PDA

View Full Version : pastrami

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bluugirl
Thu, Sep-06-01, 14:14
can someone enlighten me and tell me what is pastrami made of? thanks. I had some today for lunch :)

doreen T
Thu, Sep-06-01, 14:49
Pastrami is beef brisket that has been seasoned and dry-cured. It's similar to corned beef. Sugar or dextrose is often one of the seasoning ingredients, but usually only in small amounts.

According to our carb counter, pastrami can have anywhere from 1 to 3g carbs per 100g portion, which is about 3½ oz. I figure it's safest to assume 1g per oz.

Doreen

Karen
Thu, Sep-06-01, 16:17
I thought it was made out of cow udders! ;)

Karen

bluugirl
Thu, Sep-06-01, 17:41
sheesh is nothing without sugar? anyway my concern was if it had pork..but i didn't think so..it's too dark to be pig meat. :D

cocoa8
Thu, Sep-06-01, 18:53
here's an answer for you

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question298.htm

doreen T
Thu, Sep-06-01, 18:57
Thanks cocoa! Just Bookmarked it.

Doreen

debbiedobson
Fri, Sep-07-01, 13:16
one of my favourite sandwiches was a rueben! now i make a rueben casserole. i layer pastrami, sourkraut and swiss cheese and either bake it or nuke it until the cheese melts and it's warmed through. i don't miss the bread!