PDA

View Full Version : Rachelle's Story

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Rachelle
Mon, May-31-04, 19:07
I started Atkin's in July of 2003.

I had never been on a true "diet" before starting Atkin's the summer of '03.
I was very active during High School (soccer and volleyball player) I would eat just about anything I wanted and would stay pretty fit.
When I graduated from Highschool I began to work in a bar environment and got into some very heavy drug use and began drinking regularly.
Needless to say certain drugs will speed up your metabolism... which is what happened for me. I lost down to about 105lbs. and maintained there. I was not healthy and I'm sure lost a lot of muscle along with fat. I continued on that path for about 2 yrs maybe a bit longer.

I finally decided to better my life and I gave up drugs. Which was very hard for me. Along with that being hard in itself.. I also began to gain weight very rapidly. I went up to about 155-160lbs. within about a 6 month period of time. I went from a size 0/3 to a size 14/16. I was devistated, as I had not changed my eating habits at all...

I tried not eating/ starvation..
I tried low-fat..
I tried Slim fast (LOL)

I was so frustrated that nothing seemed to work.. I even considered going back to my old routine (cocaine & eating once every 3 days)
I knew that was not the answer... i wanted something better for my life.

I then started hearing about Atkin's from a co-worker. She gave me the book and I began to read it. We did the buddy system and both started the Induction phase of the program.
I did not have very fast results in the first 2 weeks. I didn't give up though.. and thought if anything i was "feeling" thinner... I continued Induction for about 3 months and then progressed to OWL (On Going Weight Loss). My weight loss has continued on that path.. very slow and steady. But as I've been reminded time and time again.. it is a WAY OF LIFE.. not a quick fix/ fad diet.

I stayed true to the book and was in search of some new recipes.
That is when I stumbled across this site in about September of '03. I had never been to a forum of any kind so I had no idea what this place was.. other than a place to find recipes.

Well as the weight continued to slowly drop.. I started to find advice and friends on this board that helped me stick with the diet.

I plan to stay Lowcarb for the rest of my life. I would have to say that this site and The Atkin's Diet can possibly be credited to saving my life. I was at a very weak spot where I almost gave up.. and the support system here and the book that opened my eyes (Dr. Atkin's New Diet Revolution) kept me in line..

Here are some pictures... a true before picture that has not made it into my gallery yet.. and a IN PROGRESS picture of me now.
I still have a few pounds that i'd like to lose.. but for the most part i'm very satisfied with my success.

Thank you all for being there for me.. even when you didn't necessarily know what i was going through or who I was. I appreciate it more than you will ever know or understand :)

danakins
Mon, May-31-04, 19:14
Wow, Rachelle! I wasn't aware of your journey to this place. You are truly inspirational. I'm so glad you are here. You are such a beauty inside and out!

Thanks for sharing,

KC Ramone
Mon, May-31-04, 22:00
Wow--I also had no idea of what you've been through! Glad to see you're on the road to success (oh wait, you're pretty much there!). I wish you much happiness in the future. Thanks for being another inspiration. You go girl!
:)

christirox
Mon, May-31-04, 23:22
Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. You look absolutely amazing and you really are an inspiration.

~Christi

SummerYet
Tue, Jun-01-04, 05:06
Ra-

Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. You ARE an inspiration and I am sure your story will help many. You are a very strong woman. Thank you.

~Michelle

cartmanis
Tue, Jun-01-04, 05:38
Wow.

I'd have to say you were a beautiful girl in your before pics, but what an amazing change in your after. What a hottie.

Congratz!.

Trainerdan
Tue, Jun-01-04, 05:56
Rachelle,

I think it is fantastic that you shared your story with everyone.

It takes a special kind of person to open themselves up like that to help others and show them that you CAN overcome huge obstacles and not resort back to "using" for weight loss.

Congratulations on your success ... and continued success since I know you are still looking to push it farther ... Even though you are "hawwwwt" now. ;) You're amazing.

:heart:
Dan

bonesigh
Tue, Jun-01-04, 10:10
Thanks for sharing your inspiring story Rachelle! :)

BTW, you were still a doll in the "before" photo. :)

:)

bigguyjonc
Tue, Jun-01-04, 10:39
hello sweet Chelle,

I of course knew your story but i think it really takes courage to put that out there dan is right. I am sooo proud of you! Big hugs! :bhug:
you are such a winner and inspiration in my book.

:wave:

becaboos
Tue, Jun-01-04, 10:48
Yay Rachelle.. you are awesome.

You are such an inspiration.

Hugs
Boo

AFwife
Tue, Jun-01-04, 12:53
Rachelle,

I'm so very proud of you. You are a true inspiration.

BIG HUG for ya babe.

Muaahhh!

Bugspit
Tue, Jun-01-04, 13:33
Hey baby doll,

Your story is a great success story, looks like in a way we have both traveled the same path. Not necessally the same steps, but at least the same road. Maybe thats why I always like being a part of your journal. Your stength is your beauty inside. I know times get tough and i wish I could always be there to give you the hug that we all sometimes need. You are a very special young lady and Im glad you are doing great. Just remember you always have a friend in California that cares for you a lot. Once again great job and keep it up.

red1cutie
Tue, Jun-01-04, 13:34
Hi Rachelle! Thanks taking the time to share your story. It takes a lot of courage to open up like that.

Good luck on the rest of your journey.

Be safe.
red

ManoOPUS
Tue, Jun-01-04, 14:51
hiya beautiful!!!

that's a truly inspiring story!!! it shows courage, will-power and sheer determination, characteristics of a champion! and you definitely are a champ in my book!!! :D

hugs and kisses, Manolo ;)

Kristine
Tue, Jun-01-04, 15:49
Rachelle,

:bhug: What can I say that hasn't already been said? I'm really happy for you and your success. :thup: :thup: You made a really good decision when you decided to go LC, and you continued stay committed even though the loss was slow at times. You're a fantastic example.

Much continued success!

Vanity3
Tue, Jun-01-04, 16:19
Such an AMAZING Story Rach...I'm getting all emotional :cry: Thanks for sharing. I know that must have been difficult.

Cindy007
Tue, Jun-01-04, 18:18
I hope you now how proud I am of you babydoll! You've come so far and have made so many steps forward in only a year...in more ways than weight alone. The forum just wouldn't be the same vivrant place without you around. I hope you know that you have given back as much as you have gleaned!

--Cindy

serrelind
Tue, Jun-01-04, 18:31
Wow Rachelle, what a story! I had no idea. I'm really proud of you!

*hugs*

Serre

Rachelle
Tue, Jun-01-04, 18:32
You guys have no idea how happy all your comments have made me.. i was so hesitant to post this story.. as i was afraid that my drug related past would change your opinions of me.. thank you so much for accepting me :)

You're the best!!!!!

Browneyez
Tue, Jun-01-04, 21:03
Wow Rachelle~ I thank you for sharing your story. You are a true inspiration! Your such a beautiful person inside and out. Your talents are many and you care, and for that I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart!:rheart:

Keep up the great work Rachelle! I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo very proud of you!:bhug:

Cinderella
Wed, Jun-02-04, 11:47
wow, you are truely awesome. It took great strength to change your life.
Thanks for sharing your story. :daizy:

hugs..cin

nets33
Wed, Jun-02-04, 12:15
Wow Ra....

What an amazing journey that you've had. It takes even more courage to share it out here with the world. It's great to see how you've made this change in your life and what a successful committment you've made.

You certainly deserve a round of applause! :clap:

You keep up with that positive outlook and the world is yours! :D

Kiks

fern2340
Wed, Jun-02-04, 15:54
Rachelle,
I am very proud of you for posting your story. Thank you for opening up and sharing with us. You have come so far and have so much to be proud of. No matter where life takes you, whatever path you choose, don't ever settle, Rachelle. Choose the best...you deserve it!

You are inspiration to so many on this board, including me. Thanks for being a friend to me and so many here. Keep smiling girl! :D

Linda

Divina99
Wed, Jun-02-04, 19:38
You did it Chelle!!!:cheer: I'm so proud of you!!! :bhug: :bhug: :bhug:

Thank you for sharing sweetie. I know how hard it is to share ones past sometimes...nobody is perfect..we all mess up..but, it's important to learn from those mistakes..some do and some don't...but, YOU did!! You perfected yourself. Look at you now hun......you are stunning..an amazing girl inside and out!!! On top of that you've got the sweetest..kindest...caring...overall great personality to match. ;) You are just so lovable.:rheart: And soooo damn talented!! Love your drawings.:agree:

You Rock!! :thup:

Hugs&Muaaaaah!

~D~

determine3
Tue, Jun-08-04, 05:12
OMG, RAH!! How come i'm only now reading your story?? I swear, tears are welling up in my eyes 1. bc i know you and you are a true friend to me and 2. noone would ever guess that YOU went thru struggles like that. You are always so perky and so kind and so fabulous and loving and...need i say more? Girl, I am so proud of you for coming so far. I wish you could tell me how you got over your drug problem so I could share the knowledge with my sister and brother and help them also to get on the path of healing. Success stories here are usually only about weightloss but your story is the best i've read so far bc it's about saving a life.

Love ya
Tasha

(((((walks away with fresh tears and a smile of pride written all over her face))))))))

Rachelle
Tue, Jun-08-04, 08:31
Tasha...... thank you so much for reading my story.. and for telling me that it might help someone close to you...

to answer your question:

I really can't say "HOW" i got thru it.. i guess i just came to the realization.. that i cared if i woke up.. i was sick of making prayers to God at 9a.m.. while i lay there trying to fall asleep and stop shaking .. saying.. it would be the last time.. and please if he let me fall asleep and live.. i'd never do it again...
Enough of those prayers and i think you start to tempt fate. I knew after 2 yrs of them... that eventually it wouldn't work.

Also i had a very worried family.. i stopped caring about my job.. i would take off and not call.. and actually moved to FL to "escape" life for awhile...

I would say that the one true reason was that i had people who cared about me and still believed in me. I had God in my life.. and i had family... Those things still count.

No one can change someone by telling them to change.. as we all know from weight loss stand points.. it has to be internal.. and it has to be because they think that they are worth it.
All you can do is support them and love them.. regardless their choices.. tough love is acceptable.. sometimes it's the only eye opener :)

I hope that helped...
Muahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

determine3
Tue, Jun-08-04, 20:38
Thanks sweetie!! Knowledge is Power!!

MISSRED197
Wed, Jul-07-04, 15:40
Girl, you have been thru so much and you have come out being a beautiful person inside and out!!!! You are such an inspiration to soooo many people here!!! You are AWESOME Chelle!!!!!

Hugs~

DianaO
Tue, Aug-03-04, 05:53
You've done awesome!!!!!

debmeg
Mon, Aug-09-04, 10:15
rachelle hon,

don't know why i've never read your success story but clicked through to it now. after what you wrote in my journal today, and reading this... wow, you are one strong, fantastic woman.

please don't think we would judge you by where you have been. many people get to very low places in their life, and many choose drugs; all it shows is the tremendous strength you had to break out of that life.

i personally may have never had a joint or even a cigarette in my life (*such* a good girl ;)) but i have three first cousins who were heavy into drugs, including coke, and one of them ended up a heroin addict. i can't tell you what a miracle it is but all three of them cleaned themselves up 100% and are now living happy, drug free lives. it's incredible.

i echo what everyone else said; you looked lovely in your before pics, but you look simply stunning in the after pics. fabulous curves hon, but it's also that wonderful smile that is visible at all times. :)

you da best!

xx

deb

Rachelle
Mon, Aug-09-04, 14:07
I attempted to add another picture to my original post here and it would not allow it so i'm going to add it here :)

Thank you everyone for continuing to support me on this journey :hug:

djrandy
Mon, Aug-09-04, 14:23
Sweet P,
Glad you shared your story to help others....love you
Randy

hornbrau
Wed, Aug-11-04, 08:00
Rachelle,

Congrats on your life altering change! It takes a very strong person to do what you did and I'm happy that you had the courage to do it.

Oh yeah, good job with the weight loss too!

Chris

tae~tae
Thu, Aug-12-04, 06:57
I must take the time out to say, thank you for being so open & honest with us. I really appreciate your story. Hun you're determined and a driven woman, who knows how to make things happen. A million things I want to say but I will end with this stalwart!

Zora
Thu, Aug-12-04, 19:31
Rachelle,

What an amazing story! You have come so far in many ways. I'm sure your story will help others. Congratulations. You look beautiful!

Bren
xoxo

SommarRose
Wed, Aug-18-04, 09:40
Very encouraging story! I lose slow so this helps to read how you have had patience to keep going.

stacie1305
Sat, Aug-21-04, 18:02
Theres not much more I could say that hasn't already been said, but Congrats on over coming such a daunting issue. I know first hand how hard it is to over come such a thing. I have had a lot of people around me go through this, some have made it, others are trying, and some don't care. But it is so pleasing to hear your story and know another one has been saved. Keep up the great work and good luck to you.

Stacie

snoopers1
Tue, Aug-24-04, 07:28
Awesome job you are doing good luck to you, you look great

Cara73
Tue, Aug-31-04, 21:45
Hey there, Rachelle,

I guess I didn't notice the success tab in your posts, but I just did and read what you've been through. You are a very strong person to have overcome that. You should be very proud of yourself. We all are!!!! And it's great you decided to share that story, because it WILL help somebody else. In one way or another, it will. All that you have been through will only make you stronger in the long run. Just remember, everything happens for a reason!!

Congratulations to you. You look amazing. You are very beautiful, inside and out. Keep up the great work!!!

Cara

Rachelle
Sat, Oct-02-04, 02:23
Thanks guys.. it means alot to me that you all care so much :)

IdahoSpud
Sat, Oct-02-04, 03:59
Hiya Rachelle,

I finished reading your success story, and have to say that you are *awesome*, not just physically, but also (and more importantly) in your character. Congratulations on the path you chose to follow, and on good luck on the continuing journey! Thanks also, very much, for sharing your personal story of success.

And lastly, thanks for your ongoing support of others on the board. You rock!

Best wishes,
Mark

tamarian
Fri, Dec-31-04, 09:44
Hi Rachelle

Thanks for sharing your success story and letting us publish it, it is now on our website's success section.

Wa'il

82sara82
Fri, Jan-21-05, 15:21
I use to be into hard drugs. I ate every few days, but the majority of my calories came from beer. I was 112lbs, now I'm clean, size 12 and 145lbs. I'm hoping to get down to a size 5.

Rachelle
Tue, Oct-11-05, 14:54
This is helping me get motivated again.. thanks guys!!

nets33
Tue, Oct-11-05, 18:11
Life is a series of ups and downs.... we go up, we go down, up, down, up, down...

You have come so far, you'll get back where you want to be... 'cause I know you!

Muuuuaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!

PurpleJane
Wed, Oct-12-05, 14:13
Congratulations! On winning more than one battle!

You look amazing! :clap: