PDA

View Full Version : Manufacturers Need To Tell the Truth

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

TitanPower
Fri, May-21-04, 12:04
I'm very concerened about this company it seems they are making
a false claim about their products, they claim to have a Zero Carb Bread,
Bagels and Pizza. They know their lying because that's impossible. I
contacted them and they told me the breads have Wheat Gluten and Corn Starch
Both of these have carbs. They also have Garlic, Onion and several other
ingredients that are high in carbs. They explained this by saying they have
a new process of putting more dietary fiber than carbs. I'm no physcian or
bakery but I know dietary fiber is a carb itself. I put a link below to
their website.

http://www.controlledcarbgourmet.com/

Thanks,
Jon Carpenter
Miami, FL

gotbeer
Fri, May-21-04, 12:20
Mr Carpenter, by any chance, do you work for that company? I ask because their street address is in Miami, FL - just like you - and because your only two posts have been about this company.

Controlled Carb Gourmet,
1905 NE 154th St
Miami FL 33162.

potatofree
Fri, May-21-04, 13:44
You're right, they ARE lying then. Until some sort of regulations kick in, we'll have to rely on good old-fashioned common sense to ferret out the "too good to be true" claims.

BBQman
Fri, May-21-04, 15:58
Good catch

TitanPower
Sat, May-22-04, 15:37
No I don't work for them, just happen to live in Miami also.

If I worked for them I wouldn't be complaining about them or questioning their honesty.

JON

Spinr24
Thu, May-27-04, 08:51
I'm very concerened about this company it seems they are making
a false claim about their products, they claim to have a Zero Carb Bread,
Bagels and Pizza. They know their lying because that's impossible. I
contacted them and they told me the breads have Wheat Gluten and Corn Starch
Both of these have carbs. They also have Garlic, Onion and several other
ingredients that are high in carbs. They explained this by saying they have
a new process of putting more dietary fiber than carbs. I'm no physcian or
bakery but I know dietary fiber is a carb itself. I put a link below to
their website.

http://www.controlledcarbgourmet.com/

Thanks,
Jon Carpenter
Miami, FL

Jon,
If you look at their label claims they say that they have 0 net carbs. So they subtract the fiber from the total carb count which equals 0 for one serving which is only 1 oz, a full bagel is 2oz. But looking at their ingredients I still don't see how their total carb count is only 7.

yoda_san
Thu, May-27-04, 11:12
Seems like the whole "net" thing is being really abused.

TitanPower
Fri, May-28-04, 07:06
Kinda Strange another Zero Carb Bread Company from a suburb of Miami. Low Carb Mania (Strange they operate from a CELL PHONE and a PO BOX "Wonder Why?")

This one has about 25 low carb products including breads and bagels with Sesame Seed, Onion (not low carb) Garlic, Cinnamon, BLUEBERRRY, Tomato, Poppy Seed and Spinach is now also Zero Carb :) HEY Guess what you can even have Pumpernickel.

I checked with a baker and Pumpernickel is made with a food coloring made from of all things BURNT SUGAR.

If all this is TRUE why hasn't Atkins, Cheaters, Sara Lee, Arnolds, Sea Biscuits Bakery and dozens of other low carb bread people came out with ZERO CARB BREAD.

I BET I KNOW WHY (YOU CAN'T)

Jon

JACO1974
Fri, May-28-04, 10:08
Don't the Atkins products do the same thing? I remember picking up one of the Advantage bars and it lists "net carbs". Its like they could care less anymore whether they are supporting the Atkins dieter or making a buck. All they see now is $$$$$.

Jason

potatofree
Fri, May-28-04, 17:25
I agree that "net carbs" can be deceptive. What floors me is that people want so badly to believe they can have "something for nothing" that they shell out a lot of money and overlook the fact that the ingredients don't add up. One person posted about paying 7 dollars for a loaf of "1 carb" bread that has wheat gluten, two kinds of BEANS, among other things in the ingredients, AND she said the slices are really big.

I guess nobody can take advantage of you without your permission, as they say.

yoda_san
Sat, May-29-04, 09:49
The net carb calculation where you subtract fiber grams may be fine, although I still haven't gone back to bread and tortillas yet, but I think the sugar alcohols are really destructive to some people's progress no matter who makes them.