PDA

View Full Version : 17 year old is 245lbs!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ladyvenom
Thu, May-20-04, 15:50
My son who just turned 17 lives with my parents and is comming to stay with me and my fiancee for the summer.

He is around 5'11 and 245lbs! I've been doing induction for two weeks and despretaly want to get him into it when he comes to visit.

I've sent him links like this and other atkins sites, and have really been trying to get him intrested! He seems pumped!!

Only problme is both my fiancee and I work full time, and I can't moniter every bite my son eats! He says he WANTS to do this, but well like mother like son, I'm afraid he won't have any will power!

I know the first thought that comes to mind is get rid of all the not allowed foods! But, unfortantly, my fiancee is one of those sickening too skinny people and has to eat fattening foods!! So I buy lots of junk for him.

I can resist it, but I doubt my son can.

Any suggestions on this or general suggestions?

Nakkira
Thu, May-20-04, 16:05
Have you discussed alternative ways for your fiancee to get the calories he needs? Does it always have to involve food that will tempt your son? Seems to me that your fiancee could try to eat similar to what you're doing just add in a few extras like potatoes and pasta and rice. Then he could shop around for some protien bars and shakes that way he can carry those with him to work and your son won't have the temptation. I would say try to find foods for your fiancee that he would enjoy but wouldn't make too big of an impact if your son had a splurge day. Also, listen to what each of them really want and don't want. You don't want to MAKE someone eat something they hate. And you can reward your son with low carb *treats*, just make sure to buy enough ingredients for whatever your making so he's not sneaking in extra calories or carbs. I've seen plenty of recipes on this site that seem to be very tastey and acceptable.

Hope this makes sense and helps. I'm sort of scatterbrained today ;p

missaec
Thu, May-20-04, 16:08
Well your first problem is that you're doubting your son's ability to stick with the plan. If you're doubting him, he'll see it. You need to be as supportive as possible. Believe that he can do it and make sure he knows it.

As far as junk food for your fiance, anything that can be stored in another room other than the kitchen... put it there. Don't tell your son where it is. Tell your fiance that you want to give your son the best possible chance to succeed by not keeping the stuff in the kitchen and I'm betting he'll be supportive of that.

Keep information around about the plan so that he can read it. Books or whatever. Show him the forum and let him register as a member if he hasn't already done so. Make it a bonding thing. :)

Lastly, do some research on some low-carb recipes that taste GOOD. There are a lot around. The Atkins cookbook is full of good ideas. Be prepared with the foods you need to make these dishes. Many of them are VERY good. Plus, you can show him how to make them or make them together so that he can make them for himself when he goes back home.

Good luck!

Nakkira
Thu, May-20-04, 16:11
Also, encourage him to go outside and play ;p Does he like projects? What are his intrests? Encourage him to do what he really likes so he has something to take his mind off eating. The computer and TV can be a bad thing if he likes to snack. I know I tend to pay attention to the screen rather than how much I'm putting in my mouth. For the most part I'd say encourage him to spend time with friends, outdoors, or try to make time for you all together that doesn't involve food. Getting up and moving gets those endorphines flowing and it makes you feel alot better afterwards! Just don't push him beyond his limits and I think everything will be fine :D

ladyvenom
Thu, May-20-04, 16:18
No, he's not seeing me doubt him! Not at all, I've been trying to get him pumped and only talk positive about Atkins. I just know my son very well as we're so much alike!

Unfortantly he's not an active kids, I used to send him out to play as a kid only to find him either reading a book or curled up asleep some where! lol

My fiancee and I will be starting the gym and we have a pool at our place so he'll be doing that with us. Also my fiancee is going to teach my son and I martial arts (he used to run his own school).

Yes, getting protein bars and stuff for my fiancee is a great idea. The only way I get him to do breakfest is thru the calorie plus shakes....

missaec
Thu, May-20-04, 16:53
Well just encourage him as far as exercise goes.. just tell him walking 15min a day even will help him lose weight much quicker than if he didn't exercise at all.

NoelAlexan
Sun, May-23-04, 20:39
Well when i started atkins i was 302 pounds and 16 years old i started in march im allmost 17 and im now 266 if i can do it im sure your son can do it just fine if he likes meat buy him ribeye steaks for dinner i eat em for allmost every dinner but keep him interested in the food you buy him and dont just buy him meat or he will get burned out on it im sure iv been eating meat for along time but i have gotten use the the fact that it might taste nasty but im eating to live not living to eat

kingb123
Tue, Jun-15-04, 21:17
Tell him about Atkins. I've been dieting all my life, since I was 5 (my mom's a nurse so very health-concious). When I was 16, I realized I had to take drastic action. I was 5'9.75" and 213 pounds. Now, nine months later, I'm an inch and a quarter taller (5'11") and only 143 pounds. That's 70 pounds in nine months! Now I'm in the 40th percentile for weight instead of off the charts (obese). He can do it too!

ladyvenom
Fri, Jun-18-04, 10:43
I'm so excited! He's comming home this weekend for the summer!!

I just kinda nervous about him doing Atkins. We all know it works, but I can't moniter him all the time, and at 17 I shouldn't have too!

I've told him he has to WANT to do this, and do it for himself, but I'm not sure if he has the willpower!!

He's also a very emotional eater, and alot of the time will eat out of bordom!

Any tips?

ladyvenom
Fri, Jun-25-04, 16:23
He's here!

Unfortantly he's now 254lbs!!! I've given him a couple of days to get used to the change, and will put him on Atkins tomorrow. Still nervous as I won't be around to *moniter* him though. But going shopping tomorrow!

ladyvenom
Fri, Jul-02-04, 14:28
He's lost 13 lbs on the first 3 days already! I'm so proud of him! We were at a BBQ yesterday, Mom caved, but he didn't!!!