PDA

View Full Version : Can't up my carbs without gaining weight

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jbugg
Wed, May-05-04, 07:29
I have been on induction for about a month now. Only lost about 5 pounds overall which is a little frustrating but I am okay with it because it still has worked better than anything else I have ever tried. Problem is everytime I try to move from induction and add some carbs I start gaining weight. I am just below 20 now and even if I had 5 more carbs I seem to gain. I would really like to start adding some fruit because that is what I am craving but I don't want to gain those hard earned 5 pounds back. I don't cheat. I normally have eggs for breakfast every morning and tuna with mayo for lunch on a salad and chicken breast or fish for dinner. I snack on cheese and pepperettes during the day and if I am really hungry and don' have anything else I have an atkins bar. I don't really have any cravings though. The whole eating thing is kind of a pain for me. I excercise pretty intense at least 3x a week but lately haven't had as much energy as I have had in the past. (I have been excercising for about a year now) The fitness instructor told me that it is because I am not eating carbs and I need carbs for energy. I have lost a few inches but not down a size yet. My clothes are just a bit looser. I lost the five pounds in the first week. I really would be happy if I could get down three more pounds just to be making more progress. I do feel better on this way of life (other than the lack of energy lately) but it is frustrating that it is so hard to get where I want to be. The Gym where I go is suggesting that I get on the Zone program and I had a program done up for me but I am scared of the carbs. I am scared that I will start gaining weight on it. They said that I won't but they don't know my metabolism. It seems like just looking at other people eating, I gain weight.
Anyway, sorry this is so long. Just looking for advice. I know it is different for everyone but just wondering if anything I could do. Thanks

Hugaby
Wed, May-05-04, 07:56
Our present and goal stats are almost the same. I cant increase my carbs either Im still at 20. I am fighting for every single pound. I started craving fruit also. Ive been having a protein shake in the AM with 2 frozen blackberries and my 1/2 cottage cheese at lunch with 2 SLICES of a canned 0 sugar peach. It seems to keep my fruit craving under control. I had spoken with a fitness trainer because the scale was not moving. Im not a measurement person, even though I did measure and still do I WANT TO SEE THE NUMBER MAN!!!. Anyway he asked what I was eating and I told him the 20 carbs and then he said the E word , exercise. He told me that after several weeks our body adjust to what we eat and activity level regardless of what it is, (thanks huh?) So, He said 1) vary your carbs 15-20-25 off and on, and increase the intensity of your exercise, Not so much the time even though he suggested I go from 30 min a day to 60 and 2)add some resistance (weights) so I did. That was at 145 about 5 weeks ago. Im now at 136 as of this AM. It does slow to a snail pace as you and I do not have much more to lose. I lose about 1 lb every 10 days and fight for every one of them. I also have to drink my water and watch my sodium so I cant pig out on pork rinds. I retain water horribly. In addition Aspertame(diet soda) processed foods (cheese and salami and your peperoni things have nitrates) and sugar alcohols(atkins bars) stall me. So If I partake, I dont lose. There are alot of threads on this website about these items. They may be what is slowing you especially if eaten every day. I have 1 diet soda a day and I do drink too much coffee about 2-3c. a day. I have to have caffeine or my migranes kick in. You might just increase your intensity of your workouts and vary the carbs and see what happens. In addition watch the cheese and Atkins bars. Good luck you are doing great and are almost there!!!!

adkpam
Wed, May-05-04, 08:04
If you add in carbs you will retain some water. And if you are seriously exercising you will burn them off. I can understand "not wanting it to break!" but as a fit person with not so much to lose any progress at this point is measured in inches, not miles.

Personally, I'd throw away my scale, or at least stay away from it. People can fluctuate FIVE POUNDS during the course of the day, it just drives you crazy.

Besides which, low carbing makes you denser. Do you just have a number in your head you want to weigh? Low carb means you have to adjust that number.

Of course you have places you want to improve. EVERYONE does. I would also suggest shaking up your exercise routine as you shake up your food routine. Instead of running (lower body) trying rowing (upper body too.) If you've been doing lots of weights, do more reps, less weight, or vice versa. Bodies get used to the same old, same old, and then they get more efficient. Trainers usually have you switch around every six weeks.

KoKo
Wed, May-05-04, 08:05
I think you should try staying at about 25 carbs for a week and see, if you want some fruit add in some strawberries and just see what happens.

There's a couple of things that could be happening, the pepperette things and the cheese probably have a lot of salt in them, and it might be that you are actually not gaining weight from 5 more carbs but retaining fluid from the salt and additives in those foods. You would probably be better to drop the Atkins bar and use berries of some other LC fruit or veg instead, these foods will also help you get rid of water retention. Also, the pepperete sticks and cheese are pretty high calorie and although you are technically not supposed to count calories, for some people they do matter and especially since you don't have a whole lot to lose.

I really understand how you feel, being scared to gain by adding in some carbs, but I don't think you should panic and even though it will be hard, try it for at least a week and see what happens. I am pretty sure you will not gain 5 lbs in a week from adding in a few berries, especially if you control the cheese, pepperoni, and the Atkins bar.