PDA

View Full Version : question about eating out and eating ethnic cuisines:

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

daguttgrl7
Wed, May-05-04, 21:17
greetings,
since really being into this woe, i am wondering if anyone has some advice or ideas on eating out and on the run. for now, i 've been just getting simple foods: grilled meats and veggies or salads with just olive oil and lemon juice. if anyone has other ideas i'd love to know!
also, i LOVE indian food, chinese, vietnemese, and thai foods - actually all ethnic foods - but i'll stick to those for now. i know that in thai food they use a lot of coconut milk which is supposed to be good, but i know that they also use a lot of sugar in all their dishes, which is NOT good. what is a dish that doesn't have hidden/added sugar? same with most oriental foods i thought. i'm half asian and grew up cooking/eating these foods, and know that i was taught to add some sugar as flavoring to many dishes. i miss eating at these places and would love to know that it's still possible with my new woe! also, what is a good dish that is 'neanderthin-safe' to order at indian restaraunts?

just wondering - thanks

danni

arcticslug
Thu, May-06-04, 15:38
I know that in my Thai and Indian cookbooks occasionally they use a teaspoon of sugar here and there, but it didn't seem like much. When I use the recipes at home I omit the sugar. When I'm out at a restaurant, as long as the food doesn't TASTE sweet, it's pretty much OK with me. This is just me though...you'd have to see how you deal with it yourself.

I'm not enough of an expert yet to know what dishes don't have sugar added. You'd probably know better than me!

MichaelG
Thu, May-06-04, 20:33
In shopping mall 'food courts' here in Australia and I'm sure everywhere else there are chinese serve-yourself food outlets where you take the plate (large or small) and serve yourself from an array of hot pans, and pay at the end of the counter, I go for stuff like chicken and vegetables, mongolian lamb, beef in black bean sauce etc. and avoid the rice, singapore noodles or whatever.

I love Indian food. Don't know anything about Neanderthin but a good solid serve of meat dopiaza without the rice shouldn't contain anything too nasty!

cheers

Michael Gardner