PDA

View Full Version : Any Red Hatters Here?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

nikotyme
Mon, May-31-04, 18:28
I read the newspaper at work this morning, there was an article about a group of ladies in their 50's that had formed a society.
see http://www.redhatsociety.com/ (http://www.redhatsociety.com/), I got a kick out of it and am sure there are more than a few likely candidates around this forum.

I sent an email to one of the local chapters and a lady called me back this evening, they meet this Wednesday at a church luncheon....I thought they were gonna be wild and crazy....ladies who go out in public with outrageous red hats and purple outfits , ya'd think they'd have the (pardon my french) balls to do something other than a church luncheon...not that there's anything wrong with that mind you but ah well, there's still some spunk left in some older gals, just wondering if we could start our own chapter of Red Hatters (think of the avs) in here, the ones round my town meet during the day and I no can do.

:wiggle:

Hellistile
Tue, Jun-01-04, 14:03
Checked their website. They meet, publish a newsletter, hold conventions and sell stuff. What the proceeds go towards is not noted. What the purpose of their organization is, is also not listed. Seems to me a bunch of old ladies, who do nothing and need to socialize.

nikotyme
Wed, Jun-02-04, 03:16
ah well it was just a thought

bevbme
Tue, Jun-08-04, 20:52
Haard to have a group like that on the web-how could you tell if I was wearing my hat?
There are group s of lowcarbers around. I expect the commercial diet centers will organize lowcarb support groups.

granisez
Sun, Jul-25-04, 11:43
I think it would be a great idea to do a red hat group on line - fun is the important thing to me. :lol: I have been a "red hatter" since I turned 50 which is 6 years ago - before there really was a group to go to. I walk every day and wear my red hat - doesn't matter that I wear a green orange or purple shirt - who cares. Have you ever read the poem "When I get Old, I shall wear purple"? It is just too funny and it describes how I want to be - right now I am just practicing! Lets get this fun idea going and share some fun and laughter will all us "mature" silly ladies. :lol: :lol: :agree: :wave:

KoKo
Sun, Jul-25-04, 11:55
How about the Raging Grannies

They appear to have fun and work for a cause at the same time - maybe you could start a chapter in your town.

http://www.web.net/blackrosebooks/grannies2.htm

granisez
Wed, Jul-28-04, 16:05
Hi KoKo,
Ragin Granisez sure have their nitch in this world don't they. Look up Red Hat Society and see what they are all about. It is a group (I should say alot of groups) of women who get together in their city or on line and have a good time. Hy husband and I are rv'rs so we aren't home very much. Having a mini RHS on this site would be great. The important thing is to laugh and have a good time...... my latest in my life.....I had a tooth filled several weeks ago and it has been hurting ever since. Went to the dentist yesterday and he informed me that I have TMD which is similiar to a sprained ankle only in my jaw. Guess who is going to keep those carbs down for the next six weeks - I can't open my mouth :D I guess I will be drinking my carbs and this is certainly going to help me not to cheat. :wave:

KoKo
Wed, Jul-28-04, 16:48
Hi Granisez

Oooooh what a way to do well on your diet, hope your pain eases up soon. Yeah, having fun is so important at this age (well any age!!! actually). Maybe I will look up the redhats. Thanks and take care.

granisez
Thu, Jul-29-04, 15:18
Have no fear, carbs are here! Hi KoKo!
Never fear, even though my jaw is sprained, I can still get to those carbs. It has been fun figuring out how to do it :agree: I made the flax Muffins which I found on the recipe site and added DeVinci syrup to it. Then I grated zuchinni (it is growing like crazy now) and added that to the muffins along with ground walnuts. I think I found a winner! I knew I wouldn't starve :yum: I go to the dentist on Monday and will find out if I have to have my jaw wired shut. So far, I am still hurting so we will see what happens. Hey, I got this little ditty today and it sounds like a "Red Hat" type ditty! "I'm still hot! It comes in flashes!" Now that is my kind of saying. Hope the weather is well in your area - it is hot and in the 90's here.
:wave:

moondanzr
Wed, Aug-11-04, 14:48
Saw this thread and had to put my 2 cents in. I have been a red-hatter for 2 years and we have a blast! Yes, we do wear red hats and go out in purple outfits...some of us have even been on floats in parades.
We meet once a month and always do something fun.
I am a boomer-gal and did a lot of protesting in the 60's and 70's. I look at this as a sort of protest against the stigma of women aging...plus it's ALOT of fun for me and my friends.
I live in a small town and there is a chapter here and another chapter in another small town not too far away.
Believe me we do more than just church socials. :lol:
moondanzr :wave:

Arizona B
Sun, Sep-05-04, 12:41
Anyone 50 or older is automatically a member of the Red Hat Club. When I was working there was a group of ladies that would hold a tea once a year . I asked one of the woman just what the purpose of the group was and she said to get together and make friends. Once a year they put a notice in the local newspaper and invited any lady 50 or over to come to there tea. You would be amazed how many people responded. It's a great way to make friends and an even greater way to get ladies out of the house that might normally not socialize much. A person can never have too many friends. I just turned 51 on the 29th of August and my sister-in-law made me the cutiest bracelet out of red beads and put a red hat on it. It's cute as all get out and it stands as a reminder that no matter how old you get you can still have fun and make friends. So I invite all of the ladies 50 or older to join the Red Hat Society and always remember your never too old to have a little fun.

PurpleFox
Sun, Sep-12-04, 02:43
Our group has fun. Just to correct one of the posts, Women over 50 aren't automatically members, rather they are eligible to join or form a chapter in their own community. Each chapter is fully sanctioned by the national organization of the Red Hat Society. There are over 30,000 chapters out there ladies!

Most groups meet at least once a month and hold other special events of all kinds. They're having a big get together at the Portland, Oregon race track this month, they're getting together at the Portland Zoo on seniors day, there are special events in several tourist towns in Oregon just for the red hatters. This is a large group of women to be reckoned with.....

Many women attend these functions. It is a way for us to show our spunk and have fun together. If we did it alone they'd probably haul us off to the funny farm...............

I'm the Queen of our chapter. I just launched a website specifically for the red hat women. It's a classified ads, sharing thoughts, photo gallery website just for us old women who sit around and do nothing :) Check it out! www.GotMyGrooveBack.net Advertise something you've been wanting to get rid of in your closets, advertise some of your handcrafted items, share a thought or two.

vpsutton
Tue, Nov-09-04, 17:41
I have been a redhatter for about a year. Our group meets about once a month. We go to plays, booksignings, out to dinner, have pj parties, meet with other groups, go to teas, have parties.. It is always fun. We make our red hats as outrageous as possible and wear our purple. There are a lot of commercial outfits put out for redhatters now. Worth looking up a group. I am sure every group is different, and if the first one you meet up with doesn't share your interests, try another. Some people like to party, some like events, etc. Just like people everywhere. But people who think it is fun to dress silly and go out in public are more apt to be fun people (or nuts) than your average women's club.

agaliha
Tue, Mar-28-06, 12:05
My sister is a Red Hatter in an RV group. I've been a Red Hatter at heart for about 18 years. There are 2 chapters in my town but neither are accepting new members. I have a darling Red Hat bear. Also have 3 red hats - a fancy one for Christmas, and georgeous large brimmed straw which I've never had a chance to wear and a sloppy straw which I wear every time I go to the grocery store on my little red scooter. :-)

willeke
Sun, Apr-02-06, 14:14
I've just moved back here (to the netherlands. from texas) and actually found a just established Red Hat Group in a town nearby! I've become a member but don't know if I'll stay. They all have very fancy red hats and purple dresses and I am more the jeans type of person, so I bought myself a red stetson and a few bright purple T-shirts (with wolfhounds on them, and dolphines etcetera).
I want to have fun, so I'll see if that works, and if not, I'll start a new chapter in my own town <g>.

I love the "enfant terrible" idea behind it!
Willeke

dece42
Mon, Aug-07-06, 09:27
Hi, I am from MS and just love being in the Red Hat Society. Our town has several groups and all of them are very active. On several occasions all group get together and have a big "hoot" The lady that says the groups in her town are full,needs to start another group. I am sure there are more ladies out there wanting to have fun too. Is anyone going to the convention in Nashville, TN in April O7? We are getting up a group from our town to go. I went to one in Branson,MO that was sooo very much fun. I can't wait til April 07. Hugs, Dece