PDA

View Full Version : lowcarb/lowcalorie on maintaince

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Bo and me
Mon, May-31-04, 16:43
Hi, I'm new here to this bb and have been maintaining for about a year. I've been struggling to stay at goal. Does anybody count calories now??

Julie

mb99
Tue, Jun-01-04, 05:23
Hi there.

You need to identify the reasons you are struggling. Is it food cravings? Good that be chemical? Is it lack of will power at special events? Can you address this? Is it carb creep? Is it becuase your goal weight is too low for you? Maybe you should accept a slightly higher weight? Is it becuase you don't do any exercise? Given exercise is important for health not just appearance, could you try to do some? Is it becuase you lose focus from the plan, feel you need special treats? Is it becuase you emotionally overeat?

These are issues many people face. I know nothing about your situation. If none of these apply to you and you are still struggling despite following the plan, I would say
* Are you eating in excess of 2000 calories a day? Yes, then some people maybe you need to count if your metabolism isn't the geatest.
* Are you eating very low calories? Say 1100-200? Maybe your metabolism has slowed down? I can reccomend some good books if this is the case.
* Are you doing everything right, eating a fair amount of calories but not unreasonable? Then you face a choice. Is it worth eating X number of calories a day to be 115 pounds, or am I happier eating more calories and going up a few pounds? Nobody can make that decision for you, and we can't judge either way. But that may be the choice.

Good luck. But remember, only count calories if there aren't other issues more in need of adressing - such as emotoinal overeating etc.

Kristine
Wed, Jun-02-04, 19:35
I keep an eye on them, but I don't necessarily count them unless I've slacked off and need to get back within my buffer zone.

Is that a little Bichon Frise? Really cute!

Bo and me
Wed, Jun-02-04, 19:52
Yes it is!!! His name is Bo of course and he's just 3. Thanks for asking. He is such a joy in my life. Thank you.....

kingb123
Thu, Jun-03-04, 13:25
I'm in maintenance right now and scared about gaining weight back. Any reccomendations? I keep carbs to about 30 grams a day (just out of habit) and don't count calories (estimate around 2000). I am a 17 year old boy, btw.

Kaillean
Thu, Jun-03-04, 21:35
I would recommend you up your carbs a bit KingB. You're still growing and developing and you need the nutrients. If you add healthy carbs like more protein, fruit, veggies, even some whole grains you should be able to maintain okay. Go slowly at first.

Have you read the sections on Maintenance in your book or on the Atkins website.

Stay active and you will be able to eat more, as well.

I've become more active in recent months, after a lifetime of slothfulness (is that a word?) and find I can add in more foods now. I eat at least 2 servings of fruit a day and am up to 50 carbs. I am still losing slowly as I am not quite at my goal.

Congratulations on your loss!!

lizziea
Wed, Jun-16-04, 14:02
Good question! have been wondering about that myself! MB99 you have also given me pause for thought!
I've been maintaining for the past two years....after a fashion that is. I'm usually about 115 but then will pig out and put on a couple of pounds, then occupy myself losing them.

I have thought that this might be an inability to let go of dieting? I really don't think that I have ever not either been on or off some diet! Anyway what MB99 said about your body wanting to be at a certain weight is sounding about right to me (in my case ) and I'm just fighting it continuously.

To be honest I'm back here in an attempt to truly maintain and eat a maintenance diet rather than yoyo.

A couple of pounds (115 - 119 ) doesn't sound like a lot I know but I am truly sick and tired of either depriving myself or eating too much. I would love to feel freer and to worry less about the whole thing.

I am really going to do it. I'm 38 and have been stuck on a treadmill since I was 16!

I'm off to glean some top maintenance tips from you wise people! :D

Good luck on your journey!

Itty
Thu, Jun-17-04, 09:52
Those are two really good points....

I am so used to dieting, I probably can't let go, and if I do, I binge. I know I slowed and stalled for a while because I went (by habit) back to low fat.

I don't like the thought that my body wants to be a little heavier than I want it to be!!

Hm. Food for thought.

M

Bo and me
Thu, Jun-17-04, 10:10
I've been maintaining for the past two years....after a fashion that is. I'm usually about 115 but then will pig out and put on a couple of pounds, then occupy myself losing them.

I have thought that this might be an inability to let go of dieting? I really don't think that I have ever not either been on or off some diet! Anyway what MB99 said about your body wanting to be at a certain weight is sounding about right to me (in my case ) and I'm just fighting it continuously.

To be honest I'm back here in an attempt to truly maintain and eat a maintenance diet rather than yoyo.

A couple of pounds (115 - 119 ) doesn't sound like a lot I know but I am truly sick and tired of either depriving myself or eating too much. I would love to feel freer and to worry less about the whole thing.

Geez Lizziea, you sound just like me!!! Same weight and everthing except age. I'm almost 61 and I'm still fighting my weight. I have been maintaining since May 2003 at 115 and I go up to 119 when I eat wrong. Not sure why I do it either. It's certainly not because I like to diet. I would love to just stay where I am and not worry constantly about it. I don't think thats possible. I sure wish someone could help us. I know, I know, if I would just eat right I wouldn't have this problem. Stick to this woe and no problem but I've added apples to see if I can eat them now. I love them and haven't been able to eat them in 2 years. Now I'm experiementing again. We'll see.
Good luck! Julie

jenn22uncw
Tue, Sep-28-04, 11:06
i just had to say i love bichons my mom has three and they are her pride and joy they follow her everywhere like little soldiers,yours is definitely a cutie!

Bo and me
Tue, Sep-28-04, 12:12
Thanks Jenn!!! Bo is the light of our lives. He is the best dog I've ever had. I would love to have more but grooming can get expensive. Taking him camping today so he'll be brown by the time we get home. LOL