PDA

View Full Version : What is NHE?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

TXAimee
Thu, May-13-04, 08:55
What is NHE? I see several of you following that plan? What is it? I've never heard of it before.

Also, I'm trying to follow Atkins, but my protein & fat percentages get outta whack after I have my PWO shake. What do you suggest I eat to increase the fat???

Thanks!!!
-Aimee

Trainerdan
Thu, May-13-04, 09:17
It's a variation on CKD ... I'll let the NHE group respond more in depth ... That's their turf. LOL.

Built? Legs? Lift? Mouse?

Anyone? Buhler?

fridayeyes
Thu, May-13-04, 13:07
Hmm, those names make some interesting sentences...

Built legs lift mouse.

Lift built mouse legs.

Legs lift built mouse.

Can anyone tell I'm wayyyy short on sleep today? (finals week)

They must be out lifting or something. I'll bump so they see it. :)

Cheers,

Friday

Trainerdan
Thu, May-13-04, 13:39
Oh my. LMAO.

Friday, go eat some Smarties or something. Your brain needs help. ;)

Fun post.

liftnlady
Thu, May-13-04, 15:19
well in a nutshell...I went through a 10 day induction you keep fats at 65-70%, protein at 25-30 and carbs to 5% which is 20 grams or less a day. every 3rd and then 4th day (Wednesday & Sunday for me) you do a carb up for the last 2 meals of the day. These meals should be about 150-200 grams of carb seach, keepng protein and fats less than 20 grams (protein from direct sources). After first carb up I am bumping my carbs to about 30-40 grams (net of fiber) a day which is about 10%, fats will be 65%, protein 25%. You do not need to worry about less protein as the fats are muscle sparing. Currently I eat about 2000 cals a day on this plan and have lost 4lbs the first 10 days, my carb up yesterday was 2900 cals (only gained 1/2-1 lb). I will adjust caloric levels and/or cardio as I progress. I lift 5 days and do cardio 2-3 days a week. LegWarmers and Built can add anythng did not cover.

You can also learn about the plan at www.extique.com

Dormouse
Thu, May-13-04, 16:01
What she said... :)

So far I'm enjoying the diet. I've not been doing it long so I'm not yet sure how it will work out long term. I've not done well with CKD's previously, I'm too small to cope well with the large carb ups.

legwarmers
Thu, May-13-04, 17:33
that looks like a good general outline LL :)

i did NHE w/o much gym november to january and i lost 10 lbs of fluff... worked great for me.

right now i'm upping the cals and my guru tweaked things for me to turn it into a low carb bulk... weeee!

Built
Thu, May-13-04, 17:36
I'm waiting for the book to arrive, but when it does, I'll post up an NHE journal here.

hereigo
Fri, May-14-04, 22:10
Any one know where i can get this book...the plan sounds interesting.

liftnlady
Fri, May-14-04, 22:22
I think you can go to www.extique.com

fridayeyes
Fri, May-14-04, 22:24
BTW, how would you ladies characterize the difference between CKD and NHE?

TIA,

Friday

Built
Fri, May-14-04, 22:34
Basically, it's the difference in the way you do the carbup.

I shall now shamelessly oversimplify:
The base diet for both is high-fat, low-carb (basic keto diet).
With CKD, it's a 36 hour bender, and with NHE, you eat roughly 200g of fast (lowfat) carb toward the end of the day, two days a week, planning your heaviest workouts for the day AFTER the carbup.

It's almost halfway between CKD and TKD.

For me, I like it better than CKD because you top up your glycogen twice, and I don't seem to have as much "spillover" as I did on CKD.

I also like TKD - not as much of a "kick", but easier to plan.

hereigo
Fri, May-14-04, 22:35
i saw that on extique...do i order it from one of those listings or maybe is it at Barnes and Noble?

fridayeyes
Fri, May-14-04, 22:37
Thanks, Built! Hmmmmm.... *Friday eyes her plan speculatively as a gleam appears in her eye*

Built
Fri, May-14-04, 22:39
*Friday eyes her plan speculatively as a gleam appears in her eye*
Snortle! .

Trainerdan
Sat, May-15-04, 05:51
Ummmm ... Looks like I am on NHE currently ... That is almost EXACTLY how my contest diet is designed right now ... I do a 1 meal carb-up on Tuesdays and Fridays ... Too funny ...

liftnlady
Sat, May-15-04, 09:50
i saw that on extique...do i order it from one of those listings or maybe is it at Barnes and Noble?

they do not have it at Barnes and Noble, online is the only place I belive. You can do a google cause some places sell it cheaper

MissBehave
Sat, May-15-04, 11:36
HUH! Just read the extique site. This sounds intriguing. I am vEEeeery tempted. Very.

hmm......

Built
Sat, May-15-04, 11:39
MissBehave, are you lifting now?

MissBehave
Sat, May-15-04, 11:44
Hi Built...

No I'm not lifting. Well, the only thing I'm lifting is my fat butt out of the bed everyday to continue on my quest for a physique that doesn't scare me when I look in the mirror and the energy to get there.

I am doing Atkins, but I'm afraid to move from the induction stage, and even when I was a lot lighter and in what I thought was great condition, I still didn't get to the "greek goddess body" stage that I worked utterly, utterly hard to get. I worked out 4 to 6x a week, 2-3 hrs at a time.

Of course, I was a lot younger then. But I know there's a beautiful bod somenwhere underneath this disguise. I can feel it.

I'm just wondering if I will ever SEE it in my liftime.

Miss B

Hey didn't mean to butt in on your discussion... slowly backing out..

Chipperoo
Sat, May-15-04, 12:21
Hey MissBehave,

Welcome to the path to fitness! Hard work and perseverance along this path will reward you more than you could imagine.

Many of us worked out in our past with less than perfect results. Just working out as hard and as often as you can may not give YOU the results you are looking for either. The secret is to work out SMARTER and not just harder! My suggestion is to research as much as you can about fitness and weightloss. Ask questions here and other places or boards and use the knowledge you gain to form your plan of action.

Good luck, NEVER GIVE UP , and you'll get where you dream of being one day!

Built
Sat, May-15-04, 13:44
Hi Built...

No I'm not lifting. Well, the only thing I'm lifting is my fat butt out of the bed everyday to continue on my quest for a physique that doesn't scare me when I look in the mirror and the energy to get there.

I am doing Atkins, but I'm afraid to move from the induction stage, and even when I was a lot lighter and in what I thought was great condition, I still didn't get to the "greek goddess body" stage that I worked utterly, utterly hard to get. I worked out 4 to 6x a week, 2-3 hrs at a time.

Of course, I was a lot younger then. But I know there's a beautiful bod somenwhere underneath this disguise. I can feel it.

I'm just wondering if I will ever SEE it in my liftime.

Miss B

Hey didn't mean to butt in on your discussion... slowly backing out..

Don't back up! Stay here!

You were working out too long before, and probably doing too much cardio.
Really, it's the weightlifting that does the trick, and only for an hour at a time.

I would hesitate to do any form of carbup until you start lifting, but when you're ready to take this step, drop me a PM and we'll see what we can do.

Good luck

- Built

fridayeyes
Sat, May-15-04, 16:26
This is making more and more sense, btw. In my last weeks of BFL where I was low-carbing, lifting on dextrose and taking free day on Sat, I could carb like mad on Sat and *still* bonk my sorry arse by Tues or Weds cardio.

Do those carb meals have to be low-fat/ hi GI? Which of you is doing the LC bulk? The other possible problem I see is that if I eat less than 150 g ofprotein, I become ravenously hungry. I need 180-200 g to stay satisfied. I've tried the 70% fat route, but it cuts into the protein and I get unpleasantly hungry. any thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers,

Friday

liftnlady
Sat, May-15-04, 16:41
I think it going to depend on how many cals you are on...for instance I am on 2000 right now and I am allowed 125 grams of protein, 149 fat and 35 carbs (net of fiber). This is a 25/68/7 split. Now I am told you can have more calories on this plan so if you weigh more your daily cals would be higher. I am at about 131, I am going to keep my cals the same for a few weeks keeping 3 HIIT sessions and 1 60 min cardio a week and see if the weight starts to drop, if not I will probably have to cut the cals a bit to get it moving. Built and Legwarmers can help you with what your daily cals should be.

fridayeyes
Sat, May-15-04, 16:50
Thanks! My scale weight is *coff* significantly higher than yours, so I probably have room to up the cals. If left to my own devices, I naturally cycle my calories, very low right after free day (not hungry) and topping out around 2200-2500 on Friday right before free day.

I've done CKD before and liked it. Ditto TKD. (dextrose junkie!) I bulked like crazy on the BFL diet tho and still managed to drop 24 lbs of 'fluff'. I'd like to push for a few more lbs of LBM, but I may not have much more room to do so. We shall see. Right now, my upper body is totally wussy compared to lower. One of the tricks I used to get my arse into the gym until it was a habit was "Ok, look - if you'll just go to the gym, you can do legs, ok?" Good news is, I got me some fine legs once the fat is gone! Now I want biceps, tho. :D :D

Thanks for the tips,

Friday

liftnlady
Sat, May-15-04, 17:14
I would say then that you coul dprobably start out at 2400-2500 and easily get the protein you need to keep you full as well as all the other macros. I am probably gonna have to drop the cals or up the cardio a bit to get this last bit off...but I am waiting for word on that from the gurus. I have been doing this diet for 2 weeks now and lost basically 4lbs the fist week and have stuck since then, so some thing has to change, or I may have to just stay at this level for a little while longer to get my body to adjust. It is a constant learning and adjustment process to get the right ratios, but that is part of the fun..kinda

Built
Sat, May-15-04, 17:45
Friday, there's nothing I can add to this conversation. Liftn has given you excellent advise.

:)

RoseTattoo
Sat, May-15-04, 18:03
How can you all eat so many calories and not gain BF???? Stupid question probably, but I just don't get it! I'm weight training--hard--three days a week and can't go much higher than 1300 cals (I currently weigh 115, with a whopping 29% BF).

Built
Sat, May-15-04, 19:59
Post up your diet - how do you eat, when do you eat, when do you train, what do you lift. Let's start from there. Is it in your journal?

RoseTattoo
Sun, May-16-04, 06:21
Thanks, built. I will do. No, not in my journal.

MissBehave
Sun, May-16-04, 08:32
Don't back up! Stay here!

You were working out too long before, and probably doing too much cardio.
Really, it's the weightlifting that does the trick, and only for an hour at a time.

I would hesitate to do any form of carbup until you start lifting, but when you're ready to take this step, drop me a PM and we'll see what we can do.

Good luck

- Built
Thanks Built! Actually I lost a major part of my gluteal muscles doing all the cardio.. I was toned but ... jeez. My legs were good though. Yes, that was many years ago..

I know weights can do a lot, I just don't have access to a gym. I am in the process of just trying to lose fat weight, on Atkins. Did I say, I am not too sure I can continue on this forever? I'm afraid to leave the induction stage.. but I feel like I am missing out on a lot. I'm not much of a junk food eater, very rare. I'm allergic to lots of foods (most summer fruits, nuts, shrimp) and every once in a while I'd like to have a normal meal!

I want to be able to maintain fitness internally and sculpt externally. I'm a long way off... I am pretty sure there isn't much I can do .. is there?

Well, I think I'm a problem child, so I don't know if any of this will work. Reading the extique site reminded me that there are a lot of things out there that I don't know about keeping a body fit, aside from straight excercise and what is purported to be a good diet. What wAS yesterday, has likely been improved on Today as far as fitness and shaping techniques go.... at least a few times over.

I'll try to get to goal and then get back to you Built... maybe there is hope for me yet.

MissB

fridayeyes
Sun, May-16-04, 08:45
*bouncing up and down with glee* I go back to the gym tomorrow. I go back to the gym tomorrow! Gonna hurt like heck come Wednesday or so, but my supps should arrive by then. *Friday lays in wait for the UPS man* Vacation, conference, then exams and I haven't lifted for about two weeks. Eeek!

Cheers,

Friday