PDA

View Full Version : Thin For Good by Fred Pescatore, M.D.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ollie179
Mon, May-24-04, 18:25
Greetings everyone. Has anyone ever tried, or is now doing the vegetarian option in Dr. Pescatore's book "Thin For Good."? I very curious because I've read his book and his vegetarian diet seems VERY restrictive and repetitive. I'd love to know what others think about his diet and any success stories.
Thanks
Cheers!

spirit
Wed, May-26-04, 18:52
I could never do his vegetarian diet, and now I even regret buying the book. I'm not much impressed with his new book the Hamptons Diet, either. Probably because I'm one of those folks who just have to limit total carbs to lose weight, and can't eat a lot of "good carbs" like Dr. Pescatore recommends.

Some of these low carb books are getting out of hand. I mean first the South Beach Diet and now the Hamptons Diet. I find it embarrassing for authors to have to rely on geographical (aka wealthy, "prestigious") locations to sell books. Tells me all I need to know.

Ollie179
Wed, May-26-04, 19:24
I've just seen Dr. Pescatore's latest book. Then I did a bit of internet research. In the "HAMPTONS DIET" Dr. Pescatore hails the wonders of macadamia nut oil. He preaches how he believes it is even better than olive oil for health and well being. It turns out Dr. Pescatore OWNS macadamia nut farms! Small wonder then that he prescribes it prominently in his book. I've just lost all respect for this man. If he owned a snake farm would he also prescribe snake venom for health and well being?

spirit
Wed, May-26-04, 19:58
I know; these authors should know better. I particularly notice the little swipes Dr. Pescatore is taking at Atkins, now that the poor doctor is dead and gone. When I read interviews with him in magazines, etc. he's always subtly putting down the Atkins plan. I consider him an ingrate, considering the wonderful late Dr. Atkins gave Pescatore his start as a Director of Medicine in the Atkins Center for Complimentary Medicine in Manhattan in the early 90's. Talk about biting someone in the butt! I guess he's crying sour grapes, in his own way, for not having the personality, integrity and style that the late Dr. had, and thus not taking his "rightful" place as #1 low carb doctor...(ok, I'm coming up for breath now; just had to get that out of my system!)....

I don't follow the Atkins plan myself, but I do low carb and respect Atkins greatly for bringing lowcarbing into the mainstream.