfast. :yum: Sometimes I enjoy a huge scoop of tuna salad on a bed of lettuce and some tomato and raw onion slices for lunch.
If you're eating you can always order a fish entre. Most restaurants prepare delicious fish meals. :agree:
If you're Jewish ( even if you're not for that matter) you might enjoy a nice peice of "gefillte fish" with horseradish for a lunch or a snack. Just check the sugars and carb count on the label. Not every brand is low carb.
I hope I helped you somewhat in your quest for ideas as to how to vary your diet in fishy ways. Best of luck to you.
Cheers!

sweetmango
Fri, Jun-18-04, 07:55
Have you heared of a raw fish call lox , expensive , the last time I had purchase some was in omaha, Nebraska, does any of the food store serve it here in their deli's.

sweetmango
Fri, Jun-18-04, 07:57
Captain d's and red lobster, any good ideas from their menus. i eat a lot of their fish, of course no fries or hush puppies.

sweetmango
Fri, Jun-18-04, 07:58
I try to keep my carb level between 20-60, How about you? :thup:

Ollie179
Fri, Jun-18-04, 08:43
Have you heared of a raw fish call lox , expensive , the last time I had purchase some was in omaha, Nebraska, does any of the food store serve it here in their deli's.

The smoked salmon I mentioned is what is also called lox. Lox technically is not raw fish, it is smoked fish. It is also 100% delicious. As I said I enjoy a plate of lox with 2 oz. cream cheese, lettuce,tomato, raw onion slices and olives. This is a meal fit for royalty in my opinion.
I have to try to keep my carbohydrate intake to the 20 gram level. I am having a great deal of difficulty losing any weight thus far, but I am reaping other health benifits such as lowered cholesterol etc. I'm hoping that by following induction strictly my body will eventually respond and start dropping the excess poundage.
Cheers! :wave:

has
Sun, Oct-17-04, 16:10
I have been a pesco vegetarian for 14 years and haven't heard
of anyone else until now. My fiance loves to tell people that I a Veggie
on Atkins for the reaction. You are on Atkins and you don't eat red
meat, chicken or pork? What do you eat? Black soy beans are quite
low in carbs, about 2 net grams per 1/4 cup I think. I remember a long
time ago someone posted about an East Indian bean that was also low.
Does anyone recall the name? Or any other low carb bean? I would
like some new variety!

nutty
Mon, Oct-18-04, 00:50
has, the Indian bean that I think you are talking about is "chana dahl" or "chana dal", it has a glycemic index of 5, which is lower than peanuts and soybean.

I am low carb veggie and my staples are: nuts, flax meal, nutritional yeast (which has truck loads of vitamins), unsweetened soymilk, and of course veggies and 1-2 fruits/day. Surprisingly, I don't really eat fake meat products at all. tofu? occasionally, they are so NOT flavorful compared to those I grew up with (am Asian). I only eat cheese if they are on sale and don't eat eggs at all. I think my protein intake is not very high but my healthy fat intake is pretty darn good :yum:

sweetmango
Tue, Oct-19-04, 05:59
As of October 21st, I drop poultry from my diet, I am a vegetarian now only eat fat free cheese and Yogurt, do you eat any dairy, what is typical breakfast and lunch for you daily. :cool:

sweetmango
Tue, Oct-19-04, 06:04
Having any luck staying around 20 carb level. I am probally at 60 carb level :wave:

sweetmango
Tue, Oct-19-04, 06:06
has, the Indian bean that I think you are talking about is "chana dahl" or "chana dal", it has a glycemic index of 5, which is lower than peanuts and soybean.

I am low carb veggie and my staples are: nuts, flax meal, nutritional yeast (which has truck loads of vitamins), unsweetened soymilk, and of course veggies and 1-2 fruits/day. Surprisingly, I don't really eat fake meat products at all. tofu? occasionally, they are so NOT flavorful compared to those I grew up with (am Asian). I only eat cheese if they are on sale and don't eat eggs at all. I think my protein intake is not very high but my healthy fat intake is pretty darn good :yum:

:wave: How do you fix tofu!!! :wave: Do you not care for eggs , or you have another reason :wave: Do you take any vitamins, I feel tired a lot, I do take calcium/vitamin pill. :wave:

nutty
Tue, Oct-19-04, 16:36
Hi sweetmango :wave:

I like tofu sirfried with green onion and soy sauce

I don't eat egg because they make a mess :D I don't care it enough to bother, so. But I eat it in mayo and ice cream though :yum:

Yeah for dropping poultry! :thup:

has
Tue, Oct-19-04, 23:30
Thanks Nutty for thinking of Chana Dal, I will go looking for some this week.
I eat a lot of the same, I guess that's a no-brainer. I love nuts and seeds &
will drink up to 3 cups of unsweetened soy milk a day. I used to use Engevita
yeast for its nutritional qualities but fell out of the habit. Are there other
yeasts you find help balance your diet. If so I am interested in hearing
about nutritional yeasts. Oh yeah, the soy balognas yuck! I will eat some
of the prepared burgers like Bocca or Moneys though, they are pretty good.
What do you think of the soy cheese? I haven't found one I really like yet.
Sometimes I have to pretend to like it to keep My Mom's cholesterol intake
low! Mom it's great it's just like real cheese!

has
Tue, Oct-19-04, 23:53
As of October 21st, I drop poultry from my diet, I am a vegetarian now only eat fat free cheese and Yogurt, do you eat any dairy, what is typical breakfast and lunch for you daily. :cool:

I hope this works, I haven't "quoted" before. A typical breakfast is:1-1 1/2 T
Flaxseed, Textured Vegetable Protein and wheat bran 1T splenda, 1/2 C water
dash cinnamon microwaved for 1 minutes topped with soy milk
or Egg beaters with Cheese & grilled veggies or Veggie Quiche or
Low carb bread with peanut or almond butter
Lunch and usually on the road (I am a new home salesperson)
Low carb wrap or salad from fast food restraurant, or Deli food:Nuts Olives cheese, fresh veggies, smoked salmon, tuna, casear or greek salads
In a real pinch a low carb bar or shake will fill the void!
I have got so many great recipies on this forum. I am so glad its here.

nutty
Wed, Oct-20-04, 15:21
What do you think of the soy cheese? I haven't found one I really like yet.

I haven't found one that doesn't bite back yet, they are so darn pricy for that little package! I don't care them enough to buy any. Nutritional yeast is also a great source of protein and fiber, and it has that "cheesy" taste that I like :D

has
Tue, Oct-26-04, 12:13
[QUOTE=nutty]has, the Indian bean that I think you are talking about is "chana dahl" or "chana dal", it has a glycemic index of 5, which is lower than peanuts and soybean.

Glycemic index of 5 you say. How does that translate to carb count?
I haven't found it in any books or on the carb counter websites. I am
going to be more carefull about carbs for a while. I kinda got off track
by going to a wine tasting dinner and a party in the same weekend!
Thanks for the info.
Heidi

pecan
Wed, Oct-27-04, 20:18
i'm a pesco veg

i recently have upped my carbs to 150 per day (difference now in the way i eat, having learned from low carbing, is to choose healthy carbs) so my breakfasts and lunches would probably be too high in carbs for induction. i actually never went below 40g per day, and i'll tell you why: sometimes it's hard to get enough fat as a veggie. the extra carbs will compensate, so don't overstress yourself.

on another note, nobody likes soyco'ssoy cheese? i've tried a few which i didn't like, but these are good.

has
Fri, Oct-29-04, 10:35
Hi Pecan. I am willing to try another Soy cheese, but I con't think I have
ever seen that brand. I'll look for it. I remember once reading that eating
too much Soy can lead to hormonal inbalances. Do you know anything about
that?

mom2four
Fri, Oct-29-04, 17:55
A Question, What is a pesco vegetarian? I have to admit you have me stumped there. ((In Health)) Judy

DerBlumers
Sat, Oct-30-04, 16:34
Pesco Vegetarian = a vegetarian who also eats fish and seafood...

I was a pesco vegetarian before I switched to Atkins over a year ago....and it was really rough to add the meat ... and now, after reading "A Week in the Zone" by Dr Barry Sears....a thought occurred to me....perhaps I had been doing the veggie thing all wrong...and that's why I wasn't getting healthier or losing any weight. I am seriously considering going back to being pesco vegetarian....but this time doing it LOW CARB....perhaps a little more like the SoyZone....or a modified Atkins....and I will look for that book you all are talking about!!!! :)

pecan
Mon, Nov-01-04, 09:14
has, i posted my thoughts on soy here: http://forums.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=206627

that brand, soyco, also makes almond and rice cheese, which you may want to look into if you are worried about soy. i've tried the rice butter and it's pretty good.

http://www.galaxyfoods.com/soyco.html

derblumers, i did the same thing...was doing vegetarianism all wrong, lost almost all my muscle and was nothing but a blob of fat! lost 15 pounds but gained a ton of muscle doing it RIGHT. i basically do modified atkins and rely a lot on TVP, tofu, and egg/whey protein.

has
Mon, Nov-01-04, 21:14
Thanks, Pecan that makes things a little clearer to read your thoughts on soy.

Redbeard
Thu, Nov-25-04, 12:33
Haven't had "red meat" for over 20 years now, but I do gnaw on a dead chicken or fish whenever I have the opportunity.
Low carb isn't terribly difficult for me, except when my wife tries to make meatloaf out of ground turkey burger. That stuff just plain tastes NASTY.

Redbeard
Thu, Nov-25-04, 12:36
BTW, I wouldn't mind giving up fowl if I could find some other sources of protein that didn't make me gag. I can only tolerate SO MUCH fish in a week, so I'd have to get something that is filling, low carb and tolerable to eat.

sweetmango
Thu, Dec-09-04, 13:41
hey guys I am back trying to be more of a veggie, I have been eating grilled chicken and turkey, :wave: help :wave: :o So today I am going to get back on track!!

vegilious
Fri, Dec-10-04, 09:40
I just became a pesco vegitarian any tips, recipies, suggestions on sticking with it?
You know I read that pescos are not really considered TRUE vegitarians because we eat fish/seafood. I was sort of upset when I read this.

Redbeard
Fri, Dec-10-04, 11:36
Hey vegi, don't let it bother you. It's just a label. For me, the real advantage comes from avoiding any mammal meat.
I found some great low carb pasta, I cook up some mushrooms in butter and garlic and pour it over the top and serve it with a little grilled chicken and some steamed veggies. It's great and I don't even feel like I'm dieting.
The pasta is called "Dreamfields" and my wife picked it up at Wallyworld's Super Center. It really isn't bad stuff. Doesn't even taste like low carb. Hmmm... maybe I better check it out more carefully.

Redbeard
Fri, Dec-10-04, 11:38
But then, I love ANYTHING cooked in garlic and butter. I'd even try an old shoe... ok, almost anything. Still can't do snails.

vegilious
Fri, Dec-10-04, 13:57
How do I put a URL under my messages like the one above from ticker central? I went to the cite and created one but I dont know how to include it here?

angeljandy
Wed, Jan-19-05, 17:50
I eat an occasional fish but other than that it's strictly veggies, raw nuts, tofu and beans. I feel better when I eliminate all dairy.
Hugs, Angel

sweetmango
Thu, Jan-20-05, 07:13
I have to cook for my family , and I taste the meat to make sure it is flavored correctly, I am a vegetarian majority of the time , fish every now and then :agree: Do you have this problem or everyone is a veggan around you!! :agree:

Redbeard
Thu, Jan-20-05, 17:59
... I feel better when I eliminate all dairy.
I have to agree with you about the dairy. I don't do well if I have very much. Give me a half a cup of milk and I'll be miserable all day, and beef, pork, lamb, venison makes my arthritis worse and now that i haven't had red meat for so long it even makes me nauseous. But I have to admit that I still love the smell of a steak on the grill. I'm weak, but I'm trying.

sweetmango
Fri, Jan-21-05, 07:07
I like fluffy , you may my day! :lol:

Redbeard
Fri, Jan-21-05, 11:28
My daughter sent that to me in a birthday card. She and I had gone to a weight loss doctor together. She was only dropping about 15 pounds, and I needed the major program.

sweetmango
Mon, Jan-24-05, 07:11
:help: Some times I feel tired, sluggish, do you take any thing special for energy, I do take a multi-vitamin, b6,zinc, anyting you all may suggest, Nuts are full of fat, do you all eat raw nuts, I hate tofu, I like veggie burgers :wave:

Redbeard
Sat, Feb-05-05, 16:54
Getting on LC can cause a little loss of energy and stamina at first, but just keep it up and do whatever exercise you can and before you know it you'll be feeling normal again, or in my case, better than "normal".
It takes a little commitment, but after your body quits complaining about no blood sugar, you'll be fine.
I had a physical 2 weeks ago and didn't tell them that I was LC'ing until after the blood work came back. They told me that EVERYTHING looked great and that it couldn't possibly be better.
No hint of:
diabetes (which runs in my family)
Kidney disease (which doesn't run in my family)
or any other diseases incident to age.

jenvieve
Sun, Mar-06-05, 21:33
Hello.
I'm not truly a veggie, being pescetarian, but here is my quandry: As a musician who sings while playing the piano for hours at a time, I need to find a way to keep my energy going without having huge amounts of dairy (too much makes my voice cloudy).

I have lost weight (size 12 to size 6) over the past two years by my own sort of French/Euro small portions thing, but now that I'm playing more shows, I can't sustain my energy with like one slice of bread, know what I mean?

So, I am really into checking out the world of low-carb as it is applies to my fish eating, piano playing self.

Your thoughts are most appreciated.

pecan
Mon, Mar-07-05, 11:14
hi jenvieve! that was my name in french class back in high school, just had to share that :D

i'm a pesco-vegetarian too, and i find the low carb lifestyle to be quite compatible with it. my protein sources come from all forms of seafood, low-lactose cottage cheese (and other low lactose dairy sources), eggs, and legumes. a lot of the veggie products are also great. the only problem you could potentially run into is not eating enough fat (since most fish is lean as are our other protein sources), so be sure to include in your diet olive oil and avocados, fatty fish, and a moderate amount of nuts and seeds.

good luck to you!

sweetmango
Tue, Mar-08-05, 07:31
hi jenvieve! that was my name in french class back in high school, just had to share that :D

i'm a pesco-vegetarian too, and i find the low carb lifestyle to be quite compatible with it. my protein sources come from all forms of seafood, low-lactose cottage cheese (and other low lactose dairy sources), eggs, and legumes. a lot of the veggie products are also great. the only problem you could potentially run into is not eating enough fat (since most fish is lean as are our other protein sources), so be sure to include in your diet olive oil and avocados, fatty fish, and a moderate amount of nuts and seeds.

good luck to you!

I had completely drop chicken and fish I feel so tired , maybe you right I need something else , I do eat nuts .

jenvieve
Thu, Mar-10-05, 00:00
I am paranoid about gaining old weight back (which I had previously lost through smaller portions, more water, and a bit of walking and yoga (French Women Don't Get Fat kind of thing).
Good ideas on nuts and avocados and all of that.
Do you let yourself have carbs in small portions?
So nice to chat with other pescos...

sweetmango
Thu, Mar-10-05, 08:18
I am paranoid about gaining old weight back (which I had previously lost through smaller portions, more water, and a bit of walking and yoga (French Women Don't Get Fat kind of thing).
Good ideas on nuts and avocados and all of that.
Do you let yourself have carbs in small portions?
So nice to chat with other pescos...

yes I do I am trying to do veggie style completely, but it is hard for me to give up a grilled chicken salad sometimes, my weakness , I do eat fish I really have cut out fried, limit my sugar intake ,dairy and starches, i eat yogurt that is about all , only swiss or mozzerello if I have to have it. :wave: