PDA

View Full Version : hello, i'm new (or new-ish) to the group

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

daguttgrl7
Thu, May-13-04, 22:36
hello all -
though i've been tagging along on some of your message threads, i never properly introduced myself or where i am in all this. though mine did not stem from an issue with weight, not that it wasn't at one time, diabetes is in my family and recently i was diagnosed at a high risk for it. also suffered from various other ailments and had major back surgery in 99. my health could have been improved but this was due to my own denial and continous sugary feasts, but now i'm learning for the better. so i began by thinking that atkins, or the general low carb lifestyle was the way to go but always thought that too much dairy and processed food was not good for anyone. plus, i really thought fruit had some benefits and couldn't imagine never eating them again. so i thought i was on atkins, but just my own version that didn't include dairy and all the processed stuff - until i finally found you all: the Paleo/Neanderthin WOL. and i must say, it is as if my search was over. so here i am, pretty new to this whole thing but i really like what it has brought so far. just by incorporating small things to my diet like coconut oil and nuts have improved my feelings, and i just really like this plan. i'm still having some troubles sometimes with getting used to dealing with the cravings, and sometimes have to chew on a piece of sugarless gum. tonight i cooked an asian inspired curried beef stew with sliced beef, onions, garlic, cilantro, lime, fried eggplants in coconut oil, mushrooms, and red bell peppers. it was really good. i actually had a glass of red wine, which i believe is a no-no, but it was small and it was good. i've been having so much fun cooking and would love to share recipes when i can actually keep track of what i'm doing. i plan on doing something amazing with some white fish, lime, basil, curry, and coconut cream pretty soon. in the meantime, just getting through the day is good.
i'm hoping to be able to over come the humps and dips in the road ahead.

danni

nela
Fri, May-14-04, 04:24
Welcome to our cave!

It's great that you feel you've finally found the answers you were looking for. Diabetes is such a serious disease, it's good that you've been diagnosed soon and can prevent it from becoming a reality in your life.

I also did Atkins and was just never comfortable with the idea of not having fruit. Fruit is such a natural, vitamin packed gift that it seemd illogical to take tons of supplements and vitamins on Atkins and ignore the pleasures of eating the real thing.

That ethnic food sounds great! I also love curry and Wok cooking. Please share your recipes with us. I think you're going to enjoy the health benefits of following Paleo..I know I have. :) Good luck!

Hellistile
Fri, May-14-04, 07:43
Danni: Welcome to our campfire and to the Paleo way of eating that you discovered for yourself as being what is right for you. Now the healing process can begin. We'd love to hear how you are progressing.

daguttgrl7
Fri, May-14-04, 08:20
:hyper:
good to hear the positive feedback. making great adjustments have usually been really hard for me to deal with before, but this is the first time that i am feeling like i am actually dealing with cravings the 'right' way. my body is still adjusting, but my overall health feels good. i'm still a little weaker physically than when i was eating a high-carb,high-sugar diet, but i know that was just false energy. i am still able to get some walking in daily, and the occasional bikeride. what i'm trying to remember is to let myself just enjoy the adjustments and the clean feeling that my insides are experiencing.

the best part about this is definitely the food that i've been eating! here is what i have for lunch at least twice a week:

"Cooked" Chicken Salad -

4 chicken tenders
sliced onion to taste
sliced red pepper to taste
garlic
green onion
1 stalk chopped celery

1/2 - 1 sliced eggplant, depending on appetite
1 sliced zucchini

big bunch of torn lettuce
handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced
grated carrot, optional

coconut oil, olive oil, lemon juice, pepper, savory seasonings, garlic powder, red pepper

method: first i heat up a good deal of coconut oil in a skillet and begin by cooking the onion, garlic, red pepper, green onion, and celery. after two minutes, i add some more oil if needed and the chicken tenders. i liberally season with pepper, garlic powder, and savory. once cooked on both sides - almost - i add some lemon juice and put a lid on to steam for a minute. this makes them all extra juicy! after done, remove the mixture and set aside.
next, i heat up some more coconut oil and fry my eggplant and zucchini slices until very tender. i season them them well with garlic powder, pepper, and savory. and then set aside.
to complete the salad, i first whisk up a simple dressing of olive oil and a bit of lemon juice, garlic, and seasonings.
then i put all my fresh lettuce in a large bowl and toss with the dressing, top with my chicken mixture, and garnish with my yummy fried eggplants, zucchinis, grated carrot, and cherry tomatoes. i may drizzle some extra dressing at this point as well.

this is soooo good and i save leftovers and eat again.

toopoles
Sun, May-16-04, 21:13
Hi and welcome to the cave. I know that you will enjoy your time here. I also found this woe after doing atkins minus a few things. I haven't regretted the move. Marty

daguttgrl7
Mon, May-17-04, 11:01
thanks marty, great to hear that. well then i wish us all good luck and perserverence :)