PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow is the first day....

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gonnabefit
Fri, Jun-04-04, 17:46
of the rest of my life... I have decided to kick the nasty ole habit of smoking... I know it is going to be hard... hell it is going to be down right killer but I figure if I could give up the bar laden foods that I used to eat, stick with this WOE for almost 22 months, and have the courage to try many new things I figured I can quit smoking.... I am here for the long road... I know I can do it... I am ready...

Anybody that could give me some encouragement along the way it would be most appreciated!! :D

Julie-- Determined to Kick the Habit!

BlitzedAng
Sat, Jun-05-04, 09:38
You can do it Julie.. I myself am on day 15. If ya need a quit smoking buddy just call on me :) and wtg on the loss, youv done an amazing job.
I smoked for 21 years,uhg. Now I am on that long road to recovery.. Best of luck to you.

Angel

gonnabefit
Sat, Jun-05-04, 09:42
Angel thanks for the post... Well I have been up for almost 7 hours and have only had 2 cigarettes... I know... I didn't make it but I am going to... considering in those 7 hours I would have easily had 10 cigarettes if not more smoked. So I am driving to stay busy... Thanks again! I will post tonight how I did for the day.

Julie

BlitzedAng
Sat, Jun-05-04, 14:42
I sunscribed to this thread so I can check up on ya, hehehe. And I know what you mean, cause I had cut down too before quitting. Im here if ya need to vent. It's a tough battle.

Angel

gonnabefit
Sat, Jun-05-04, 15:03
Okay well I have been doing okay today but I have smoked 4 cigarettes.... I have been up for 13 hours which by this time I would have had almost a whole pack up in smoke if not the whole pack.... So I figure it will get easier!!

Thanks for the support!!

I will let you know at the end of the night how I did.... please feel free to post any encouraging words you can! ;)

Juls

gonnabefit
Sat, Jun-05-04, 18:22
Well it is 7:30 and in 16 1/2 hours I have had 6 cigarettes.. so much for quitting smoking but I am proud of myself anyhow... I would have had a pack and half done by now....

So not too bad!!!

I will check in tomorrow!!

Juls :D

gonnabefit
Sun, Jun-06-04, 16:14
Okay it is 5:17 p.m. on day 2 of quitting smoking and I have had 9 cigarettes.. not as good as yesterday but I am starting to get busy and going to go walking again so I will hopefully be preoccupied... I hope to only have one more tonight at the most to finish with 10...

My plan for tomorrow... to have one cigarette in the house.. If I chose to smoke it first thing in the morning well so be it.. That just means I am done for the day... I hopefully will make it until later in the day if I smoke one at all...

I will let you all know how it goes tonight for the rest of the day!!

Juls :rolleyes:

Kharma
Sun, Jun-06-04, 19:07
Hi Juls,

That's great you want to stop smoking, but I think you're making it way harder on yourself than it needs to be. I C&Ped this post I made the other day on a different thread, it might help you:

At the risk of sounding like an annoying broken record on the smoking threads, please consider getting Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking book.

I smoked 1-1.5 packs a day for 22 years, and never thought I'd be able to stop. This book was a lifesaver, in more ways than one. I quit Jan 5th and haven't had one smoke since, nor have I wanted to (for real).

Here are links to the book. I included the UK Amazon link too, because he's actually an English author and better know there :)

Allen Carr Barnes & Noble (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?BG=Y&srefer=&isbn=076071200X). (scroll down for reviews)

Amazon.co.UK(Carr) (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0140277633/customer-reviews/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2_cp/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/202-9094020-9217415) (scroll down for reviews)

I found the book in paperback at my local Barnes & Noble. I think it was only around $7 or so.

BTW, Allen Carr strongly advices a person not quit while they are reading the book, but to wait until they finish. That was a suggestion I personally liked LOL

BlitzedAng
Mon, Jun-07-04, 05:45
You can do it.. gonnabefit.. I knew myself and had to rid the house of EVRYTHING smoke related. I can't even light a candle for cripes sake,lol.. Stay strong :)

Angel

gonnabefit
Mon, Jun-07-04, 17:37
Hey Gang!!

Kharma thanks for the information... I will be checking for them...

Angel thanks for the continued support... about 6:45 p.m. here and only 4 smokes... I am very proud of myself... I figure by Wednesday/ THursday at the latest I should be smoke free :D

Thanks again,

Marge
Mon, Jun-07-04, 21:21
Make it today as tomorrow never gets here... (as I am so kindly reminded ever time I say tomorrow)

Janetly
Mon, Jun-07-04, 21:51
A few things that helped me to quit and stay quit (other than welbutrin!).
1) Pay attention to how people who smoke smell. If you've been away from it for a while, and say the cashier at the gas station smoked, pay attention to it and how truly sickening it smells.
2) Stop smoking in your house immediately. I dont care if it is 20 below - stop smoking in your house. That way when you go to smoker's houses you'll notice how dusty and dank they smell.
3) Brush your teeth every time you want to smoke, or swish with listerine
4) Drink LOTS of water
5) Remember that your addiction is exactly that, an addiction and you'll have to fight it tooth and nail to win. It is NOT stronger than you are.
6) If you want a smoke so bad you're in tears, go run up and down the stairs and then listen to yourself breath - i promise it wont be pretty.
7) Chew the crap out of pencils or straws to help with the oral fixation.
8) I gained all my weight back (thus the reason for this forum!) when I quit, so dont freak out if you gain weight. You are a million times healthier not smoking than you would be a few pounds lighter (besides you're already working on that).
9) Do not ever give up. You might struggle and struggle and struggle, but one day you'll get tired of the fight and simply be done with it.
10) As as smoker, right now you have the most god awful breath in the whole neighborhood. I dont care how much listerine you use, how many altoids you eat, or how much gum you chew - you smell HORRIBLE. Remember that.

Good luck, lots of big hugs and warm thoughts. Eventually, you'll be fine!

gonnabefit
Tue, Jun-08-04, 05:37
Well I finished with only 5 cigarettes yesterday... the sad thing is... they were nasty tasting and really didn't "do" anything for me... It is just such a habit... but I am not strong enough to not have any around... They are in my car in the garage so that helps... We have washed up and put away all the ashtrays and this evening I will be febreezing the whole house and closets and such... I would also like to maybe paint the walls and such.... I jsut wish it was cooler outside so we could open up the house and air it out... later this week it is only supposed to be in the mid 80's so maybe then....

Janetly, thank you so much for the tips... I have printed them out!!

Thanks everyone for your encouragement!!

gonnabefit
Tue, Jun-08-04, 20:47
Okay I think I am on my way... I have been smoke free for 10 hours.... woohoo!!!

I have got rid of all the ashtrays, sprayed my house with Febreeze, and have no access to cigarettes... I am on my way!!!!!!!!!!

gonnabefit
Wed, Jun-09-04, 03:32
Well I woke up this morning and didn't even think about smoking... It has now been almost 17 hours without one... I am quite pleased with myself... WOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!

BlitzedAng
Wed, Jun-09-04, 05:19
Way to go gonnabefit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im rooting for ya bigtime Juls :) :) :)

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Keep strong :angel: Angel

josiekat
Wed, Jun-09-04, 06:31
Way to go Juls!

Kharma
Wed, Jun-09-04, 13:44
woohoooo! Hang in there :)

gonnabefit
Wed, Jun-09-04, 20:05
Okay, it has now been 33 hours... I think... no I know... I can do this!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!

Juls

BlitzedAng
Thu, Jun-10-04, 15:27
It is hard work, this I know at this exact moment. But I see that smoke free gaol ahead of me saying "ONE YEAR" :)

I will make it and so will you..
Angel

gonnabefit
Fri, Jun-11-04, 17:51
Well the smoking thing is going well... I have smoked 3 today but that is because they were here... After tonight there should be no more around and that will be fine... Just aggravates me as I do not get a sense of relaxation from them... They don't make anything better... so why in the hell do I smoke them.... :mad:

Well like I said tomorrow is a new day!! And I will be stronger!!!

BlitzedAng
Sun, Jun-13-04, 09:09
A step in the right direction :) Hope it gets a lil easier for you. I know how very frustrating it can be.
Angel

gonnabefit
Sun, Jun-13-04, 10:08
Well yesterday I smoked 2 cigarettes and today I have smoked one.. Didn't taste very good so maybe the end is near!! Thanks Angel for your continued support!!

Juls

datahamstr
Mon, Jun-14-04, 13:35
Hi All, Julie,

I've been smoking for about 37 years, and will be quitting within a week or so. Found Alan Carr's book "The Easy Way to Quit", which really gives a new slant on things, very helpful.

I'm very nervous, but quite determined! (double Taurus). I wish us all luck
Leigh

gonnabefit
Mon, Jun-14-04, 14:04
Leigh welcome aboard!! I wish you luck!! We CAN do this!

Juls :)

datahamstr
Wed, Jun-16-04, 13:21
Hi Julie,

Thanks for welcome, I appreciate it. My problem right now is being constantly swayed (emotionally) by my very dysfunctional mother and older sister. Not about smoking, they just love drama (see "fight"), and then I get weak and tired and there goes motivation, etc.

I know I must cut contact with them, it's the only way. They certainly take the "fun" out of "dysfunctional"! :p

I like the tips that Janetly posted too. Thanks!

Hope you are doing great, and have a strong support system.

Yours "co-dependently",
Leigh :wave:

BlitzedAng
Wed, Jun-16-04, 13:29
Gonabefit.. You are trying and THAT is what matters. This is by far the hardest thing Ive ever tried to do. Day 26 here and believe it or not the last 2 weeks flew by compared to the first. If you guys ever need some support we can journal hop :)

Best of luck to you guys. Im rooting for ya.

Angel

datahamstr
Thu, Jun-17-04, 12:37
Hi Angel,

Nice to hear from you. I have to go to the Library to use computer (which I do most days), just to let you all know.

Can I ask you if you used the patch or anything? I'm very scared to take the leap! I did buy a box of nic. patches.

(sorry, I am still quite new to the forum, and not sure what "journalling" means) :)

Keep up the GREAT work, all.

Leigh

BlitzedAng
Thu, Jun-17-04, 13:07
A journal is like a diary but online. I like it to track my food,exercise and so people can pop in and leave advice.
I quit a long time ago using the regular patches and liked them, but fell off...This time when I quit I "started" with the clear patches , (HUGE) mistake for me. I had a severe alergic reaction. So if you decide to use the patch try the ones that are NOT clear.. Best of luck :) and start a journal if you can.

Angel

Janetly
Tue, Jun-22-04, 11:22
Hey Doll, just checking in on you to see how its going... so how's it going? :)

gonnabefit
Tue, Jun-22-04, 14:36
I am here and ashamed to say that I still haven't fully quit.. I am still only doing about 3-4 a day... I am sure I can do this... some days are harder than others...

How are you doing?

Janetly
Tue, Jun-22-04, 18:38
Bah dont be ashamed of it! That deserves huge congrats and pats on the back!
*hugs*
Just think, 3 or 4 per day versus how ever many packs you were at :) You're doing fabulous! You'll come upon something that will kick you over that last little hump.

You're doing great! Keep it up!
Hugs!

BlitzedAng
Fri, Jun-25-04, 08:18
It's ok Juls :)

As the old saying goes, "Practice makes perfect."
Im on day 35 and NEVER thought I would make it this far. I am having a hard time at home with stress etc which makes it hard to stay quit but I just log on quitnet.com and go in the chatroom to get past it. Hardest thing Ive ever had to do, that's for sure.

Still rooting for ya :)

Angel